Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 3:32 PM

Here are a few more.

calisphere

calisphere

calisphere

calisphere

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 4:18 PM

columbia square

and just down sunset boulevard east of vine street NBC's rival, CBS's Columbia Square design by William Lescaze

Grand opening night 1938

USC Digital Archives

site under construction 1937

LAPL

Sunset Boulevard elevation 1939

LAPL

sunset boulevard night time elevation 1939

columbia square cut away image

California State Library

columbia square noir

LAPL

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 4:32 PM

going back to page 42 and Ciro's

ciro's cigarette girl 1940

Calishere

ciro's entry 1940

LAPL

just your average southern california suburban couples out for date night at ciro's

USC Digital Archives

Last edited by gsjansen; Jun 19, 2010 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 4:42 PM

07/2016 I'm surprised so many of the photographs are missing. I'll try to replace them. Sorry for the inconvenience.

For years I've wondered what the interior of the Earl Carroll Theater looked like during it's heyday.
I finally came across these great photos a few weeks ago.

calisphere

calisphere

calisphere

calisphere

calisphere

calisphere

calisphere

calisphere

calisphere

calisphere

calisphere

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 24, 2016 at 12:45 AM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 5:12 PM

Here are a few more.

Below: The stage area.

calisphere

Below: A detail of the stage area.

calisphere

Below: Another great photo of the bar area.

calisphere

Below: The telephone room.

calisphere

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 5:14 PM

earl carroll, moulin rouge, hullabaloo, kaleidoscope, aquarius, nickelodeon........

these are the names that venue has been known as,

during the 1960's when it was still known as the moulin rouge, the most depressing television game show ever, queen for a day was filmed here

unknown

when it was the aquarius, the doors recorded their live from the Aquarius here. in 1969 the exterior got a new paint job for the play hair which played here for several years. The exterior painting was done by the dutch outfit known as the fool, the same folks who painted the exterior of the beatles shop in london

unknown

here's a scan from the book Dreams of Laurel Canyon showing the Fool paint job on the sunset boulevard elevation. this is where the wall of fame used to be

from the same book is a scan of the band the turtles by the wall of fame when it was the hullabaloo club, (yes this is the place where they taped the television show hullabaloo)

Earl Carroll noir 1939 looking se across sunset boulevard from NBC

LAPL

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 5:46 PM
Unicorn Wizard!

Man, how I love the architecture of those 1930s studios. Streamline art moderne kicks ass.

Is that Ronald Reagan? I guess in 1940 he would have been in Hollywood. I feel like I am wrong and am going to sound like a huge idiot, but that is who the dude second to left looks like to me anyways. I'm not versed in ancient hollywood celebrity history like some people.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Man, how I love the architecture of those 1930s studios. Streamline art moderne kicks ass.

Is that Ronald Reagan? I guess in 1940 he would have been in Hollywood. I feel like I am wrong and am going to sound like a huge idiot, but that is who the dude second to left looks like to me anyways. I'm not versed in ancient hollywood celebrity history like some people.
you're correct, that is nancy davis and ronald reagan before they were married, out on a double date with mr. and mrs. dean martin circa 1952

note the smoke nancy is holding................just say no.................................

Old Posted Jun 19, 2010, 7:50 PM

a couple of interior lobby photos of the edison building, (one bunker hill)

LAPL

ceiling detail

LAPL

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 12:30 AM

Mansion on right

What about the mansion on the right? It is seen here and in another older view from Poundcake Hill. Was it also on Hill Place? What family built it?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 2:25 AM

what is the history of the house on the right in this photograph?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 4:19 AM

Wow. The George Mann photo below "Second Street and South Grand".
Isn't that the Frontenac north of the Hotel Melrose? If so, that would be where my greatgrandfather Daniel Webster McMillan lived in 1918.

Great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRCRASH View Post
Apparantely they newly found, previously unpublished photos by George Mann. Absolutely stunning.

More can be found here:http://www.onbunkerhill.org/georgemann

Angels Flight from Third and Hill:

On Bunker Hill by George Mann

Second Street and South Grand:

South Olive:

Fourth Street and Bunker Hill Avenue:

The Rossmere at First and Hope:

525 W. Second:

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 6:09 AM

Oops. Think not. Going back to previous posts, the Frontenac would be just to the right (south) of 2nd street. The Melrose was across from what is now Disney Hall. Am I getting this right?

Thanks for all of the wonderful images everyone. This is my weekend activity now.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 3:04 PM

From the Pyrenees to Hollywood

GSV Jan 2019
131 S. Boyle Avenue

Los Encinos State Historic Park

I seem to keep running into actress Sharon Gless. While I knew she was a native Angeleno, with forebears figuring in the history of L.A.--there is a Gless Street on the east side of the river--I wasn't aware of just how illustrious her extended family was in terms of that history. She grew up on Muirfield Road in Hancock Park (in the house her mother, daughter of entertainment lawyer Neil McCarthy, grew up in); nearby in Windsor Square and frequently mentioned in architecture guides is another Gless house, this one designed by Arthur Heineman and built by her great grandmother at 627 S Ardmore before being moved to the southwest corner of Plymouth and 6th in the '30s, where it still stands. (I can find no vintage image of it to post.) Researching the origins of this house led me to Boyle Heights and the discovery of Los Angeles's newest Cultural-Heritage Landmark: yet another Gless house, this one at 131 S. Boyle Avenue, seen at top.

Los Encinos State Historic Park
Simon and Juanita Amestoy Gless--their wedding photograph.

Simon Francois Gless, Sharon's great grandfather, built the Boyle Heights house soon after inheriting the property from his uncle, Gaston Oxarart, who died in 1886. Gless farmed the land for a while; the family retained the property until 1916, when it became part of the Hebrew Shelter Home and Asylum. Included in the legacy from Uncle Gaston was a bonus--the Rancho Los Encinos, which Uncle Gaston had acquired from Eugene Garnier (of the Garnier Block at the Plaza), who had gone bankrupt. Gless married Juanita Amestoy in 1889, and, preferring the Heights of Boyle, sold the ranch to his father-in-law, Domingo Amestoy...later, of course, the ranch became that jewel of the San Fernando Valley, Encino. Anyway, it seems that after Simon died in 1903, Juanita tired of Boyle Heights and commissioned Arthur Heineman to build 627 S Ardmore. She later sold it to department-store magnate John G. Bullock, who a few years later moved it to Windsor Square next door to one he'd just moved from 3200 Wilshire Boulevard (check it out here). By all accounts the Glesses and Amestoys were close, but if one is in a noirish frame of mind while reading the history of the Valley--so fraught with Chandler/Mulholland/Chinatown intrigue--it's hard to shake the idea that the Amestoys might have had ulterior motives in allowing Juanita to marry Simon. Were they after the Encino property all along? It was conveyed to them within months of Juanita and Simon's marriage, and Simon declared bankruptcy about 10 years later. In any case--even if indirectly--he left Juanita enough money to build an architecturally significant house even if she only lived in it a few years.

Interestingly, the Glesses, the Oxararts, and the Amestoys were apparently all French Basques who emigrated first to Argentina, and then, so the story goes, all arrived in Southern California on the same ship.

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; May 21, 2019 at 10:41 AM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 9:25 PM

some Dick Whittington aerials over the years

the gold standard for los angeles aerial photography over the years is Dick Whittington Studios.

here are some aerials that focus on the west side of bunker hill generally centered on an area between sunset boulevard to the north, figueroa to the west, 2nd street to the south, and grand avenue to the east.

these aerials were taken between 1946 and 1971.

all images are USC Digital Archives

looking east 1946

looking east 1959

looking north/east 1952

looking north/east 1962

looking north/east 1963

looking north/east 1964

looking north/east 1971

this last aerial is a long range shot looking east towards downtown from the wilshire business district. it was taken in 1970

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 11:09 PM

gsjansen--Great pictures. Somewhere in at least one of those Whittington shots might be the Oliver house. Do you think we'll ever find out more about it?

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 17, 2010 at 2:16 PM.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 11:18 PM

gsjansen--Great pictures. Somewhere in at least one of those Whittington shots might be the Oliver house. Do you think we'll ever find out more about it?

Old Posted Jun 20, 2010, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
i haven't as of yet been been able to find out anymore about the Oliver residence........but Beaudry might have something to share.

here is his last paragraph in his 6/15/10 "144 S. Grand Revealed" post over at onbunkerhill.org

(Speaking of modern structures on the Hill, remind me sometime to tell y'all about 353 South Hope. The Stuart K. Oliver residence was built on the site of the Hildreth mansion's adjacent carriage house ca. 1952, and Oliver didn't want to sell or move. Stalled the CRA for years. The house was demolished around 1969.)

ok beaudry, consider this sometime and now's i'm remindin' ya! do tell....do tell!

the house is visible in all except the 1971 north/east aerial views above, (most notably the 1964 image)

here is the link to my original posting about the Stuart K. Oliver House

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=1314

Last edited by gsjansen; Jun 21, 2010 at 10:35 AM.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2010, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post

The original Perino's was at 3927 Wilshire, beginning in '32. I really like how the sort of French Norman thing meets the sort of Streamline Moderne thing. That should happen more often.

The architectural firm of Morgan, Walls & Clements who designed the building above apparently agreed with you

Mullen & Bluett stor , located at 3639 Wilshire at Harvard

California Sate Library

Columbia clothing shop at 6332 Hollywood Blvd. near Vine

California State Library

of course they also dabbled in quite a bit of diverse cultural inspired design themes throughout los angeles...........................

such as;

farmers and merchants bank 4th and main

LAPL

Bullard building at spring and court, (or is it franklin?)

LAPL

Hotel Nadeau 1st and spring

LAPL

Ralphs hollywood 5711 Hollywood Boulevard

LAPL

The Dominguez Wilshire Building located in the Miracle Mile

LAPL

Samson tire and rubber company located at at 5675 Telegraph Road, City of Commerce, (it's now the Citadel outlets)

LAPL

The Pellissier Building at wilshire and western

LAPL

The Leimert Theatre, located at 3341 W. 43rd Place

LAPL

oh yeah....................and this building as well

LAPL

Old Posted Jun 22, 2010, 5:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

...Interestingly, the Glesses, the Oxararts, and the Amestoys were apparently all French Basques who emigrated first to Argentina, and then, so the story goes, all arrived in Southern California on the same ship. And people here in NY ask why I love Los Angeles....
Very interesting history. I wouldn't have guessed that Gless was a Basque name.

The Basques actually have a long history in Calfornia, even many of the French settlers were actually ethnic Basques.

Great pictures and posts yet again! I haven't really been going into this thread for the past week or so because I've been busy with family visiting from Hawaii. Now I can give it more than just a quick glance.

~ Charles Bukowski

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos