HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 2:15 AM

What's your state or country's outpost?

What place in your state seems like it should belong in another state? For Texas, I'd say its clearly El Paso sharing a lot in common with New Mexico, though I don't know enough about the Rio Grande Valley to comment, as I'd presume many of the places that border Mexico are far different than I-35 and east in Texas.

Last edited by ThePhun1; Sep 26, 2015 at 6:29 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:30 AM
disneypilled verhoevenist

springfield and sw missouri belongs in oklahoma, southeast mo belongs in arkansas. you could make the argument that both places belong in arkansas, too. i really have no idea how missouri happened. kentucky is all the way south of the ohio but theres no clear demarcation between north and south in missouri.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:43 AM
devout Pizzatarian

For illinois, i guess chicagoland would be the outpost.

Chicagoland don't like downstate.

And downstate don't like chicagoland.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:44 AM
Perch

For Pennsylvania, it's a no-brainer -- Erie. The most un-Pennsylvania of Pennsylvania places. It's an eastern Great Lakes port city and more closely affiliated with New York. Closer and more connected to Buffalo and Cleveland than any other PA city.

Last edited by Perch; Sep 25, 2015 at 4:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

That sounds like New York and New York.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post

I'd say southern Illinois. There are Chicago ties to Champaign-Urbana, Springfield, Peoria, and Rockford. Much less so southern Illinois, which is culturally more similar to the South, IMO. Hell, it played a prominent role in the despicable Reverse Underground Railroad. The topography is different. The dialect is different. Maybe this is changing as the small towns empty out and people start gravitating towards the region's larger cities.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 4:44 AM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

For Ohio, historically, I'd say Toledo. It belongs in Michigan. The rest of the state is so "regional" that I can't say Marietta belongs in West Virginia or Youngstown belongs in Pennsylvania. It's five distinct states: Northeast = New England; Southwest = Virginia; Northwest = Indiana; Southeast = West Virginia; Central = Corn meets Appalachia.

http://www.bestromanticinns.com/

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 4:59 AM

The Northeast=New England, really? It doesn't even border a state that borders New England, even by lake.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 5:42 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Northwestern Ohio was once Connecticut's "Western Reserve."

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 10:17 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Could say that South Florida is a small Northeast outpost of the state (An possibly the South) and is a small Cuban/Caribbean of the US in general. Used to be Southern, but it has been its own thing for almost half a century.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:42 PM
Baltimore

Maryland = Cumberland. It is more like West Virginia than Maryland.
Louisiana = Shreveport. It has more in common with east texas or Arkansas than Louisiana. "Real" Louisiana really stops near Alexandria.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 12:48 PM
sick transit, gloria

Not a state, but in Ontario it's Kenora / Lake of the Woods area in the NW corner of the province. Unlike most of the rest of the North it's pretty wealthy and basically cottage country for Winnipeg. I had to go there for work and the easiest and cheapest way to get there is to fly to Winnipeg and make the 2.5 hr drive. Through Ontario you have to fly to Thunder Bay, and then take a small Bearskin Air flight (~$600) that hops between 2 other places in the Northwest. It's even in the same time zone as Manitoba.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 2:15 PM
cities|transit|croissants

DC: Far Upper Northwest (Tenleytown, Friendship Heights, Palisades, AU Park), which is suburban Maryland but inside the DC boundary.

Maryland: The western part, in the Appalachians. Definitely more WV than MD.

Virginia: Northern Virginia, the DC suburbs, which probably should just be part of Maryland.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:04 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

In Colorado, I'd have to say Pueblo. It's not agricultural rural or mountain rural - those are different cultures, but both very much a part of Colorado. Pueblo is a Front Range city, but without the growth, wealth, vibrancy, or lifestyle shared, to a more or lesser degree, by every other Colorado city. It's a remnant of a manufacturing economy that doesn't exist anymore, and outside of Pueblo, hardly ever existed in Colorado. It's basically a poor steel city that belongs in PA or Ohio.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
The Northeast=New England, really? It doesn't even border a state that borders New England, even by lake.
Settled by New Englanders. The western reserve of CT. Cleveland/NE Ohio is more like PA and NY than like the rest of Ohio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fflint View Post
Northwestern Ohio was once Connecticut's "Western Reserve."
Northeastern Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
Could say that South Florida is a small Northeast outpost of the state (An possibly the South) and is a small Cuban/Caribbean of the US in general. Used to be Southern, but it has been its own thing for almost half a century.
If it was still the 1950s-80s, I would agree. The notion that S Fla is some type of "6th borough" of NYC is quite dated. The "East Coast" influence has been highly watered down over the past few decades as Miami/Ft/ Laud/WPalmBch are has rapidly grown.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I would consider Tallahassee to be more like Georgia than a Floridian city with its forresty rolling hills, historic feel...etc.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perch View Post
For Pennsylvania, it's a no-brainer -- Erie. The most un-Pennsylvania of Pennsylvania places. It's an eastern Great Lakes port city and more closely affiliated with New York. Closer and more connected to Buffalo and Cleveland than any other PA city.
Maybe. But I'd like to think - or perhaps hope SE PA could be its own state. Philadelphia + Bucks, Chester, Montgomery, and Delaware counties. It's the rest of this damn state that keeps PA as the only state in the NE not to recognize gay marriage or legalize marijuana. Unlike NYC and Chicago, Philadelphia doesn't truly dominate the rest of the state because we have a large rural population, the city of Pittsburgh, plus a host of small cities spread throughout the state. Of course, if SE PA broke away, the remaining part of the state would probably go broke pretty quickly.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:32 PM

What's the best part about Miami? That its so close to the US.
Miami, the Everglades and the Keys is not just a Florida outpost, but it's a US outpost (geographically, ecologically, culturally), slinking down into the subtropics.

Good call on Tallahassee with the hills, but I always felt a distinct difference crossing over the border to either Alabama or Georgia. There's enough other Floridians in the area to make it representative.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 3:35 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

In Alberta, I guess Fort Chipewyan. It is still very much an outpost but it has more in common with places like Hay River and Fort Smith than Fort McMurray or High Level.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2015, 4:03 PM

Definitely Point Roberts. It's not connected to the rest of the state by land - you have to go through BC to get to it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point_Roberts,_Washington

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions