HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jan 24, 2013, 6:16 PM

I hope so. I haven't seen any finalized renderings. Have any of you?

Old Posted Feb 1, 2013, 3:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post
I think summer 2013. Hope so.
Yes, probably sometime in late-May or June. Nobody who will tell you when.

Lets wait and see.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2013, 2:55 AM

We should know a little more in about a month, when the airport will be releasing their budget request for the 2013-2014 fiscal year (July 2013-June 2014). The current budget, that runs until the end of June this year, says this about the project:

Quote:
Guided by the approved Airport Master Plan and various programming and preliminary schematic designs, the Airport, with its consultants and the Airline Representatives, is commencing construction of the Terminal Redevelopment Program (TRP).

The FY13 budget includes $24 million for Specialty Consultants to continue developing a plan of execution for the TRP. Step one of the TRP program begins with funding of $54 million for the Rental Car Quick Turn Around and Service Facilities.

Because of the age of the terminal buildings and the need to provide reliable, safe, and efficient terminal facilities, $6.7 million is included in the FY13 budget to continue the Concourse and Terminal Renovation-Phase 1. This includes funding for continuation of restroom renovations, TU1 pedestrian bridge floor modifications, replacement of carpet and fritz tile flooring throughout the terminals and concourses, and improvements to the smoking rooms to enhance the efficiency of the exhaust system.

http://www.slcairport.com/cmsdocumen...book_final.pdf
I'm not sure we'll see much of what we're hoping for this year, including more detailed plans. It looks to me like other than some light remodeling and possibly the moving of utilities and car rental facilities, most of what will go on this year is behind the scenes work (including finalizing the plans).

The Airport Board has hardly mentioned the project in their minutes: http://www.slcairport.com/agendas-min.asp. And this memorandum (http://www.slccouncil.com/agendas/20...061912A4F1.pdf) from the SLC Council doesn't have the city issuing bonds for the project until June 2014, when it says work on moving the car rental facilities will begin.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 3:47 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Trax testing at the Salt Lake Airport Trax station
Video of a Trax Train pulling up towards to new Trax Station at the airport.
Video Link
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 4:53 PM

The SLC airport has created a new website dedicated solely to the new terminal development. The airport is also asking people to provide feedback as the terminal is designed. This is your best chance to give your two cents and also a site you can learn more about the new SLC terminal project.

http://www.myairportslc.com

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 1:15 AM
BANNED

Does anyone know what terminal and gate at SLC Alaska Airlines will use? I have looked on their website and could not find any information concerning SLC airport info for Alaska Airlines. I am flying them in less than a month and I can't find any info on them at the SLC airport! Thanks.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 1:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeights22 View Post
Does anyone know what terminal and gate at SLC Alaska Airlines will use? I have looked on their website and could not find any information concerning SLC airport info for Alaska Airlines. I am flying them in less than a month and I can't find any info on them at the SLC airport! Thanks.
It will most likely be Terminal 1 and concourse A or B.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 2:01 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
It will most likely be Terminal 1 and concourse A or B.
Hmm, I was thinking they would be in terminal 2, with Delta..? I know the two airlines are close and I know that Alaska uses Delta terminal's and gates' at Atlanta and Minneapolis so I was wondering if they would operate similar at SLC. Anyways, if anyone knows, please share. Mahalo.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 6:00 PM

They will be in terminal 2 and have a check in area by the delta counter. Their flights will depart from C concourse. They are partners with Delta and American but they are relying on more Delta passengers from the SLC hub to contribute to their business. You'll also see a lot of Alaska customers connecting in SLC to and from Delta flights.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post
They will be in terminal 2 and have a check in area by the delta counter. Their flights will depart from C concourse. They are partners with Delta and American but they are relying on more Delta passengers from the SLC hub to contribute to their business. You'll also see a lot of Alaska customers connecting in SLC to and from Delta flights.
In that case, forget what I said.

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 8:05 PM

Just thought I'd give some progress info on the airport and put a perspective of how important the airport is to the local economy...

The terminal redevelopment program is still in progress and unlike years previous, is now full steam. Meaning, the new terminal is going to be built. While it will take a few years to see a major difference, it is happening. The airport recently instituted a website for the public's input on what people want to see with the new terminal. I encourage you to give your input. Visit http://myairportslc.com/ to view updates and provide your two cents.

The airport has recently contracted with law firms and architecture and engineeering firms to complete the blueprints for the new terminal.

Based on an independent firm's recent analysis, they provided the following details regarding the state of what our airport provides to the local economy:
The new terminal project is estimated to provide nearly 2,000 jobs during construction and over 37,000 jobs over a 12 year period with a $3.6 billion economic impact to the local economy.

The airport receives a wealth of both business and tourist travelers. Currently, tourists contribute overall more to the economy but business travelers contribute more per person. The total impact of both tourist and business visitors to SLC airport will contribute more than 200,000 jobs in the local area over the next seven years and nearly $12 billion in payroll and GDP locally.

In summary, the SLC airport contributes an enormous amount to our economy. The expansion and redevelopment of the terminal will only increase this. It should be noted Delta and other airlines are on board with the redevelopment and have extended their commitment. Delta in particular, which is the largest tenant and operates a large hub at the airport sits on the board which oversees the redevelopment program.

New destinations being added soon:

US Airways: nonstop to Philadelphia in June
Delta: nonstop to Madison, WI in June

Again, visit http://myairportslc.com/ to give your input on the new terminal.

Last edited by skyguy414; May 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM.

Old Posted May 11, 2013, 11:25 PM
BANNED

Thanks for all the info on SLC skyguy!

I'm hearing that Alaska Air might add a SLC-PDX flight. Their new service between SLC and SEA has been extremely successful.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 10:44 PM

S.L. draws up airport plans - Renovation will begin next spring and be finished by 2024

By Annie Knox - Associated Press

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...ort-plans.html

Mountain views, faster takeoffs and workout equipment are a few things Salt Lake City officials are considering as they draw up plans for a nearly $2 billion remake of the city's airport. Scott G Winterton, Deseret News

SALT LAKE CITY — Mountain views, faster takeoffs and workout equipment are a few things Salt Lake City officials are considering as they draw up plans for a nearly $2 billion remake of the city's airport.

The bulk of the budget for construction comes from fees airlines pay to use the facility and from passengers buying tickets, among a few other sources. Federal grants make up about 11 percent of the bankroll.

Some wings of the airport are about 50 years old. Others date back over 30 years. That means a new facility is overdue, said Salt Lake City International Airport spokeswoman Barbara Gann.

"Airport years are longer" than human ones she said, due to changing technology and increases in traffic. The original facility was designed to shepherd about 12 million travelers each year, roughly half as many as it does now...

Last edited by delts145; May 22, 2013 at 1:21 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2013, 10:59 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Can't wait til next spring. The next ten years at my work should be....well fun to watch this devemlopment with a front seat view.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2013, 11:24 AM

I remember this being predicted as a forgone conclusion from the onset of the merger. My question now to someone such as Skyguy would be, what kind of additions will come to Salt Lake City as Memphis loses it's hub status?

Delta to close hub operations in Memphis

By JOSHUA FREED | The Associated Press

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/money/5...ights.html.csp

Minneapolis • Delta Air Lines said Tuesday that it will drop its money-losing hub in Memphis, Tenn., this fall, slashing flights there and eliminating 230 jobs.

The cuts begin Sept. 3, right after Labor Day weekend and the end of the busy summer travel season...

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 6:39 AM

It's hard to say for sure. Memphis is/was surely a redundant hub in the Delta system.

I could see more service to the south central part of the US from SLC. Delta has recently added more service from SLC to Houston, Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio. I wouldn't be surprised to see the nonstop to Little Rock come back (it ended around 2008 or 2009 but did relatively well). Otherwise, I don't predict a whole lot of change locally as a result of the Memphis hub closing.

On a side note...the airport is having regular meetings now with the achitecture firm assigned to design the new terminal (HOK), and airport tenants (with Delta on the designing board). Minor changes are made at each meeting. The airport is getting busier for the summer season. The SLC-Paris route was upgraded to an Airbus 330 for the summer months adding more seats and a better performing and larger aircraft than previous summers. The US Airways SLC to Philadelphia route started yesterday and flights so far have been full.

Our airport is oftenly the first and last impression we leave upon visitors to our city and even the only impression (millions of passengers fly through SLC every year just to connect flights. We can easily persuade a lot of these people to come visit longer). I will say, there are so many passengers who awe at the scenery just seen from the windows in the concourses and the intrigue the area gives. Again, I encourage everyone to submit your feedback on what you want to see in the new terminal at www.myairportslc.com.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 7:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguy414 View Post
It's hard to say for sure. Memphis is/was surely a redundant hub in the Delta system.
My father was initially employed by Western Airlines in 1986, later bought out by Delta, as we all know, in 1987. He retired after 20 years. Being a son of flight benefits, I remember Delta always having three major hubs; Atlanta, Cincinnati, and SLC.

Now, Delta has major hubs overseas and across the eastern seaboard. With the loss of Memphis as a major hub, that leaves SLC as the only major hub in North America west of the Mississippi to the world's largest airline.

My question is this: SLC International has no where to go but up... Right?

Additional flights, connections both international and domestic?

I'd hate to see SLC Airport turn into Memphis (which is THE hub for FedEx).

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 10:58 AM

No, I don't see SLC losing Delta as a hub.

Delta in SLC has a lot going for it:

- It is geographically located in a good location for connecting flights with no other hubs nearby (unlike Memphis).
- Costs are very low to the airline to operate here.
- There is a strong presence of originating/destination passengers to compliment the connecting passengers here and the O/D numbers are growing.
- Strong and growing local economy.
- Long standing support from the community and a strong premium customer base.
- Dedicated and long serving employees with better customer service than the rest of Delta's network (SLC is award winning in that regard).
- According to the FAA, SLC is the best on time performing airport in the country.
- Mostly good weather year-round. Meaning less delays, less cost to the airline.

Whether this leads to a larger presence remains to be seen. The more people who fly in and out of SLC airport will definitely help. SLC has proven nonstop to overseas destinations is very viable (The Paris route has been very successful). I would expect SLC-Tokyo to return one day and additional service to Europe (not necessarily on Delta).

Again, to re-iterate...Delta has committed to SLC's new terminal development and they sit on the panel overseeing the new terminal's development.

Last edited by skyguy414; Jun 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2013, 9:57 PM
Vote for me in 2019!

Another secondary factor in the need for the county and city, and even the state to pony up the money for a convention hotel convention and parking space. More conventioneers, = more flights = a larger commitment by Delta and other airlines = a busier and more prosperous airport.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2013, 7:10 AM
Bring out the cranes...

New PDF that shows layouts, drawings, renderings and more.....
http://www.slcairport.com/cmsdocumen...esentation.pdf

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West