HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:41 AM

Is it possible to buy shares of Edmonton's downtown on the stock market or something like that? I want to buy some shares!

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itom 987 View Post
Is it possible to buy shares of Edmonton's downtown on the stock market or something like that? I want to buy some shares!
Market derivatives do exist in Europe, and for some major US markets also. They're used primarily by institutional real estate investors as hedges, though.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 7:29 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

I understand cold's frustration. There is some give and take on both sides - Edmontonians need to want an urban shopping experience, yes, but Edmonton also needs more retailers and investors to take a chance on our downtown in order to give Edmontonians a reason to want to shop, eat, and otherwise be downtown.

It's almost a catch 22 - downtown needs more people to spend money there in order to attract a good retail base, but people need more retail downtown before they will spend their money there. The only way this doesn't become a stagnant rut is when chances are taken - when more people "try" the urban experience, and when retailers "try" urban stores.

With that in mind, it's pretty clear to me why this is not an overnight thing. It is going to take some time. Let's face it, Edmontonians aren't used to the urban experience. But I think we're ready for it, and there is definitely lots of movement in the right direction. We just need to be patient.

And - when opportunities strike - we need to take chances ourselves. I spend lot of my time and dollars downtown - as much and as often as I possibly can. And you can bet if I had the money I would be willing to invest in a promising business looking at opening downtown. I'm sure many of us say the same (heck, maybe someday we'll find ourselves in business together).

There's no reason to not be positive, though. Downtown has made huge and I would argue an unprecedented recovery in a relatively short period of time. The next boom could well push us into the "critical mass" that is so sought after. Our growing information and financial industries are attracting more urbanites from other cities, while also making some of our own. LRT expansion is on track and I suspect will be more of a boost to downtown than the suburbs in the big picture and over the long term.

Is there more that we as a city and citizens can be doing? Absolutely. Let's keep pushing for those things, then. But let's not lose sight of how deep that hole was and how far we've climbed out of it in a short period of time.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 7:44 PM
Community Guy

^well said and yes I recognize your points, especially the chicken and the egg issue.

My main issues are that there is a fair amount here right now but relatively low perception of that or participation in that.

Downtowns should be places to be, to go, to explore, to flaunt.

Edmonton is almost the exact opposite at the moment other than a festival night or group of muscle cars parked on jasper and 106st.

Do I blame them, no not really... just look at the downtown.

BUT, we need more people in this city truly voting with their dollars and time to change things and putting an apple store in Southgate over your downtown is a sign that we are very very far from where we should/could be.

My big worry is that those who are here or move here will become fed up with the pace/direction of urbanization in this city and then leave, many already have.

Hell, I am more and more on the fence and while I do want to stay, I am becoming increasingly upset at 'how we want to grow' here.

I am doing my best to change attitudes and policy/planning alike, but will it be enough to reassure me that there is light at the end of the tunnel?

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 9:21 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ At the risk of sounding pretentious or at least overly philosophical, I guess that depends on whether you think the goal should be the light, or the journey to find it even if it means crawling through a few tunnels along the way.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 9:34 PM
Community Guy

^it is pretty dark where i am.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 9:36 PM

Great post, RTA, I agree. It's a mixture of both sides (business and consumer) and one or the other or maybe a little of both will eventually need to give in a little for things to actually change. And I think they are, not overnight, no, but there have been some examples. Sobey's took a big step in building an urban format grocer in the Warehouse District, steps from the Financial District. Despite the controversy, we got a new state-of-the-art Art gallery that is actually quite decent in my opinion. What about the new businesses opening on 104th Street? They're taking a risk as it isn't as high profile a spot as say Jasper or 104 Ave or 101 Street or Churchill Square. The farmers' market helps and continuing people's knowledge of the place, though. What about the brand new EPCOR Tower? Taking a huge leap and stunningly will become the tallest tower in the city. Despite all the construction updates, this building is not talked or hyped enough! It actually looks good (over the hyped ICON's) and hello...first major brand new commercial high rise in how long? Over 20 years by the time it's completed.

I still think Downtown could be a LOT better, and it's happening, slowly but surely. It's not like it's going to turn into Dubai over night and become a big construction site of change, progress, and style.

The Warehouse District has the potential (along with Jasper west of the CBD) to become even more vibrant than Whyte ave. It could host chains which will make suburbanites realize there is some places to go in a cool, urban atmosphere or after a event, it will be steps from the Financial areas of the Downtown where workers can easily walk for a lunch or a little shopping break or a 15 min break, and will host residential to keep it alive and whatnot into the night and on weekends. And that's in the Downtown proper!

It's shocking, though, that the super-dense Oliver still hasn't supported a vibrant urban street (and 124 Street is not vibrant, yet) for how many people are in that area.

I think people need to realize that the heart of Downtown's (aka the Financial area, think 101 St/Jasper ave) across North America (not all; most) will likely NEVER be the vibrant hubs of the city they once were 50+ yrs ago. They've been disrupted by commercial buildings and zero residential along with unfriendly pedestrian experiences. The Warehouse District and McKay Ave, although apart of the Downtown proper, are no 101/Jasper and have loads more potential.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
let me make this a little clearer

EDMONTON DOES NOT HAVE TO BE ANYTHING OTHER THAN EDMONTON, BUT WHAT DOES EDMONTON WANT TO BE?

right now it ain't pretty
I agree whole heartedly

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 9:50 PM

Some more happenings on 124th.

A new bakery catering company has opened up just of 124th.

Current offerings are baked goods as well as soups during the lunch hour.

The owner was the former chef at Leduc GC.

Cellar Door Cake & Catering co. 12415 107ave

Early reports say it could give Duchess some light competition.

Lemon Tart is as good as Duchesses.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2010, 10:08 PM
Community Guy

good to hear, although I NEED THAT NEAR ME!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:19 AM
Urbis Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
good to hear, although I NEED THAT NEAR ME!
Yes, a good bakery downtown is necessary.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:27 AM
Community Guy

^good earth is good for what it is and the Sobeys has a killer bread selection but desserts are only ok.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:29 AM
Urbis Maximus

Connect Architecture has some cool projects.

Like this beauty. I wonder where this is?

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:32 AM
Community Guy

^good god yes.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:36 AM
Urbis Maximus

Connect Architecture, more please.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:38 AM

Much more please!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2010, 3:43 AM
Community Guy

although that should be in the construction forum...

Old Posted May 2, 2010, 6:04 AM
GT Champion

Happened to notice at WEM today a fairly large 'test' section with samples of new flooring, new railings replacing the brass, new stone and tile columns and other things. Gotta say some of the options looked pretty sharp. Could it be WEM is finally doing some interior renos?

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 10:27 PM
Urbis Maximus

^Perhaps. Bout time....

Old Posted May 3, 2010, 10:58 PM
A Better Place

If it is in fact a test of an upcoming interior renovation, then bring it on! After the interior, an exterior reno would be more then welcome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton