HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 1:39 AM

Canon 5D Mark III vs Nikon D800

I'm deciding to upgrade my camera from Rebel T1i to 5D Mark III or Nikon D800, but I'm having trouble to decide which camera. So, I need your personal opinion on both cameras.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:53 AM

No complaints with the 5D mk III. I've taken about 3500 shots with it, some things I've noticed:

The AF is excellent. Focusing is extremely fast and the camera does a great job in the dark.
High ISO has very little noise. I was using the 7D previously and would notice sensor noise at anything above 1,000. Shots from ISOs higher than 3200 were pretty unusable. The new 5D can be pushed to 6400 or higher. I took this a few days ago at ISO 5000.

Sorry I don't have a larger version accessible.The image is a Jpeg so there was extra noise reduction performed in camera. I like that the camera can record to both CF and SD, I shoot raws to one card and jpegs to another.
The FPS are a step down from my 7D but I don't feel much of a difference. The silent shooting mode is really nice, almost inaudible at a few feet.
I haven't even messed with the video but the camera has some new features from previous canons.

I have no experience with the D800 so I'll let someone who has used one weigh in with their thoughts. I would recommend the 5D mk III, overall it has been a great buy. Do you have a significant investment in glass? Might affect your decision? What sort of things do you like shooting?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okayyou View Post
No complaints with the 5D mk III. I've taken about 3500 shots with it, some things I've noticed:

The AF is excellent. Focusing is extremely fast and the camera does a great job in the dark.
High ISO has very little noise. I was using the 7D previously and would notice sensor noise at anything above 1,000. Shots from ISOs higher than 3200 were pretty unusable. The new 5D can be pushed to 6400 or higher. I took this a few days ago at ISO 5000.

Sorry I don't have a larger version accessible.The image is a Jpeg so there was extra noise reduction performed in camera. I like that the camera can record to both CF and SD, I shoot raws to one card and jpegs to another.
The FPS are a step down from my 7D but I don't feel much of a difference. The silent shooting mode is really nice, almost inaudible at a few feet.
I haven't even messed with the video but the camera has some new features from previous canons.

I have no experience with the D800 so I'll let someone who has used one weigh in with their thoughts. I would recommend the 5D mk III, overall it has been a great buy. Do you have a significant investment in glass? Might affect your decision? What sort of things do you like shooting?
What do you mean glass? I like to shoot architecture, nature, landscape, people, animals, and sports.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2012, 4:22 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Glass = lenses

Keep in mind, the 5D has a different sensor size than your Rebel.

I think some base lenses on the Rebel may not work properly on the 5D. You might want to consider the 7D instead.

If you're switching to Nikon, you obviously have to re-invest $$$ into new lenses.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 10:06 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Correct. EF-S lenses will not work on the 5D but EF lenses still will.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2012, 11:06 PM
Ex Houstonian

Nikon D800, because its sexier.

Old Posted Jun 28, 2012, 1:43 PM
恭喜发财!

Given the choice, I'd take the 5D III. I much prefer Canon ergonomics to Nikon, and given that the 5D III is almost identical in design to the 7D which I own (and which I find to be damn near perfect ergonomically) I can only imagine that it would be much the same.

But if you've got a bunch of EF-S lenses, you'd be better going with a 7D so that you can still use those lenses, otherwise you'll have to start from scratch. Even if you have EF lenses, you will find that your lenses won't have as much 'reach' on a 5D due to the lack of the 1.6x crop factor that's found on APS-C sensor DSLRs.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 12:09 AM

That is what I'm going to do, buying it from scratch.

Old Posted Jun 29, 2012, 2:33 AM
So very tired...

Both are fantastic cameras. Both will do all you need and more. Just go to a camera store, hold them both in your hand, and go with the one that feels best.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 3:48 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Lastly, and I'm not directing this at you since I've never seen any photos from you, don't run out and buy a near top of the line camera expecting it to magically make your photos amazing just because you saw someone else use that model of camera with great results.

It would be wise to learn how to use a camera (any camera) first before putting in a $$$ investment. It irks me a bit when I travel and see tourists with 5D's set on full auto mode. It's like that thing in "Gone in 60 Seconds", where Nicolas Cage is stealing cars to "free" the cars from owners that just would never let the cars do what they are designed to do, lol.

Flickr®

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 3:50 PM
So very tired...

^ My favorite thing about the D800...there is no auto mode

Old Posted Jul 1, 2012, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
Lastly, and I'm not directing this at you since I've never seen any photos from you, don't run out and buy a near top of the line camera expecting it to magically make your photos amazing just because you saw someone else use that model of camera with great results.

It would be wise to learn how to use a camera (any camera) first before putting in a $$$ investment. It irks me a bit when I travel and see tourists with 5D's set on full auto mode. It's like that thing in "Gone in 60 Seconds", where Nicolas Cage is stealing cars to "free" the cars from owners that just would never let the cars do what they are designed to do, lol.
I already know how to use a camera, never use auto mode ever.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulliver View Post
^ My favorite thing about the D800...there is no auto mode
I've found one useful application for full auto. I know how to use my camera but when I've handed my camera to someone that knows nothing about photography, usually to take a shot of me, the shot is often ruined. I used back button focus and trying to explain to someone whose first language isn't English that they have to focus with a separate button first, then take the photo is just too difficult. I switch it to full auto and let them shoot away, it produces much better results.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 4:04 AM
Ex Houstonian

I find that most auto settings on most camera bodies create less than accurate results. They are usually overblown and or the white balance is off. Even when I first started doing photography 8 years ago with my Nikon D70, I never put it in any auto mode. I always from the start did full manual with shutter speed and aperture. With digital its super easy to learn how to shoot in manual modes. After a while you just know what to set the camera at to get the results you want no matter what the lighting situation is.

I would comment more on the 5d, but I really no nothing at all about Canon equipment. I only really know Nikon and other off brand lenses like Sigma, Tokina, etc. I do remember however when first buying a digital SLR way back in 2004 I used both Nikons and Canons and liked Nikons ergonomics much much better. Their in camera settings are much more easy to navigate as well imo. Plus I just think Nikon makes way better looking cameras and glass. If you want to get down to the bare bones of it all; Canon makes damn good lenses and cameras as does Nikon. Theres really no discernable difference with the quality of their lenses or cameras, at least thats been my experience. They just look different and one lens mounts counter clockwise, the other clockwise; thats about it I have a Nikon D700 and its absolutely amazing, much better than my D200 which I bought way back in 2005. The D800 is kind of the replacement for the D700 but not really.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2012, 5:03 AM
Paramoderator

Though, one thing to note: Canon makes some absolutely spectacular tilt shift lenses, which are amazing for architectural photography. Besides that, though, the two cameras are pretty similar.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2012, 2:58 PM
3rd Coast King

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimReaper View Post
I'm deciding to upgrade my camera from Rebel T1i to 5D Mark III or Nikon D800, but I'm having trouble to decide which camera. So, I need your personal opinion on both cameras.
Seriously, I hate you!

My Book

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > General Photography