HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrashATL View Post
No, but I spent time bending the ear of the person who (along with her firm) did the roof, Erleen Hatfield of BuroHappold Engineering. You can see her in the video on the Science channel about the Mercedes Benz Stadium. She has the dark hair & glasses, 40ish. Nice lady, will talk about the project all day. Well, when it was going, I'm sure she's long moved on to something else. She is the one who came up with the deflection of 23" and it turned out to be 22.58". Holy smokes she's good. When someone trusts you with $500M of their money, you better know what you're doing. Her she is with a selfie in front of her "baby".
That's amazing, thank you for sharing!!

Ryan Gravel is opening a bar/hangout spot intown called "Aftercar" that's hoping to get people talking to one another about big ideas and projects. She sounds like someone we'd be fortunate to bump into and learn from at the new spot!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2018, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Could not afford to make the opening bigger? That opening is as big as it can get without the thing collapsing. And @ $500m just for the roof, it costs as much as half the complete stadiums in the NFL. I'd say Atlanta is rich beyond the dreams of most cities and this stadium proves it.
The MBS was 1.6 billion (2017), same as the MetLife (2010). Anyone that follows the NFL knows this was relatively inexpensive at the rate NFL stadiums are now built. Minnesota (2016) was I believe 1.5 billion. The NFL are making stadiums more expensive compared to 15 years ago. To compare the cost to half the other stadiums isn't a valid point. Las Vegas new stadium is almost 1.9 billion and LA's total cost is 5 billion. I am an avid sports fan. Lol. I was one of the few that was positive about Sun Trust Park.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
The MBS was 1.6 billion (2017), same as the MetLife (2010). Anyone that follows the NFL knows this was relatively inexpensive at the rate NFL stadiums are now built. Minnesota (2016) was I believe 1.5 billion. The NFL are making stadiums more expensive compared to 15 years ago. To compare the cost to half the other stadiums isn't a valid point. Las Vegas new stadium is almost 1.9 billion and LA's total cost is 5 billion. I am an avid sports fan. Lol. I was one of the few that was positive about Sun Trust Park.
That's why I said HALF. Minnesota was $1.1B. Atlanta's stadium is 10,000 seats bigger and 100 feet longer/wider. The upcoming stadiums are pushing the envelop like MBS did. The stadiums I'm talking about that are about as expensive as the roof of MBS are the stadiums like Cincy has, $455M in construction cost, Nissan Stadium in Nashville for $300M, etc etc. The slapped together Tetris stack concrete bowls. Atlanta's stadium started planning as early as 2008. Stadiums going up today were started in 2015-16. Atlanta's cost based on it's started date are horrific in comparison in date/dollars to new stuff. MBS started today would probably crack $2B. LA's stadium is not going to be anywhere near $5B. It is part of an entire Inglewood NFL village work/live/play development and transformation of 20 years that MAY approach $5B. Like the Gulch project next to MBS, $5B. Add that to Mercedes' cost and we're talking $6.6B. Not so impressive for LA then.

Last edited by ThrashATL; Oct 20, 2018 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 4:58 PM

Quote:
That's why I said HALF. Minnesota was $1.1B. Atlanta's stadium is 10,000 seats bigger and 100 feet longer/wider. The upcoming stadiums are pushing the envelop like MBS did. The stadiums I'm talking about that are about as expensive as the roof of MBS are the stadiums like Cincy has, $455M in construction cost, Nissan Stadium in Nashville for $300M, etc etc. The slapped together Tetris stack concrete bowls. Atlanta's stadium started planning as early as 2008. Stadiums going up today were started in 2015-16. Atlanta's cost based on it's started date are horrific in comparison in date/dollars to new stuff. MBS started today would probably crack $2B. LA's stadium is not going to be anywhere near $5B. It is part of an entire Inglewood NFL village work/live/play development and transformation of 20 years that MAY approach $5B. Like the Gulch project next to MBS, $5B. Add that to Mercedes' cost and we're talking $6.6B. Not so impressive for LA then.
First of all, it's not a competition as far as cost. To make a statement about LA not so impressive shows where your mindset is on these things. To add the Gulch cost and say that it would've been 6.6 Billion is absurd. Yes, the LA stadium by itself is now at 2.8 Billion and the 20 year statement was ridiculous. It's like you have some sort of envy. The new stadium in LA started it's planning stages in 2009. When the NFL, made it clear that LA was a consideration for a NFL team, the Rams and the Chargers already had stadium plans that were finished for more than 3 years, only tweaks was the exact location. As you might know, the new Las Vegas Stadium was initially designed for the LA Chargers. The trend of these new stadiums started with Met Life (2010) 1.6 billion. And of course At&t stadium 1.3 billion back in 2013.

I'm one that reads and follows different forums and blogs on stadiums. My original statement was about what the NFL announcer said during the Falcons game. That opinion has been all over a lot of these blogs. I totally agreed. I also felt the sentiment that was mentioned on here how when the roof is closed it felt like a convention center. I personally felt inside that it looked outdated, it reminded me of the Astrodome years ago when looking at the entire roof. I do think the stadium is nice on the outside.

Clearly, you're not a sports fan. The things I'm saying is well documented. There have been some rave reviews about Minnesota and MBS. But several sport shows have mentioned about no sun being on the field and how a small section of the stadium gets direct light. And as far as LA's stadium, though its a matter of opinion, they are all calling it the 9th wonder of the world. I'm bicoastal, so I've no prejudices towards either. Btw, you do know the Gulch is up to 9 highrises, compared to a couple of midrises and homes in LA...not close to the same type of development.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scania View Post
First of all, it's not a competition as far as cost. To make a statement about LA not so impressive shows where your mindset is on these things. To add the Gulch cost and say that it would've been 6.6 Billion is absurd. Yes, the LA stadium by itself is now at 2.8 Billion and the 20 year statement was ridiculous. It's like you have some sort of envy. The new stadium in LA started it's planning stages in 2009. When the NFL, made it clear that LA was a consideration for a NFL team, the Rams and the Chargers already had stadium plans that were finished for more than 3 years, only tweaks was the exact location. As you might know, the new Las Vegas Stadium was initially designed for the LA Chargers. The trend of these new stadiums started with Met Life (2010) 1.6 billion. And of course At&t stadium 1.3 billion back in 2013.

I'm one that reads and follows different forums and blogs on stadiums. My original statement was about what the NFL announcer said during the Falcons game. That opinion has been all over a lot of these blogs. I totally agreed. I also felt the sentiment that was mentioned on here how when the roof is closed it felt like a convention center. I personally felt inside that it looked outdated, it reminded me of the Astrodome years ago when looking at the entire roof. I do think the stadium is nice on the outside.

Clearly, you're not a sports fan. The things I'm saying is well documented. There have been some rave reviews about Minnesota and MBS. But several sport shows have mentioned about no sun being on the field and how a small section of the stadium gets direct light. And as far as LA's stadium, though its a matter of opinion, they are all calling it the 9th wonder of the world. I'm bicoastal, so I've no prejudices towards either. Btw, you do know the Gulch is up to 9 highrises, compared to a couple of midrises and homes in LA...not close to the same type of development.
The Inglewood development has many factors that have nothing to do with the stadium but are being done as part of the package. Clearly, you're an idiot for saying I'm not a sports fan, what the f do you know about me? F'ing moron.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 8:51 PM

Went to the State Farm Arena open house today; very nice upgrade

Old Posted Oct 20, 2018, 11:51 PM

Quote:
The Inglewood development has many factors that have nothing to do with the stadium but are being done as part of the package. Clearly, you're an idiot for saying I'm not a sports fan, what the f do you know about me? F'ing moron.
LOL...as I said in the beginning, you and I have a different mindset. All of the name calling is so unnecessary. The facts are the entire Inglewood development is about 5 billion. The stadium by itself is 2.8 billion, which has nothing to do with the rest of the development. As far as a sports fan...my apologies, the statements you've made makes it seem as if you are not an avid sports fan. Also, it's crazy how some can take something like this so personal. It's a stadium...emotions like this is what makes others feel that the certain cities don't have anything going on, because things like this shouldn't make anyone get so defensive. SMH. I won't address you on this topic anymore. There are times we agree, and other times we don't.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2019, 12:22 AM

Old Posted Mar 11, 2020, 10:59 PM

Atlanta’s Final Four won’t have fans

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/n...gszkOaDiJC6VN/

Quote:
The NCAA men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, including the men’s Final Four in Atlanta early next month, will be played without fans in the stands because of coronavirus concerns, the NCAA announced Wednesday.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2020, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Pretty crazy. I wonder if we're gonna get the 2027 tourney.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta