HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
Veloz and Yolanda also had a dance studio next to (or a part of) the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel. Their daughter, Yolanda Veloz, was a student at Hollywood High School.

There are two streets named after the dancers in the San Fernando Valley, Veloz Avenue and Yolanda Avenue. They intersect just south of Ventura Boulevard in Tarzana.
As a baseball fan, I recall that Veloz and Yolanda danced in a scene in the Lou Gehrig biopic "Pride of the Yankees" starring Gary Cooper as Lou and Babe Ruth as himself. Veloz & Yolanda were the headliners in a nightclub when Lou was dating his wife to be Eleanor. Lou was a Mama's boy and quite shy. According to one Ruth bio I read, Ruth and Eleanor may have had a fling before the marriage, or at least Lou suspected that, and this may have led to bad feelings all around. The Babe liked the ladies, as well as vast quantities of food & drink. Burned the candle at both ends, yet he outlived good boy Lou. But Lou got the better biopic by far. "Pride of the Yankees" is memorable. The Ruth biopic with William Bendix is horrid. But at least the Babe memorably appears in Lou's biopic, and steals the show. The Babe was unforgettable.

Last edited by CaliNative; Aug 21, 2020 at 11:41 AM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
The bus station clock in THE KILLING... possibly Kubrick didn't want the scene to get locked in to a specific time and had the glass smudged over?
That had crossed my mind, Blaster, but I doubt it. . simply because Kubrick was such a perfectionist.
I think he would have forseen the issue & set the clock to the appropriate time that would correspond to the script/storyline.

Let's take a closer look at the clock.

detail

hmm. . .If I squint really hard I might be seeing a faint, faint, faint shadow of the hands of the clock. *rubs eyes*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
I don't remember a doorway connecting the two businesses in 1972.
With children in the bus station, any connecting door with a bar is not a good idea imo.
That's true, CBD, but I believe someone mentioned that there was a connecting doorway.

And the reason for the door?

So that travelers imbibing at the Grapevine's bar felt like they still had one foot in the bus station.
Kind of like a bar at an airport. ....p e r h a p s

Here's a closer look at the door in question. . .and something I hadn't noticed before!

There is a man peeking from the doorway waiting for Kubrick to finish filming the scene.

.............................................................................................Do you see him?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 21, 2020 at 6:13 PM.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 6:02 PM

Vine Street looking north during WWII compared with a recreation for "Bugsy" (1991)

Last night I watched the Warren Beatty/Annette Bening movie “Bugsy” (1991) and was struck at how well they recreated 1940s Los Angeles. It’s no wonder it won the Oscar for Best Art Direction. But there was one shot of Vine Street at night that I thought was particularly striking. I was pretty sure I had a photo of the real thing so I freeze-framed my TV and took a photo of and went hunting in my archives. Sure enough, I did find a shot of Vine Street Hollywood looking north. It was taken during WWII so it’s darker than the recreation (LA had a lot of blackouts and dimouts during the war) but now that I can see them together, I think they did a marvelous job.

(The top photo is the one taken during WWII and the bottom photo is the shot I took of my TV screen last night.)

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
A mystery location.

Remember the 'Swim Easy' posts from a couple of weeks ago. . .

Here's another with a. . .umm. . .mystery ghost.

old file / bbarr

I wish I had more information for you. ....I think the best clue might be the peaked mountain on the right.
The pine-covered knob bursting out of the plain behind the car is striking. I'm thinking not southern California. That huge paved parking lot might be a racetrack or fairground. I did check Santa Anita, but the mountains don't match.

Last edited by Mackerm; Aug 22, 2020 at 4:23 AM. Reason: Added "behind the car"

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackerm View Post
The pine-covered knob bursting out of the plain is striking. I'm thinking not southern California. That huge paved parking lot might be a racetrack or fairground. I did check Santa Anita, but the mountains don't match.
Looks like Fairplex in Pomona.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
Looks like Fairplex in Pomona.
I don't recognize anything in Pomona like that hill behind the car (I edited the original to make it clearer.) I do think the Mystery ghost might be Paul.

Wikipedia

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 4:42 AM

Detail from a recent shot of Fairplex on the bottom.

daniellebennink.com

Lwize

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 5:11 AM

No Question There

Indeed! And great find of the photo, Noir_Noir to confirm it. I've seen shapes of hills and mountains used to identify locations many times here but have not seen such a slam dunk matchup as that. It's uncanny.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 7:56 AM

I agree!! In fact, I feel a bit guilty that Noir_Noir had to dig up the Fairplex photo and line it up.

I know there's some explanation for that pine-covered hill. Hollywood trickery, some abandoned exhibit in the parking lot, or maybe they were towing a diorama.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 11:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
'Wild Strawberries' clockface homage?

Here are a couple more screengrabs from Kubrick's The Killing. [1956]

In this scene we're inside the Hollywood Bus Station on Vine St.

youtube

I'm curious about the blank clock face.

Does it just look blank because of a reflection or is it something other than a clock. . .like a light fixture?

The scene begin at 44:40

As Sterling Hayden's character is walking out I believe we get a glimpse of the door that leads to the recently discussed Grapevine Room. (far right / just past the cigarette machine)

The faceless 'clock' also appears in a later scene at 47:17

YouTube
I don't remember a doorway connecting the two businesses in 1972.
With children in the bus station, any connecting door with a bar is not a good idea imo.

If there was a connecting doorway, its totally irrelevant to the movie and to this blog.
I was in both the bar and the station in 1972 and I don't recall any doorway but there may have been one. its way past being of any consequence.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 3:29 PM

Kubrick was known for irrelevant doorways.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 3:40 PM

Quote:

detail
FWIW, that must be a sign for Clarence Dixon Cadillac, at Sunset & Vine partly visible through the window. Long gone.

Flickr

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 5:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
Kubrick was known for irrelevant doorways.
Endless adornments

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
One other note on the carnage off the Santa Monica/Doheny corner, the noted martial arts master Emil Farkas has closed his dojo located immediately west of the Troubadour....he was there 50 years....Emil lives two doors from me and is a good friend...he did security for Spector in the early '60's, has great tales of Liberty Records, Snuff Garrett, Lou Adler....Elvis stopped in to the dojo one afternoon early '70s.      ______________________________________________________________
Thanks for your comments, riichkay, and I did not know about this closing!

Every night on the local news is something about someone else throwing in the towel with their long-time businesses, not to mention short time ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliNative View Post
As a baseball fan, I recall that Veloz and Yolanda danced in a scene in the Lou Gehrig biopic "Pride of the Yankees" starring Gary Cooper as Lou and Babe Ruth as himself. Veloz & Yolanda were the headliners in a nightclub when Lou was dating his wife to be Eleanor. Lou was a Mama's boy and quite shy. According to one Ruth bio I read, Ruth and Eleanor may have had a fling before the marriage, or at least Lou suspected that, and this may have led to bad feelings all around. The Babe liked the ladies, as well as vast quantities of food & drink. Burned the candle at both ends, yet he outlived good boy Lou. But Lou got the better biopic by far. "Pride of the Yankees" is memorable. The Ruth biopic with William Bendix is horrid. But at least the Babe memorably appears in Lou's biopic, and steals the show. The Babe was unforgettable.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 6:32 PM

Quote:
The pine-covered knob bursting out of the plain behind the car is striking. I'm thinking not southern California.

Are pine trees uncommon in SoCal? I recall seeing them from a restaurant window in Universal City. This famous Gilligan's Island publicity photo has pine trees in the background.

Of course, the two locations I mentioned are backlots of movie studios. But I believe I've seen them in Griffith Park, too. I'm not an expert on the local flora (nor fauna), but this LINK of Common Trees of Los Angeles has a few pines included, like this tall one titled a Canary Island Pine.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Are pine trees uncommon in SoCal? I recall seeing them from a restaurant window in Universal City.
They're around Clearman's Village too. Right now I'm thinking they might me more of the following variety. I recall an enormous model railroad setup under Pomona grandstand.

Ty's Model Railroad

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 9:56 PM

Pines are fairly ubiquitous in greater L.A.: Parks, schoolyards, streets, yards at home . . .

gsv; Pines (mostly) along Sunflower Avenue, on the approach to South Coast Plaza. No sunflowers, though.

Their cones, needle-drop, and sometimes oozing resinous sap make them less than ideal for street trees; but people tend to look on them favorably.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 1:11 AM

Quote:
I don't recognize anything in Pomona like that hill behind the car (I edited the original to make it clearer.) I do think the Mystery ghost might be Paul.

Wikipedia
"There's a fog upon LA..."
_8010002-Edit.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Are pine trees uncommon in SoCal? I recall seeing them from a restaurant window in Universal City. This famous Gilligan's Island publicity photo has pine trees in the background.

Of course, the two locations I mentioned are backlots of movie studios. But I believe I've seen them in Griffith Park, too. I'm not an expert on the local flora (nor fauna), but this LINK of Common Trees of Los Angeles has a few pines included, like this tall one titled a Canary Island Pine.

I'm not sure that's Gilligan's Island shot is from the backlot, it looks more like Franklin Canyon, the backlot wouldn't have that much space with pines in the background and it looks like it slopes up.
_B090006.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

They filmed the opening credits for "The Andy Griffith Show" at Franklin Canyon. They do have pine trees in Griffith Park as well, but they're not native. There are also pine trees in the San Gabriels, they're native to the higher elevations.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 2:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Pines are fairly ubiquitous in greater L.A.: Parks, schoolyards, streets, yards at home . . .

gsv; Pines (mostly) along Sunflower Avenue, on the approach to South Coast Plaza. No sunflowers, though.

Their cones, needle-drop, and sometimes oozing resinous sap make them less than ideal for street trees; but people tend to look on them favorably.
Very correct Odin....the needle drop OMG.
We had a very tall deodar pine tree [Wood of the Gods] in our Alhambra yard in the 1950-60s. The needle drop was huge. One season could easily fill several 55 gallon drums. That tree is still there in 2020....its at least 90+ years old. Its native to India and surrounding area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos