HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 6:30 PM

Here is Engine Company No 28 sporting an AMC Gremlin

LAPL

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 8:17 PM

Well, cork, just for the record, that's a Pacer, not a Gremlin....

John Parkinson also did Engine House #18 (1904) in West Adams, stylistic precursor to #28:

Google Street View
2616 S. Hobart

I read somewhere that the city made some sort of deal with the Wilshire Grand, or maybe Hilton or Statler before it, to close #28 as an active firehouse. I suppose sirens and sleeping don't really go that well together....

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Apr 2, 2011 at 9:38 PM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2011, 9:29 PM

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5106/...148980bc_z.jpg

I was trying to find something about Bunker Hill in all my albums, but the closest thing I could come up with was this painting we have on the wall in our bedroom by Leo Politi who became famous for his paintings of Olivera street and Bunker Hill.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 1:30 AM

Sorry for the crappy screen grabs, which are really just me taking a picture of my monitor with a camera. I have an iMac, on which of course you can just hit command + shift + 3 and it'll do a screen grab, but it doesn't work if you have the DVD player running, those Mac bastards. But anyway, I went to Glendale today to the "Mildred Pierce" neighborhood and took pictures. I hope what's said in this paragraph takes care of the photo credits.

"We lived on Corvallis Street where all the houses looked alike. Ours was number 1143."

The tree has really grown tall, hasn't it.

"...I never knew any other kind of life; just cooking and washing and having children--two girls, Veda and Consuelo." Just kidding. "Two girls, Veda and Kay."

Here's Kay, acting like a peasant, per Veda. I love Ann Blyth, by the way.

Today, the kids would be playing over a speed hump.

I couldn't get the same perspective as the above shot, I would have to stand on private property to do so. But behind the trees, you can see the same house across the street from the film.

It's actually quite a charming neighborhood, all nestled in the foothills, and downtown Glendale isn't far at all-- location, location, location. I don't think Veda should've been ashamed of living in Glendale; I looked it up on zillow.com, her shack is worth over half a million dollars right now.

And of course the real address of the house is 1143 N. Jackson Street.

A few streets away, I passed by this really cool-looking apartment building. I thought it was very film-noirish.

Wouldn't it be great to say that you live at the Louise Dryden Apartments? At first I wondered about the name, until I realized that this is at the corner of Louise and Dryden Streets.

Mildred's fictional diner was located on Glenoaks Boulevard; even that street isn't far away from this area at all. I took this picture through my dirty windshield.

I'll end this post with a picture of a PE car in Glendale in the early 1950s, making a right from Glenoaks onto Brand Blvd. to head south.

uncanny.net

~ Charles Bukowski

Last edited by sopas ej; Apr 3, 2011 at 1:50 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 1:51 AM

So Gaylord, who plays Ida in the Kate Winslet "Mildred"? I could totally see Joan Cusack in that role. And is there a Butterfly McQueen character?

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 2:13 AM

LAFD photos

I love the photos in the LAFD Hsitorical Archive Galleries, both of the stations and of famous fires,
many of which I've enjoyed seeing in past posts on this thread, like the LA Times, the Shrine, etc.
Don't remember seeing this one before, forgive me if it was previously posted. Its a great shot, palms and all, of flames eating up Hollywood Park Racetrack stadium in 1949.

http://www.lafire.com/stations/PhotoGallery.htm

This photo of Engine Co28 on south Figueroa is awesome. Couldn't find anything about the fine arts gallery next door, what a great facade and front entry!

LAFIRE.COM

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 2:18 AM

Wow I really love that Engine Co. No. 28 photo! Oh mah gah!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 3:08 AM

Excellent comparative photographs on Corvallis Street Sopas_ej!!

I was very impressed with the Louise Dryden Apartments as well.
Man oh man, if those walls could talk. Everything about it says 'Los Angeles noir'.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 4, 2011 at 2:05 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 3:30 AM

sopas

FANTASTIC set of Corvallis Street shots. Thank you for making a record of it for us here. As for Ida--Mare Winningham is a very good actress not seen often enough, but she has a thankless role (at least, so far) in this new Mildred Pierce as Ida. Not at all like Eve, but maybe closer to the book's Ida. After seeing the first two parts of the new MP, I'm thinking they should have just tried to remake the movie--but NOT with the inept Haynes as director--Cusack would have been excellent if they had. As for Butterfly--an actress named Marin Ireland plays a character named Letty (vs. McQueen's Lottie) who helps Mildred bake pies. Like most of the rest of the supporting cast, she has little personality in the director's hands. He's too busy slobbering the over period sets to shape the performances, much less move the story along. Not that I've ever made a movie myself, mind you.... but I can tell the difference between a good one and a bad one. 1945: good. 2011: not.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 3:37 AM

Must echo Gaylord - excellent set of photos there! Thanks!

BTW, I have a Mac, too, and if you use VLC to play your DVDs, Command + Shift + 3 works fine for screengrabs. Give it a whirl!

-Scott

Last edited by Los Angeles Past; Jun 13, 2012 at 4:41 AM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 7:41 PM

Possible photos...

I am hoping that someone, at this site, might have picture(s) of the 100 block of South Hope Street...specifically 116. It was called the Bunker Hill Hotel in the 50's. My (biological) mother lived there when I was born (at the old General Hospital)...in 1934. It would be great to see the entire block...perhaps an old aerial...whatever would be appreciated. Thanks, RBPJR

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 11:50 PM

The bunker hill hotel 116-120 south hope street

Source: LAPL

here's an aerial looking east on 1st street across bunker hill. the bunker hill hotel, along with the 100 block of south hope street is visible just below center to the right side of the photograph

(i know this photograph is on the USC Digital Archive site, i just can't seem to locate the actual source for it right now)

Last edited by gsjansen; Apr 4, 2011 at 12:09 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 2:09 AM

Oh wow, great job, gsjansen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post

BTW, I have a Mac, too, and if you use VLC to play your DVDs, Command + Shift + 3 works fine for screengrabs. Give it a whirl!

-Scott
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 2:46 AM

Update: HBO Mildred Pierce, part 3

Sorry to report that all the production designer thought necessary to suggest Southern California in part 3 were a couple of banana leaves and a single wan Florida palm...other than that, it's pure Long Island. And that's the good news. Winslet tries, but Crawford got the script, the director, and the Oscar. This is just a complete mess. Take me back to Corvallis Street!

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 12:48 PM

one more image of the old times building, and the state building sharing the same site. This is a 1934 view looking west on 1st street from spring showing the demolition of the Times Building

Source: LAPL

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 4:13 PM

Mildred never visited Irvine, that's for sure!

By comparison, Corvallis is a wild preserve of diverse architectural delight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

"We lived on Corvallis Street where all the houses looked alike. Ours was number 1143."

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 8:19 PM

Berkeley Square emerges pictorially, if slowly

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jun 8, 2011 at 11:07 AM.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2011, 10:25 PM

Good memories there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
One of the readers comments in the above article mentioned
the Spanish Kitchen Restaurant mystery on Melrose.

This brought me way back.
I remember looking in the windows of the extremely spooky Spanish Kitchen.
Everything was just as it was in the 1930s or 1940s (plates on the tables..coats on hooks..old newspapers.. etc).

Does anyone here remember this place?
It was in the vicinity of El Coyote.....but on the north side of the street.
Back around 1947-48...our family would eat there often...it was one of my father's favorite restaurants. I was a teenager at the time. I remember several panels separating groups of tables. Sometimes the waiter would disappear behind a panel never to be seen again. The food was terrific and very spicy...which my dad loved!

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 12:01 AM

That's pretty cool 'rbpjr'! I wish I could find a photograph of the Spanish Kitchen.

There was also an old school Chinese restaurant across from El Coyote (if I remember correctly).
It was in an old building building similar to the Spanish Kitchen. There was a small parking area in the back and you entered the building by walking through the kitchen. The kitchen was always steamy and very loud with all the cooks chopping chopping chopping.
I'm surprised the health department allowed the customers to enter through the kitchen.
There was also the front entrance if you were lucky enough to get street parking.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Apr 5, 2011 at 1:13 AM.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2011, 12:29 AM

William Reagh/LAPL

jody 9
ca. 1980

Google Street View
The current occupants have made use of the old sign....

This was the Spanish Kitchen at 7373 Beverly Blvd.....

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Apr 5, 2011 at 12:40 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos