HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 2:40 PM

I am trying to find a way to facilitate putting 20,000 or 25,000 residents on the former Rockcliffe Air base property. I don't see a bus route allowing that. I also don't see a bus route oriented towards the Confederation Line delivering good service. What you gain with the speed of the Confederation Line, you lose in making passengers travel in the opposite direction from their desired travel line in order to reach it.

Yes, it would be ideal to have something travelling along Montreal Road but it is so narrow through Vanier and there are so many traffic signals that I don't know whether you can choose anything other than a subway through Vanier. That isn't going to happen because of the cost.

My idea allows us to consider a much cheaper surface solution and the use of streetcars will allow us to cut through places where a street may not presently exist.

It isn't necessary to build tramways that require 3 or 4 car trains to be successful. Urban tramways are typically one car long, usually articulated. 10 minute frequency provides the level of service that people don't need a schedule.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 7:18 PM

I honestly feel like we should put Rockcliffe on hold for the next few decades. There's no shortage of redevelopment lands in the city... we're having trouble just completing the current condo proposals as it is, and there's a huge amount of land around the Confederation Line especially between Blair & Hurdman that's ripe for redevelopment. The entire Gloucester Centre area with its failing retail is probably going to be the next big thing once there's more room in the market for additional condo supply.

Given that, I'd rather just keep Rockcliffe aside for the next few decades, and redevelop it once the idea of building rapid transit out there is more than an SSP pipe dream.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I honestly feel like we should put Rockcliffe on hold for the next few decades. There's no shortage of redevelopment lands in the city... we're having trouble just completing the current condo proposals as it is, and there's a huge amount of land around the Confederation Line especially between Blair & Hurdman that's ripe for redevelopment. The entire Gloucester Centre area with its failing retail is probably going to be the next big thing once there's more room in the market for additional condo supply.

Given that, I'd rather just keep Rockcliffe aside for the next few decades, and redevelop it once the idea of building rapid transit out there is more than an SSP pipe dream.
But where will we build all the detached homes????

Really though, that would probably be the best idea. Aside from looking into ways to convince more people to live here.

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 9:53 PM

I think something like this could be done (in means of a streetcar):

Green line=Streetcar

Streetcar investment is also proposed within the Greenbelt, with lines to be developed for the Carling and Rideau/Montreal corridors. The streetcar system would be used to accelerate urban regeneration in the corridor where a higher density mixed-use development form should be encouraged. The Portland Streetcar and its catalytic effect in the Pearl District is a good example of the type of impact envisaged for Ottawa. The streetcar system would run on a mix of alignments including segregated running in the central median or mixed street traffic.. The vehicles could either be single-car low floor light rail vehicles (approx. 30 metre long) or smaller streetcars (approx. 20 metre long) as used in Portland, Tacoma etc. The choice will be a function of ridership demand, capital and operating cost and a full cost/benefit analysis/wider appraisal, with the full LRVs requiring greater capital costs for trackbed etc. Streetcars also enjoy a host of delay reduction strategies (to maximize return on the investment) including on-street lanes, signal priority, special level boarding platform stations, off-vehicle fare payment (TVM/proof of payment), and advanced transit operations and passenger information technology.

Image/text came from here:
http://ottawa.ca/calendar/ottawa/cit...E-PLA-0016.htm

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
I am trying to find a way to facilitate putting 20,000 or 25,000 residents on the former Rockcliffe Air base property. I don't see a bus route allowing that. I also don't see a bus route oriented towards the Confederation Line delivering good service. What you gain with the speed of the Confederation Line, you lose in making passengers travel in the opposite direction from their desired travel line in order to reach it.

Yes, it would be ideal to have something travelling along Montreal Road but it is so narrow through Vanier and there are so many traffic signals that I don't know whether you can choose anything other than a subway through Vanier. That isn't going to happen because of the cost.
It's also not going to happen because rapid transit, in Ottawa, is only for suburbanites.

The only neighbourhoods in the older urban core which are now slated to gets LRT stations, are those which are incidental to getting LRT service from the CBD to the outer suburbs.

"Urban" transit in urban Ottawa means buses, and will continue to mean buses for the next 150 years. Even modest improvements to bus service in the core are decades away; basic things like signal priority. And god forbid you suggest that more runs of more downtown routes use artics... that standard of service is reserved for suburbanites, too. The rest of us peasants can stand.

There is no urban transit vision in Ottawa, only a suburban one.

If we're going to build a streetcar east of downtown, it should be on the Rideau-Montreal axis.

Old Posted May 17, 2015, 5:34 PM

Speaking as a suburban resident, I would not object to an LRT line of some kind - even a streetcar line - allowing regular, scheduled access to the Aviation/Space Museum. It's one of my two personal favourites of the federal museums and when OC Transpo rolled back the service to that museum, it annoyed me.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation