HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 7:31 PM

^ I beleive it's only lasted as long as it has due to federal/provincial funding.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2016, 1:10 AM
Ach, du.

Home for the Holidays.

Swift Current, SK

IMG_5909 by Dyllan Kaufmann, on Flickr

IMG_5903 by Dyllan Kaufmann, on Flickr

IMG_5899 by Dyllan Kaufmann, on Flickr

IMG_5895 by Dyllan Kaufmann, on Flickr

IMG_5889 by Dyllan Kaufmann, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 4:24 AM

RM of Hanover estimating their pop @ 18000...
No wonder the highways around here are congested.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 10:40 PM

Where is Hanover?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2016, 11:03 PM

Hanover is adjacent to Steinbach, North, South, West sides...Labroquerie RM is on the East side and has roughly 8-10000 ppl in the rm.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2016, 2:31 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

yea grown allot down there crazy i go out there least once a week. should see all the new houses

Old Posted Mar 14, 2016, 3:06 PM

It seems hard to believe in this commodity price environment, but Karnalyte appears to have lined up nearly C$1 billion of financing from India for its proposed potash mine at Wynyard, SK.

http://www.stockhouse.com/news/press...roximately-700

Old Posted Mar 15, 2016, 2:12 PM

SP story on the Wynyard project. This quote is actually true, plus they can take advantage of the skilled companies and workers coming off the K+S mine at Bethune. They are both solution mines.

Quote:
“It’s a great time for us to build now, when the market is at its lowest and we can get all of our equipment and all of our steel — everything — at bargain basement prices,” he said. “This is the time when we should be building, and GSFC and the Indian government and the Indian state bank all agree.”
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...mine-this-fall

Last edited by Stormer; Apr 25, 2016 at 11:04 PM.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 10:34 PM

NEB approves Enbridge Line 3 pipeline replacement

This is awesome for SK and to a lesser extent MB. SK not only gets most of the $7.5 billion project but also most of the steel and pipe will be made at Evraz Steel in Regina, which really needs the work.

It still has to be approved by PM Oprah's cabinet. BTW both Trudeau and Rona Ambrose will be in Regina tomorrow. Ambrose will be here to support the energy and pipeline industries and PM Oprah will ignore those industries and meet with First Nations leaders.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/enbr...atch-1.3551964

Old Posted Apr 25, 2016, 11:19 PM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
This is awesome for SK and to a lesser extent MB. SK not only gets most of the $7.5 billion project but also most of the steel and pipe will be made at Evraz Steel in Regina, which really needs the work.

It still has to be approved by PM Oprah's cabinet. BTW both Trudeau and Rona Ambrose will be in Regina tomorrow. Ambrose will be here to support the energy and pipeline industries and PM Oprah will ignore those industries and meet with First Nations leaders.

Both topics are important... Check out the following chart for how the percentage of of the population that are FN has shifted:

As of 2011 it was 15.6% and still growing. It's reaching critical mass for having to actually deal with some of the issues in the system and nowhere is it more important than in Sask and Man. Other provinces can "afford" to continue to sweep the issues under the rug (which is partially why it's never been on the Federal radar). Imagine what the Sask economy would look like with a FN contingent that is just as involved in the labour and academic markets as non-FN people. Our economy is massively underperforming with that measure in mind.

As it's a Federal responsibility, we should actually be pretty happy that there could be some change/improvement.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post

Both topics are important... Check out the following chart for how the percentage of of the population that are FN has shifted:

As of 2011 it was 15.6% and still growing. It's reaching critical mass for having to actually deal with some of the issues in the system and nowhere is it more important than in Sask and Man. Other provinces can "afford" to continue to sweep the issues under the rug (which is partially why it's never been on the Federal radar). Imagine what the Sask economy would look like with a FN contingent that is just as involved in the labour and academic markets as non-FN people. Our economy is massively underperforming with that measure in mind.

As it's a Federal responsibility, we should actually be pretty happy that there could be some change/improvement.
Of course FN issues are very important but they will get worse if the economy goes in the tank. Also I don't believe idemographic predictions that just assume past birth rates will continue indefinitely. Birth rates always fall as incomes rise. In fact the stats quoted indicate they have already started leveling off.

My big complaint about Trudeau is that he seems to always look for someone to empathize with rather than solving problems like how to get our products to market.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 7:37 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Nice "one up on you" statement. Probably too tempting to resist.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Nice "one up on you" statement. Probably too tempting to resist.
I honestly just wanted to get you guys interested. There should be a billion dollars worth of construction in MB.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 12:55 AM

On another note a new study on wait times came out and put Saskatchewan on top with the shortest wait times in the country. Congrats to Brad Wall and the SaskParty on this achievement.
http://cjme.com/article/612124/study...-surgery-waits

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:40 AM
Hmm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by micheal View Post
On another note a new study on wait times came out and put Saskatchewan on top with the shortest wait times in the country. Congrats to Brad Wall and the SaskParty on this achievement.
http://cjme.com/article/612124/study...-surgery-waits
It was really just throwing money at the problem when we had it... I'm curious to see if they've brought it down to a level that is manageable without further funding increases (and possible cuts now that we may be far worse off than the pre-election projections indicated).

Would an interesting comparison... If a short but intense increase in funds could clear enough backlog to introduce efficiencies, or if other more drastic changes to the system will still need to be made.

I'm thinking a new approach to seniors care is going to be required regardless though. It will hit more slowly in Sask due to the generally younger population, but it's something that will become harder and harder on the health system.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
It was really just throwing money at the problem when we had it... I'm curious to see if they've brought it down to a level that is manageable without further funding increases (and possible cuts now that we may be far worse off than the pre-election projections indicated).

Would an interesting comparison... If a short but intense increase in funds could clear enough backlog to introduce efficiencies, or if other more drastic changes to the system will still need to be made.

I'm thinking a new approach to seniors care is going to be required regardless though. It will hit more slowly in Sask due to the generally younger population, but it's something that will become harder and harder on the health system.
We really have to get serious on preventative health care in this country. Money poured into school programs like home economics (you can tell how old I am!), sports, arts and shop will pay huge dividends in the future with people being healthy in body and spirit. This is may be odd coming from a conservative but money spent well now is money made in the future.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 2:56 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
We really have to get serious on preventative health care in this country. Money poured into school programs like home economics (you can tell how old I am!), sports, arts and shop will pay huge dividends in the future with people being healthy in body and spirit. This is may be odd coming from a conservative but money spent well now is money made in the future.
I don't find it that odd. It just sounds like good business to me.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
A similar argument applies to the guaranteed minimum income. While the upfront costs appear to be huge, the potential savings down the road are even larger.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 7:58 PM

Quote:
I honestly just wanted to get you guys interested. There should be a billion dollars worth of construction in MB.

Agree, there's a fair bit of coin in it for several industries here if it get's the green light.

Except...all the steel from Sask. is heading over to DreamScape (see thread) when it get's the go ahead... could be quite a boost to your economy...lol....

Last edited by Cyro; Apr 27, 2016 at 8:17 PM.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The one on 59N has been abandoned for years and is being removed as part of the interchange project. There's one on #7 north of 101. I think this one is still functioning due to the quarry in Stonewall. but I'm not 100% on that. The one at Headingley is the only other one I can think of off the op of my head.
From the Motor Carrier Enforcement web page

PERMANENT WEIGH STATIONS CURRENTLY IN OPERATION

Birds Hill (204) 668-8023 PTH #59 north

Headingley (204) 889-3836 PTH #1 west

Emerson (204) 373-2779 PTH #75

Rosser (204) 633-2167 PTH #7 (near PTH #101)

The Pas (204) 627-8294 PTH #10 north

Thompson (204) 677-6481 PTH #6

West Hawk (204) 349-2206 PTH #1 east

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan