HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 1:34 AM

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
When I personally see Wilmington, The Downtown area (and especially the Riverfront) feel safe to me. It's just that most of the crime and where I don't feel safe is when you cross the Christina River towards Vandever Avenue and east of I-95 towards Union Street (This is a lot like Chicago in the sense that when I went last summer, downtown and the whole park area (forgot what its called) feel safe and have less crime, it's just that there are some outskirt areas that are crime hotspots). Those general areas don't feel safe and are also where most (if not all) the crime happens, particular in the Vandever Avenue area. I think that if the city put some more focus on those areas, that could help lower crime rates more than just revitalizing downtown and Market Street (Not saying I don't appreciate what they did with Market Street, because I like what they are doing to give Wilmington more of an alive downtown. I think we just need to put more focus than we currently do in the crime hotspots).
As someone who lives in the nearby the area you suggested, I can say that the city IS putting in effort with these communities and I expect that to increase rapidly soon. Just to give a little insight on all that's going on;

On Vandever Ave, they've started building the four townhomes where Waltz used to stand, as they announced last year, last time I drove by they were padding the basements (not sure what the correct term is).

In addition to that, across the way on Governer Printz, they're prepping to knockdown that entire area of riverside (with the project looking rowhomes) and redevelop to be somewhat more like the houses across the way, like they did years ago. I think that's going to take a while though because it's all section 8, so they have to relocate everyone iirc.

On N Market, the Dollar General was built a little over year ago or so? And really cleaned up that area pretty nicely.

Around me, I've witnessed at least 3 different corner stores revamp their exteriors and interiors to be more in line with that of which you'd see in New York. In fact, one of them went from your typical run of the mill convenience store, to a full blown market with groceries and fresh produce.

I've also seen an abandoned building converted into a nice little salon.

In terms of housing revitalization, there is a LOT that you don't hear about or see. Just within a block or two of my house, there's about 6, if not more, houses undergoing revamps, and being converted to gas and ac to be more in line with modern demands.

Also right up the road from me, there's a community garden being built, which I'm certain won't see plants until the spring.

Jumping to the other side of town, around fourth street, you have the creative district in FULL force, gentrifying that area, and prepping for development to spill over from orange street.

Also on Lancaster Ave, a brand new fancy checkers just opened, and that eye sore of KFC and Taco Bell is being renovated to what seems to be their more modern design.

Also lets not forget the Flats Redevelopment, one of the biggest anchors to making Union Street a destination, along with those luxury apartments being built on the corner.

Regarding Union Street, they also did just put in bike lanes, and reduce the speed, as well as the lanes to two and allow reverse in parking. And I believe 10th street received some bike lanes as well.

And that's just a handful of things going on outside of downtown, and even outside of city limits, like that one post I believe TCO posted about a New Castle Apartment project, and that was completely out of the blue and random. So there is definitely interest sparking in Wilmington, and it's only a matter of time until you're getting hit with new projects every week, perhaps we'll get our own thread again haha.

Police presence is also WAYYYYYYY up that what is ever was with Williams.

Last sidenote, southside, which is definitely by far the most blighted of the neighborhoods, is being flattened and gentrified as South Wilmington, so there's that.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 5:32 PM
Me?!?

NORRISTOWN >> Federal, state and local officials broke ground Thursday on the third phase of the Lafayette Street extension project, considered the largest local infrastructure project in the Pennsylvania.

Phase 3 will reconstruct Lafayette Street between Barbadoes and Ford streets, widen the street and sidewalk, relocate part of the Schuylkill River Trail, and create a new trail hub in Norristown. It will also will beautify the existing Lafayette Street and widen it to make a welcoming boulevard for traffic coming from a new turnpike interchange and make the Schuylkill River Trail more accessible to the public, as well as connecting it to the popular Chester Valley Trail.

The groundbreaking ceremony took place at Lafayette and Ford streets.

“We are very pleased to take another step forward on the Lafayette Street extension project that showcases what is possible with smart, forward-looking investments in our infrastructure,” Val Arkoosh, chairwoman of the Montgomery County commissioners, said in a press release.“This project will create safer and more efficient commutes for those who live or work in Norristown and encourage more people to visit our county seat for shopping and recreation.”

Officials expect the $90 million project to help revitalize Norristown; relieve traffic congestion along Main Street, Ridge Pike and Conshohocken Road; and improve access to government facilities. The Federal Highway Administration is funding 80 percent of the total project, while Montgomery County will fund the remaining 20 percent, or $18 million.

“The Lafayette Street extension project has been a collaborative effort between the county, Federal Highway Administration, and PennDOT, with the county investing $18 million in the total project – not to mention the countless hours of staff time, which will positively affect the surrounding community by directly connecting our county seat to the turnpike network,” Ken Lawrence Jr., vice chairman of the county board of commissioners, said in the release.

http://www.timesherald.com/general-n...e-3-norristown

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideHBG View Post
NORRISTOWN >> Federal, state and local officials broke ground Thursday on the third phase of the Lafayette Street extension project, considered the largest local infrastructure project in the Pennsylvania.
Very pleased with this project. This will make it much easier for people to get in and out of Norristown, especially the transportation center. I also like that it makes the SRT more accessible via downtown and they are looking at putting a cafe of sorts right off the trail leading downtown (foreground, third picture).

Last edited by Urbanthusiat; Dec 9, 2017 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 8:57 PM

Sonoco paper mill in Downingtown [...] is getting a transformation

Quote:
[...]

Today, the Brandywine Station project is being billed as a “new gateway to Downingtown,” officials said, with a future transit-oriented complex expected to include 442 residential apartments anchored by stores and restaurants, which will comprise more than 14,000 square feet of retail space.

Last month, the Downingtown Borough Council gave the Hankin Group, an Exton-based developer, the green light to begin demolition on the 68-acre property.

They are expected to spend about $150 million on the redevelopment, according to planning documents, a figure that would mark the largest private investment in Downingtown’s history, Maxwell said.

Along with apartments and retail, the complex is also set to include a pedestrian bridge over the Brandywine River, a proposed connection to the Chester Valley Trail, and a new SEPTA/Amtrak station, officials said.

“This was a site location selected in a previous planning study. We are working through the planning process for a new train station here,” PennDot said in a statement. “We are encouraged by the interest from developers about the area around the station.”
Site: https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0024...7i13312!8i6656

More: http://www.philly.com/philly/news/pe...-20171208.html

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanthusiat View Post
Very pleased with this project. This will make it much easier for people to get in and out of Norristown, especially the transportation center. I also like that it makes the SRT more accessible via downtown and they are looking at putting a cafe of sorts right off the trail leading downtown (foreground, third picture).
That part of Lafayette Street is probably one of the more run down looking streets in Norristown. This is a welcomed change!

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 10:09 PM
Me?!?

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
That part of Lafayette Street is probably one of the more run down looking streets in Norristown. This is a welcomed change!
It is an exciting project and should do wonders for that section. I drive it often and it is pretty rundown and can be a mess on some days, as more people are using it to cut through to avoid some of the traffic backup.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
I'm really hoping that Hard Rock can find a way to help Atlantic City. AC definitely won't be the gambling destination it used to be, so if Hard Rock could give people a different reason to come, that would be a more than welcome development. Do we know anything about Stockton's move to AC?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 2:29 PM

Drove through Norristown the other day, pretty busy overall btwn rehabs and street work. Saw them putting new piping in along an empty lot looked primed for housing right downtown. Just a lot of people out for a Wednesday afternoon in December

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Saturn64 View Post
I'm really hoping that Hard Rock can find a way to help Atlantic City. AC definitely won't be the gambling destination it used to be, so if Hard Rock could give people a different reason to come, that would be a more than welcome development. Do we know anything about Stockton's move to AC?
I was in Atlantic City last weekend or the weekend before. It will be awhile before construction is completed, but the Stockton project looks fairly massive. I definitely think moving the school there is going to help AC.

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 9:14 PM
Me?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontst17 View Post
Drove through Norristown the other day, pretty busy overall btwn rehabs and street work. Saw them putting new piping in along an empty lot looked primed for housing right downtown. Just a lot of people out for a Wednesday afternoon in December
The lot behind the courthouse?

Old Posted Dec 10, 2017, 11:32 PM

About Theo blocks from the courthouse yeah

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Very pleased with this project. This will make it much easier for people to get in and out of Norristown, especially the transportation center. I also like that it makes the SRT more accessible...
Looks great except for the widening of Lafayette. That will negate many of the other (terrific) elements of this plan that aim to make the SRT more accessible and revitalize this stretch of Norristown. You are correct to say it will make it easier for people to get in and out - unfortunately that will come at the expense of the properties along this stretch.

EastsideHBG notes that people use it as a cut-through to avoid traffic elsewhere. That will surely increase after this project. I just wish more officials understood that and designed projects with goals other than maximizing traffic flow as the top priority.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
Looks great except for the widening of Lafayette. That will negate many of the other (terrific) elements of this plan that aim to make the SRT more accessible and revitalize this stretch of Norristown. You are correct to say it will make it easier for people to get in and out - unfortunately that will come at the expense of the properties along this stretch.

EastsideHBG notes that people use it as a cut-through to avoid traffic elsewhere. That will surely increase after this project. I just wish more officials understood that and designed projects with goals other than maximizing traffic flow as the top priority.
I don't understand any of this. That stretch of road is very run down. The actual road itself is godawful. Any sort of rehab and attention will be a welcomed change. Any property owners on this stretch probably have a lot more to be concerned about regarding value then this road.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2017, 2:31 PM

Quote:

The widening of Lafayette was inevitable considering they already built an expanded 4 lane road from Ford Rd. to Conshohocken Rd. that is not yet used.

From a trail user perspective, I would have liked the Ford Rd. train crossing eliminated. Washington is used as a cut through and cars don't always realize there is a trail crossing immediately after the train crossing. And the vegetation provides little visibility.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 1:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottydont View Post
I don't understand any of this. That stretch of road is very run down. The actual road itself is godawful. Any sort of rehab and attention will be a welcomed change. Any property owners on this stretch probably have a lot more to be concerned about regarding value then this road.
I agree it's currently run down and in need of investment, but rebuilding the street surface and streetscape can happen (and should have happened) without the widening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
The widening of Lafayette was inevitable considering they already built an expanded 4 lane road from Ford Rd. to Conshohocken Rd. that is not yet used.

From a trail user perspective, I would have liked the Ford Rd. train crossing eliminated. Washington is used as a cut through and cars don't always realize there is a trail crossing immediately after the train crossing. And the vegetation provides little visibility.
Nothing is inevitible, and just because the street was already widened elsewhere, doesn't mean they should also widen it as it runs along the spine of downtown Norristown. Not a good move & sad to see.

This is not a unique criticism of Norristown, by the way. Many cities are short-sighted about this and repeat the same mistake over and over again.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 1:26 AM

Wilmington: Stitch House Brewery

New windows installed on the rear of Stitch House (Shipley Street side). Peeking through the windows on Market, this looks to be getting close. Can't wait.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 5:11 PM

Wilmington Struggles to live up to its history of a Corporation Hub

Quote:
Wilmington's past as a corporation hub may be strangling its future as a startup capital.

The city's revitalization plan is centered on luring technology startups into downtown office buildings, where they would grow and create jobs. Officials hope these businesses attract millennial workers who have disposable income and choose to live downtown.

Startups pride themselves on efficiency. They want less office space than their large corporate predecessors. CEOs of startups typically work alongside employees rather than hide in ornate offices.

But several downtown Wilmington office buildings were designed to serve as single-tenant corporate headquarters. Those properties — including the Hercules, DuPont, Brandywine and Bank of America buildings — have massive floor plans and long distances between offices to central services like elevators, fire stairs and restrooms.
Read More Here - http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...wth/590813001/

Old Posted Dec 12, 2017, 7:22 PM

Quote:
I agree it's currently run down and in need of investment, but rebuilding the street surface and streetscape can happen (and should have happened) without the widening.

Nothing is inevitible, and just because the street was already widened elsewhere, doesn't mean they should also widen it as it runs along the spine of downtown Norristown. Not a good move & sad to see.

This is not a unique criticism of Norristown, by the way. Many cities are short-sighted about this and repeat the same mistake over and over again.
By inevitable, I meant that the widening of Lafayette was always part of the plan going back years since it was initially drawn out. PennDot and the Turnpike have the plan to make Lafayette more or less the parkway into Norristown from the new Interchange, while Ridge will become the local/business route.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Not trying to be mean, but this kind of doesn't really have anything to do with my point. My point is that all other Philly Metro cities are receiving amazing development and what are we getting in Wilmington, ugly apartments, wasting space and filling a demand that isn't there. Same goes for retail. I will admit that I do expect more out of Wilmington than I probably should, but what does logically aggravate me is when I see a city with an amazing skyline that has a shrinking population (Like seriously, how does Wilmington have this skyline and look like a big city and yet, Camden, Reading, Trenton, etc have larger populations and their skylines are puny?), and what also annoys me is when I see potential downtown space being wasted with stupid, ugly, low rise apartment crap that we don't need instead of something beneficial to the city. And for everyone who thinks this is a great time for the city, crime numbers are increasing, offices are leaving, vacant buildings (Hercules Building) are present, and a decrease in population has been occurring. Ok, I do get that we need to revitalize areas to make downtown more attractable, and what they have done with Market Street is great, but just wasting lots and beautiful office buildings with ugly, low rise apartments is just too much to bear! I'm not saying don't add livable space, but maybe instead of wasting tons of downtown lots with low rise, ugly buildings, maybe design some cooler looking low rise condos and develop some cool mixed-use skyscrapers.

Look, I really want Wilmington to succeed, and to prove it, I wrote like a 5-6 paragraph essay that took like an hour of my time to write to the DRBA with advice to help bring commercial air service here and boost business at Wilmington Airport (Because that is another thing I've always wanted from Wilmington because I hate Philly's airport). It just pains me to see potential lots wasted.
For those of you that think I don't know what I'm talking about when I say that Wilmington's reputation has gone way downhill, check out these countless sources and their articles:

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...ters/20755107/

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...loan/87675048/

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...wth/590813001/

http://www.delcotimes.com/article/DC...NEWS/170909687

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...are/361331001/

^All of this mess is what Wilmington has been going through recently, And this is what I'm talking about why I'm absolutely frustrated with. Especially when I see, "...Lets focus on nothing but apartments, that sure will fix this". Well is Wilmington getting better? No! Yes I would love to see skyscrapers and other things I've mentioned, but my point is more importantly that Wilmington is hurt and getting worse in categories that matter a lot more than apartments. And I feel like nobody on this forum realizes that.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations