HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by polishavenger View Post
I agree that taggers should be treated very harshly, perhaps broken hands might make them think twice. Its the nerve of damaging other peoples property that really gets to me. If you want to spray paint something, do it to your own stuff.

On a more project specific note, is it just me, or is this the never ending project. I swear that its being going on for nearly two years now with no end in sight.
i think the site along the river's edge has been challenging, not only due to the multiple levels of bureaucracy that need to be navigated (due to proximity to the river)...but also the geometries of the steel involved...and the instability of the soil/organics there...

no question, its been taking a long time however.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 5:23 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

With the state of technology now I'd like to see tiny hidden cameras pointed at sites like this to deal with taggers.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2011, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
With the state of technology now I'd like to see tiny hidden cameras pointed at sites like this to deal with taggers.
I'd prefer marauding gangs of vigilantes with baseball bats. They can take care of the problem on the spot if the need arises.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 2:14 PM

The rust is a horrible choice. The new memorial looks like it's been neglected and forgotten about. I think we owe those who made the ultimate sacrifice a bit more respect and not worry about on going maintenance costs.

Saying it's to prevent tagging sounds like another bullshit story coming from the powers that be. I don't think taggers have gotten that bad yet. Not only would I be surprised if a tagger hit a war memorial, there are coatings that can be applied that ease in the removal of said tags.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
The rust is a horrible choice. The new memorial looks like it's been neglected and forgotten about. I think we owe those who made the ultimate sacrifice a bit more respect and not worry about on going maintenance costs.

Saying it's to prevent tagging sounds like another bullshit story coming from the powers that be. I don't think taggers have gotten that bad yet. Not only would I be surprised if a tagger hit a war memorial, there are coatings that can be applied that ease in the removal of said tags.
all subjective really - what would have you chosen for a wall surface that runs 300-400 meters? Maintenance plays a huge role in any city project, and while suggesting the city "damn the costs, its for our veterans dammit" is nice in theory, i'd bet that most people would say the opposite and that this memorial isn't even needed.

I think the rusting brings a kind of solemn tone imo and I like it.

Old Posted Jul 23, 2011, 10:38 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
I think you and I may be in the minority here, but I guarantee you that's the reaction you'll see from the general public too. I was rather taken aback that this is the final surface. From the river it literally looks like rusted scrap metal, or a half-way completed and abandoned construction project. Basically exactly like the pictures of the Bow from when it was literally a dump.

To me this is a little like taking Piss Christ (in itself a wonderful work of art) and using it to advertise your church. Wrong place, wrong symbolism.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2011, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
all subjective really - what would have you chosen for a wall surface that runs 300-400 meters? Maintenance plays a huge role in any city project, and while suggesting the city "damn the costs, its for our veterans dammit" is nice in theory, i'd bet that most people would say the opposite and that this memorial isn't even needed.

I think the rusting brings a kind of solemn tone imo and I like it.
Well I haven't given it much thought up to now, but if given the task, I think I could come up with a better material than rusty iron.

I also think that maintenance costs is just more BS being passed on to the public from the City much like the Peace Bridge being a tribute to Canada's Peace keepers.

In general I like the look of the project, but think the rust is a poor choice for a war memorial. When I think of rust, I think of neglect and disrepair. Of something forgotten.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 6:16 AM

Quote:
Well I haven't given it much thought up to now, but if given the task, I think I could come up with a better material than rusty iron.

I also think that maintenance costs is just more BS being passed on to the public from the City much like the Peace Bridge being a tribute to Canada's Peace keepers.

In general I like the look of the project, but think the rust is a poor choice for a war memorial. When I think of rust, I think of neglect and disrepair. Of something forgotten.

Fair enough - like any art, there is definitely some subjectivity involved... we'll see what the Sun says about it (though I can probably guess)...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 6:58 AM

From what I could see today through the fence, it appears there may be lighting behind the panels. Could create an interesting effect with the words lit up at night.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 1:13 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
From what I could see today through the fence, it appears there may be lighting behind the panels. Could create an interesting effect with the words lit up at night.
If lit well that could be a very nice feature.

I think the rust will provide a very nice contrast year round with the colours in our city. I think it could look absolutely striking during the winter contrasted to the white of the snow, and right now in the summer surrounded by green it adds yet another contrast. Like something from the past that serves to remind us of the deeds done then.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 2:55 PM

I havent really looked to closely at it, but I like the way the rust color looks.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 3:07 PM

I really like the rust look, especially for a memorial. I'm actually really impressed with the work the city has been doing all along the river, even if it is a never ending project. This should be a good social gathering place right across from Kensington. I have a feeling it will be well used.

I look forward to seeing how the city changes the south side of the river where BowTrail goes now.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 7:02 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I think the rust will provide a very nice contrast year round with the colours in our city. I think it could look absolutely striking during the winter contrasted to the white of the snow, and right now in the summer surrounded by green it adds yet another contrast. Like something from the past that serves to remind us of the deeds done then.
Except for the many many months of brown in this city (ie: most of them)... I agree with you.

Most of my years here have seen 2-3 months of green, tops. And maybe 3 weeks in the winter with any serious amount of snow sticking around.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 7:11 PM
Here and There

The rust is perfect.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 7:13 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
Except for the many many months of brown in this city (ie: most of them)... I agree with you.
I was waiting for someone to say that. I still like the rust.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
there will be lighting so that the quotes are backlit at night...I heard they are going to run a test of the lighting of the wall on the east side something in the next week or so...

Old Posted Jul 25, 2011, 11:10 PM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post

Most of my years here have seen 2-3 months of green, tops. And maybe 3 weeks in the winter with any serious amount of snow sticking around.
I am brown all months of the year

filler

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 12:00 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innersoul1 View Post
I am brown all months of the year

filler
It's too bad you only walk around town during spring and fall.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 3:36 AM

Like the design, don't like the rust. As others have already pointed out, Calgary is already too brown. I'd also add that rusted metal is completely out of context in Calgary as it never really had an industrial past. This would lave looked so much better as brushed aluminium or stainless steel.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 4:02 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Like the design, don't like the rust. As others have already pointed out, Calgary is already too brown. I'd also add that rusted metal is completely out of context in Calgary as it never really had an industrial past. This would lave looked so much better as brushed aluminium or stainless steel.
I think this is something that bugged me unconsciously, thanks for articulating it. I had a vague thought of "looks like it came from Pittsburgh" in my head but no idea where it originated.

Out of context. That's exactly where my thoughts are on this. I don't have an issue per se, but it just doesn't "fit". Then again, art is more fun when it's a bit jarring...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Buildings & Architecture, Urban Design & Heritage Issues