HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 3:46 PM

Wow, this is a beautiful and wonderful project, I sure hope that it gets started soon. It really got my attention when I saw it in the paper this past weekend.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:18 PM

I can't recall if this has been mentioned already but the Tuttle Bros. Funeral home on Lutz st. will be moving within a year. A developer has purchased the property. This is a very significant and valuable property downtown.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:22 PM

Now imagine if the city was to move the market...that would be a HUGE section of central downtown all in one spot...

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 6:36 PM

Be a nice spot for a parking garage.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2014, 8:20 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Boy View Post
I can't recall if this has been mentioned already but the Tuttle Bros. Funeral home on Lutz st. will be moving within a year. A developer has purchased the property. This is a very significant and valuable property downtown.
No, I don't think it was mentioned. This is very interesting. As you have said, if combined with the existing farmers market, this becomes a substantial bit of land that could be prime for redevelopment of some kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Be a nice spot for a parking garage.
Perhaps; it is right next to the Rogers Customer Contact Centre. Perhaps the evil plan is to:

-1) Proceed with the Downing Street redevelopment plan
-2) Relocate the current Farmers Market to the old fire station site on Assomption Blvd.
-3) Sell the old Farmers Market to the developer who is buying Tuttle Brothers.
-4) This developer would then build a parking garage on the combined Tuttles/Farmers Market site.
-5) This parking garage would service the Rogers Contact Centre, and would provide alternate parking for the Assomption Place parking lot.
-6) This would in turn free up land on those old parking lots for redevelopment, both along the refurbished Downing Street, as well as on the current Rogers parking lot next to Assomption Blvd.

Yeah - that's the ticket all right……..

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 2:11 PM

Here is a quote from a story in the paper today, I guess we have a date set on when the final renders will be ready and when they plan on putting up a billboard letting people know of the work to come! I have a feeling this is going to be a good year in Moncton.

http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=12468

Quote:
Mark on your calendar now that the city plans to unveil the rendering of the plan on its anniversary, April 23, with a large sign on the corner of Main and Downing streets. This will officially start the countdown to the 125th anniversary.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 3:49 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I gather that the Freshii restaurant at the corner of Botsford & Main has opened.

I await reviews……..

Old Posted Feb 28, 2014, 7:20 PM

Really dislike the roundabout on Assumption...unless...there is some kind of walking structure that goes over it (a la the structure that skirts Findlay in Riverview but without the chain link fence, yuck)

Again...low buildings in a downtown core...wow I wish we'd go "up" in this city.

Is that design showing some kind of boardwalk structure that extends 'out over' the river? (If so...awesome)

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 3:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I gather that the Freshii restaurant at the corner of Botsford & Main has opened.

I await reviews……..
The Two Fat Guys reviewed it in the T&T today. Mostly positive, but some items seemed too pricey, they say. I walked by during lunch hour today and the place was packed.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2014, 4:35 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL-Moncton View Post
Really dislike the roundabout on Assumption...unless...there is some kind of walking structure that goes over it (a la the structure that skirts Findlay in Riverview but without the chain link fence, yuck)
I'm not a big fan of the roundabout either, but I can understand what the landscape architect was trying to accomplish with it - a large roundabout would help to integrate traffic from the divergent roadways on Downing Street onto Assomption Blvd.

Please note that I don't have a particular physiologic aversion to roundabouts, I am just concerned that they can be relatively pedestrian unfriendly and this could serve as an impediment to the free passage of pedestrians from City Hall/Main Street/Downing Street to the Riverfront Promenade.

Quote:
Again...low buildings in a downtown core...wow I wish we'd go "up" in this city.
Sorry Jason, I have to disagree with you there. Midrise 4-5 storey buildings can be just fine, especially for a short street like Downing Street. Sometimes you can achieve better visual density with a row of mid rise buildings rather than one or two towers. This can help to contribute to a busy streetscape.

Quote:
Is that design showing some kind of boardwalk structure that extends 'out over' the river? (If so...awesome)
Yes indeedy, that is an observation pier projecting out into the muddy Petitcodiac. Of course this is currently just theoretical, but it could be a nice touch.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 4:36 PM

Quote:
I'm not a big fan of the roundabout either, but I can understand what the landscape architect was trying to accomplish with it - a large roundabout would help to integrate traffic from the divergent roadways on Downing Street onto Assomption Blvd.

Please note that I don't have a particular physiologic aversion to roundabouts, I am just concerned that they can be relatively pedestrian unfriendly and this could serve as an impediment to the free passage of pedestrians from City Hall/Main Street/Downing Street to the Riverfront Promenade.

Sorry Jason, I have to disagree with you there. Midrise 4-5 storey buildings can be just fine, especially for a short street like Downing Street. Sometimes you can achieve better visual density with a row of mid rise buildings rather than one or two towers. This can help to contribute to a busy streetscape.

Yes indeedy, that is an observation pier projecting out into the muddy Petitcodiac. Of course this is currently just theoretical, but it could be a nice touch.
Totally get what you are saying on the roundabouts...I don't mind them either, just really don't think that is the location for one.

4-5 Story buildings lining Downing isn't bad for infill and density...I'll just be so happy when the land starts to get used up in the core and they have no choice but to go "up"...I'm hoping that in my lifetime our rather minimalistic and mundane skyline vastly improves.

The observation pier would be very cool...especially when the surfers are flying by underneath and great for watching the resurgent bore.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 4:58 PM

I think that the corner by the subway on the highfield lands would be the perfect place for a triangle shaped, distinguishable, high rise building. Like maybe 15 stories. Moncton needs something tall on the west side of Assumption place to balance the skyline.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2014, 9:40 PM

Quote:

Wonderful!! - I think though that when Mayor LeBlanc says that "we can have things done by 2015", he is just referring to the refurbishment of the street itself. The buildings will be added later; perhaps much later……

Also, we have to remember that this is only an artistic impression of what might be. We are still early in the consultative phase of this project. I would doubt that we will end up with a streetscape quite this grand anytime soon, but it is nice to dream.

Notes:

- I don't really like the idea of a roundabout on Assumption at the foot of Downing. Roundabouts in many ways are pedestrian unfriendly. This might actually impede pedestrian access to the riverfront.

- There has been chatter about including a new permanent farmers market as part of this proposal. I don't necessarily see anything here that looks like a market - unless the market were built on Assumption Boulevard itself where the old fire station was.

- A trolley?!? I wonder where this trolley is supposed to go to, unless it heads west towards the new events centre. Come to think of it, this actually might not be a bad idea. There probably is some way to put a trolley line in through here, heading back towards the VIA rail station.

There used to me a rail spur along here in the distant past servicing the riverfront back when it was lined by warehouses and working wharves. Perhaps this old railway spur could be reactivated for a downtown trolley line. This could help make the events centre more accessible to parking options throughout the downtown core, and could help to integrate the development nodes in both the east and west ends of the downtown core.

If they are planning such a grandiose redesign of Downing street, I would prefer that they realign the street with Botsford. This would give the downtown a major north-south street connecting Wheeler and Lewisville directly to Assomption blvd. Seems like that would better warrant a grand roundabout and an approach with a median park and monuments as are depicted in the render. Part of city hall plaza will need to be sacrificed, but they will gain some space at the north-west corner for a small public space.

As a tourist driving down Assumption and reaching that roundabout, you'd get the impression that your crossing a major north-south arterial for the downtown, not a small side-street like Downing which dead-ends at Main. Especially considering Assumption just turns north slightly further east and connects to Main anyways.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2014, 12:58 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I see that 1234 Main is now essentially complete and that some tenants have moved in. When I have time in the next couple of weeks, I will try and grab a couple of pictures.

Also, they have completely unwrapped the refurbished and expanded Moncton Museum. The cowcatcher window feature at the front of the building is now completely visible. Again, I will try to grab a couple of photos when I can (unless somebody else wants to do the honours……..

Last edited by MonctonRad; Mar 5, 2014 at 9:21 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 5:25 PM

Brooklyn Deli post this on their Facebook page. Can't wait!

Quote:
Just as an FYI peeps ... The countdown is on for the new Grand Opening of downtown Moncton's hip new Italian Bar and Grill ... GUSTO! It will be in the same building as us here at the Deli, right above us. Casual dining and priced just right, all in an upscale, chic, comfortable atmosphere (photos coming soon). Specializing in 800° wood-fired oven flatbread pizzas, yummy sharables, farm-fresh salads, delectable pastas, grilled chicken and delicious char-broiled steaks. Extensive wine & cocktail menus, rockin' Friday Happy Hours, late evening live entertainment and special family days where we will focus on the kiddies. If you're looking for a change and you have a dynamic personality, we want you!! Inbox me with your interest. We are hiring for all positions now! (bilingual preferred but not necessary)

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 5:38 PM
New Brunswick Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

Times & Transcript
This is a great looking proposal! Downtown Moncton has a ton of potential and a lot of interesting planning initiatives are bubbling to the surface. Follow through with them!

Old Posted Mar 5, 2014, 6:06 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budyser View Post
Brooklyn Deli post this on their Facebook page. Can't wait!
So, they're going to call the new restaurant Gusto! now. I like this name better than Angelina's (which was their first name for the upstairs eatery).

Between Gusto!, the new Zio's and Piatto's, we'll soon be well served by upscale Italian eateries in the downtown.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 12:56 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I see that 1234 Main is now essentially complete and that some tenants have moved in. When I have time in the next couple of weeks, I will try and grab a couple of pictures.
As promised, here are a few pictures of the completely refurbished and recently reopened 1234 Main Street. http://1234main.ca/index.php

I wonder when they might start work on 1222 Main Street next door? There are probably no imminent plans, but if the events centre gets announced, you never know……...

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fischbob View Post
This is a great looking proposal! Downtown Moncton has a ton of potential and a lot of interesting planning initiatives are bubbling to the surface. Follow through with them!
the design looks great...the roundabout has to go...

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Not to be picky, but in the original renderings, I was sure the top level and back, centre panels were also supposed to be white, instead of staying black/dark grey. Still, huge improvement.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces