HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 3:12 PM

Had lunch in the café yesterday and also checked out Geraldine's. It's awesome.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 1:13 AM
Honored Member

Wow, this place is fantastic! I presume just about everyone has seen this slideshow courtesy of the ABJ: http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...=2015-12-02#g1

Very impressive, and every chair of every type looks so comfortable!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 1:36 AM

I stopped by here the other day. Magnificent interior, really unique to Austin with an emphasis on the music scene. This building proves how a large development can still enhance and not mask the city's identity.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2015, 2:06 AM

Photo by Arnold Mill from the bizjournal link in the above post of the boardroom.

I just looked at the slide show, the interior looks fantastic and no doubt will leave guests with an extraordinary first impression. However...I wouldn't recommend attending the boardroom with a hangover. I think the fun thing here would be for out of towners who look at the hotel from the outside and think...meh...then get blown away when they walk into the place, and even more blown away when they start exploring the inside. It looks world class.

Last edited by the Genral; Dec 3, 2015 at 2:19 AM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2015, 11:51 AM

From December 4, 2015

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 5:07 PM

Looks like they are repairing/replacing the entire north facing facade. The top few floors have bat insulation exposed. Surprised we haven’t heard anything in the news, clearly a big screw up.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
Looks like they are repairing/replacing the entire north facing facade. The top few floors have bat insulation exposed. Surprised we haven’t heard anything in the news, clearly a big screw up.
They are. Strange, since I hadn't heard of any problems with it before. But, as a Shore resident, I know they're using the same company that the Shore used, which is a big mistake. They were way behind schedule, and had no clue how to work in an occupied building.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 11:31 PM

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 11:37 PM

Did anyone ask what happened?

Old Posted Sep 13, 2020, 12:11 AM

Zooming in on it, it looks like water intrusion. Maybe from shoddy construction or materials, but my guess its from 5 years of north side exposure to wind and rain against shoddy materials and installation. If the other 3 sides are affected that would blow holes in my theory.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 10:14 AM

Host Hotels acquires luxury lifestyle hotel for $246M

Host Hotels & Resorts Acquires Hotel Van Zandt
BETHESDA, Md., Feb. 02, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc. (NASDAQ: HST), the nation's largest lodging real estate investment trust (the "Company"), today announced that it has acquired the fee simple interest in the Hotel Van Zandt, a 319-room luxury lifestyle hotel in Austin, Texas for a purchase price of approximately $246 million including its $4 million FF&E reserve.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...on-Boston.html

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoes View Post
Host Hotels & Resorts Acquires Hotel Van Zandt
BETHESDA, Md., Feb. 02, 2022 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Host Hotels & Resorts, Inc. (NASDAQ: HST), the nation's largest lodging real estate investment trust (the "Company"), today announced that it has acquired the fee simple interest in the Hotel Van Zandt, a 319-room luxury lifestyle hotel in Austin, Texas for a purchase price of approximately $246 million including its $4 million FF&E reserve.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...on-Boston.html
If I am not mistaken, Host Hotels and Resorts is a Marriott controlled REIT. I think they recently bought the Hyatt Regency here in Austin as well.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 9:23 PM
May the Schwartz be w/ U!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
If I am not mistaken, Host Hotels and Resorts is a Marriott controlled REIT. I think they recently bought the Hyatt Regency here in Austin as well.
https://www.hosthotels.com/our-portf...folio-overview

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 9:53 PM

One of the interesting things about that transaction was that, to finance the Van Zandt acquisition, Host sold off the Sheraton Boston. The difference between the two hotels couldn't be more pronounced. Sheraton Boston is 1220 rooms, built next to Hynes Convention Center, and has functioned up till recently as one of the city's major HQs for major conventions. It's a little older, and probably in need of some updates, and is further away from some of the newer Convention halls in the city. Sale price was $233M.

The Van Zandt -- 319 boutique rooms, participates very rarely in convention business -- was bought for $246M.

Post pandemic, it's one of the starker deals out there -- proving essentially that sunbelt boutique hotels drive a HUGE premium over snowbelt convention hotels. All the new received wisdom about how people will travel after COVID is wrapped up in a pretty little package with a bow on top.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2022, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
One of the interesting things about that transaction was that, to finance the Van Zandt acquisition, Host sold off the Sheraton Boston. The difference between the two hotels couldn't be more pronounced. Sheraton Boston is 1220 rooms, built next to Hynes Convention Center, and has functioned up till recently as one of the city's major HQs for major conventions. It's a little older, and probably in need of some updates, and is further away from some of the newer Convention halls in the city. Sale price was $233M.

The Van Zandt -- 319 boutique rooms, participates very rarely in convention business -- was bought for $246M.

Post pandemic, it's one of the starker deals out there -- proving essentially that sunbelt boutique hotels drive a HUGE premium over snowbelt convention hotels. All the new received wisdom about how people will travel after COVID is wrapped up in a pretty little package with a bow on top.
^^Just Wow! Very interesting news.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin