HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Sep 11, 2008, 10:15 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sauril View Post
^ Congrats! I work a few blocks away from there and went by for lunch a few times. Are they making it more upscale?

Thanks! I don't know if they plan any changes, but the place could use a restaurant makeover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1 View Post
The Spillery is catchy.
Thanks! I don't know why spillery popped into my head. Maybe the restaurant will add meaning to the name over time.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 3:19 AM

Furry, (or anyone else who has an idea,) as the huge coffee geek that i know you are, I was wondering if you would be able to help me..

It is my father's 50th birthday (I'm only 17) in two weeks, and I was thinking of getting him a new coffee maker.. It wouldn't need to be something too serious, as he does not drink espresso, just coffee. I am only able to spend about $200 on the machine, and was just wondering if you had any recommendations as to what I should look at, and where it may be available.

Thanks!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 3:22 AM
effete latte-lifter

^^Do you just want a drip coffee maker?

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 2:48 PM
Editor

If anyone here enjoys French baked goods , there's a new bakery on Northmount Drive called Eclair de Lune. Give it a try if near that area, it's awesome. The best Croissants I've ever had. They also have chicken filled croissant's that are killer.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 8:57 PM

Quote:
^^Do you just want a drip coffee maker?
I'm not sure about what he prefers, right now all he has is an old blade grinder which he seems happy with, but before he had a drip machine, and seemed fine with with that too.

So just whatever machine you guys think is the best for around $200 should be great!

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 9:47 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofferson View Post
Furry, (or anyone else who has an idea,) as the huge coffee geek that i know you are, I was wondering if you would be able to help me..

It is my father's 50th birthday (I'm only 17) in two weeks, and I was thinking of getting him a new coffee maker.. It wouldn't need to be something too serious, as he does not drink espresso, just coffee. I am only able to spend about $200 on the machine, and was just wondering if you had any recommendations as to what I should look at, and where it may be available.

Thanks!
Best rated brewed coffee maker is by Technivorm and you can get it from Transcend in Edmonton, but it's closer to $300-

http://www.transcendcoffee.com/products/3/

But really a great system for making coffee is a french press pot with a decent burr grinder- so if I were you I'd get dad a nice $200-ish grinder, like a Baratza Virtuoso, and then spend $20 or less for a decent bodum or other brand press pot.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 10:15 PM
effete latte-lifter

^^Yeah I was about to say a good grinder (and give him some good beans at the same time) might be the way to go instead of a maker. Those Technivorm systems are pretty nifty though.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2008, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrycanuck View Post
Best rated brewed coffee maker is by Technivorm and you can get it from Transcend in Edmonton, but it's closer to $300-

http://www.transcendcoffee.com/products/3/

But really a great system for making coffee is a french press pot with a decent burr grinder- so if I were you I'd get dad a nice $200-ish grinder, like a Baratza Virtuoso, and then spend $20 or less for a decent bodum or other brand press pot.
While we're taking advantage of your vast coffee knowledge, can you tell me the advantage of a $200 grinder over, say, the $30 one I currently have?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2008, 12:47 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me&You View Post
While we're taking advantage of your vast coffee knowledge, can you tell me the advantage of a $200 grinder over, say, the $30 one I currently have?
The $200 will have better quality burrs, more powerful motor and a better build in general. I also noticed right away when I upgraded from a $50 Braun burr grinder to a $300 Rancilio Rocky that the Rocky is MUCH quieter.

But if your needs are simple, a $30 grinder might be as much as you need. I drink espresso and I can't grind for espresso with a cheap grinder, but if I only drank drip, I might find one sufficient.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 1:14 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Just discovered the neatest new place in Inglewood, that is to chocolate truffles what Crave is to cupcakes.

It's called (I might have the spelling slightly off) Chokolat, and everything there is handmade right in front of you. I've never enjoyed a $3 brownie more in my life. Dessert tonight is some of their handmade chocolate bars.

I'm really loving these high end sweets places in Calgary. I'm rapidly moving away from trying to maximize my sugar dollars, and more savouring absolutely sinfully good (and expensive) treats.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 1:34 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

It's "Choklat"- desperate to check it out!

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 4:30 AM
Editor

Such a gorgeous day out, I decided to do some walking around the beltline area.

The Metropolitan Grill for lunch on the rooftop patio. One of the best patio locations in town.

My usual coffee place

Time for a cool drink

Saw this also....don't know if it's been mentioned before. I thought they got shot down trying to put their pub there?

Last edited by Surrealplaces; Sep 15, 2008 at 4:55 AM.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 2:41 PM

Very cool. It would be great to see more photo posts of the restaurant, pub, patio, scene in Calgary.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2008, 5:00 PM

Great news about Jameson Pub going into that spot

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 4:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Mildly squeamish? Never want to eat out again? Click here!

I swear to dog, every place I've eaten in the past week has been written up for several violations of the CHR.

Thankfully I'm not bothered by a bit o' bacteria, but maybe I'll help some folks out with their diets.

I actually hate the new format of the CHR's inspection reports. While it's good they list all items that failed the check, I think they need to indicate those restaurants that truly have failed better on those particular reports. For example, if they receive a 'shut down' order it should show up there. Witness any of the restaurants on the below executive order lists - their shut down orders don't show up on their routine inspection reports. Joe public might read too much into a report otherwise. The public needs a little more to go on methinks.

I also believe those inspection reports need to be taken with a grain of salt. A restaurant getting written up because of procedures not being posted is a lot different (in my books anyways) that one that has vermin around.

To me, the best reports are still the executive reports here: If you're on this list - I don't eat there period - and I'm a pretty lenient guy. That includes you too F.A.T.S!

http://www.calgaryhealthregion.ca/pu...nspections.htm

Old Posted Sep 16, 2008, 7:15 AM

Even some of the executive reports have to be taken with a grain of salt. For instance one restaurant in that list had a shutdown notice not for any food handling problems, but rather because the new owners didn't get the permit changed to their name by the time the inspectors came around (if I recall correctly, probably under a week after they took possession). The kitchen staff were all the same, but due to the name on the sheet of paper they were ordered closed.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Sep 17, 2008, 4:40 AM

Any idea on the timeline for the opening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surrealplaces View Post

Saw this also....don't know if it's been mentioned before. I thought they got shot down trying to put their pub there?

Old Posted Sep 20, 2008, 4:55 PM

re: The Spillery

I must say, I am a big fan of their pizza - currently my go-to place despite the long drive for pick-up. And it is really, really cheap. Just don't get it delivered - it gets soggy.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 7:03 PM

Sampled a couple places on 8th recently, both rated pretty well in my books.

Firstly, went to Divino Wine and Cheese bar. With a group, so ordered a good sampling of food. Tried appetizers, meal, desert, and assorted cheese plate, as well as a couple glasses of wine. Food was good tasting and presented pretty well, and wine was excellent.

Secondly, attended a private function in the basement of Tribune restaurant. The wine being served was OK, but I didn't love it... liked the selections better at Divino. Food was really good though IMO, although, never tried a full meal... just hors d'oeuvres

Old Posted Sep 22, 2008, 8:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberFive View Post
Sampled a couple places on 8th recently, both rated pretty well in my books.

Firstly, went to Divino Wine and Cheese bar. With a group, so ordered a good sampling of food. Tried appetizers, meal, desert, and assorted cheese plate, as well as a couple glasses of wine. Food was good tasting and presented pretty well, and wine was excellent.

Secondly, attended a private function in the basement of Tribune restaurant. The wine being served was OK, but I didn't love it... liked the selections better at Divino. Food was really good though IMO, although, never tried a full meal... just hors d'oeuvres
I ate at Tribune about a month ago, and it was very good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation