HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
We have seen NBC's Radio City (Sunset & Vine) many times on NLA, but this particular image is new to the thread.

It shows numerous sailors and others leaving one of the radio broadcast during wartime.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orig-Slide-W...4AAOSwYlRZNdC3

I do love this photo, E_R.

Quote:
note the Navy officer on the steps with his (Mom?)

They're probably discussing the fantastic colorful mural they saw in the lobby!

___

You may have already done this, but the eBay listing indicates this slide was "#4" and I wondered what the first three might be. (I found no #5 or more.) The first three are of cement. Interesting cement, though...hand and footprints of the stars at Grauman's Chinese.

I did see another interesting color slide of Vine Street and the NBC building from the 1950's, from a different seller. Has this one been seen before? (I don't believe so.)

Current listing:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOS-ANGELES-...-/322509928149

There are 12 slides on the listing, but cannot study them right now.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 7:00 PM

Yesterday's Julius Shulman post showed an unfinished mystery building. Here's the promised solution to the mystery. It's "Job 871: Tony Rosenthal, 260 Beverly Drive Building. Sculpture (Beverly Hills, Calif.), 1950".

A close-up of the sculpture.

Both from Getty Research Institute

The title leaves two possible locations, but with only a 50:50 choice, it didn't take long to find 260 S Beverly Drive. The building now has lighter paintwork, but the sculpture is still in place. Note that the open windows are almost identical to the vintage view.

GSV

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 8:46 PM
BANNED

Quote:
We have seen NBC's Radio City (Sunset & Vine) many times on NLA, but this particular image is new to the thread.

It shows numerous sailors and others leaving one of the radio broadcast during wartime.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orig-Slide-W...4AAOSwYlRZNdC3

note the Navy officer on the steps with his (Mom?)

_
At the left we see the typical shoeshine boy hoping to snag a couple sailors for a 10 Cent ''shine''. We can even see some of the polish on his t-shirt.

When I was in the Navy these boys were still hanging around sailors.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 18, 2017 at 1:36 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 2:54 AM

I was going to ask what might be in the boys hand, but I forgot to; thanks CBD!
Not only shoeshine boys like to hang around sailors.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
Looking northeast. That's the Lincoln Heights Jail back there. This is the RR bridge that leads into and out of the Cornfield.

Looking north from the SP cornfield railhead, ca.1938

Nice shot of the confluence of tracks at the north end of the 'Cornfield' (out-of-frame to the left) and the crossover to the Taylor Yard trestles here at Lincoln Heights and up ahead at the Arroyo Seco overpass. The white building on the east side of the 'unimproved' LA river is the Lincoln Heights jail.

unsourced
Michael:

Sorry to correct you but the Passenger train is crossing the LA river on the Santa Fe main fron Pasadena, It did not go to the Cornfield but down the West side of the river to either LAPUT or the ATSF 3rd street yard. The tracts on the left going up the photo go to Midway yard and then to Taylor Yard.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 5:57 AM

Rainy day

Since I just went by here on a bus tonight and it won't rain in LA until November, here is a photo from the LA Times archive:

UCLA Digital Archive

The caption is:
View of a man crossing a flooded commercial street to get to his automobile. He is walking on a makeshift bridge made from wooden planks. A policeman wearing a uniform cap and a long raincoat stands next to the car. A sign below a window just above a headlight of the car appears to read "1557 Pico." Other signs on the buildings read "OK Auto Repair, Fliver Service," and "Laundry."
In the 1929 CD we find:

Kephart, Orlando I (Olive) auto repr 1537 W Pico

Nothing to see there today:

GSV

...although there seems to be a survivor a few buildings to the east.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 9:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfredmertz View Post
When Ed Exley and Jack Vincennes pull up in front of the address where they will first arrest the three African American kids, the check the registration of a car out front and Ed says "It's one of ours" and a black 1970s or 80s car drives past clearly in focus in the background. They kept the shot because it was the best take and used a clever trick. On the soundtrack, they added the sound of an old 1950s car driving past. It's subtle but it's there. The shot only lasts for a moment but Curtis figured it worked and most people missed it.

Looks like a 1950 Studebaker to me.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Very interesting pics of Robinson's Beverly Hills Hoss.

The top photo is probably the employees lounge, right?

What to you think this doo-hicky is? (next to the red arrow below)

detail

It's a scale. An odd thing to place in front of snack vending machines, if you think about it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
Since I just went by here on a bus tonight and it won't rain in LA until November, here is a photo from the LA Times archive:

UCLA Digital Archive

The caption is:
View of a man crossing a flooded commercial street to get to his automobile. He is walking on a makeshift bridge made from wooden planks. A policeman wearing a uniform cap and a long raincoat stands next to the car. A sign below a window just above a headlight of the car appears to read "1557 Pico." Other signs on the buildings read "OK Auto Repair, Fliver Service," and "Laundry."
In the 1929 CD we find:

Kephart, Orlando I (Olive) auto repr 1537 W Pico

Nothing to see there today:

GSV

...although there seems to be a survivor a few buildings to the east.

When rain freezes. http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=42019

January 1930.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 7:00 PM

There are just two images in today's Julius Shulman post - one color and one black & white. They're from "Job 2531: Victor Gruen Associates, World Savings Banks Institute (Lynwood, Calif.), 1958".

The images show the same angle, but I like both for different reasons.

Both from Getty Research Institute

Here's a vintage picture from Lynwood by Ilu Johnson and Chris Diaz. There's no date, but the cars suggest to me that it's probably mid- to late-60s.

books.google.com

When I took the Googlemobile to the intersection of Long Beach Boulevard and Imperial Highway, I found a McDonald's. The buildings on the right of the image above are still there. Looking at Historic Aerials, the bank building disappeared sometime between 1980 and 1994.

The vault apparently had an 18 ton door!

eBay

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
I really like the modern look of the front of the Firestone building Hoss. (I'm surprised it wasn't closer to the Firestone Plant on Firestone Blvd.)

That Michael's place looks really interesting in the aerial. I hope we can find out more about it.

detail / Michael's

and it's quite popular! look at all those cars.

You found a picture of the 'mystery' building! Excellent sleuthing odinthor.

Thanks so much for your help.

932 S. Hope [no date]

http://lit250v.library.ucla.edu/isla...t/laviews%3A92

I'm trying to match my 'arched' window. (maybe by 1925, it's hidden under that horizontal rectangular area)

_
Michaels was a very popular restaurant with the lunch time business crowd, it also had a bussling Happy Hour croud. Before it closed they placed an old railroad car alongside the building on the Telegraph Road side and it was used as an extension of the cocktail lounge. I had many lunches and drinks there.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for this BifRayRock.

"Lionel Sternberger, originator of the cheeseburger in 1926, opened up the Rite Spot on Avenue 26 and Colorado near Pasadena/Eagle Rock."

side view (this is the continuation of the awning you see in the previous photo)

http://lameekly.tumblr.com/post/8438...e-cheeseburger

I found this matchbook with various addresses and locations.

eBay

...but I also found this matchbook with two completely different locations.

eBay

inside the cover.

so I'm still a bit confused about Mr. Sternberger's hamburger......er, I mean cheeseburger empire.
The Rite Spot on colorado in Glendale moved to North Brand not sure of the date. But in the early 1950's the Colorado location was a Lincoln/Mercury dealership and I ate with my parents at the Brand Blvd. location.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 9:43 PM

Thanks Paul K. Was the food good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustifer View Post
I remember my family going to a Chinese place after church each Sunday in the late 50's.
Menu items included rumaki (chicken livers and water chestnuts wrapped in bacon) and Pressed Duck. These are things are rarely
if ever found anywhere now. The pressed duck consisted of perfect squares of boned minced duck with crispy skin fried up to resemble
a Wyler's beef boullion cube, usually served in some kind of plum sauce.

Whenever I'm scouring old menus on line, I always sigh with nostalgia when I see these things listed. Wish I had a plate now!
I never knew pressed duck was served in cubes! -that doesn't sound very appetizing (reminds me of the chicken in Banquet pot pies )

The two Jerry's Joynt photographs you reposted are two of my favorites on the thread. It was good to see them again.

Surprisingly, I just found two photographs pertaining to Jerry's Joynt that I believe are new to NLA.

The first one is poorly composed with the upper half of the photo devoted to a cloudless sky...

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=56917

but if you look in the lower left corner you see Jerry's Joint and a banner advertising an appearance by Anna May Wong to sign photographs.

here's an enlargement

detail

The trouble is...I can't quite figure what part of Jerry's Joynt we're seeing.
Are we looking over the roofs toward Ferguson Alley- (and that's the back and the side of Jerry's Joynt facing the alley?) -if so, strange place for a clock.

& does the wood cornice, painted white with the three lights, belong to Jerry's Joynt or a building just beyond it?

Inquiring minds want to know.
__

In the second photograph we finally get a glimpse inside the joint joynt.

http://jpg1.lapl.org/pics23/00031003.jpg

Group portrait at Jerry's Joynt, located at 500 N. Los Angeles, Chinatown; identified is actor Vince Barnett (seated right of center, unshaven).
The sign on the wall reads "Dan Tobey's Silver Jubilee and Barbecue, Jerry's Joynt, Chinatown."

I don't know who Vince Barnett is (or Dan Tobey!)
__

And one more thing:

6 years ago gsjansen post this ad.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=2520

And GW asked...what was meant by "That Strange Place of Elbowing."

I don't believe his question was ever answered. Does anyone have the answer now, six years later?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 18, 2017 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Surprisingly, I found two photographs pertaining to Jerry's Joynt that I believe are new to NLA.

The first one is poorly composed with the upper half of the photo devoted to a cloudless sky...

but if you look in the lower left corner you see Jerry's Joint and a banner advertising an appearance by Anna May Wong signing photographs.

here's an enlargement

detail

The trouble is...I can't quite figure what part of Jerry's Joynt we're seeing.
Are we looking over the roofs toward Ferguson Alley? (and that's the back and the side of Jerry's Joynt facing the alley) -strange place for a clock.

& does the white top (wood cornice) with the three lights belong to Jerry's Joynt or a building just beyond it?
Here are a couple of pictures of Jerry's Joynt. I think we must be looking at the rear.

USC Digital Library

This shot, with Jerry's Joynt on the left, shows the building from e_r's photo.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 10:53 PM

Oh yes. Thank you so much Hoss.

hmm....but to tell you the truth, I'm still a bit confused.

I'm trying to place the white cornice so it 'hovers' over Jerry's Joynt like in the first pic, and I can't do it.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 11:00 PM

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=2540

Hoss, both building on this map, right?
__

p.s.

I just noticed in your second photo that I was wrong about the cornice being wood....it's actual brick. My bad.

I also thought the white cornice belonged to a small building when in fact it's the corner of a much larger building. (the white paint confused me)

Of course, now it's plain as day. (color me embarrassed)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 18, 2017 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2017, 11:40 PM

I also had my orientation the wrong way around until I took another look at my second picture and spotted a gasometer in the background. That means we're looking down Ferguson Alley. Here's a better view of the mystery building from November 1933.

USC Digital Library

I think it would just count as being on the end of Calle de Los Negros. I've indicated Jerry's Joynt with the blue arrow and the mystery building with the red arrow in the detail image below.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 1:58 AM

Sorry Hoss, I was knocked offline for over an hour.

That last pic with the blue and red arrows is really helpful.

Now it all falls into place!

We're looking, at the front right corner of Jerry's Joynt. (at a slight angle)

but there's one caveat....the photograph (above) had to have been taken before the front was remodeled (shown below)

That's what confused me as well.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 19, 2017 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 3:22 AM

And speaking of joints.

"Vtg 1940's Hollywood bar or downtown Los Angeles Drunken Bar Kissing Party Girls"

The first two photographs show two different men wearing overalls kissing a blonde.

...while her friend, a blindfolded brunette, stands fetchingly nearby.

Here the friend applies more lipstick.....or eats a peanut.

If you look closely she's leaning against one of those bowling games you find in an arcade.

Everyone's having such a good time!

More kissing! !!

I thought this was the same couple at first, but it's a different woman. (same man though)

ebay

This is the most sedate photograph of the group.

ebay

Behind the foursome, you can see the bowling game again.

Group photo. Is that elephant wallpaper along the wall or some sort of game?

ebay

note the 8x10 b/w photographs lined up along the wall. (just like the photos we're looking at now)

The lady, second from left, looks alot like Joan Bennett. (and somewhat like Elizabeth Short)

Another lady toots her horn.

makes me think it's probably New Years.

but this last photo makes me think it's Halloween.

ebay

That little guy dancing looks like Leo Carrillo

note the old tv set.

__

I believe the photographs have sold. (they were being sold individually about a week and a half ago)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 19, 2017 at 4:17 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2017, 8:09 AM

Compton's Eagle Tree

I was leafing through a book today and learned about this tree for the first time. The Eagle Tree, a sycamore, was used
as a landmark in surveying the boundary of Rancho San Pedro in 1857. Here is a 1952 photo of the Eagle Tree, which got
its name because eagles nested in it:

Cal State Dominguez Hills Digital Collections

In the mid-1940s oil pipelines threatened the tree, but due to its history, it was preserved and marked with a plaque
in 1947 (I looked at a 1943 map of Compton, and I didn't see an Electric Avenue, so I think that reference below is
an error):

April 17, 1947, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

In 1954, a local oldtimer recalled the tree from the days of his youth:

Here is Mr. Gaines, who lived until 1962, posing next to the 1947 plaque. There is a Wesley Gaines Elementary School
in Paramount that may be named for him (his dad had the same name):

October 17, 1954, Los Angeles Times @ ProQuest via LAPL

Since then, the Eagle Tree has not been entirely forgotten. It was the subject of a November 15, 1987, Los Angeles Times
article, the Dominguez Rancho Adobe Museum's website has a page on the tree, and Nathan Masters has mentioned it.

I wanted to see what the tree looked like now. This is the tree, at Poppy and Short in Compton, on the September 2014 GSV:

Here's the Bing Streetside view from February 15, 2015:

And, finally -- perhaps in more ways than one -- the Eagle Tree on the most current GSV, July 2015:

It's like El Aliso all over again!

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Oct 8, 2018 at 2:37 AM. Reason: stupid photobucket

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos