HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Feb 4, 2014, 5:22 PM
The City

Chicago holds celebration to attract more Chinese tourists

Quote:
CHICAGO, Jan. 30 (Xinhua) -- Chicago will for the first time host a Chinese New Year celebration in an effort to attract more Chinese tourists, the city government of Chicago said Thursday.

The 15-day celebration, running from Jan. 31 to Feb. 14, will feature cultural performances and fireworks displays to mark "the Year of Horse" according to the Chinese lunar calendar, which starts on Jan. 31.

Mayor of Chicago Rahm Emanuel told Xinhua Thursday that he hoped Chinese tourists could "feel welcome and at home coming to Chicago", adding that the tourists "could do tremendous shopping in a very small space. Everything you can get in New York, you can get here in Chicago."

Chicago will "start advertising (Chicago) restaurants, shopping, sports, and other great cultural identities" in China through its three offices in Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, Emanuel said.

He said that Chicago has one of the largest China towns in North America, which is a rich part of the city's history.

He aimed to make the celebration an annual event until it becomes "the largest Chinese New Year celebration of any city in North America."

He believed that as more Chinese tourists come to Chicago, they would help facilitate economic and cultural exchanges between the people of Chicago and the people of China.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 12:50 AM
TL;DR

^ About time. I've attended many private Chinese New Year parties and always had a good time.

Hopefully in 50 years' time this will evolve into something like the ChIrish green-beer-fueled shitshow that is St Patty's Day.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2014, 2:06 AM
The City

^ Yeah, the only problem is that in its inaugural year (right now) we happen to be having one of the shittiest winters of all time

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 1:15 AM

Saw a commercial today for a new primetime CNN series called "Chicagoland." It focuses on Emanuel's grip on the city, both bad and good. Should be interesting...starts sometime in march I believe.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 1:55 AM

Have you guys heard about Jason Brown? He's a minor Sochi sensation and hails from my hometown of Highland Park. A video of his performance from the US National Championships has racked up nearly four million hits.

Video Link

Here's a list of all the Chicagoland athletes competing in Sochi.

Other recently-ish newsworthy Highland Park natives include the founders of the highly successful game Cards Against Humanity and late internet genius Aaron Swartz (R.I.P.).

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 2:08 AM

Also, Ke$ha and her mom were/are both in some sort of therapy/rehab at Timberline Knolls in the southern suburb of Lemont. Demi Lovato also spent time there. Had any of you guys heard about this place? I had no idea it even existed till my coworker mentioned it to me.

Relatedly, the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders is headquartered in Naperville. I was also unaware of this.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 2:12 AM

BTW, I think this is an awesome idea for a thread. I tried to start something similar a million years ago but I never follow up with anything on here and predictably it died.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2014, 2:19 AM

ALSO (last one), regarding Chinese tourists: I'd love to see more Asian immigrants to Chicago. Residents of Illinois reporting Asian ancestry increased from 422,256 to 590,209 between 2000 and 2010 according to the Census but I think the number who live in Chicago proper stagnated...

Old Posted Feb 15, 2014, 8:30 PM

C2e2

C2E2 baby!

It's gonna be at the end of April. I haven't been to it yet (or San Diego Comic Con). But I have been to the New York Comic Con, and I will say that even if your not into comics (or other parts of geek culture), these types of conventions are worthwhile experiences. You really can't find a more passionate group of fans consuming every little part of their sub-culture. I'm not huge into American comics, but I do enjoy good Anime and Manga. And I do partake in my share of gaming, so I'm sure C2E2 should be a satisfying experience. Apparently, it's only 3-4 years old, and started off small. But since it's start, its grown exponentially, and is even attracting pretty big celebs and prominent people in comics (this year Stan Lee will be there, the creator of Spider Man). And the time of year it's put on is perfect, as San Diego Comic Con is August, and NYCC is October. So C2E2 should attract people from the entire country.

Here's a little recap video of last year:

2013 recap

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 7:28 PM

I remember stumbling into Barcade Brooklyn in 2006 and thinking to myself that a similar idea would be a money making machine in Chicago, especially with our rich history with companies like Stern Electronics, Chicago Coin Machine Manufacturing Company, Midway, and Bally.

Now Chicago has five Arcade Bars that I am aware of.

Logan Arcade Opens Monday: A Look Inside

Article: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...ay-look-inside

Old Posted Feb 17, 2014, 7:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
C2E2 baby!

It's gonna be at the end of April.....
Speaking of C2E2, it is nice to see our city used as a backdrop in Marvel publications. Before the age of the internet, every artist (DC and Marvel) worked and lived in the NYC metro area because it was the focal point of the industry. Now you can be an artist and deliver artwork from anywhere in the world due to the power of internet.

Last edited by Justin_Chicago; Feb 18, 2014 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2014, 9:48 PM

Philip Seymour Hoffman's will requests son live in Chicago, New York

In the will dated October 2004, the late actor also set up a trust fund for his then only child, Cooper, and requested that he be raised in New York, Chicago or San Francisco. If that was not possible, Hoffman requested that his son visit the U.S. cities at least twice a year.

"The purpose of this request is so that my son will be exposed to the culture, arts and architecture that such cities offer," the will said.

Article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/entert...,1093303.story

Old Posted Feb 20, 2014, 12:53 AM

Sting sings songs from his new musical at Steppenwolf benefit

STING’S NEW MUSICAL, “The Last Ship,” mounted for $14 million, will be sailing into Chicago for a month’s stay this summer en route to the world premiere on Broadway in the fall.

But wait, before those two musical events happen, Sting will appear Monday, Feb. 24 at a benefit for Steppenwolf Theatre’s Artist Development fund, at the theatre’s main stage.

Rock Hall of Famer Sting will converse with “The Last Ship” star, Jimmy Nail, and sing some songs from the musical. It’s about the demise of local shipbuilding in Sting and Nail’s home town in Northeast England and tells the story of a group of unemployed shipyard workers who are inspired to take back their shipyard to build one last ship, for their own pride and humanity.

Article: http://www.reelchicago.com/article/s...-benefit140219

Old Posted Feb 25, 2014, 9:17 PM

Shake Shack coming to Chicago. Opening in the Shops at North Bridge

http://articles.redeyechicago.com/20...on-square-park

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 2:51 PM

We will see some major gentrification in Pilsen during the next two years. Restaurateurs pave the way.

Bang Bang Pie Eyes Pilsen For Its Next Location

Pilsen is "a neighborhood we understand" with a "cool mesh of culture" similar to Logan Square and Brooklyn, he said.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...-next-location

Can East Garfield Park be next? The art community is already strong, but the neighborhood still lacks a strong presence of bars and restaurants.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:39 PM
BANNED

Anyone seen this? It was on last night at 9pm I missed it.

Any thoughts.

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...es-cnn-tonight

CNN launches documentary series 'Chicagoland' tonight

]The formula: Tight focus on protagonists and lots of conflict

March 06, 2014|By David Zurawik | The Baltimore Sun

CNN's heavily-promoted prime-time documentary series "Chicagoland" launches tonight at 10.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 6:36 PM

I was surprised by the level of content on the show. The previews focused on the political battles between Rahm and the teacher's union, but the first episode touched on our rich city culture too. The episode had brief scenes of the start-up incubator 1871, Alinea, music festivals and the emerging artist Chance The Rapper performing at the Metro. Yes we have crime ridden sections of the city, which we are trying to address, but our city still has many great selling points and opportunities.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 11:10 PM
The City

I thought it was good, but hope to see it expand beyond the whole CTU/Karen Lewis vs. Rahm Emanuel debacle. I'm sure it will, but being the fact that it was filmed during the time that it was, I have a sense that the entire series will have overtones of that particular feud

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 2:36 AM
BANNED

This may just pie in the sky but at least some are thinking about all of Illinois grads not getting accepted in state and having to go to other Big Ten schools. Could NIU do it too. The article never mentioned them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...51--ncaaf.html

Two lawmakers want one more Big Ten school in Illinois

Sam Cooper
By Sam Cooper March 24, 2014 12:56 PM Dr. Saturday

The Big Ten is already welcoming two new members – Maryland and Rutgers – to the conference this year. Could another school be joining the conference too? Two Illinois lawmakers hope so.

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Illinois Senators Michael Connelly and Matt Murphy have introduced legislation “to study what it would take for Illinois to get one of its current public universities – like Illinois State University or Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville -- to become a Big Ten school.”

The two think tough admissions standards at the University of Illinois are causing many students to continue their educations out of state. Illinois and the private Northwestern are the only two Big Ten schools in the state, and Connelly thinks being a “Big Ten school” carries a lot of weight.

“’Big Ten,’ to me, means a top state school,” Connelly said. “There’s a lot of pride in that. The Big Ten has a cachet and a record of higher academic and athletic excellence. Indiana, Iowa, … they come swooping in, and they’re taking some of our really talented kids out of the state – and sometimes for good, so there’s a talent drain that is there, as well.”

For ISU or SIU join the likes of Maryland and Rutgers, at least 70 percent of the Big Ten Council of Presidents and Chancellors would have to come to an agreement.

Connelly thinks with the help of the state (if the bill passes), ISU or SIU could become the next Big Ten school “once their academics and athletics advance a bit.”

Old Posted Mar 26, 2014, 6:11 PM

Interesting Bit of Positive Coverage from the NYT for Once

Chicago Opera Scene Hits High Note With Loyal Audiences

MARCH 24, 2014, 6:29 P.M. E.D.T.

CHICAGO — The plot summary of U.S. opera in recent years has unfolded like the last act of a Verdi tragedy: New York City Opera, dead; Opera Boston, dead; San Diego Opera, on its final aria.

The Chicago opera scene, however, is all up tempo.

The nation's third most populous city has not only preserved its devotion to opera, it has expanded it, despite hard times for the art form elsewhere. Opera experts credit creative programming, solid philanthropic help and a loyal, enthusiastic audience.

"The Chicago opera scene has been unusually vibrant," said F. Paul Driscoll, editor of Opera News magazine, who compared the enthusiasm at Lyric Opera performances to the excitement at sporting events. "Chicago has a huge appetite for music." Nationally, 2.1 percent of the U.S. population attended an opera performance in 2012, down from 3.2 percent in 2002, according to the National Endowment for the Arts.

New York City Opera went bankrupt last year. San Diego Opera announced it would close after the current season finishes in April. New York's famed Metropolitan Opera, the nation's largest, reported a budget shortfall.In contrast, ticket sales for Chicago's Lyric are up 15 percent for fiscal year 2013, a 14-month period which ended June 30, 2013. It no longer sells out the season on subscriptions, as it did in the 1990s, but at 72 percent of ticket sales it still has the biggest subscriber base of any U.S. company, according to Opera America, a national opera service organization.

The smaller Chicago Opera Theater (COT), known for out-of-the-box productions like Duke Ellington's "Queenie Pie," last year saw a 20 percent jump in subscribers, said general director Andreas Mitisek.

New companies have sprung up as well. Haymarket Opera Company specializes in the Baroque era, and South Shore Opera Company has done shows using African-American casts, including William Grant Still's "Troubled Island."

"There's a hunger for all these different things," said Mitisek, who also directs California's Long Beach Opera.

REELING THEM IN

What's going right in Chicago?

One factor is an active, experimental local theater scene, Mitisek said. So COT can find an audience for shows like Ricky Ian Gordon's "Orpheus and Eurydice," staged last year at public swimming pools, used as staging for the mythical River Styx.

Northwestern, Roosevelt and DePaul universities all have vocal programs that feed area companies with fresh talent. And Chicago's generous philanthropic community helps offset the rising costs of mounting an operatic production, according to opera experts...

More here: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2014/...f=reuters&_r=0

Just another benefit of the broad based, neighborhood, orientation of our city. The strength of Chicago lies in the neighborhoods. Our local theater troops, universities spread throughout our neighborhoods, and various other cultural nodes spread across the city provide a surprisingly strong base for our large scale cultural institutions downtown just as the neighborhood building stock provides a strong base for our booming core and skyline. This is good to hear because Opera is something I don't follow very closely, but it's good to know the scene is thriving here while it is struggling even in places like NYC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest