HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 22, 2015, 10:37 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Favorite Austin Eats

What are some of your favorite places to eat in Austin?

I think it'd be cool to have a dedicated thread for Austin's amazing food culture. Visitors may end up on this board and like to get some ideas. I know when I'm visiting someplace new, I find out what the locals' favorite spots are.

Y'all can take this thread wherever you want to. My thought was to say what type of food (pizza, tex-mex, bbq, sushi, etc), then your favorite places and why.

For example:

Pizza

Home Slice - I love the crispy, foldable NY-style crust. Toppings are really good and the setting is awesome on South Congress.

My go-to: The white pizza (olive oil, garlic, romano, ricotta, provolone, mozzarella) + pepperoni

Via 313 - Detroit-style with 4 crusty, cheesy corner pieces. I'll be on a Detroiter like a hobo on a ham sandwich.

Conan's - Austin-style deep dish. Old school Austin joint. I have a lot of fond memories of spending Friday nights there with friends in middle school. Pizza is still really good. Get the whole wheat crust. Trust me.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 12:11 AM

Daruma Ramen on 6th. Best ramen place in Austin. Hands down.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 12:17 AM
Meh

We just got back from El Gallo. They've had consistently good Tex-Mex for 60+ years. My family's been going there since the 70s. I ate two bowls of salsa by myself.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 1:05 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I've still never been to El Gallo. Need to hurry up and try it. Is their salsa hot?

I like Matt's El Rancho, Maudie's, and Enchiladas y Mas. The one I visit the most is actually El Paso/New Mexico style Mexican food: Texican Cafe on Manchaca Road.

Last edited by lzppjb; Oct 23, 2015 at 2:50 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 1:06 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Tarbouch is a good Lebanese spot. Love shawarma!

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 1:19 AM

Nice Forum Idea

Raising Canes Chicken Fingers: 415 W MLK

Get yourself a Box combo for starters. You'll get four, decently sized crispy chicken strips. Canes touts itself as more wholesome than some of the more well-known national brands, and these never-frozen fingers taste fresh. The "Box" comes with salted fries, freshly mixed coleslaw and a slice of buttered Texas toast. The box comes with one Canes sauce, but for $0.69 add another one. You won't regret it, because this secret-sauce recipe was born to be married with a Canes chicken strip. The sauce alone will have you back. For your drink, choose the freshly-brewed sweet tea. Take out, go through the drive through, or eat among the college kids. You're never too old for a classic order of chicken fingers.

Warning: This place is addictive. I often order a Caniac Combo, which is up to six strips. This is better eaten in two portions. Save some for last night. Canes fingers are really good dunked in sauce as cold leftovers, so I'd recommend not reheating in the microwave.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 2:45 AM
Honored Member

Great topic!

Admittedly I don't eat out much, only a few times a year, so I'm not up on all the fancy new places. But for old school cuisine, I love Magnolia Cafe. I've never been disappointed by a meal there.

Brunch at Eastside Cafe is great.

I was partial to Chisholm Trail for barbecue when I lived in Lockhart, but haven't eaten BBQ in several years so I don't know what's best anymore.

Dang, I feel really old and out of the loop. I can't think of anything remotely new.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 2:53 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
Great topic!

Admittedly I don't eat out much, only a few times a year, so I'm not up on all the fancy new places. But for old school cuisine, I love Magnolia Cafe. I've never been disappointed by a meal there.

Brunch at Eastside Cafe is great.

I was partial to Chisholm Trail for barbecue when I lived in Lockhart, but haven't eaten BBQ in several years so I don't know what's best anymore.

Dang, I feel really old and out of the loop. I can't think of anything remotely new.
I'm a lifelong fan of Kreuz BBQ in Lockhart. They've had their ups and downs recently. I think they changed pit masters or something. But they're getting good again.

In Austin, I like J Mueller Meat Co. on the east side and a little gem in SE Austin is Vic's BBQ.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 2:55 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinGoesVertical View Post

Get yourself a Box combo for starters. You'll get four, decently sized crispy chicken strips. Canes touts itself as more wholesome than some of the more well-known national brands, and these never-frozen fingers taste fresh. The "Box" comes with salted fries, freshly mixed coleslaw and a slice of buttered Texas toast. The box comes with one Canes sauce, but for $0.69 add another one. You won't regret it, because this secret-sauce recipe was born to be married with a Canes chicken strip. The sauce alone will have you back. For your drink, choose the freshly-brewed sweet tea. Take out, go through the drive through, or eat among the college kids. You're never too old for a classic order of chicken fingers.

Warning: This place is addictive. I often order a Caniac Combo, which is up to six strips. This is better eaten in two portions. Save some for last night. Canes fingers are really good dunked in sauce as cold leftovers, so I'd recommend not reheating in the microwave.
I've been there. None real close to me, so I've only been twice. It's a chain, but it's still very good. And still new to Austin.

There's another chicken tender chain coming to our area. It's called Zaxby's, and it's from Louisiana. Supposed to be really good.

Speaking of chicken, I wish we had a Babe's down here.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 2:18 PM

Quote:

"Chicken, chicken, chicken. What combo you pickin?!" But seriously, that sauce must be laced with cocaine...so addicting.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbssfelix View Post
"Chicken, chicken, chicken. What combo you pickin?!" But seriously, that sauce must be laced with cocaine...so addicting.
Now you can make it yourself:

http://www.chron.com/national/articl...et-6534917.php

Old Posted Oct 23, 2015, 10:29 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I've still never been to El Gallo. Need to hurry up and try it. Is their salsa hot?

I like Matt's El Rancho, Maudie's, and Enchiladas y Mas. The one I visit the most is actually El Paso/New Mexico style Mexican food: Texican Cafe on Manchaca Road.
My mom says their salsa is hot, but I question her Texas cred because of it. It really isn't hot. I wolfed down two bowls and only took a few sips of water.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:
I've been there. None real close to me, so I've only been twice. It's a chain, but it's still very good. And still new to Austin.

There's another chicken tender chain coming to our area. It's called Zaxby's, and it's from Louisiana. Supposed to be really good.

Speaking of chicken, I wish we had a Babe's down here.

There's already Zaxbys in Round Rock/Buda/Cedar Park now. I think they're planning to open up at least 2 locations in Austin.

I can attest to Zaxbys being delicious. Used to live in Atlanta and they were all over.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 4:16 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I didn't know they were finished building those locations.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 11:53 PM
Honored Member

I have to confess that more than half of my "dining-out" experience in the past 6 years has consisted of going to the Whole Foods food bars. (Is that what they're called?) Like when my sister visited a few years ago, we ate at least a half-dozen times at WF because we are both healthy picky eaters and we knew we could each find whatever we wanted there. One night we had dinner at one of their cooking stations. We bought fresh fish and then had it cooked to order, and it was fabulous. I mean, the atmosphere isn't exactly romantic, but I'm honestly not into my sister in that way. We had a top notch meal for under $15 each, and it would have cost at least twice as much at a restaurant.

Do any of you frequent any of the food trucks? I've barely sampled anything from any of them, just a bit of Indian and Thai on South First.

The Gospel Brunch tradition used to be a thriving awesome scene at several locations but I haven't been to any of them in years. For anyone who wants to gawk at uninhibited old hippies while chowing down on breakfast tacos and beer, check out Hippie Church at Maria's Taco Express on South Lamar. The music is often fantastic, but sometimes it flops due to absence of musicians.

My first and best Gospel Brunch experience was at La Zona Rosa, featuring the amazing Asylum Street Spankers ft. Guy Forsyth. When I was trying to recall the name of that location I did a search for "former music venue on 4th street in Austin" and found the name via this link:
http://www.movoto.com/blog/opinions/...er-see-austin/
Admittedly, I shed some tears as I reviewed that list of what we've lost.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 12:47 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Food trucks are great here in Austin.

I've had Torchy's, Gourdough's, Mighty Cone, Texas Cuban, Via 313, the Lebanese trailer at Native South (Manchaca Road), Veracruz Tacos @ Radio, Mellizoz Tacos, Way South Philly...possibly others.

Everything I've had has been good. I really like the huge Cuban sandwich at Texas Cuban. The pizza at Via 313 I already mentioned in my first post. Torchy's, Gourdough's and Mighty Cone all speak for themselves.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Food trucks are great here in Austin.

I've had Torchy's, Gourdough's, Mighty Cone, Texas Cuban, Via 313, the Lebanese trailer at Native South (Manchaca Road), Veracruz Tacos @ Radio, Mellizoz Tacos, Way South Philly...possibly others.

Everything I've had has been good. I really like the huge Cuban sandwich at Texas Cuban. The pizza at Via 313 I already mentioned in my first post. Torchy's, Gourdough's and Mighty Cone all speak for themselves.
I can endorse Torcy's, Mighty Cone, and Via 313. For classic detroit style pizza, Via 313 is the way to go. Reminds me of a homemade pizza I often make with my dad and brother. The trickiest part is getting the dough right, but you can get better with practice. Via 313 nails the caramelized crust every time. Trailer Treasure is good for fish and chips.

The J.W. Mariott's Burger Bar operates like a food truck, paying homage to what the site used to be home to. Decent burger, great fries and a nice shake. Not bad for a take-out place at a big hotel.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:37 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Trailer Treasure is good for fish and chips.
Thanks for the heads up. I like fish n chips. Will try this out.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 12:39 AM

Hey if you guys wanna try some realllllyyy good authentic and inexpensive mexican food check out "La Cocina de Consuelo" on 45th and Burnet and "Mi Tradicion Panaderia" off of Ohlen and Research Blvd.

I'd also recommend "Al Pastor" taco truck on Riverside on the big Bingo parking. "El Taquito" and "Taco More" also on Riverside.

And there is also a slamming Honduran food truck one on E. Oltorf in front of a gas station (forget which one). The place is called Glorieta Delicias Hondurenas. There is also another Honduran food truck on Elmont and Pleasant Valley right next to the gas station in that corner. They have these burritos that are almost prepared like a gyro and they prepare the tortillas fresh on the spot. You gotta try it... even their fried chicken is amazing.

Oh and there is also another Honduran location on Rundberg inside another gas station, that I can't remember right now. lol But it's there... haha

Old Posted Oct 28, 2015, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1 View Post
There's already Zaxbys in Round Rock/Buda/Cedar Park now. I think they're planning to open up at least 2 locations in Austin.

I can attest to Zaxbys being delicious. Used to live in Atlanta and they were all over.
They just opened a Zaxbys minutes from my house, its pretty good for "fast food". Actually, its pretty good period. Also agree on Torchy's. I want to give mention to the Italian market / restaurant at the triangle, Lamar and Guadalupe. It used to be mostly market and small pizzaria, but now its reversed. I don't go there to eat, I go there to shop imported cheeses, meats, awesome pepperoni, pasta, roasted red pepper, both jarred and house made, and authentic bread loafs. And there are tons of take out dessert options. If anyone knows of a better Italian market, please let me know.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin