HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:20 PM

I agree, the NDP has come across like a bunch of inexperienced idiots, but I voted for them because the PC and Wildrose come across the same way.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:43 PM
Develop This!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarsus View Post
I voted for them.
...you're the first person I've run across to admit this...I salute you, not for your choice, but for your honesty...

Old Posted Nov 23, 2016, 6:47 PM

I wish I could have a do-over.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 1:07 AM

Quote:
I wish I could have a do-over.
A little over 2 more years and you do essentially get a do-over. Beauty of a democracy.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 1:29 AM
That's what she said

Quote:
I agree, the NDP has come across like a bunch of inexperienced idiots, but I voted for them because the PC and Wildrose come across the same way.
I voted for them too, mostly as a protest vote against the PCs. We're all screwed. In a couple of years we can get rid of the NDP, an experiment that has been a disaster, but Jason Kenney or Brian Jean?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 1:29 AM
That's what she said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
A little over 2 more years and you do essentially get a do-over. Beauty of a democracy.
When is the next election?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 2:26 AM

May 31 2019 at the latest so long as democracy is followed. Could be called earlier.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 2:32 AM

I keep hearing what a disaster the NDP is, but honestly to me, they seem to me to have done a decent job. Nothing scandalous, no really offensive policies. Looking like pipes are going to go ahead and environmental policies are local rather than dictated by the Feds (see Saskatchewan). Apart from their inability to increase the global oil price, I don't see much evidence of a fail.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 2:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPAR View Post
I keep hearing what a disaster the NDP is, but honestly to me, they seem to me to have done a decent job. Nothing scandalous, no really offensive policies. Looking like pipes are going to go ahead and environmental policies are local rather than dictated by the Feds (see Saskatchewan). Apart from their inability to increase the global oil price, I don't see much evidence of a fail.
You obviously haven't been paying attention to their idiotic interference in what was a well functioning electricity generation and transmission market in the province.

Not to mention the royalty review that changed nothing but resulted in an entire year's worth of capital expense evaporating from from the province.

Oh, and jacking corporate tax rates by 20% in the midst of a recession to drive even more investment away from the province.

It's terrible, but not surprising to anyone who actually read the NDP platform document before the election. You can't expect brilliance from people who's financial education might amount to having read Corporate Finance For Dummies, but I would have hoped the NDP would have moderated some positions in the hope of winning a second term.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:05 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Especially after the disaster the prior provincial and federal governments were - got nothing done for Alberta.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 6:11 AM
Go Tall or Go Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
You obviously haven't been paying attention to their idiotic interference in what was a well functioning electricity generation and transmission market in the province.

Not to mention the royalty review that changed nothing but resulted in an entire year's worth of capital expense evaporating from from the province.

Oh, and jacking corporate tax rates by 20% in the midst of a recession to drive even more investment away from the province.

It's terrible, but not surprising to anyone who actually read the NDP platform document before the election. You can't expect brilliance from people who's financial education might amount to having read Corporate Finance For Dummies, but I would have hoped the NDP would have moderated some positions in the hope of winning a second term.
^Exactly.
And don't forget the carbon tax about to come into effect.

If you like more money coming out of your pocket going to the Provincial Government then the NDP has been a tremendous success.

The next election can't come soon enough.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 7:21 AM

Yikes, didn't realize there was so much anti ndp sentiment here on the calgary boards. I think they are doing a decent job. Rachel Notley is probably the best premier we have had since Peter Lougheed.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 3:03 PM

[del]

Last edited by MalcolmTucker; Aug 29, 2017 at 4:53 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:12 PM

Quote:
They're timing is all wrong. They are sticking heavily to their ideology and paying attention to what's happening out there. Not surprising since most of their members are from the inexperienced Twitter/Facebook crowd. Their mentality is bureaucratic all the way through, wanting to spend money to diversify the economy. Sounds good on paper, but in the end it will only be spent money gone nowhere except to a bunch of bureaucrats in Edmonton.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
Yikes, didn't realize there was so much anti ndp sentiment here on the calgary boards. I think they are doing a decent job. Rachel Notley is probably the best premier we have had since Peter Lougheed.
Notley herself hasn't been bad, but like I say the party as a whole is wrong for Alberta right now. They won't last through next election, I know lots of people who voted NDP and can't wait to vote them out. They're on borrowed time.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 4:56 PM

It'll never be a good time to do the right thing. Wasn't the biggest NDP fan, but props to them for sticking to their guns given the shitty cards they were dealt by factors far outside their control

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 5:04 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
It'll never be a good time to do the right thing. Wasn't the biggest NDP fan, but props to them for sticking to their guns given the shitty cards they were dealt by factors far outside their control

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Sticking to their guns is why I won't vote for them next time. They could implement their plans gradually while taking into account the economic situation. They don't need to change the world in 4 years, something so typical of left wing idealists. I would never vote for NDP normally but did in the last election only as a protest vote against the PCs and Wildrose. Next election, I won't be voting for them.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 6:05 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Build It View Post
Sticking to their guns is why I won't vote for them next time. They could implement their plans gradually while taking into account the economic situation. They don't need to change the world in 4 years, something so typical of left wing idealists. I would never vote for NDP normally but did in the last election only as a protest vote against the PCs and Wildrose. Next election, I won't be voting for them.
I would say that it's more a case of typical of a party that only expects to be in power for 4 years.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2016, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Longtime lurker here.

Agree, but there is still an economy to manage, and longterm debt to consider. They need to pay more attention to those shitty cards they've been dealt, and not solely on their mandate or they won't get elected again. At least their better than the federal NDP with that ridiculous Leap Manifesto.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia