HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 1:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The flagpole was on the castellated building on the left. If you zoom in, you can see the Remington Typewriters building (although you can't read the sign), the edge of the "RADIO CUT RATE ELECTRIC" sign (seen better here) and the edge of the Hotel Jovita sign.

USC Digital Library

Here's a better view of the flagpole building from about 20 years earlier.

Photograph of the external view of the Armory Building, on the corner of Eighth Street and Spring Street, Los Angeles, ca.1908. The castle-like building stands about three-stories tall. An American flag stands on top of the tower (corner of building). The tower, like the rest of the building, has battlements all the way around it. Buttresses with pyramid-like spires reinforce the building's structure at intervals all around the building.

USC Digital Library

Some stray facts are provided by this site (bottom of page) http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal4.html ,"Like a castle tower to protect the wealth of Spring Street, The Armory stands at attention at the northwest corner of Spring and Eighth. On the bottom floor were the offices of The Evening News. While usually called "The Armory" or "The Armory Building," this structure's actual name was the "Copeland Building," the nickname probably arising from the combination of its castellated appearance and the sign, visible from the street (though not in this picture), of one of its tenants "Copeland Amory N.G.C.". The Armory Building had at one time served for a short time as premises for the Post Office."

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 2:41 PM

The names "Copeland" and "Armory NGC" (USC have it as "Armory NCC") both appear in the stonework on the front of the building. Signs for The Evening News are also visible (but not included in this detail).

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 5:40 PM

Right you are, Hoss! I have persuaded the maker of the page cited to change that page's text...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 6:52 PM

[QUOTE=JimCraig;8837311]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Ellen was buried in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana.

findagrave.com

I'm pretty adept at Find a Grave but how on earth did you figure out that Ellen Criss was Ernestine Ting?
With a name change, I would think other inconsistencies are possible but her age is off by one year when compared to the newspaper articles.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 7:47 PM

What kind of surname is “Ting”..? I'm assuming she wasn't Chinese...

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
(does anyone know W.C. Field's home address?) .
Actually, I sort of do.

My buddy used to work for Christopher Franke, one of the guys from Tangerine Dream. Franke lived in W.C. Fields' former home.

I visited my friend there, but it was some time ago, probably the late 90s. As such, I can't remember the exact address, but it was in this area right by Lake Hollywood, I think on Wonderview Drive. Supposedly his next door neighbor was Ice T.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post
What kind of surname is “Ting”..? I'm assuming she wasn't Chinese...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsKpShq2X6s

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 5:13 AM

Quote:
Actually, I sort of do.

My buddy used to work for Christopher Franke, one of the guys from Tangerine Dream. Franke lived in W.C. Fields' former home.

I visited my friend there, but it was some time ago, probably the late 90s. As such, I can't remember the exact address, but it was in this area right by Lake Hollywood, I think on Wonderview Drive. Supposedly his next door neighbor was Ice T.
Very interesting, Scott Charles. I don't doubt you for a minute.

but W.C. Fields no doubt lived at numerous addresses over the years.

This photograph shows a house in Bel Air. [no address / approximately 1930s]

huntington archives

"Residence of W.C. Fields, Bel Air, Cal. X104" and "Brookwell Photo"--text, on negative. Title transcribed from negative; date devised by cataloger based on historical operation of Brookwell Photo."

And yet. . .

Priceypads has a listing for "The W.C. Fields Estate" at 2015 De Mille Drive. (below Griffith Observatory)

I've also read that W.C. Fields lived in Toluca Lake (he hated the gulls) and rented a 7 acre ranch in Encino. So far, I haven't come across a house in the area that you pointed out, Scott Charles.

I'm afraid it will take a W.C. Fields scholar to figure all this out correctly.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 6:10 AM

more Door

This Calisphere.org photo is captioned:

"The address is 7671 Fountain Avenue in what is now West Hollywood; this structure has since been demolished.
Photograph caption dated November 20, 1963 reads, "Scene of Hollywood double murder - Crowds surround the home on Fountain avenue where William H. Door Jr., and his brunet [sic] girl friend, Ernestine Ellen Criss, were found slain Tuesday. Highway patrolmen and police attempted to keep traffic moving as hundreds of curious flocked to the scene."

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 6:44 AM

Well e_r, I just spoke to my friend, and I was off by almost three miles. As I said, this was back in the 1990s, I guess my memory is failing me!!

At the time, Christopher Franke actually simultaneously owned TWO houses in the neighborhood (yes, he's THAT rich), one right above the other.

Franke's still-current address is listed as 8908 Appian Way, but as I said, he owned TWO houses, one right below the other.

The house directly below that one - the one I visited - is at 2100 Sunset Plaza Drive. And a quick Google search reveals that address as the former home of W.C. Fields.

(The above listing has a typo, it should say Sunset Plaza Drive, not Blvd.)

Here is the Fields house, the one I visited back in the 90s:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...4d-118.3835615

And just as I recalled, Ice-T lived on the same street, but a block away at 2287 Sunset Plaza - not "next door", as I remembered.

Ice-T’s old Hollywood Hills house, featured in ‘MTV Cribs,’ up for grabs at $9M

Last edited by Scott Charles; Feb 22, 2020 at 7:08 AM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 7:06 AM

Appian Way

Quote:
Well e_r, I just spoke to my friend, and I was off by almost three miles. As I said, this was back in the 1990s, I guess my memory is failing me!!

At the time, Christopher Franke actually simultaneously owned TWO houses in the neighborhood (yes, he's THAT rich), one right above the other.

Franke's still-current address is listed as 8908 Appian Way, but as I said, he owned TWO houses, one right below the other.

The house directly below that one - the one I visited - is at 2100 Sunset Plaza Drive. And a quick Google search reveals that address as the former home of W.C. Fields.

The above listing has a typo, it should say Sunset Plaza Drive, not Blvd.

Here is the Fields house, the one I visited back in the 90s:

My house on Appian Way is just off the aerial to the north. The Fields house (he rented 2100 Sunset Plaza for a few years in the 30s according to neighborhood lore) is now a target for demolition. Chester Conklin lived there before Fields. It has been for sale for many years with no buyers. It is occasionally used as a party house, much to our neighborhood's dismay.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 7:32 AM

WC Fields @ 2015 De Mille Drive

Quote:

And yet. . .

Priceypads has a listing for "The W.C. Fields Estate" at 2015 De Mille Drive. (below Griffith Observatory)

I'd never heard about Fields living in Bel Air -- very interesting.

Here's Fields' 1940 Voter Registration (he was still at 2015 De Mille in 1942):

Ancestry.com

And here he is -- along with neighbor Cecil B. De Mille -- on the 1940 Census (the "8" in the next-to-last column
is the number of years of schooling received). Fields' occupation is "motion picture actor"; De Mille is "motion
picture and radio director/producer." Both Fields and De Mille rented their homes, but De Mille paid 2x the rent
(R 500 vs. R 250):

Ancestry.com

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Feb 22, 2020 at 7:40 AM. Reason: add 1942 info

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 7:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
My house on Appian Way is just off the aerial to the north. The Fields house (he rented 2100 Sunset Plaza for a few years in the 30s according to neighborhood lore) is now a target for demolition. Chester Conklin lived there before Fields. It has been for sale for many years with no buyers. It is occasionally used as a party house, much to our neighborhood's dismay.
It would be a shame if it got torn down, Lorendoc, I remember it as being a really beautiful house indoors.

My friend worked in the garage of the 2100 Sunset Plaza house, which C. Franke used as a mail order office (which he sold his music CDs out of).

My friend was the only employee, and, being a bartender, would work some odd hours (basically whenever he wanted).

So one night at around midnight, my friend calls me on the phone, convinced the house is haunted. To this day, he still swears that he would hear all sorts of unusual sounds at night - footsteps suddenly running on the floor above him, doors suddenly slamming, chairs that would move to a different location when he left the room, and lights that would mysteriously turn themselves on and off.

So my friend called me because, yes, he was freaking out about ghosts. I told him I'd come over and check out the house, because I'm not afraid of ghosts, and I sure wouldn't pass up on the chance to examine W.C. Fields' old house!

My friend told me not to turn on any lights, because C. Franke lived right in the house above, and he was afraid he might notice if any lights were turned on. So I investigated the house in total darkness, with only a dim keychain LED light to light my way.

The house was really nice - it even had an old-fashioned elevator inside, not something you see in a residence every day! I literally walked through the entire home, including the tennis court at the top. And no, I didn't find any ghosts.

Oh, and best of all! When I arrived at the house, my friend said "you have to check this out!", and took me into a small basement. It was packed to the ceiling with vintage synthesizers owned by Christopher Franke.

But far more interesting to me was what I found on a nearby shelf. There were guest books from parties, signed by all the revelers, all in fountain pen. The books were signed by all of the biggest Hollywood stars - consigned to a basement, I bet those books would be worth a FORTUNE.

The books might have been Chester Conklin's (not Fields'), as the stars who signed the book were from the silent age, or shortly thereafter - people like Clara Bow and Tom Mix.

Last edited by Scott Charles; Feb 22, 2020 at 6:01 PM.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 8:30 AM

So many interesting developments & discoveries since earlier this evening!

Here is something we don't see very often on NLA. A TINTYPE!

"1880s tintype,Boston Dry Goods Store,horse, buggy, Los Angeles,CA"

eBay..straightened and flipped

The seller suggests that one of the young men might be Joseph Robinson, founder of the Boston Dry Good Store.

Asking $500

Here's a closer look at the two young gentlemen.

detail

Very dapper.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 22, 2020 at 8:42 AM.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 6:12 PM

Quote:
This interesting photograph was recently listed on eBay

eBay for search purposes:.... Laurel Canyon Blvd. Bridge - Feb. 26, 1929

It appears the bridge is newly finished. There are a group of workmen on the right edge of the photograph and, if you look closely, there are two workers on the opposite side of the bridge near the fine looking house.

Here are the two men on the far side of the bridge. . . as well as a closer look at the house.

detail

I took Laurel Canyon Blvd. daily when I first moved to Lo Angeles and I don't remember driving over any bridge on Laurel Canyon Blvd. that was remotely like this one.

What happened to it?
e_r, it became unremarkable, just a street on a very utilitarian overpass. I couldn't get an angle like that of the original image:

gsv

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Thanks for your reminiscence about working at Wallichs BDiH. It gives all the photos of the corner of Hollywood & Vine a personal touch now!

Quote: "Most of the movie stars and recording artists came in after midnight when it was quiet." Do you have any stories of any people you saw? Or just name drop few?

I wish you had a picture of yourself in the "Beatle Wig!"

Your post is the first mention I recall of a Norm's Restaurant near there. I know the La Cienega one was built in 1957. I looked on Norm's website and they have some history about the restaurants, but no photo of the one you frequented. Their website said that Norm Roybark opened his first restaurant at Sunset & Morningside in 1949! From the Norm's site: "NORMS made its debut in 1949 when Norm Roybark, a Los Angeles native, opened his first diner near the famed Hollywood corner of Sunset and Vine. As one of the few spots open 24/7, it didn’t take long before NORMS became the place to be."

I've been trying to find a photograph of this Norm's, but to no avail. (So far?) You mentioned watching the Cinerama Dome being built. I did find this aerial photo of it under construction. (July, 1963.) Several photos like this have been previously posted. I am assuming the little place across the street from the Dome's "shell" pictured here is that particular Norm's?

LAPL

If you watched the Cinerama Dome being built, did you also watch the NBC Building get torn down? As you may know, for several years I've been trying to locate a COLOR photo of the lobby mural inside the NBC Building. So I have to ask if you ever were inside that building and saw it in person? I have never come across anyone who's even seen it in person. Wouldn't it be amusing if I find someone who actually saw it and they say "No, it was painted in black & white." LOL!

UPDATE: I found this postcard on the Los Angeles Theatres site that partially shows the Norm's at Sunset Blvd. and Morningside!

Los Angeles Theatres

Another view

https://scontent-ams4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13015195_454605651412581_320162217159079535_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQldEi38EA0lxomY9iYtJxD49-uj7mzHgDr1ESbae7uC7aQIDAenk6WEvR6VLc9xa2c&_nc_ht=scontent-ams4-1.xx&oh=d82943b7db9bddd44fb916d43b9db801&oe=5EF98C5

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 10:19 PM

I don't know if we have seen this particular construction photograph but it was just listed on eBay.

eBay

Here's the reverse-

...........................................................................................From the Los Angeles Chamber of Commerce.

..........................................................................................."Figueroa end of tunnel." june 9, 1921

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 10:53 PM

That's a great photo showing Radio City from above. You can see the old RCA building (light green) on the east side of Vine and the new one under construction on Sunset. Norm's was a lot of fun. Everyone from Lenny Bruce to Lloyd Thaxton used to hang out there. Clyde Wallich lived at the Ardmore on Whitley in the 1960s; so did writer Jim Thompson and Edgar Buchanan. I lived on Whitley, north of Franklin. Leo G. Carroll had a beautiful home at the top of Whitley Avenue at Grace Avenue. Here's a link with some Music City photos.

http://www.radiocityhollywood.com/

Old Posted Feb 23, 2020, 11:21 PM

Here's a church that we haven't seen on NLA. (unless we've seen it posted under a different name)

"RPPC Showing the Knox Presbyterian Church 438 Figeuroa St. Los Angeles 1913."

eBay

What makes it especially interesting is the brief history written on the back.

reverse

And all those notable events in these people's lives ended up underneath the 101 Freeway.....sad

GSV

UPDATE:

THIS LOCATION MAY BE INCORRECT......I'M WORKING ON A CORRECTION.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 24, 2020 at 4:39 PM.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 1:14 AM
BANNED

[QUOTE=Tourmaline;8170017
https://bobsegarini.files.wordpress....music-city.jpg

/QUOTE]

I was wandering around Wallichs Music City store in the late 1970s, thumbing through some vinyl records....it was entertainment in those days.
Across the record stands from me was Topless Swimsuit designer Rudi Gernreich, searching for something. In those days I was too shy to say anything. [Things have changed since then]. Today I would have at least said a polite ''hello Rudi". The wiki page below says he lived an interesting life. He was from Austria and thought that everything should be nude and natural.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudi_Gernreich <<<<<<

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudi_Gernreich

freePress

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 24, 2020 at 5:47 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos