HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
^^ I wasn't trying to make any "claims." Or at least my intent was not to be absolute.
I meant Google's claims to the contrary. They said they weren't increasing their workforce when they announced the move to west loop and a bigger office, when they obviously are.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 4:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I meant Google's claims to the contrary. They said they weren't increasing their workforce when they announced the move to west loop and a bigger office, when they obviously are.
Ah, my bad. Thanks for clarifying. Yeah not buying that they aren't increasing their workforce here then. They are leasing 100,000 more square feet at fulton., going from about 150k to about 250k. They either plan to add quite a few people or they just wanted to give their employees some extra roomy offices

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
I just saw these trucks at the empty lot at Lake and Stetson. They could just be holding for a delivery somewhere nearby. That lot (and the road itself) could definitely use some love, considering the rocket pace at which N Mich has been developing a block away.
There is a crane onsite now delivering equipment to Boulevard Towers (they're hoisting it to the mid-level mechanical floors externally). . . nothing more to see here I'm afraid. . .

. . .

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 4:16 PM

Queen Anne building at maple and chicago half demolished. Sad.

I would have preferred the original proposal which was to save it and construct a 4-story classic chicago brick and steel building

The new building will be generic ....you know that random window arrangement thing.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Queen Anne building at maple and chicago half demolished. Sad.
Are we talking the row house pair at Maple and State?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 9:18 PM
TL;DR

Gradual progress towards TOD in Jefferson Park...

5 stories, 48 units, 51 parking spaces right by the Metra stop.

Quote:
48-unit apartment complex proposed for site at Long and Argyle
April 9, 2014

Two five-story apartment buildings are being proposed for a former concrete company storage facility at the northeast corner of Argyle Street and Long Avenue.

The project is one of several redevelopment plans which are under consideration for vacant lots near the Jefferson Park CTA terminal and Metra station, 4917 N. Milwaukee Ave.

The building would be separated by a 6,000-square-foot courtyard which would take up about 20 percent of the property. Pikarski said that the courtyard would complement a public plaza which the City of Chicago is considering for a city-owned vacant parcel along the expressway across the street from the site.

Meanwhile, plans to build a parking garage and retail space on the other Cowhey site are being revived. A health club reportedly has been considered as a possible tenant. The 25,000-square-foot site at Lipps and Ainslie Street is being used as an 80-space parking lot for tenants of the Veterans Square office building, 4849 N. Milwaukee Ave.

Mega reportedly also has been exploring a new plan for some of the vacant parcels on Lawrence. The City of Chicago acquired several of the lots in 2006 through condemnation and intended to resell the land to Mega, but plans to build a 132-unit condominium project there were dropped due to community opposition.

The city has required bidders for the city-owned, 11,250-square-foot parcel at 5201-09 W. Lawrence Ave. to redevelop the site under its existing B3-2 zoning, which would allow construction of a 50-foot-tall building. Arena has said that construction of multi-family developments is needed near commercial districts to assist with their revitalization.

Ideas that Mega is considering for its properties were discussed at a recent meeting of the association’s task force. Arena has said that he would not support a large parking structure unless it were part of a plan to redevelop the area.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2014, 9:25 PM
The City

^. I'm glad Arena is the Alderman representing the area rather than that one fat fuck. I hate Mega Realty though, they have defaced the city with too many strip malls. Hopefully we see something better from them

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 12:29 AM

New 12 unit building coming to a vacant lot on N Central Ave just north of Diversey (around George. 2917 N Central Ave to be exact). Good to see for that area. Architect is Bill Kokalias and developer is Zitella

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:57 AM

The Crain's construction pipeline has a $5 million Sheraton going in at Clark and Addison, which is right at Wrigley Field. I haven't been paying too close attention to the Wrigley area developments... is this the hotel with the supposed skybridge to Wrigley? It's going where the McDonalds is?

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 5:00 AM

^ I think the other hotel for that intersection was a Hyatt, and IIRC the Hyatt was the multi-parcel development on the south side of Addison that seems stalled, so I think you're right - Sheraton is on the west side of Clark with the (if approved) ped bridge to the Cubs triangle building.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 3:14 PM

The Lycee Francais de Chicago in Ravenswood on Wilson is now well underway.

I snapped this very quick shot which I believe is a base for a crane? The foundation work appears to be largely in place but is obscured by the fence in this photo:

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 4:30 PM

^ Nice. This is (or was supposed to be) a Krueck+Sexton design. I really hope that's still the case.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2014, 5:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
Are we talking the row house pair at Maple and State?
Yeah sorry. I typed that in a hurry. Meant to say state

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 5:36 PM
The City

Reading today's Crains, a lot of developers are swarming in on vacant lots in the West Loop.

Steely, you once complained that the West Loop has too many vacant lots. That seems poised to change pretty fast, the way things are going.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Reading today's Crains, a lot of developers are swarming in on vacant lots in the West Loop.

Steely, you once complained that the West Loop has too many vacant lots. That seems poised to change pretty fast, the way things are going.
Hopefully they're capping all development at nine stories. Anything more would be a slap in the face.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 6:38 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post
Hopefully they're capping all development at nine stories. Anything more would be a slap in the face.
Yes, I will be very angry at any attempt to build over 9 stories.

I feel that above 9 stories, we are putting the safety of children at risk. Above 9 stories, children begin to die..

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 7:02 PM

And the first 5 floors MUST be for a parking podium!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 7:03 PM
The City

So it appears that some of the 2 bedroom apts at 111 W Wacker in some of its lower level apartments with less than ideal floor plans are listed at $3875 per month.

Is it just me or are rents getting a bit bubbly here in Chicago?

It also has me wondering: could this not be a great way to raise tax revenue for the city in helping pay into pensions? Raise property taxes on large multiunit buildings, and have the costs passed along to renters. That would lessen the burden on individual homeowners.

It's all about the perception:

High property taxes = a burden on middle class homeowners--shame on you, Rahm!
High rents = oh my God I have to live there! Rahm is making this city so sexy & desirable!

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 7:07 PM

3030 N Broadway in E Lakeview

Looks like plans for the all retail development will be revealed tonight at SELVN meeting

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20140...-lakeview-plan

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 7:30 PM

I walked past the 1611 Division building yesterday, and noticed that the construction workers are finally making progress on the Intelligentsia Coffee bar that will be at that location. They are months behind schedule on that, but I can see they are finally working on the interior. So, that is good news for those of us who live in Wicker Park/East Village.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development