HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 8, 2024, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerHaight View Post
The wide lanes on the Granville Bridge are at least partially to blame for the extreme speeding. It's not uncommon to see vehicles travelling at 80+ km/hr, which makes using the sidewalks and crosswalks on the bridge a hair-raising experience.
But lack of traffic on the bridge because of overcapacity and almost zero speed enforcement is a larger issue. If you had four lanes of 2.9m wide lanes people would still speed with the current configuration.

I think people in the centre two lanes also feel more braver to speed since they aren't next to a divider/sidewalk. But the Burrard Street Bridge seems a bit extreme on the other end where you have concrete dividers right next to the lane marker forcing larger cars to encroach the left lane.

Last edited by jollyburger; Apr 8, 2024 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 9:45 PM

Src: is ZepVancouver's screencap https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...6&postcount=39 from giallo's video: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=2886 (hope you guys are ok with me re-posting this content, if not, let me know).

An illustrative view of what is being demolished. I'll try to get an update soon or maybe Zep can if he has time?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post

An illustrative view of what is being demolished. I'll try to get an update soon or maybe Zep can if he has time?
I went by there on the weekend and it didn't seem like they were working at all. Meanwhile whoever was doing the work on Drake Street project was at hard at work. Similarly, nothing is being done on the bridge deck at all while they demolish the approach. They've put down concrete barriers keeping traffic from the two westernmost lanes yet have blocked bikes from using that empty space instead of the sidewalk.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnext View Post
I went by there on the weekend and it didn't seem like they were working at all. Meanwhile whoever was doing the work on Drake Street project was at hard at work. Similarly, nothing is being done on the bridge deck at all while they demolish the approach. They've put down concrete barriers keeping traffic from the two westernmost lanes yet have blocked bikes from using that empty space instead of the sidewalk.
I think all the bridge lane closures have to do with the removal of the section of the bridge on the North side. Why they didn't time it with construction on the bridge who knows.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
...or maybe Zep can if...
this morning 11:30 am
No, not much movement on the demo work but the new roadway is showing its form.
Reciprocating with Jimbo604

https://makeagif.com/i/JuO-4E

https://makeagif.com/i/We2dxE
Quote:
(hope you guys are ok with me re-posting this content, if not, let me know).
I consider all of my videos and images as public domain, if you make a profit from it, good for you.
I get more satisfaction at seeing my content on others postings or articles than any monetary gain, no need for permission.

Last edited by Zepfancouver; Apr 15, 2024 at 11:30 PM. Reason: re-posting question

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 10:51 PM

From that pic, the former loop ramps seem to hit grade at about the alley,
so the new roads will likely be similar in grade (although the ramps were a bit longer with the curve).

Quote:

Src: is ZepVancouver's screencap https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...6&postcount=39 from giallo's video: https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=2886 (hope you guys are ok with me re-posting this content, if not, let me know).

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
I think all the bridge lane closures have to do with the removal of the section of the bridge on the North side. Why they didn't time it with construction on the bridge who knows.
I guess, I was just surprised that they seemed to have dropped everything to do the section removal and nobody is working on anything on the bridge span.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I guess, I was just surprised that they seemed to have dropped everything to do the section removal and nobody is working on anything on the bridge span.
Some idiots were throwing some of the barriers off the side of the bridge the last time they were doing deck repair work.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 11:37 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised that no movie shoot is using the site for filming.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
this morning 11:30 am. No, not much movement on the demo work but the new roadway is showing its form. Reciprocating with Jimbo604

Awesome update, Zep!

They quickly demolished about 80% of the bridge but now the last bit has been largely unchanged for three weeks (see Zep's March 28th post). So it's a little perplexing.

Anyone have an idea why these guys are all suited up as well as their lift? Something hazardous in the bridge joint?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:47 PM

It looks like those center sections are hollow so maybe they found some hazardous materials inside that needs to be cleaned out.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 4:02 AM

End of the week update

Today

No idea what kind of abatement on the westside edge of the deck, but its slowly moving along.

Large panorama image

What's happening on the eastside is way over my head, but it's happening.

Last edited by Zepfancouver; May 3, 2024 at 7:11 AM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepfancouver View Post
What's happening on the eastside is way over my head, but it's happening
Installing fill up to the new grade? It’s hard to tell but that manhole is possibly installed showing us the level of the new roadway.

Thanks for the pics.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 9:10 AM

Quote:
It looks like those center sections are hollow so maybe they found some hazardous materials inside that needs to be cleaned out.
or maybe a body?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 12:42 PM

Quote:
The current bridge was opened in 1954 and asbestos started being banned in Canada starting in the 80s, with exceptions

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 4:23 PM

Great update, Zep!

I don't think we were expecting abatement on a bridge. Especially after they had already demolished a good amount of it.

Oh well, all good things to those who wait.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 5:48 PM

Quote:
...I don't think we were expecting abatement on a bridge. Especially after they had already demolished a good amount of it...
Perhaps this location was noted in the pre-work inspection and analysis of the materials involved,
or maybe a worker noticed something unusual (a new material on the bridge) during demolition and brought attention to it (gave notice).
There are no stupid or "must be nothing" questions (you can't know everything) when working in construction.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 6:23 PM

Quote:
I don't think we were expecting abatement on a bridge. Especially after they had already demolished a good amount of it.
The City anticipated the need for "Asbestos and lead abatement procedures related to structure demolition and asphalt removal".

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 6:49 PM

Some more details

Quote:
The asphalt on the Granville Street Bridge contains asbestos. It is not expected that the Consultant shall require the collection of new material (concrete, steel) samples to assist with establishing material properties and design parameters as asbestos testing along the Granville Bridge was completed in 2020. Results of this testing can be found in the reference documents provided. If the Consultant believes additional testing along the bridge is required to advance the detailed design, this should be specified and rationalized in their proposal. The Consultant shall consider asbestos management and abatement in the design and sequencing of all project works, as well as any additional environmental requirements outlined in Section 4.4 below.
Quote:
i. Asbestos and lead in the asphalt;
ii. Existing bird netting on the Bridge;
iii. PCB in the bearings;
iv. Soil contamination;
v. Lead abatement in existing structural elements and railings;
vi. Concrete removal and disposal.
Quote:
The proposed H-network at the north end of Granville Bridge will be a temporary asphalt pavement structure, to be replaced with a permanent pavement structure (as outlined in the City of Vancouver Standard Detail Drawings) with future development of the adjacent sites. The interim road condition may be in place for a number of years and a variety of vehicles, including construction equipment, will be accessing these roads.
https://bids.vancouver.ca/bidopp/RFP...opsRemoval.PDF

Old Posted May 3, 2024, 7:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
Installing fill up to the new grade? It’s hard to tell but that manhole is possibly installed showing us the level of the new roadway.
Thanks for the pics.
Wednesday May 01, 2024, walking to the Fresh St. Market and heard a sound I haven't heard in a couple of weeks. Must check it out.

The build-up to the new road grade continues. (madog222, you're right, that catch basin is installed and shows the new grade level)
The new road (intersection) to the bridge's off-ramp wont have much of a slope from what I see on the eastside, the westside, we'll see.

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure