HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:14 PM
BANNED

Is this a supertall to roof or not?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
Is this a supertall to roof or not?
It reaches 1,070 feet by spire. The top part is empty.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Excuse the dumb question in advance, but what's the office market like in SF? Are there any big tenants looking for new space? If this question has been answered already, I apologize.
No one really knows exactly. The article says yes so I am assuming yes.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeesfan1000 View Post
Excuse the dumb question in advance, but what's the office market like in SF? Are there any big tenants looking for new space? If this question has been answered already, I apologize.
I don't know about big tenants, but here are two reports showing leasing activity accelerating during 2011 and the first two months of this year:

Quote:
Sansome Street Advisors - SF Market Report, Q4 2011

After two years of stagnant rental rates and high vacancy, the San Francisco office market turned the corner in early 2011 and has continued to strengthen ever since. Technology companies remain the leader for both Bay Area job growth and office space absorption, helping San Francisco to log 1.7 million square feet of positive office absorption by year’s end. The surge in demand for office space helped push rents upward by more than 20% in 2011 and decrease vacancy from 17.4% to 13.3%.
Quote:
Tech run devours San Francisco office space
San Francisco Business Times, March 2, 2012

Technology leases totaling nearly 1.13 million square feet have been agreed to since Jan. 1 as companies like Macys.com, Yammer, Airbnb and Amazon eat up San Francisco office space at a blazing clip not seen since the dot-com boom 12 years ago. The leasing activity, which could reach 1.5 million square feet in the first quarter of 2012, is reviving a handful of large South of Market buildings that were left for dead just two or three years ago.
I'm guessing Hines trimmed the Transbay Tower's height to make the financials pencil out better, so construction can start sooner. Hopefully they don't trim it any further.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 7:57 PM

Salesforce is now looking for that much sqft after saying that they are moving from Mission Bay to DT.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 8:00 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Am I seeing things (more correctly, not seeing things) or is the funicular and covered entrance to the park now gone in this rendering:

The office market in SF has been heating up lately, especially in SOMA. The lack of available space in SOMA seems to be driving more demand in the traditional FiDi part of town. It looks like Hines is hoping to take advantage of this.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 8:53 PM

You have to understand that this project is massive. It's comparable to the Hudson Yards or the World Trade Center in NYC on the East Coast. I wouldn't mind having the Transbay redevelopment plan renamed the World Trade Center either since San Francisco doesn't have one.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 9:50 PM

Thanks for the responses. Hopefully Hines can land some tenants and we won't have to wait too long to see this rise.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 9:50 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
It reaches 1,070 feet by spire. The top part is empty.
it's not a spire it's a crown, the roof looks to be about 900 feet. The building will still look (be) 1070 feet from a distance though

Last edited by Zapatan; Mar 12, 2012 at 11:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:52 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadcruiser1 View Post
You have to understand that this project is massive. It's comparable to the Hudson Yards or the World Trade Center in NYC on the East Coast. I wouldn't mind having the Transbay redevelopment plan renamed the World Trade Center either since San Francisco doesn't have one.
That's cool... How many other towers are planned with this?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Am I seeing things (more correctly, not seeing things) or is the funicular and covered entrance to the park now gone in this rendering:

The office market in SF has been heating up lately, especially in SOMA. The lack of available space in SOMA seems to be driving more demand in the traditional FiDi part of town. It looks like Hines is hoping to take advantage of this.
Yes, I'm pretty sure I read an article a ways back that said the funicular had been axed. Though, I just did a quick search and couldn't find anything about its demise.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 10:59 PM

What a crock.

Negotiations have resumed between the two sides, although it is unlikely that the land price would reach the $350 million offered by Hines in 2007 in the competition that included two other developers.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1owiUn0Ii

Wasn't the main reason that Hines and Pelli got the nod over the much more sophisticated and aesthetic SOM proposal because they offered so much more for the land? Now they are not going to end up paying that amount?? I want a retrial!

Also, the lack of wind turbines is really disappointing. And 60 stories? Oh my, we caught up to Cleveland 1! It will have the same amount of floors as the Millennium tower next door, which is only 650' tall.

It looks really fat in the rendering. I could get over the loss of height if it weren't so damn chubby. It looks like it wants to reach so badly but just can't.

1 No disrespect to Cleveland- but SF is an international city and deserves more

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:00 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Why did the SOM design not get built. WHY. It was like a Tower Verre on steroids. Well SF you blew it. People don't remember second best, and that's what the current design is.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:07 PM
DENNAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
Why did the SOM design not get built. WHY. It was like a Tower Verre on steroids. Well SF you blew it. People don't remember second best, and that's what the current design is.
Yea it's ashame that tower didn't get built, but at least SF gets a supertall.

Plus Korean air is fairly likely to occupy the LA tower so there will be 2 new supertalls on the west coast by mid decade hopefully. '

(and one in Miami)

Last edited by Zapatan; Mar 12, 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
Khurram Parvaz

^ And both of those designs will be something we have seen a thousand times. Basically California is getting recycled architecture, while good for global warming, it's bad for California's identity. Transbay Towers = Guangzhou West Tower. LA Tower = BofA Tower (NYC). But positively speaking, thousand footers are a good thing.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2012, 11:18 PM

I would also like to remind everybody that there are still plans to build a 640' tower and a 915' tower across the street from Transbay Tower- by SOM architects. When built, this area will put anything L.A. builds to shame- even if they do have the highest tower in the west. It will be the densest commercial corridor on the west coast and the densest in the country outside of N.Y.'s World Trade Center development. Hell, it will be the second densest in the continent- actually, all continents outside of Asia.

If it all pans out (I still have hope!)

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 12:26 AM
Heavy User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I would also like to remind everybody that there are still plans to build a 640' tower and a 915' tower across the street from Transbay Tower- by SOM architects. When built, this area will put anything L.A. builds to shame- even if they do have the highest tower in the west. It will be the densest commercial corridor on the west coast and the densest in the country outside of N.Y.'s World Trade Center development. Hell, it will be the second densest in the continent- actually, all continents outside of Asia.

If it all pans out (I still have hope!)
Let's not start the SF/LA thing.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 12:28 AM
DENNAB

Besides the 915 and 640 foot tower, are the other two 1070 footers still planned? I thought there was way more to this development.

Quote:
What a crock.

Negotiations have resumed between the two sides, although it is unlikely that the land price would reach the $350 million offered by Hines in 2007 in the competition that included two other developers.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...#ixzz1owiUn0Ii

Wasn't the main reason that Hines and Pelli got the nod over the much more sophisticated and aesthetic SOM proposal because they offered so much more for the land? Now they are not going to end up paying that amount?? I want a retrial!

Also, the lack of wind turbines is really disappointing. And 60 stories? Oh my, we caught up to Cleveland 1! It will have the same amount of floors as the Millennium tower next door, which is only 650' tall.

It looks really fat in the rendering. I could get over the loss of height if it weren't so damn chubby. It looks like it wants to reach so badly but just can't.

1 No disrespect to Cleveland- but SF is an international city and deserves more

But floor count isn't everything, this building is still taller than Clevelands tallest, Philly has a near supertall too that's only 58 floors.

Maybe they were wrong about the 60 floors too, the media is not always the most accurate information.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
Besides the 915 and 640 foot tower, are the other two 1070 footers still planned? I thought there was way more to this development.

But floor count isn't everything, this building is still taller than Clevelands tallest, Philly has a near supertall too that's only 58 floors.

Maybe they were wrong about the 60 floors too, the media is not always the most accurate information.

Wikipedia states that there are still 2 1,070 ft. towers planned for the "Renzo Piano" complex at 1st/ Mission- which is now the SOM complex- so I'm not sure if that is accurate. The last I heard about this proposal was on Socketsite, Oct. 4, 2010: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...street_as.html
This thing is moving at a snaaaaaail's pace.

And in regards to the office space market, Twitter, Zynga, SalesForce, and Riverbed have all signed huge leases in the South of Market area within the past few months which has saturated the market. SOMA is where the 21st century of SF's office life will be, no doubt about it. Landlords are renovating old warehouse spaces on streets like Howard, Folsom, and Harrison and marketing them with exposed concrete and heavy timber beams, which is what the tech industry likes.

Construction commencing by the end of next year would be

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Wikipedia states that there are still 2 1,070 ft. towers planned for the "Renzo Piano" complex at 1st/ Mission- which is now the SOM complex- so I'm not sure if that is accurate. The last I heard about this proposal was on Socketsite, Oct. 4, 2010: http://www.socketsite.com/archives/2...street_as.html
This thing is moving at a snaaaaaail's pace.

And in regards to the office space market, Twitter, Zynga, SalesForce, and Riverbed have all signed huge leases in the South of Market area within the past few months which has saturated the market. SOMA is where the 21st century of SF's office life will be, no doubt about it. Landlords are renovating old warehouse spaces on streets like Howard, Folsom, and Harrison and marketing them with exposed concrete and heavy timber beams, which is what the tech industry likes.

Construction commencing by the end of next year would be
The Piano proposal is dead and has been replaced with a proposal by SOM. There is a thread about it here.

Also, regarding office leases...

Here are some of the bigger (tech) leases that have taken place in the first 2 months of 2012:

Quote:
More than 1 million square feet of office space have been leased by technology firms in just the first two months of 2012:

Salesforce.com: 400,000 sq. ft. at 50 Fremont St.

Macys.com: 242,753 sq. ft. at 680 Folsom St.

Riverbed Technology: 167,788 sq. ft. at 680 Folsom St.

Kabam: 64,000 sq. ft. at 795 Folsom St.

StumbleUpon: 63,000 sq. ft. at 310 Brannan St.

LinkedIn: 57,000 sq. ft. at One Montgomery St.

6Waves: 26,405 sq. ft. at 550 Kearny St.

Funzio: 20,000 sq. ft. at 55 Second St.

Source: Mayor’s Office
Soucre: http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/2012...#ixzz1owtJHa4r

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development