HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Aug 9, 2011, 10:06 PM

It's an interesting idea, but the city needs to prioritize Walterdale replacement, new RAM, Arena District, LRT expansion, Jasper Ave New Vision, Capital Blvd/Centennial Plaza first. I didn't read the whole article, but is there even going to be a plan to have buildings of some sort front the canal? I assume by little community impact, no. Essentially a canal in a quiet residential neighbourhood. I'd rather have Rossdale urbanized and densified first so that the canal is an addition to an already vibrant neighbourhood.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 1:10 AM

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 2:04 AM

I can't really imagine where that's going to go? Anybody care to draw a map?

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 1:39 PM

It circles around the Rossdale plant and Telus field

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 1:55 PM
DRINK

I've had the pleasure of meeting Sol a few times. One of the best Edmontonians out there.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 6:48 PM
A Better Place

Rossdale Canal by Nosirrah11, on Flickr

Think this is the rough path as per the description in the journal

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 7:17 PM
DRINK

Holy shit, i didn't think it was going to be that big. yis please!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2013, 8:35 PM

Thanks Harrison! Yes, that would be amazing!

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 3:57 AM
Community Guy

I like bold thinking, but this is just stupid.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 4:02 AM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ Probably a better idea than a beach, at least.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 4:07 AM
Community Guy

Bural grounds, exhorbinant costs, logistics, a secure EPCOR site.

How about we use that cash to maybe get west rossdale going... Such a waste currently.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 5:49 AM

Or about thinking of this as having a riverside waterfront without the dangers of the actual river. You can boat on it, fish on it, skate on it, sit on a patio beside it. Hell, we can have a proper beach on it that's adjacent to the water instead of the current ridiculous idea of a beach halfway up the hill from the river.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 2:48 PM
Community Guy

This idea is going to be so incredibly complex, costly and while fun, absolutely the wrong thing to be pursuing given other priorities and needs.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 2:53 PM

I know you want to fill West Rossdale with another quasi-Yaletown condo farm, but a canal would enhance the desirability of such developments, no?

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 3:00 PM
DRINK

The article isn't that clear, but it almost implies like most of the $50m in private funds are in place. If thats the case there is obviously a lot of momentum within the development community to do this.

Sure there are some hurdles, but it is also a faily clean slate. Unlike the North Edge or East Jasper, you don't have to worry about trying to sell your product when you have crack houses, shelters and other undesirables as neighbours. I see this as a huge advantage.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 3:51 PM
HVAC guru

I don't know what would be worse. Living next to crack heads or people who think that Fiat 500's are cool cars

This idea *sounds* neat enough, but holy crap.. can we not build on what we already have ? Logisitcally, it sounds like a huge expense just so a few yuppie hipsters can have a canal in front of their 300 s.f. shoebox

Old Posted Jul 11, 2013, 4:18 PM
Urban Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOFEAR View Post
The article isn't that clear, but it almost implies like most of the $50m in private funds are in place. If thats the case there is obviously a lot of momentum within the development community to do this.
Really, I don't read it as such. To me it sounds like it is pie-in-the-sky still with theoretical funds.

This article completely disregards the planning work that has been done and is on going for Rossdale right now. It implies it is this derelict blank slate, but doesn't account for the work and consultation that has gone on to date.

I don't see why this is any better than building a proper river walk around Rossdale instead? That seems like a simpler and better solution if you ask me. Leave the "canal" to the City Centre Airport Lands (Blatchford), and take advantage of the river we actually have.
Cities are the most extraordinary human creation. They are this phenomenon which has unbelievable capacity to solve problems, to innovate, to invent, to create prosperity, to make change and continually reform. - Ken Greenburg

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 6:15 PM

I've been working on a reimagining of Rossdale power plant as a part of my thesis studies and thought I'd share a sampling of it here.

The thesis is titled "Generating and Oasis: Architecture of Climatic Engagement for a Northern City" and involves recommissioning the plant as a geothermal generation facility for West Rossdale, utilizing its residual and ambient heat for public, communal warming (highlighted by a series of thermal baths in and adjacent to the plant), and finally, integrating into the proposal the city's much talked about urban gondola project. The proposal is meant to stimulate a discussion about how our city deals with the winter season and how this iconic structure might be transformed to facilitate a shift in our climatic identity.

In short, it is a proposition that quite literally opens up Rossdale to the city as a 'destination of warmth': one whose warm waters and interventions of climatic comfort will bring Edmontonians to the very edge of winter. Here, unlike the internalized architecture that has become the norm in this city, the line between inside and outside is blurred.

Strategic cuts and extractions are made in the building's brick surfaces and inserted into their voids a wood-surfaced path, inspired by the stairs and boardwalks found throughout the valley, brings the city in.

The extraction of a piece of the Boiler Hall's west facade calls out saying "welcome to the new Rossale" and in its track, bathers are brought back out into urbanity:

The northward extraction of one of the switchouse's facades creates a gateway for gondola and pedestrain arrival:

The removal of the southeast corner of the turbine hall plays with the idea of climatic threshold and extends patio culture well into the fringe seasons:

Cutting through the historic volumes, 'the path' puts Rossdale on exhibit and acts as a platform for community programming.

The water of the baths bring the public into contact with the found subterranean terrain and allow the structure to be seen from never before experienced perspectives. Its warm waters bring people out and into the wintery landscape and keep them there.

The smokestack towers take the idea of extraction and fragment to the city scale. By taking a few of the plant's smokestacks and distributing them throughout the valley repurposed as warming retreats. By offering visually related moments of comfort through nodes like this, the valley becomes an activated realm across all four seasons.

The thesis is meant to be a catalyst for a developing infrastructure of climatic engagement in the city: one that inspires other interventions of warming that tap into unutilized thermal resources to activate once desolate streets. Possibilities I have offered include solar-tube clad gondola cars, snow-accepting building skins, LRT-grate heated bus stops, awnings that take advantage of waste heat from bakery ovens, or even simply canopies of light that stimulate associations of warmth and comfort above key pedestrian routes.

The Gondola:

LRT-heated bus stops:

Sensory Urban Installations:

Last edited by whyteknight; Mar 23, 2014 at 12:13 AM.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2014, 7:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyteknight View Post
I've been working on a reimagining of Rossdale power plant as a part of my thesis studies and thought I'd share a sampling of it here.
Wow... that's amazing work!

Wish this sort of creative reuse could have been done with the molson site

Old Posted Mar 23, 2014, 5:12 AM

Incredible.

You have unbound future.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton