HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 9:44 PM
ColoRADo

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
I see the overhead covering on the Amtrak platform (the long one), but the other platforms in the middle of the oculus still seem quite barren of overhead cover.

Still waiting.
This.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 9:48 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Oops! Forgot to include this one.. This is the platform under the canopy closest to Union Station..

http://denverinfill.com/blog/2013/09...pdate-122.html
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 10:56 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
Oops! Forgot to include this one.. This is the platform under the canopy closest to Union Station.
Ryan, that picture shows that the Amtrak platform has an overhead covering along its entire length. It also shows that the other three platforms that are under the oculus still only have the white metal overhead frame, but no covering.

So, still waiting.

Awesome pictures, though. How did you get the one looking into the canopy over the pedestrian crossing? A zoom lens on The Metro's parking garage?

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 11:59 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

Ah, gotcha. Makes sense that's still Amtrak. Duh on my part haha. As far as the pictures go, I ignored some signs and walked up the viaduct.
Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 2:33 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

So reading about BroncosRide options for tomorrow's game. This caught my attention:

And, because of the large number of buses needed for normal commuter service, RTD is not able to provide BroncosRide bus service from the Federal Center Station on weeknight games.

Riders are encouraged to take the new West Line light rail from the Federal Center Station and use the stop at the Decatur-Federal Station, which is near the south stadium entrance.

Sort of begs the question why a shuttle from the Federal Center to Mile High would ever be needed, doesn't it? Doesn't say much for the West Corridor...

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 2:18 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
Sort of begs the question why a shuttle from the Federal Center to Mile High would ever be needed, doesn't it? Doesn't say much for the West Corridor...
It begs a question, but not the one you're asking. Instead, it begs the question of why the hell RTD comes up that sort of excuse instead of saying that the W Line is there, ride it.

You don't see BroncosRide stops along the SW or SE Lines, why is RTD even bothering providing the service still from the Federal Center Station for weekend games? It's not necessary and people will quickly adjust to riding the W Line to a Broncos game. But it would be even quicker adjustment if RTD killed the Federal Center stop entirely. I sense the RTD's reluctance to get into another battle with the commuter crowd that are pissed that their hugely subsidized rides were killed.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 5, 2013, 2:47 PM

I pinged RTD about the covering on the other platforms a month or so ago and it isn't coming.

They told me Amtrak was the only one getting ETFE so it would be more distinguishable from the other platforms, that no additional covering was being provided on the other platforms, and in cases of "rare" extreme inclement weather people could wait inside the station.

I still find that hard to believe, and am hoping they just misinterpreted my question, but it's what I was told. What I find hardest to believe is that they would build frames on the platform that look like they can support some short of shelter yet do not have a covering, it's like some sort of cruel joke. So if it is true hopefully they will come to their senses before 2016.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:31 PM
Robotic Construction

Original renderings showed it covered. Newest ones don't. Funding cuts, probably. It likely also means they can go back in the future and cover them, when they have funding.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 4:02 PM
of Gnomeregan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
Original renderings showed it covered. Newest ones don't. Funding cuts, probably. It likely also means they can go back in the future and cover them, when they have funding.
oooooh "funding cuts" That's not what I read when I read your post.. or what I thought about the people in charge when I first read they won't be covered.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 4:34 PM

In Ryan's photo, above, you can see a ton of little metal loops that hold the canvas cover in place. I don't see any loops on the platform structures. So, in order to cover them, they'd have to weld on a ton of loops and repaint.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 4:00 PM
Robotic Construction

Hmm, actually the older renderings don't show these structures at all.

If they did want to cover them in the future, they could probably just bolt the loops. That would be sufficiently strong and take fewer and cheaper man hours to perform.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
If they did want to cover them in the future, they could probably just bolt the loops. That would be sufficiently strong and take fewer and cheaper man hours to perform.
Bolting anything structural like this into a hollow steel tube is tricky....there are ways, but they are costly and hard to inspect. Welding would be much easier.

Bummer that they aren't going to canopy the entire platform area below those steel structures...just seems silly and wasteful in my mind to have them and not have any kind of covering. I guess you could go hang out at the Amtrak platform until your train arrives, but again, its all just compromises.
"The engineer is the key figure in the material progress of the world. It is his engineering that makes a reality of the potential value of science by translating scientific knowledge into tools, resources, energy and labor to bring them into the service of man. To make contributions of this kind the engineer requires the imagination to visualize the need of society and to appreciate what is possible as well as the technological and broad social age understanding to bring his vision to reality."

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 2:51 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

I have a hard time believing this is any sort of cost saving compromise measure, it's just not a big enough line item for that. No, I bet somebody somewhere made a conscious decision that uncovered platforms were the way to go.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 4:47 PM
BANNED

^ somebody who doesnt live in denver...they just dont realize that shade is more important than weather protection! (or at least equal)

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 6:44 PM

B-Cycle just announced they are going to be open all winter this year.

http://denver.bcycle.com/default.aspx

Although they are reducing hours for winter operations starting on December 2nd (6:30 am to 9:30 pm), it's welcome news nonetheless.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 7:36 PM
BANNED

they have hours on self-service bike rentals? not sure how that makes sense...see car2go for a killer, easy biz model.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 7:52 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Agreed. There's no need for operating hours. Have operating hours for the rebalancing vans, sure. No rebalancing between 10pm and 6 am, or whatever, fine. But let people use them.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2013, 11:59 PM

You know, the more I think about it, RTD really doesn't provide much coverage at any of their light rail stations. Maybe they thought they didn't need any at DUS either.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 12:06 AM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAM View Post
You know, the more I think about it, RTD really doesn't provide much coverage at any of their light rail stations. Maybe they thought they didn't need any at DUS either.
I don't know that we actually need the coverage. It's just the absurdity of building a multi-million dollar awesome train shed, and still have folks standing out in the elements in the middle of it. It's laughable. The kind of thing that becomes a "Denver: Are You Kidding Me?" internet meme. First snow storm, I lay you odds, the absurdity of a train shed without a roof is all over the internet as an example of how government can't get anything right.

Old Posted Sep 10, 2013, 12:07 AM

Could the wintertime hour restriction be due to the reduced sunlight the solar panels receive as the sun is lower in the sky?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West