HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:00 PM

Last summer I decided to venture out to take some night shots of Denver. I took a lot of shots of buildings but thought I would hit up a pedestrian bridge and get a time lapse of I-25. These types of shots are pretty common. The fencing on the pedestrian bridge is typical chain link and the area above the mid line of the highway has a hole opened up that conveniently allows a camera lens to shoot unobstructed. Below is the shot, nice lines of white and red.

Light Barrier by Porter Yates, on Flickr

This got me thinking, what if I moved the camera and shot still lights? Could I achieve the same kind of effect? I needed a location with a lot of lights that would streak as I drove past with the shutter open. Larimer Square popped into my head.

Not my shot but you can see the grid of lights stretching over the street.

The Lights of Larimer by TIA International Photography, on Flickr

I just had to figure out how to keep the camera still while I drove. Holding it out the window wasn't going to work. I rigged my tripod in between my seats and opened my sunroof. I set the camera pointing up and estimated I would need about 15-20 seconds to cruise the street. I adjusted my settings (parked on the side of the road btw) and got my IR remote to trigger the camera when I turned onto the street. This is how the shot came out. Interesting to produce the same effect using two different methods.

Laminar On Larimer by Porter Yates, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 27, 2011, 7:39 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Thought these caught an interesting take on London...

Old Posted Apr 14, 2012, 4:24 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

not necessarily planned as in i wanted to take them but i had to (school project)

Main passage sequence through the UW's Arch building. Part of our final which was composed of hand-drawn sections, plans, axonometrics and perspectives (yeah, i know using these pictures for perspectives is cheating but i don't have time to be at UW outside of classtime!)

Another sequence, expect this time going through a stepped passage at 'The Canyon' in Seattle's Freeway Park. Again cheating but a) no time and b) i'm not doing it in the rain. 3 descending and 3 ascending.

now that i look at this picture and the previous one i feel as if they should have more differences. maybe a different angle?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2012, 2:08 PM
Oak City

A guy I know moved into the recently completed Vue condo tower. There were only 7 or so people moved in at the time. He sends me an email and says he can get me up to the top level (51st floor I believe). We meet up and he gets me a couple other photo friends past front desk security. Once inside, the doors on the two top floor units are not locked. The units are not finished and are bare concrete. The balcony gave a great view. This photo is stitched from several images (that's why the roads appear curved, it's almost like a fisheye effect.)

A year or so earlier, a friend had just got his private pilot license. He belonged to a flying club at a small airport about an hour drive from Charlotte. He took me and another photog friend up for some Charlotte photos in the club's Cessna. We were flying about 2000 feet above downtown. There was a street festival going on and, with the plane's windows open, we could smell funnel cake. It was one of the most fun days I've had in Charlotte.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 2:28 PM
3rd Coast King

From a birthday party I was paid to shoot. This is my best friends son. He just turned 5 and had a super hero costume party.

Sammy Vader by DiskoJoe, on Flickr

My Book

Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 7:04 PM
Editor

This one should qualify lol!

Kirby by Surrealplaces, on Flickr

On a more serious note

I made a trip out to this spot just for this one shot

Swoosh! by Surrealplaces, on Flickr

Old Posted Apr 26, 2012, 7:45 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

damn initiald, your friend has nice views!

recent school 'field trip' to study Gasworks Park. we'll be designing a lookout tower which i believe is for our final.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography