HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 5:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOWINYOW View Post
All the recommendations sound wonderful. None of them will cause anyone that isn't already using the Parkway pathways to visit the area.

A restaurant at the end of Parkdale sounds great. However, that really isn't "prime" real estate along the river. Whatever happened to the restaurant off the Champlain Bridge? Now that's prime real estate for a restaurant. And what do we have there now? Nothing. Nadda. Zilch. A parking lot, that's it, that's all.

I'm all for a vibrant waterfront. But pathways and bike paths won't bring people to any area. People want to be where people are. They want to shop. They want to be entertained. Ottawa is full of parks. All of them are virtually empty all of the time. Brewer Park is busy on weekends with the market. Take any other day of the week and with the exception of the playing fields, nobody is there.

I love the Parkway area. I'd love to see it become vibrant. I've been to cities that develop their waterways with restaurants, hotels, etc. That could happen over time along the riverfront. But settling for bike paths? That's not going to entice one person from downtown, Kanata, Orleans, Barrhaven etc.
I love the idea of eliminating the cloverleaf interchange, but have similar doubts as you regarding the restaurant. If they could somehow tie it into the development of Tunney's. They could even put it on the top of a smaller building to give panoramic views of the Hills and city.

I think if Tunney's, Bayview and Lebreton have high-density, mixed-use development could bring more people to the waterfront.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2014, 5:50 AM

Mmmmm, 'meditative spaces'!

Basically, stopping places to think can be accomplished anywhere. I guess this means park benches, because I can meditate in the woods or a farmer's field already.

I concur with NOWINYOW that more bike trails (do we not already have them the entire length of the parkway??) will do little to encourage people to visit the 'linear park', aka shoreline.

I'm all for better access from existing neighbourhoods to the water (ie - more underpasses, tunnels to access the shore), but there's a limit on what can be done, and there's a definite limit on what the NCC would be willing to do.

One thing I would like to point out -something that can be accomplished easily, with no new infrastructure - is to have the NCC monitor weather and real-time snow conditions and open the drive-in parking areas off the parkway accordingly.

Two springs ago (2012), it was blazingly hot with not a trace of snow for TWO MONTHS before the scheduled opening of the lots at Remic Rapids, Westboro Beach, etc.

Surely someone at the NCC can monitor the weather and take a drive up the parkway once a week. Otherwise you're closing it off and preventing access (to vehicles, I know) pointlessly. That's just plain lazy.

Old Posted May 5, 2015, 6:11 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC to hold workshop on Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway waterfront park

Maha Ansari, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: May 4, 2015, Last Updated: May 4, 2015 5:57 PM EDT

The National Capital Commission is inviting the public to a workshop Tuesday night on its plans for a waterfront linear park along the Sir John. A Macdonald Parkway.

The workshop will be the NCC’s second public consultation on the linear park, which is intended to enhance the green area along the Ottawa River. The NCC will present the draft concepts for the park and its individual parts.

The session will feature presentations on five segments of proposed park: Bayview/Parkdale; Remic/Champlain; Kitchissippi; Deschênes; and Mud Lake/Lincoln Fields.

Participants will be able to complete questionnaires at each of the five presentation stations and the NCC will ask for feedback on projects they should undertake in the next five years.

According to the NCC, the proposed park takes advantage of the “spectacular corridor landscape and views, river heritage, ecology and experiences that reconnect people with the river.” The proposed park includes different areas with designated purposes, such as protected areas and active spaces.

The workshop takes place from 7 to 9 p.m. on Tuesday, at the NCC headquarters on the 5th floor of 40 Elgin St.

Questions about the workshop can be directed to 613-239-5000, 1-800-465-1867 (toll-free) or info@ncc-cnn.ca.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/0504-park

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 7:27 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Path rage – NCC should create bike-only lanes in new river park

Kelly Egan, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: May 6, 2015, Last Updated: May 6, 2015 3:13 PM EDT

The National Capital Commission is looking for ideas to create a linear park along the Ottawa River.

Here’s one: kick the bikes off the bike path. Yes, absolutely mean that.

More helpfully, why not create a separate bicycle-only path system along the shoreline that lets pedestrians wander around in peace, safe from the spandex knights on their daily crusades?

If you live anywhere near the river, you will know about “path rage.”

The NCC’s system of shared “recreational paths” is so popular — and this is a good problem to have — that it attracts all these rival, jousting tribes: serious and loafy cyclists, joggers, regular walkers, seniors, seniors with walkers, mothers with strollers, mothers with strollers being pulled by dogs, families on picnics, whatever you call those rollerblading, ski-pole people, guy with a kayak over his head, guy holding his girlfriend’s hand, and whoever else disembarks from this everyday Noah’s Ark.

On a nice day, a pedestrian will hear this constant “ding-a-ling” from passing cyclists, or “passing on the left” at the last second, to serve as constant reminders that danger is only a few inches away and that the good citizen walks single file, never swaying an inch past the yellow line, as though off to war.

This does not make for a “park”, people. At the moment, the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway — at least great parts of it — is a transportation corridor, not a park. A park is a place where you never ask: “Will my 10-year-old be run over today?”

And, do not be fooled, conflict is not uncommon, nor are outright accidents.

All of which to say: why don’t we just make it a better, safer transportation corridor, with a few staging areas, and forget about “oasis-this” and “sanctuary-that”, as though we have a shortage of parks in this city or a lack of places for geese to fart around?

This is a green ribbon with four or more lanes of traffic through it, loads of buses, soon a buried train, and a massive bridge or two. It is not Algonquin Park. Often, actually, it is quite noisy, easily heard through a bedroom window 400 metres away.

We are, then, trying to solve an urban problem only humans are bizarre enough to create in the first place: we HAD a long natural green area by a beautiful river, then we put roads and traffic and trains on the green space, and today ask ourselves: how can we make this a park and create access to the river? Weird.

So, to begin with, a separate path for bicycles and roller blades and anything else on wheels. Furthermore, it is apparent we have a dedicated demographic that will cycle in the winter. Plus, we have normal people who like to walk from December to March. Would it not make sense to plow just one path, like a sidewalk, all winter, to permit and encourage winter use?

Would it really be that expensive?

And, if it is to be a year-round commuter route, why not build in some so-called comfort stations, with drinking water, washrooms and, God forbid, even food outlets?

At the initial blue-sky meeting a year ago, someone suggested using the empty Tunney’s Pasture lots for weekend parking for river visitors or cyclists bringing their bikes by car. Great idea. And the parking should be free.

The NCC released an updated concept plan Tuesday. Some great ideas in it. Especially appealing was the above-river boardwalk on the western end, from Cleary Avenue to the Britannia water filtration plant, including viewing towers.

If anything, the concept plan was stuffed: music venues, recreation hubs, history loops, education stations, new nature trails. All to the good, but probably over-ambitious.

It does make sense to concentrate effort on those sections of the 9.5-kilometre run that have room to breathe: at the Britannia end, with access to under-appreciated Mud Lake, at the Lincoln Fields corner, where it serves as a backyard to the highrise community, at the Champlain Bridge, where there is access to the islands, and at Parkdale, with its wider spaces and small-island system.

So, it is all a big sky with nice pies at this point. However, Step One is safe movement: give the cyclists a dedicated path, away from the pokey masses, or else no one goes to the moveable feast.

To contact Kelly Egan, please call 613-726-5896 or email kegan@ottawacitizen.com
Twitter.com/kellyegancolumn

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...new-river-park

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:02 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Workshop on the Plan for the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway Waterfront Linear Park

Reimagining the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway corridor as a signature riverfront linear park is one of the NCC’s priorities. The overall concept for the linear park is consistent with the NCC’s vision of putting the “park” back into the “parkway.”

The proposed concept takes advantage of the corridor landscape, views, river heritage, ecology and experiences that reconnect people with the river. It consists of diverse, accessible, attractive and complementary sectors that include protected areas, active spaces, and improved multi-modal connectivity and mobility.

The purpose of this second public workshop is to present the overall draft concept plan for the Sir John A. Macdonald linear park, as well as draft concepts for the individual park sectors. The public is invited to review the proposed concepts, and provide their ideas and comments. We will also be seeking feedback on the priorities for the next five years.

Draft General Concept (16.41 MB)
Draft Detailed Concept (21.37 MB)
Sector Plan Mud Lake-Deschênes (19.15 MB)
Sector Plan Kitchissippi-Westboro (19.51 MB)
Sector Plan Champlain-Remic (19.51 MB)
Sector Plan Bayview-Parkdale (19.32 MB)

Survey

http://www.ncc-ccn.gc.ca/about-ncc/u...erfront-linear

Old Posted May 6, 2015, 8:34 PM

Our plans for the Parkways should facilitate the use of Segways. Not that they will ever likely be a major method of transportation. It is just that they are fun and we should provide a suitable pathway in scenic areas of the city so that entrepreneurs will be able to offer them to tourists.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 12:22 AM

Good timing with that article. I've been biking to work on the NCC canal pathways starting a few days ago, and I've definitely noticed that in the afternoon biking home is a pain because of the huge number of dog walkers and joggers on the route. (Not so much in the morning, they're a lot emptier--not many people walking/jogging/hiking recreationally at eight in the morning). It's a little nerveracking.

We really should separate the two traffic flows. Widen the pathways so that a separate cyclist-only pathway lane can be added.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 3:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
Good timing with that article. I've been biking to work on the NCC canal pathways starting a few days ago, and I've definitely noticed that in the afternoon biking home is a pain because of the huge number of dog walkers and joggers on the route. (Not so much in the morning, they're a lot emptier--not many people walking/jogging/hiking recreationally at eight in the morning). It's a little nerveracking.

We really should separate the two traffic flows. Widen the pathways so that a separate cyclist-only pathway lane can be added.
+1 Today, it was great that so many people were out using the Ottawa River path, but cycling was difficult because of the CROWDS of people walking all together on the path. I usually find, even if it's more dangerous, it's a lot easier to ride on the roads. Wider paths and even a separate one for bikes would be a good idea. Maybe even reduce the parkway itself?

By the way, congrats on starting to cycling! I started last summer and now I just need to ride a bike everyday or I won't be in a good mood. It's great!

Last edited by Urbanarchit; May 7, 2015 at 3:18 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 4:04 AM

I'll clock in ~60k a week, yes, I would love to see some separation of the 'cyclists' and 'general park enjoyers'. Also education that when I use my bell you *don't* need to *panic*. It just means I'm passing you; don't cross the yellow line. I see countless people jump off the path and I feel bad.

The bike path network is a major reason why I love Ottawa.

But the way that article was written made me wince.

The pathways could be over time modified by narrowing the centre for cyclists (i.e cutting into the current width by a foot or so) and adding wide shoulders using stone pavers for pedestrians. Add a yellow line between the pedestrian shoulder and turn current yellow line for into a dashed white line. If you were to separate the uses you don't need the cycling section to be as wide as it is now as you only need to pass occasionally can just use the on coming lane. It's the walking section that should be designed for 2 abreast walkers i.e standard sidewalk width. To me it makes sense to keep the fast moving traffic on the left most "lane" and not on the peripherals.

This would still require moving significant sections of roadway and is my attempt at finding a solution that could be rolled out in phases and doesn't require starting from scratch.

EDIT: actually it makes much more sense to have them side by side. But the right of way needs to be constrained as for I am the Lorax of parkway trees.

Last edited by Mikeed; May 7, 2015 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 1:29 PM

Gotta say, you guys are sounding alot like the spandex knights mentioned. I think the best way is to put the cyclists on the road and leave the narrow path for pedestrians. Eventually, once phase 2 is built, make either the west bound or east bound lanes for cyclists only and the opposite direction turns into a two direction two lane road. This prevents even more of the park from being carved up and provides even more space for cyclists.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 1:30 PM

In Berlin, there are segregated pathways for cyclists including on sidewalks. For those who are not used to this, watch out!

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 5:07 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
In Berlin, there are segregated pathways for cyclists including on sidewalks. For those who are not used to this, watch out!
Do you mean like what just got built on Churchill Ave, or something different?

https://www.google.ca/maps/@45.38142...CUzQ!2e0?hl=en

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 5:16 PM

http://davidbyrne.typepad.com/photos..._bike_path.jpg

This is what they look like in Berlin, usually this pinkish colour. When they are next to the sidewalk (usually the same level), and you are not used to it, it is easy to wander over into the bicycle lane until the cyclist uses his or her bell.

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
You mean like the raised cycleways we've been installing here in Ottawa lately (Churchill, Laurier in front of City Hall) which have an asphalt sidewalk for cyclists immediately adjacent to the existing sidewalk?

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreTrains View Post
Gotta say, you guys are sounding alot like the spandex knights mentioned. I think the best way is to put the cyclists on the road and leave the narrow path for pedestrians. Eventually, once phase 2 is built, make either the west bound or east bound lanes for cyclists only and the opposite direction turns into a two direction two lane road. This prevents even more of the park from being carved up and provides even more space for cyclists.
What about the canal pathways? Turn them into one-ways for cars (say QE downtown-inbound and CB downtown-outbound) on just one lane each, with the other lane becoming a cycletrack on each side?

Old Posted May 7, 2015, 8:13 PM

I find it odd that we prohibit cyclists from sidewalks, because sidewalks are for pedestrians and its unsafe as cyclists could run them over.... but at the same time we have all these multi-use paths....

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 5:25 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Boardwalks, restaurants part of NCC's waterfront vision

By Emma Jackson
Ottawa West News, May 09, 2015

Picture a waterfront that combines the Ottawa River’s natural beauty with all the amenities a visitor could want: pathways, restaurants, lookouts and bathrooms.

That’s what the National Capital Commission has in mind for a nine-kilometre stretch of green space between Britannia and LeBreton Flats; a concept presented as part of its Urbanism Lab series on May 5.

The pie-in-the-sky meeting attracted about 80 people to NCC headquarters to discuss the pros and cons of the draft plan.

It’s a busy map, dotted with a long wish list of amenities and features, ranging from a bandstand on Bate Island (in the middle of the Ottawa River along the Champlain Bridge), to a pedestrian and cycling connection to Quebec along the city-owned Prince of Wales rail bridge east of Parkdale Avenue.

A boardwalk jutting into the river just east of Britannia’s Mud Lake is on the books, as are a number of historical and educational features along several new trails, boat launches and lookouts, and festival space near Tunney’s Pasture.

The NCC said it wants to attract commercial uses like restaurants and food trucks, and maybe even develop a Sunday market area to entice tourists and residents using the park.

SUGGESTIONS

It’s got grand plans, but it’s open to other ideas, too: NCC planners were busy jotting down suggestions at each of the breakout stations throughout the night. One resident suggested installing a boat locker near the Deschenes Rapids so apartment-dwellers can lock up their canoes and kayaks on site.

Another wanted to make sure any new facilities blend well with the natural surroundings, so they don’t create a visual blight.

Others went so far as to suggest the NCC should sell off some of its precious green space to developers, to create a better mixed-use feel at the waterfront, similar to what other successful waterfront city parks have achieved.

And some residents spoke up in defence of their neighbourhoods adjacent to the park.

Woodroffe North resident Bev Binette said the side streets in her mature neighbourhood are too small to accommodate more visitor parking, particularly if the NCC goes ahead with plans to formalize more pedestrian access points across the busy parkway.

“Obviously the city has expanded but the streets have not,” she said. “There has to be some consideration for the residents who live in the area.”

She said the NCC and the city must work together to make sure public transit is encouraged; right now buses use the parkway but don’t actually stop to let people off.

The workshop was the second the NCC has held to poll users about the linear park’s potential; the commission held a similar meeting for stakeholders and community associations last year, as well.

Not much has changed in terms of what the NCC wants to see in the park, but it has gained some more green space to work with now that the city’s west-end light-rail route is going to shift parts of the Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway slightly south.

That decision was part of a 100-day working group tasked with finding a rail route the NCC and the city could live with, and ended up increasing the park’s area by about 38 per cent, according to NCC spokesperson Mario Tremblay.

The timing of the park’s redevelopment is unclear; Tremblay said it will be completed in phases over a number of years. Workshop participants were asked to identify their priorities in a questionnaire before they left, and they used yellow stickers to show on the map what features they liked best.

To take a closer look at the plans and to complete the questionnaire yourself, visit ncc.ccn.gc.ca.

http://www.ottawacommunitynews.com/n...rfront-vision/

Old Posted May 11, 2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
I find it odd that we prohibit cyclists from sidewalks, because sidewalks are for pedestrians and its unsafe as cyclists could run them over.... but at the same time we have all these multi-use paths....
A good example of that is available on Scott. The SJAM has 1-2 paths depending on where you are and the Scott street MUP is less than 500m south, and Scott has bike lanes.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 12:46 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC could slice two lanes from Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway for linear park

Don Butler, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: March 23, 2016 | Last Updated: March 23, 2016 8:18 PM EDT

The National Capital Commission has developed an option for the proposed Sir John A. Macdonald Riverfront Linear Park that would reduce the heavily used parkway to just two lanes for part of its length.

The proposal was presented publicly for the first time Wednesday night at a workshop on the proposed linear park, which would extend from the Canadian War Museum to Britannia Park.

The NCC document shows two scenarios for the parkway: one as a full four-lane divided parkway, like the one that exists today, and one that would reduce it to a two-lane curvilinear parkway from Carling Avenue to Island Park Drive.

The parkway is a key commuter route, used by 9,300 vehicles every weekday, so eliminating two of its lanes would have a significant impact on many users.

By limiting the reduction to the part of the parkway west of Island Park Drive, however, any impact on commuters entering the parkway there and on West Quebec residents who enter from the Champlain Bridge would presumably would be minimized.

According to the material presented by the NCC, the two-lane option, which would be similar to other scenic parkways in the capital, has several advantages over the current four-lane configuration.

It would prevent the speeding that is now endemic on the parkway, where traffic regularly zips along at 80 kilometres an hour despite a posted limit of 60 kilometres an hour.

It would also provide more opportunities to fully segregate cyclists and pedestrians on separate paths and provide space on the parkway for commuter cycling.

Finally, the two-lane option would more riverside open space. For example, NCC officials said the two-land option would increase available open space by 38 per cent along a 1.2-kilometre section of the parkway that will run over the city’s future light rail transit line.

By comparison, the four-lane option would encourage higher speeds and provide fewer opportunities to fully segregate pedestrian and cycling uses, the NCC says.

So far, the NCC has adopted neither of the parkway options, and any change would only occur in the medium to long term, after many other park elements have been developed.

The linear park idea — a key part of the NCC’s efforts to reconnect residents with the national capital’s waterways — has been under discussion since 2014.

The NCC has already held workshops on the linear park in 2014 and 2015, and heard from many participants that it should narrow or relocate the parkway.

In an interview with the Citizen in November, 2014, NCC chief executive Mark Kristmanson assured commuters that the agency wasn’t planning to tear up the current four-lane road any time soon.

“I’d hate to make commuters worry that we’re somehow going to make their lives more difficult in the short term by changing anything,” Kristmanson said at the time, though he added: “Maybe some day car use will change. Maybe traffic patterns can be looked at.”

Closing the parkway’s westbound lands to vehicular traffic was the most notable feature of a January 2015 linear park plan developed and presented to the NCC by graduate students from Queen’s University’s School of Urban and Regional Planning.

In their plan, two-way traffic would travel on the two existing eastbound lanes, while the westbound lanes would become a four-season route for commuter cyclists, relieving pressure on the waterfront pathway and making it safer and more welcoming for pedestrians.

On Wednesday, the NCC posted a questionnaire to its website, seeking public feedback about the linear park concept, including whether they prefer the two-lane or four-lane scenario.

Participants have until midnight on April 13 to complete and submit the questionnaire.

dbutler@postmedia.com
twitter.com/ButlerDon

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...or-linear-park

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 12:48 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Sir John A. Macdonald Riverfront Linear Park Plan
Reimagining the Parkway

The NCC invites you to provide feedback on the proposed overall concept for the Sir John A. Macdonald Riverfront Linear Park and the more detailed demonstration plans. Please take a few minutes to complete this questionnaire.

Presentation

http://fluidsurveys.com/surveys/ncc-...ark-plan/?l=en

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues