HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 3:54 PM

Can someone please post the text for the 3 related Amazon articles on ABC today? The paywall is killing me.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Amazon picks Atlanta for 'regional tech hub'

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...-tech-hub.html

To most this may be encouraging news, but the conservative side of me says that Amazon is doing this in part as a logistical tactic but also as a consolation prize to Atlanta for already having strong intentions to locate their 2nd headquarters elsewhere.

Would Amazon locate their second headquarters in a town where they already have an ever-growing presence? Also, would they rather be the “Big fish in a little pond” in a smaller city where they could "rule the roost" or in a larger city where they have to compete with other corporate giants like Delta, UPS, Home Depot, Coca-Cola, etc.?

I don't think this necessarily puts Atlanta out of the running. Any city that has a lot of what Amazon wants as stated in the RFP and puts forth a strong bid still has a shot. I think this news does, however, signal that Atlanta isn't Amazon's #1 candidate.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
however, signal that Atlanta isn't Amazon's #1 candidate.
Why? The article indicated Amazon will be opening several (10+) of these "Tech Hubs" throughout the US. Your logic would mean the other 9+ cities are out of the running as well. There is nothing about the jobs Amazon announced today in my mind would impact their decision on whether to locate HQ2 in Atlanta.

FYI - Last week Amazon announced a similar project in Austin.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta3000 View Post
Why? The article indicated Amazon will be opening several (10+) of these "Tech Hubs" throughout the US. Your logic would mean the other 9+ cities are out of the running as well. There is nothing about the jobs Amazon announced today in my mind would impact their decision on whether to locate HQ2 in Atlanta.

FYI - Last week Amazon announced a similar project in Austin.
I didn't say we're out of the running.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:44 PM
BANNED

Interesting article from Dallas Business Journal today:

Amazon HQ2 search: Dallas blows Austin away on this metric
Shawn Shinneman
By Staff Writer, Dallas Business Journal

Oct 11, 2017, 1:24pm CDT

On par with the rest of the country, North Texans have heard the alarm horns sounding on the technology talent gap for a couple of years now. As more and more jobs continue to be automated, workforces in Dallas-Fort Worth and elsewhere will have to adjust.

But when it comes to landing Amazon’s second headquarters, the metrics associated with the talent gap could actually be on DFW’s side. DFW’s tech labor pool has grown by 33 percent in the last five years, and studies suggest that the region isn’t having trouble holding onto home-grown talent or attracting tech workers from out of town.

Dallas-Fort Worth is home to about 161,000 tech workers, including 49,000 software developers and programmers, according to CBRE’s 2017 Tech Talentreport.

A non-comprehensive list of HQ2 contenders might include Atlanta (122,810 tech workers), Austin (68,810), Boston (115,560), Denver (77,310), and Washington D.C. (243,360), in addition to DFW. Of those, only Washington D.C. boasts a larger tech workforce, but the nation’s capital is also the slowest growing hub on the list. It lost 2 percent of its software developers last year.

From a talent perspective, high-tech Austin appears an underdog. Even with a well-earned reputation as a tech hub, the state capital appears to lack the tech population to stand up a company of Amazon’s size. The everything-seller is as much a logistics company as anything, but it’s built on technology; HQ2 will be loaded with software developers and programmers.

Amazon will have to lean on transplants no matter where it settles, however, and most of DFW’s assumed competitors perform better when it comes to attracting millennials. From 2010 to 2015, Atlanta grew its millennial population by 9.3 percent, Denver by 7 percent, Washington D.C. by 5.9 percent and Austin by 5.5 percent. Dallas grew by 3.8 percent while Boston grew by 0.8 percent, according to CBRE.

Interestingly, Seattle, home to Amazon’s HQ1, grew its millennial population considerably faster than any other market with at least 50,000 tech workers. The Pacific Northwest hub grew by 16.6 percent among the population.

In fact, the region ranks second in the U.S. when it comes to technology “brain gain,” a measure of the number of overall workers added to the tech labor force minus the number of graduates added to the tech labor force. In other words, brain gain grasps how many tech workers a region gains beyond the ones it grows organically. With 40,310 tech jobs added over the last five years compared to 17,750 tech degrees, DFW’s brain gain of 22,560 is bested only by San Fransisco.

A look at LinkedIn’s September workforce report shows that Dallas is strong when it comes to providing the talent needed to fill the open jobs of the area, as well. Although the report doesn’t focus specifically on tech-related skills, LinkedIn’s research shows that Dallas has a skills gap of .42.

That number is a percentage based on how cities stack up to San Francisco — DFW’s gap is equal to 42 percent of San Fransisco’s. Washington D.C. at .76 and Austin at .61 rank second and third on LinkedIn's list behind San Fransisco.

In a world in which every research group under the son has produced talent-related metrics — some of them contradicting each other — its difficult to know exactly which ones Amazon will trust. However, the Metroplex stacks up well by several measures, and it’s hard to envision a scenario in which the availability of tech talent counts as a checkmark against Amazon joining North Texas’ business community.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post

To most this may be encouraging news, but the conservative side of me says that Amazon is doing this in part as a logistical tactic but also as a consolation prize to Atlanta for already having strong intentions to locate their 2nd headquarters elsewhere.

