HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum.

Since 1999, SkyscraperPage.com's forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web.  The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics.  SkyscraperPage.com also features unique skyscraper diagrams, a database of construction activity, and publishes popular skyscraper posters.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Today, 2:37 AM

With the laughable suburban vacancy rates, this development makes no sense to me. To think; Zurich could have gotten 130 N Franklin off the ground.. Not to mention their employees could have perhaps sparked the Spire. Wishful thinking I know, but get it together Rahm!

Old Posted Today, 3:02 AM
oops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
This is a heinous monstrosity. Way, way too massive for that stretch of Broadway. And every elevation is too monolithic at that. 280 cars driving in and out of there? No way. This is terrible.
Agreed. Way too big and overbearing. AND it's ugly, generic crap.

Such a shame too; the previous design was solid. :/

Total let down.

Old Posted Today, 3:59 AM
vertical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
With the laughable suburban vacancy rates, this development makes no sense to me. To think; Zurich could have gotten 130 N Franklin off the ground.. Not to mention their employees could have perhaps sparked the Spire. Wishful thinking I know, but get it together Rahm!
Not every company wants to be in the city, and not every company can be persuaded. Rahm has done far more than his predecessor in luring businesses to the city, but he has a huge advantage - technology companies crave young workers, and young educated people want to live/work in the city.

In other industries, like insurance (Zurich, Allstate, etc) they're not depending on a constant stream of fresh young faces, so they locate where the executives have an easy commute. They also value experience more than fresh thinking, so they prefer a suburban market where they have access to lots of older people in their 30s/40s who live in the suburbs to raise a family. Pharma also prefers the suburbs, because they can put offices, labs, and even manufacturing together in a unified campus. You definitely can't do that in the Loop.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development