HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
I'm sure it was a sellout, but I'm not sure if it had full attendance.
People leaving for the drinking areas accounts accounts for the odd empty seats mixed throughout the grandstand, but the right side of the grandstand had a decent number of nearly empty rows. Is it just a coincidence that the majority of drinkers happened to have seats on the right side of the grandstand?
thats bench seating area where people tend to shift seats a lot more. so naturally people will gravitate to sections closer to the centre that have been vacated by the people in the beer garden, thus leaving large gaps on the ends. also when the stadium only has 5500 seats 1000 ppl in the drinking area accounts for almost 20% of the entire capacity, more than just the odd empty seat mixed throughout the grandstand. that is compounded by the fact this wasn't your regular cfl game where you could purchase your drink and walk back to your seat, you had to physically stay in the drinking area until your drink was done. and if you wanted another.... well you get the idea

compare that to assigned individual seating at midfield, the gaps were not as clustered because people were not allowed to shift to better seats

people on the ticats forum said the stadium was bursting at the seams. capcaity is 5500 and they sold 6500 tickets. even if 20% of the ppl with tickets didn't show up it would have been at capacity. furthermore, ppl with tickets had to REALLY want to go to this game as they had to convert their THF tix to MAC tix within the last 2 weeks. doubt they would go through that trouble and not show up

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king10 View Post
thats general admission area. so naturally people will gravitate to sections closer to the centre that have been vacated by the hundreds in the beer garden, thus leaving large gaps on the ends.

compare that to assigned seating at midfield, the gaps were not as clustered because people were not allowed to shift to better seats.
Ah, ok... that makes sense. I did find it odd they were big chunks of empty seats there - which really stands out on TV.

I'm not sure how cameras are normally set up for MAC games, but it looked like TSN's cameras were set up to keep a tight and low shot - so not to show too much of the stands. Although that might be normal camera position for this stadium.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berklon View Post
Ah, ok... that makes sense. I did find it odd they were big chunks of empty seats there - which really stands out on TV.

I'm not sure how cameras are normally set up for MAC games, but it looked like TSN's cameras were set up to keep a tight and low shot - so not to show too much of the stands. Although that might be normal camera position for this stadium.
I edited my post. MAC games those sections were general admission. they may have been assigned "bench seating" though not even sure if those bleachers are numbered. anyways still a lot more shuffling around than individual seats

agree with your point on the camera angle though. for CIS brodcasts on the score/ sportsnet the skyjacks they rent are usually extended a bit higher. not sure why TSN chose to keep them so low

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:49 PM

Quote:
agree with your point on the camera angle though. for CIS brodcasts on the score/ sportsnet the skyjacks they rent are usually extended a bit higher. not sure why TSN chose to keep them so low
TSN and the CFL are known to use low angles to "hide" empty seats. For example, I can't remember the last time I saw the TV camera actually follow a kick through the air at Rogers Center. It's not as embarrassing to the CIS to see empty seats on national TV, I suppose.

I can imagine that the last couple seasons have been tough on Ti-Cat supporters. As much as I've dearly loved the CFL for over 30 years, I'm not sure that it's been a hot enough ticket in my lifetime to drive the non-die hard fans in most cities to jump through hoops to attend games.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stainless View Post
TSN and the CFL are known to use low angles to "hide" empty seats. For example, I can't remember the last time I saw the TV camera actually follow a kick through the air at Rogers Center. It's not as embarrassing to the CIS to see empty seats on national TV, I suppose.

I can imagine that the last couple seasons have been tough on Ti-Cat supporters. As much as I've dearly loved the CFL for over 30 years, I'm not sure that it's been a hot enough ticket in my lifetime to drive the non-die hard fans in most cities to jump through hoops to attend games.
i actually noticed that in Edmonton this past Thursday. the camera didn't follow the ball into the air after kickoff, rather concentrated on the players running downfield. was interesting considering 40 000 people were in attendance and that was the largest crowd of the CFL season. also the stands were pretty packed at Ron Joyce yesterday, i thought it wouldve been fine to show a higher angle

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:21 PM

Quote:
also the stands were pretty packed at Ron Joyce yesterday, i thought it wouldve been fine to show a higher angle
Eh, I dunno. As someone who doesn't know that stadium or the area, I had no idea that there were beer gardens and standing room behind the stands. Maybe TSN showed those on the pre-game or something, but they didn't appear to show that kind of stuff during the actual broadcast.

What I did see was gaps in a 6000 seat stadium, which is why I made my original post above. It didn't look great, and I've seen a few other comments to that effect elsewhere. I think it would have done the team and your city a service to send a camera back there to show people having a great time and supporting the Cats even if they're not in the stands at that moment.

Maybe that happened and I didn't see it (I missed a few minutes here and there), but I guess I'm a little surprised that TSN and the CFL aren't working harder to show the bright spots in the MUCH maligned Southern Ontario football scene.

Old Posted Today, 1:04 AM

There may or may not have been 6000 at the game yesterday but, really, it's moot > the game would have been sold out had it been played at THF.

All that said, there are a lot of p*ssed-off Ti-Cat fans out there right now.

Old Posted Today, 1:04 AM

I was at Ron Joyce Stadium for the Ti-Cats/REDBLACKS game. Nice little stadium. The stands are well-raked so the sightlines are good. No track so you are right on top of the field. When it was quiet you could hear the rustle of the cheerleaders' pom-poms from half way across the field. However, when people got loud there were time count violations.

It was rather different having no beer in the stands. It is quite true that hundreds of beer drinkers were out of sight at any given time. Many of the Box J boys decamped to the end zone beer garden. Many other fans were stuck behind the stands.

I can see why McMaster did not want to set up temporary stands last year; there just isn't enough room on the far side of the field without causing major disruption. There was just enough room for the benches and the TV cameras, which were on top of scissor lifts, similar to what they had in the end zones in Guelph last year.

Also drove by THF. Still essentially dirt under the east side stands, although some prep work has been done. Cannot see it being ready for the Calgary game and they will have to motor to make it for Labour Day, even in basic form.

Old Posted Today, 10:05 AM

Quote:
yellow seats would fade very vast. also not sure if you had ever been to the old ivor wynne but it wasn't uncommon for the stadium to be covered with a nice layer of filth from the nearby factories lol

those yellow seats would need to be washed weekly or else they'd be pretty dirty looking. yuck
Ahh good explanation fella. They probably accounted for the filth and Grey turned out to be the lesser of all evils

Old Posted Today, 10:06 AM

Do any of the winnipeg peeps have any updates on the MTS Centre upgrades? I can't only imagine that's gotta be finished up now.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada