HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

View Poll Results: Which transbay tower design scheme do you like best?
#1 Richard Rogers 40 8.05%
#2 Cesar Pelli 99 19.92%
#3 SOM 358 72.03%
Voters: 497. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 2:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
That is a nice little video.
I don't think anyone really knows if the tower will get built. I hope it does.
The SOM Tower would of looked awsome as a super tall. The Pelli tower is kind of bland i wouldn't mind it if it were the same height as the existing skyline but I am not crazy about the renderings of it as a supertall. It just doesn't go with the skyline and looks like a giant phallic symbol.

I was dissapointed with the early Pelli renderings for the terminal but the newer ones look much better but still don't messure up to SOM's.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2011, 6:12 PM

It doesn't really matter as SOM was not chosen, it's a bummer but I've moved on.
As for the Pelli tower, I agree. It is San Francisco, if there was a city to build that, this is it.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 1:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RST500 View Post
The SOM Tower would of looked awsome as a super tall. The Pelli tower is kind of bland i wouldn't mind it if it were the same height as the existing skyline but I am not crazy about the renderings of it as a supertall. It just doesn't go with the skyline and looks like a giant phallic symbol.

I was dissapointed with the early Pelli renderings for the terminal but the newer ones look much better but still don't messure up to SOM's.
The renderings you see here do not reflect the final design. There is going to be a lengthy review process and the design will be perfected. I think the building as currently rendered is too bloated and is uneasy looking.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 8:20 PM

Quote:
Is Jerry Going to Kill Off Redevelopment to Save Education?

By Jay Barmann in News on January 6, 2011 12:47 PM

No doubt, Jerry Brown's got big problems to work out in Sacramento to deal with the state's $28 billion dollar deficit. But word on the street is that he's contemplating ending redevelopment, the economic and property development engine that's played a huge role in revitalizing California cities over the last several decades. As the Mercury News reports, Governor Brown may be making an announcement as early as Monday that he'll be raiding redevelopment in order to cover shortfalls in education budgets statewide, something that is sure to be putting many real estate industry professionals and city employees on edge. About $5.5 billion in annual property tax revenue is currently diverted to redevelopment, and this promise of annual funding is used to issue bonds to fund construction projects.

What is redevelopment, you ask? Well, it's somewhat complicated and often controversial, but it's a way for cities to direct revenue into development projects in what they consider "blighted" areas. In San Francisco, for instance, the SF Redevelopment Agency used property tax funds to develop much of what we now know as Yerba Buena Center, and projects like the new Transbay center and the renovation of the Metreon rely in part on redevelopment funds. In Oakland, where Jerry was mayor not that long ago, redevelopment funds were integral in renovating the Fox Theater and building the entire Uptown complex that surrounds it.

http://sfist.com/2011/01/06/is_brown...ing_off_re.php

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 8:40 PM
Get me out of here

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_strangelove View Post
The renderings you see here do not reflect the final design. There is going to be a lengthy review process and the design will be perfected. I think the building as currently rendered is too bloated and is uneasy looking.
Thanks, but I am assuming that the terminal design is finalized since construction has begin. the terminal looks cool from the side angle but that venicular thing and canopy over mission square are really tacky and the interior atrium is not that impressive based on the renderings.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 10:30 PM
Skyscraper Fan

I live near San Francisco, and I know that the tower will probaly never get built, or get built by 2018. California is in real bad economic shape and skyscraper construction in California is very rare (except in San Diego).

Then I read the article Onn posted.

Thank you, Jerry Brown, with your help we will terminate construction on the Transbay Terminal complex, and we will not ever build the tower for ages and will not open up new offices for more businesses to open up in California.

I am really against Jerry Brown's decision to end redevelopment, since San Francisco really needs it. I think the whole Transbay Terminal complex should be built, for it will help San Francisco.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2011, 7:43 PM

He hasn't done anything yet, and it doesn't necessarily mean the Tower won't get built even if he does.

On the bright side, Chris Daly is gone, which will help new projects get off the ground.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 3:48 AM
Get me out of here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyscraper Sebastian View Post
skyscraper construction in California is very rare (except in San Diego).
Sorry for going off topic, but are you talking about the same San Diego that is in Southern California?? Construction/development down here is dead. Even when it was alive, I wouldn't consider any of our buildings "skyscrapers". Highrises is more like it, and I can count almost all of them on my two hands and feet.

Last edited by brantw; Jan 10, 2011 at 4:22 AM.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 4:25 AM
Skyscraper Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantw View Post
Sorry for going off topic, but are you talking about the same San Diego that is in Southern California?? Construction/development down here is dead. Even when it was alive, I wouldn't consider any of our buildings "skyscrapers". Highrises is more like it, and I can count almost all of them on my two hands and feet.
The tallest 3 buildings under-construction in California is in San Diego, and these are tall buildings (not low-rises). San Diego doesn't have a lot of skyscrapers under-construction, but it's not dead like the rest of California where NO buildings over 250 ft. are under-construction.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 4:28 AM
Skyscraper Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberEric View Post
He hasn't done anything yet, and it doesn't necessarily mean the Tower won't get built even if he does.

On the bright side, Chris Daly is gone, which will help new projects get off the ground.
Trust me, this building won't be built for years or even will be built, even if Jerry Brown does nothing about ending re-development.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2011, 5:35 PM
Get me out of here

SF's Transbay Terminal: looking beyond the rubble

Once the hub of transit for downtown San Francisco, the Transbay Terminal building is now a fresh pile of rubble that many hope will eventually become the face of the city's skyline.

Announced in May 2008, the much heralded plan would shift the city's high-density heart from the Financial District to an area south of Market Street. Construction was once scheduled to be under way by 2010.

But construction has idled while planners continue to study the development's impact on traffic on the Bay Bridge, air and water pollution and the shadows that the handful of skyscrapers would cast on the Embarcadero and other public spaces.

Under the most aggressive timeline, the city won't begin debating the details until spring and construction won't begin until late this year or early 2012, said Joshua Switzky, project manager with the city's planning department. And that's assuming the economy picks up and opponents of tall buildings don't further stall the plan.

The delay is understandable, given the scale of the proposed plan, Switzky said.

Besides the marquee 1,200-foot Transbay Tower, the plan also sets the framework for at least six other high-rise buildings in the 600- to 800- foot range that many hope will redefine that area of the city. The Transamerica building - currently the city's tallest - is 853 feet tall.

"The power of the concept of the Transbay comes from bringing such a major transit investment with such a major land-use change," said Gabriel Metcalf, executive director of San Francisco Planning and Urban Research Association, a pro-development think tank.

The new $1.2 billion Transbay Terminal near First and Mission streets will be the hub of transit for much of downtown San Francisco.

If everything goes according to plan, the terminal will be the site of San Francisco's high-speed rail station, linking regional transportation with local buses. Planners hope that having the transit center as a hub of the new development will allow higher concentrations of housing and offices without a commensurate increase in the number of cars on the road.

The terminal is expected to be finished in six to seven years, Switzky said.

"By then there could be a couple of these buildings on the ground or being built," he said.

But those high-density high rises will redefine the southern cityscape, a concern of many who appreciate the city's low-density character. The current limit for building height in that area is 550 feet.

Sue Hestor, a development attorney who has questioned the impacts of skyscrapers for decades, said she is watching the bureaucratic process.

The market for office space in San Francisco is already oversaturated, she said. Even if a developer finds the funds to construct the 1,200-foot tower, it could end up being vacant for years, she said.

"The market for that tower is no different than anything else going up in this city," she said.

Metcalf, an ardent supporter of the project, said the new towers would center thousands of workers near a transit hub, a practical way to combat the suburban sprawl that breeds gridlock and air pollution.

"It is a powerful idea," he said. "In the renaissance, the tallest building would always be the church steeple; the center of the city. For San Francisco to say our tallest building is going to be our transit center is a more wonderful idea."

Read the full article at SFGate.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2011, 6:48 AM

Im pretty sure this will get built. It would be a real shame for san francisco to not have a tall building at this point. san francisco needs to beef up its international image and remake itself into a hub of business and a leader for this century

Old Posted Jan 19, 2011, 3:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellrazor650 View Post
Im pretty sure this will get built. It would be a real shame for san francisco to not have a tall building at this point. san francisco needs to beef up its international image and remake itself into a hub of business and a leader for this century
why is that?
part of what makes san francisco unique is that it doesn't try to be new york or chicago.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
why is that?
part of what makes san francisco unique is that it doesn't try to be new york or chicago.
We need to continue competing in the world stage and attract people and business, otherwise we'll become a dying tourist town like Venice.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 7:14 PM

I think San Francisco is helped by the fact the rest of the entire Bay Area is around it. While lots of tourists do come to San Francisco, so do residents of the rest of the Bay Area.

It will never be a dying tourist town. Venice is fairly isolated with a population under 300k. San Francisco has a large finance, law, biotech, and high tech economy - along with the the rest of the Bay Area.

I'd love to see additions to the skyline, when it is economically feasible to build. But if we go 5 years without a building over 400 ft, I don't think that's the end of San Francisco.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2011, 7:47 PM
Sonoma Strong

^ a well-articulated first post. welcome to the forum.

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 2:26 AM

I second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay View Post
^ a well-articulated first post. welcome to the forum.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 4:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hruski View Post
why is that?
Building a skyscraper means being like New York or Chicago? Does having Victorians in SF mean that it is trying to be early 1800s Britain? San Francisco was one of the first American cities to build a skyscraper- around the same time as Chicago and New York. I have said this before- skyscrapers are a part of SF's heritage, and 9 times out of 10 it is Manhattan transplants that come here and block high rise development. As a California thoroughbred I say build it PROUD!

Last edited by dr_strangelove; Jan 22, 2011 at 6:47 AM.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2011, 7:44 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Demo of the western ramps has made its way just to Howard, which this is looking toward from Natoma. This section is phase 3 of the demo project. That will soon include removal of the Howard overpass, the remains of which are standing on the right:

And the center itself is still coming down:

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development