'Consolation prize' suggests Amazon has already made their decision,, before cities have even fully submitted bids. I think Amazon will want to get these tech hubs going as fast as possible. It will give them a good idea over the next year about recruiting and salaries in their top cities and be able to help them cost a ramped up presence in that city.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 2:35 AM
Closed account

National site selection expert: 'Atlanta checks all the boxes' for Amazon's HQ2

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...hecks-all.html

Quote:
An Arizona-based national real estate dealmaker and site selection expert expects Amazon.com Inc. (Nasdaq: AMZN) to take a long, hard look at Atlanta in its search for a new $5 billion, 50,000-employee second headquarters.

The real estate deal maker — who asked not to be identified — said Atlanta might already be under serious consideration for the project dubbed Amazon HQ2.

“Atlanta checks all the boxes,” the executive said referring to Amazon’s wish list for the site selection.

Those include a large international airport, labor pool and mass transit.
Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport is the busiest airport in the world.

Atlanta offers time zone diversity and overlap from Amazon’s Seattle home base. It could also help a potential Amazon logistics and delivery push against Atlanta-based United Parcel Service (NYSE: UPS) and Memphis-based FedEx (NYSE: FDX)...

...But being in the West and having time zone proximity could hurt bids from Phoenix, Denver, Salt Lake City and San Diego, according to another national site selection expert who has previously worked with Amazon.

That expert could also see Amazon looking hard at Atlanta as well as Dallas if it is looking for operational overlap with Seattle but with lower costs than more expensive big cities such as New York, Washington D.C., Chicago and Boston.

That same expert — who also asked not to be identified — said Nashville and North Carolina could also be in the mix if Amazon looks to think outside the box...

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 12:51 PM
BANNED

Moody's Analytics - Atlanta Ranked #2???

Not sure why we ranked #2 when we clearly tied with Austin #1. With that said, I have to believe Amazon would pick Atlanta over Austin given our size and infrastructure.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:17 PM
Closed account

The more I think about it, the more I believe HQ2 is Atlanta's to lose.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:17 PM

Amazon bid kicks off another Olympics-like chase for Atlanta (AJC possible paywall)

Quote:
It inked airtight nondisclosure agreements with top state recruiters and several prominent real estate developers weeks ago, giving rise to more talk that Atlanta seems poised to compete.
Seems like this is a good sign for Atlanta. Do you ordinarily do an NDA before bids are even submitted or evaluated?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:22 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Amazon bid kicks off another Olympics-like chase for Atlanta (AJC possible paywall)

Seems like this is a good sign for Atlanta. Do you ordinarily do an NDA before bids are even submitted or evaluated?
That makes me think of the Selig development that's courting the "mystery company" for 600,000 sq. ft. in space.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Moody's Analytics - Atlanta Ranked #2???

Not sure why we ranked #2 when we clearly tied with Austin #1. With that said, I have to believe Amazon would pick Atlanta over Austin given our size and infrastructure.

interesting. can you link your post(s) to the original source?

i suspect some might like to see their ranking methodology.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:25 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl2phx View Post
interesting. can you link your post(s) to the original source?

i suspect some might like to see their ranking methodology.
https://www.economy.com/dismal/analy...ns-Top-Cities/

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 2:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:

To my knowledge (via internet search), no other city is reporting Amazon signed an NDA with their State Development groups or Developers. This is a very good sign and extremely positive nod Atlanta is leading this race.

With that said, Amazon has at least 50 cities in North America spinning the wheels of thousands of people's time, energy and money to respond to their RFP. If it is found out Amazon had already approached a favorite city in advance, I suspect Amazon will be significantly penalized on future economic incentives from the losing cites for distribution centers. I really do not understand their rational on the way they are handling their selection process.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:06 PM
Back on the road again

Atlanta receiving the lowest transportation score among all the contenders on that list is absurd given the fact that we actually DO have heavy rail mass transit and a fairly robust bus system, and the busiest airport in the world. Saying transportation is better in every other city listed is crazy.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:18 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
Atlanta receiving the lowest transportation score among all the contenders on that list is absurd given the fact that we actually DO have heavy rail mass transit and a fairly robust bus system, and the busiest airport in the world. Saying transportation is better in every other city listed is crazy.
I agree - any of the largest 15 metros in the US have major transportation issues (road, mass transit and airports). This problem is not exclusive to Atlanta.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Yes, this would be normal procedure. NDA comes before you even receive the RFP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyscraperpage17 View Post
That makes me think of the Selig development that's courting the "mystery company" for 600,000 sq. ft. in space.
Amazon has expressed interest in multiple buildings, and there isn't space there for the kind of space they want.

Quote:
To my knowledge (via internet search), no other city is reporting Amazon signed an NDA with their State Development groups or Developers. This is a very good sign and extremely positive nod Atlanta is leading this race.
Most NDAs make it a violation of the NDA to say you signed an NDA.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 4:56 PM
Development Spectator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
NDA comes before you even receive the RFP.
That's clearly not the case for this RFP.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 7:14 PM

Quote:
I agree - any of the largest 15 metros in the US have major transportation issues (road, mass transit and airports). This problem is not exclusive to Atlanta.
I'm guessing they used some over simplified metric like 'the percentage of metro Atlanta residents who commute to work on mass transit'. Seems like we were hitting in the 1% range for our entire metro, if I recall. If that metric was used, even though our transit system may be superior to the likes of Austin or Rochester, the fact we have a much larger population hurts us on that particular metric. Hopefully Amazon's methodologies are more advanced that the reporter who wrote this piece created in his 8 hours or less of fact finding.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
All of these different list/articles are somewhat absurd period. It’s almost as if writers just make something interesting or entertaining to read. The validity of these rankings are simply far fetched at best. Atlanta has one of the busiest airports in the country. But we rarely ever have great surveys about customer experience.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta