HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 3:17 AM

WINNIPEG | Canad Place (Radisson Hotel & Somerset Redevelopment)

Kick starting a new thread for the planned redevelopment of the by Cadad inns for the Radisson and Somerset buildings.

Quote:
Somerset Building denied heritage tag
By: Joyanne Pursaga Posted: 05/6/2020 6:05 PM

The 113-year-old Somerset Building will not receive a heritage designation after all.

Only six councillors voted to grant that status for two stone façades of the Portage Avenue structure on Wednesday, while 10 opted against it.

The building’s owner told councillors a heritage designation threatened to interfere with a planned $150-million development known as Canad Place, which would include the building.

That’s because being added to the city’s historical resources list, which can protect a building against demolition, would also create a need for additional permits and approvals to alter it, said Lea Ledohowski, president of the Canad Inns hotel chain.

"Each of these encumbrances has a negative impact on the property value and a negative impact on redevelopment opportunities," said Ledohowski.

The building owner previously told city councillors the Somerset is part of a broader development plan that also includes the Radisson Hotel and Metropolitan Entertainment Centre, which could eventually offer a mix of retail, restaurants and new hotel room space, though details are still being worked out.

Coun. Brian Mayes (St. Vital) argued the building should be protected.

"I think if we’re being true to the principles of heritage here we would designate the westerly façade and the north façade," said Mayes.

By contrast, Coun. Janice Lukes (Waverley West) argued the Somerset doesn’t warrant heritage status because it’s been altered more than 80 times since it was built, replacing many of its original elements in the process.

Mayor Brian Bowman said he struggled with the decision before also voting against the designation.

"The significance of the changes that have been made over the many, many decades was something that I found persuasive," said Bowman.

Joyanne.pursaga@freepress.mb.ca
https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...570255732.html

https://twitter.com/CanadNation/stat...698112513?s=20

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Last edited by Wpg_Guy; May 7, 2020 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 1:41 PM

Just this year Canad finished the connection between the Radisson and Somerset, so you can walk from the hotel to the arena indoors with corresponding interior renovations. I think the top floor of Somerset is now meeting rooms for the Radisson because of the connection. If I remember, the walkway is on the 8th floor of Somerset, then you have to go down to the 2nd to go to the arena.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 1:46 PM

i can't imagine a company i would trust less to get this right for downtown

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 2:26 PM

I will cautiously submit that, right now, I feel this was the right decision. Yes CanadInns has been less than inspiring with the Northstar Inn (sorry, the Radisson....I'm that old) but they did a good job with The Met. I am hoping the forces that drove the latter are what drive this current project. On a side note, I hope the project includes updating the current signage on the front and side of the building-it looks cheap, more suited to a small suburban strip mall than a downtown building.

HOWEVER a redevelopment of the corner could be a very good thing for the city, especially if it adds some entertainment venues for the SHED district.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 4:12 PM

It depends if we're using the The MET or an Aalto's buffet as the barometer by which we level our expectations. If this project comes in somewhere in between, we're smelling like roses.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 4:16 PM
Back from the dead

So, uh, what does a 150 million buy exactly?

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 4:17 PM

The renovation of the heritage portion of The Met was fantastic (aided by lots of grants), but the design of the entrance annex is quite brutal and doesn't fit well. I don't have much faith that whatever connections/renovations/additions Canad makes to this complex will be nice on the eyes.

I mean just look at the new OFE Opportunities For Employment sign they allowed to go up on Somerset – that thing is a monstrosity!! [I'll try and take a pic soon]

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
The renovation of the heritage portion of The Met was fantastic (aided by lots of grants), but the design of the entrance annex is quite brutal and doesn't fit well. I don't have much faith that whatever connections/renovations/additions Canad makes to this complex will be nice on the eyes.

I mean just look at the new OFE Opportunities For Employment sign they allowed to go up on Somerset – that thing is a monstrosity!! [I'll try and take a pic soon]
the only reason the Met turned out the way it did was because they had to live with its heritage designation. that's why they fought so hard on the somerset, they want to give it the full CanadInns treatment. I predict cultured stone veneer and EIFS, lol

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 5:12 PM
BANNED

terrified to see what they do with this.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 7:40 PM

Why is so much effort being put into redeveloping buildings downtown instead of building over the myriad of empty parking lots in the area?

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 7:53 PM
BANNED

^ they're too profitable. lots of cities tax them at higher rates or make them do a bunch of beautification to help.. wish we could do more with that at least. we have lots of parking lots, but we especially have lots of absolutely disgusting looking ones.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
Why is so much effort being put into redeveloping buildings downtown instead of building over the myriad of empty parking lots in the area?
Parking lot owners do not want to sell.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 9:23 PM

Does CanadInns own the narrow lot that spans the whole block immediately south of the Met? Someone needs to hunt down the renders they showed at the council meeting.

It's interesting, I've talked a few owners of heritage buildings over the last few years who say Heritage Winnipeg has been great to deal with and very helpful, and are glad they have some heritage status because they can sometimes leverage resources when needed. Where it seems to get dicey with HW is inserting themselves in projects too late or slapping a protection on a building that's clearly not worthy.

Somerset should at least have the facade protected.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 9:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post

Somerset should at least have the facade protected.
Definitely.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 5:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Wins View Post
Because parking lots are almost never for sale and are too valuable as parking.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Just this year Canad finished the connection between the Radisson and Somerset, so you can walk from the hotel to the arena indoors with corresponding interior renovations. I think the top floor of Somerset is now meeting rooms for the Radisson because of the connection. If I remember, the walkway is on the 8th floor of Somerset, then you have to go down to the 2nd to go to the arena.
I haven't been in the Radisson for many years. But I think it's first floor lobby then the next floor is 8. The rest in between is parkade. Likely the reason for the odd arrangement.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 3:43 PM

Haven't been to the Radisson in years either, but there was also an entrance on the skywalk level from the Somerset into the Radisson parkade. You could then take the parking elevator down to the Radisson lobby to access the hotel. (The hotel elevators do not stop in the parkade). Not sure if access from the skywalk level is still there.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 4:29 PM
Starring as himself

It’s hard to imagine what they could have in mind. I take it that they’re not planning to demolish the Somerset Building - that’s not entirely clear from the article unless I missed it. The massing of the Somerset is one of the last remaining landmark features from the heyday of the south side of Portage. I’m not sure that the detailing of the building necessarily matters too much although who knows what could be in store.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 12:33 AM

There's one obvious answer, and I know we're all thinking it:

The waterpark is finally happening.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I haven't been in the Radisson for many years. But I think it's first floor lobby then the next floor is 8. The rest in between is parkade. Likely the reason for the odd arrangement.
The first functioning floor would be 11 for banquets..12 is the cafe and former grand dining room now banquet and 13 the lounge..Floors 15 - 29 are hotel rooms..30 is open for a rooftop rest that never occurred.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan