HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 4:10 PM

You're exactly right, Leo, however, the summer of 2008 storm really was one of the biggest in Phoenix's recorded history. In my life (31 years of living in Phoenix), Aug 2008 and the summer of 1996 (aug I think) are the two largest summer monsoon storms we've ever had... they were the biggest and most wide-spread.

This was a very powerful storm as well, as far as winter goes. The lowest ever pressure was recorded in Phoenix on Thursday night... 29.20 in of mercury.

It didn't have the most rain, and not nearly as much as the forecasters predicted for Phoenix, but it was still cool!

Old Posted Jan 23, 2010, 9:24 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
You're exactly right, Leo, however, the summer of 2008 storm really was one of the biggest in Phoenix's recorded history. In my life (31 years of living in Phoenix), Aug 2008 and the summer of 1996 (aug I think) are the two largest summer monsoon storms we've ever had... they were the biggest and most wide-spread.

This was a very powerful storm as well, as far as winter goes. The lowest ever pressure was recorded in Phoenix on Thursday night... 29.20 in of mercury.

It didn't have the most rain, and not nearly as much as the forecasters predicted for Phoenix, but it was still cool!
Oh absolutely! As for the storm of Aug 08, unfortunately I went to Sedona/Flag for the weekend. I was hoping to see some great thunderstorms in the mtns, and not a drop fell, missed the storm in the Valley, saw it on the news in Sedona.

I did see the aftermath cleanup though, pretty good damage for a localized T-Storm.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 2:02 AM
E pluribus unum

It looked like Phoenix had been hit by a tornado the day after.

Idiot me was at a concert at Cricket that night. Left early because not even the Pavilion was offering protection. Too much wind.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 3:09 AM
Becoming Chicago-fied!

So, how much snow did Flagstaff get from these storms?

Aaron (Glowrock)

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 3:17 AM
E pluribus unum

45.7 inches since last Sunday.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2010, 3:41 AM
The Man

I went to Tempe Town Lake today and took some pictures. Most of them are posted at http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=177850

DT Phoenix

DT Tempe

Old Posted Jan 25, 2010, 7:45 PM

My neighbor's ceiling caved in from all of the rain last Thursday. His roof leaked and the sheetrock got wet on the ceiling, and then whammo! A 6' by 4' section came down. Fortunately the roof is the responsibility of the HOA...

--don

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 4:50 PM

How about this awesome weather? It has been a while since we have had consistent weekly rain for the better part of two months. Just enough to keep the trees green and temperatures low but not too much to totally disturb your daily life (too much rain can certainly be a bad thing).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2010, 5:42 PM
BANNED

yea, remember november 2004?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 7:56 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
So uh...is the drought over or what? It seems like its rained once a week at least for a month or more now, I can't ever remember this much consistent rain.

EDIT: VV I was in Missouri in 06

Last edited by HooverDam; Mar 7, 2010 at 8:22 PM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 8:04 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 9:35 PM
BANNED

I'd say the drought is over. I saw on the news last week that SRP lakes are near capacity. Roosevelt is at 99% and has been releasing water in anticipation of spring thaw/snow melt. The Salt water shed and snowpack is over 200-250% above what's considered "normal" for this time of year.

We have too much water than we know what to do with.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 9:45 PM
BANNED

yeah, NOW we do. Unfortunately for a drought to be over, we need to have several years of this.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 11:07 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
No way. For instance when the "Hattie B" was running due to floods was much worse:

http://archive.azrail.org/azrail/hattieb/index.htm
Those storms were quite bad, but the flood control systems that the Army Corps of Engineers have since put into place mitigate the effects of all that water.

The August 28th storm was just surreal. Right before the power went out the www radar showed a 40 mile wall of water approaching the metro from the east. I drove through west Midtown and the east Phoenix walmart area the day after for about 10 miles and just about every stoplight was out except for 2. It had looked like a low grade hurricane had hit us.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 11:48 PM

We've receive a lot of rain in the NNW Valley this year, much more than the central parts I think.

Today's rain brought 0.71" so far to bring the total for the year to 6.02"...not too bad considering March has just begun.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2010, 11:55 PM
BANNED

We got a lot here in Paradise Valley. Actually, for a majority of the day we couldn't see Camelback or Mummy Mountain, even though we are actually on Camelback.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 2:40 PM
BANNED

Enjoy this nice cool damp weather while it lasts. You never know when the last pacific storm rolls in/out before the dry summer months invade.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 3:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
We've receive a lot of rain in the NNW Valley this year, much more than the central parts I think.

Today's rain brought 0.71" so far to bring the total for the year to 6.02"...not too bad considering March has just begun.

Yeah, you're right. I've got a friend up there off of Happy Valley that I constantly talk with, especially during storms. He's also said it's the most hail he's seen in one season that he can remember.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2010, 4:50 PM
High Voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
Those storms were quite bad, but the flood control systems that the Army Corps of Engineers have since put into place mitigate the effects of all that water.

The August 28th storm was just surreal. Right before the power went out the www radar showed a 40 mile wall of water approaching the metro from the east. I drove through west Midtown and the east Phoenix walmart area the day after for about 10 miles and just about every stoplight was out except for 2. It had looked like a low grade hurricane had hit us.
Essentially it was. The storm had the power of one anyway. If it were actually one, the way I understand it, it would have been classified as a Category 2 hurricane. Winds in the Tempe area were recorded at 102 mph not too far from where I was. That was no fun.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2010, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZ4ate0 View Post
Essentially it was. The storm had the power of one anyway. If it were actually one, the way I understand it, it would have been classified as a Category 2 hurricane. Winds in the Tempe area were recorded at 102 mph not too far from where I was. That was no fun.
True, microbursts can generate incredible wind speeds. 100+ mph for sure

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest