HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:32 PM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 18,419
Is Jackson County MO the only county with both a State Line Rd and a County Line Rd?

Jackson County MO (the main county Kansas City is in) has both a State Line Rd (on the west border) and a County Line Rd (on the south border).

I was wondering if it was the only county in the US with a combination like that?

Anybody else have weird road name pairs like that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:39 PM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 18,419
Also, Jackson County borders two counties named Johnson - Johnson County KS to the west, and Johnson County MO along the southeast.

Any other counties do that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:43 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 21,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Also, Jackson County borders two counties named Johnson - Johnson County KS to the west, and Johnson County MO along the southeast.

Any other counties do that?
Cook County, IL borders Lake County, IL to the north and Lake County, IN to the east.

they are also the two most populous counties named "Lake" in the nation.
__________________
This one has purple in it. Purple is a fruit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 7:45 PM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 18,419
^Thanks!

I was wondering if some other county in the South or Midwest might have that, since there's a lot of small counties that border other states.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:15 PM
SpawnOfVulcan's Avatar
SpawnOfVulcan SpawnOfVulcan is offline
Cat Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: America's Magic City
Posts: 3,613
In the Huntsville area, both Limestone and Madison Counties in Alabama share a County Line Rd and a State Line Rd runs E/W on the state line with Tennessee.
__________________
SSP Alabama Metros: Birmingham (City Compilation) - Huntsville - Mobile - Montgomery - Tuscaloosa - Daphne-Fairhope - Decatur

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:17 PM
Buckeye Native 001 Buckeye Native 001 is offline
E pluribus unum
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 29,569
There's a Five Mile Road, Eight Mile Road and Nine Mile Road on the east side of Hamilton County/Anderson Township/Cincinnati.

"Five/Eight/Nine miles from what?" was something I could never figure out as a kid. Cincinnati corporation limits? The Ohio River?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #7  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:20 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is offline
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 21,721
looking into it, Cook County, IL also has a "State Line Road" on the IL/IN border, and a "County Line Road" on the Cook County/Dupage County border, and a second "County Line Road" on the Cook County/Lake County, IL border.

i would imagine there are likely LOTS of counties out there with these two street names.
__________________
This one has purple in it. Purple is a fruit.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #8  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:24 PM
SpawnOfVulcan's Avatar
SpawnOfVulcan SpawnOfVulcan is offline
Cat Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: America's Magic City
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Also, Jackson County borders two counties named Johnson - Johnson County KS to the west, and Johnson County MO along the southeast.

Any other counties do that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
Cook County, IL borders Lake County, IL to the north and Lake County, IN to the east.

they are also the two most populous counties named "Lake" in the nation.
Baldwin County on Alabama's Gulf Coast borders Escambia County, AL to the NE and Escambia County, FL to the E.

EDIT: And, of course, the two Escambia's border each other.
__________________
SSP Alabama Metros: Birmingham (City Compilation) - Huntsville - Mobile - Montgomery - Tuscaloosa - Daphne-Fairhope - Decatur

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #9  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 8:35 PM
SpawnOfVulcan's Avatar
SpawnOfVulcan SpawnOfVulcan is offline
Cat Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: America's Magic City
Posts: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 View Post
There's a Five Mile Road, Eight Mile Road and Nine Mile Road on the east side of Hamilton County/Anderson Township/Cincinnati.

"Five/Eight/Nine miles from what?" was something I could never figure out as a kid. Cincinnati corporation limits? The Ohio River?
There should be an entire thread in the Transportation section about street naming conventions.... W/in the City of Birmingham, at a quick count on Google Maps, we have at minimum 5 neighborhoods with their own naming conventions and street grids (mostly due to a large number of annexations last century).
__________________
SSP Alabama Metros: Birmingham (City Compilation) - Huntsville - Mobile - Montgomery - Tuscaloosa - Daphne-Fairhope - Decatur

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #10  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:15 PM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 18,419
Looks like this is more common than I thought.

I was thinking Jackson County was unique!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #11  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:27 PM
pj3000's Avatar
pj3000 pj3000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Pittsburgh & Miami
Posts: 4,178
Erie County, PA has both
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #12  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 9:40 PM
craigs craigs is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 212
Washoe County, Nevada has two State Line Roads, one north of the Reno suburbs and another in Crystal Bay (north Lake Tahoe), and a County Line Rd. at the border with Carson City.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #13  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2019, 10:18 PM
brian_b brian_b is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
There should be an entire thread in the Transportation section about street naming conventions.... W/in the City of Birmingham, at a quick count on Google Maps, we have at minimum 5 neighborhoods with their own naming conventions and street grids (mostly due to a large number of annexations last century).
In Gary Indiana the north/south streets west of Broadway (the main north/south street) are named after presidents in order of election. The north/south streets east of Broadway are named after states in order of admission to the union. Indiana Street is missing (it was renamed after MLK).

On the northwest side of Chicago, all non-major north/south streets west of Cicero Ave are in alphabetical order (there's almost 50 of them).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #14  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 1:56 AM
xzmattzx's Avatar
xzmattzx xzmattzx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Also, Jackson County borders two counties named Johnson - Johnson County KS to the west, and Johnson County MO along the southeast.

Any other counties do that?
Kent County, Delaware, borders Kent County, Maryland. It's the only place in the US where two counties of the same name touch each other.

EDIT: that's what I read somewhere else, but now someone said something about these Escambia Counties.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #15  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:06 AM
xzmattzx's Avatar
xzmattzx xzmattzx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_b View Post
In Gary Indiana the north/south streets west of Broadway (the main north/south street) are named after presidents in order of election. The north/south streets east of Broadway are named after states in order of admission to the union. Indiana Street is missing (it was renamed after MLK).

On the northwest side of Chicago, all non-major north/south streets west of Cicero Ave are in alphabetical order (there's almost 50 of them).
I wanted to see that, and when I looked it up, it's wrong.

Delaware is the first state, followed by Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Georgia, and Connecticut. The streets go Massachusetts, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland, outward from Broadway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #16  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:18 AM
xzmattzx's Avatar
xzmattzx xzmattzx is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond Agent 007 View Post
Jackson County MO (the main county Kansas City is in) has both a State Line Rd (on the west border) and a County Line Rd (on the south border).

I was wondering if it was the only county in the US with a combination like that?

Anybody else have weird road name pairs like that?
New Castle County, Delaware, has a Maryland Line Road, a Delaware Line Road, and a Dixie Line Road.

Sussex County, Delaware, has a Line Road, West Line Road, East Line Road, and Maryland Delaware Line Road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #17  
Old Posted Nov 27, 2019, 2:36 AM
James Bond Agent 007's Avatar
James Bond Agent 007 James Bond Agent 007 is offline
Posh
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Kansas City, MISSOURI
Posts: 18,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Sussex County, Delaware, has a Line Road, West Line Road, East Line Road, and Maryland Delaware Line Road.
Now all they need is an Ocean Line Rd!
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:39 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.