HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post

'The building is not going to fall down'...don't be so sure. Without the repairs the water issues would continue to cause damage to the steel structure within and below the concrete that is not intended to be wet. Ask Drew what water infiltration does to steel structure.
The 2012 Algo Mall collapse in Elliot Lake was a good example of what long term water infiltration does to a structure

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
A law suit has been filed that includes the architect as a major defendant. You will hear about it more when the suit begins.

A multi-multi million dollar lawsuit filed by the city and province against a contractor and architect will be big news when it begins.

There were other major life safety issues. They have been resolved.

'The building is not going to fall down'...don't be so sure. Without the repairs the water issues would continue to cause damage to the steel structure within and below the concrete that is not intended to be wet. Ask Drew what water infiltration does to steel structure.
I meant the building is not going to fall down in a couple months when you go to a Bomber game. I went on to say the work being completed now it to correct the long term maintenance issues. Long term maintenance issues in my world mean "better maintain that bridge or it'll fall down", not "better fix up that paint so it doesn't look ugly". Water is my enemy everyday, water bad.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 6:59 PM

There were some very scary aspect to CanadInns. For example walking up a steel and concrete staircase, being the only person on the run and having it noticeable shaking from your steps.

I was really surprised to see the missing rail in the suite level. If they were willing to cut corners on something that visible it makes me wonder what less visible aspects were compromised at IGF. I know outside the building the concrete/stucco finish looks like crap as it is pulling away/unfinished. That might not be a structural or safety issue but if it was a property I owned I would be very upset with the builder.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 7:07 PM

I didn't really notice the stucco. Is that the brown coloured material you're speaking of? It covers the side of the ramp on the east side?

Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 9:08 PM

^^ There is a parking lot to the immediate west of IGF. Walk along the building on that side and look near where the sidewalk and building should meet, assuming it hasn't been fixed yet.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 1:25 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
There were some very scary aspect to CanadInns. For example walking up a steel and concrete staircase, being the only person on the run and having it noticeable shaking from your steps.

I was really surprised to see the missing rail in the suite level. If they were willing to cut corners on something that visible it makes me wonder what less visible aspects were compromised at IGF. I know outside the building the concrete/stucco finish looks like crap as it is pulling away/unfinished. That might not be a structural or safety issue but if it was a property I owned I would be very upset with the builder.
It was probably shaking as you were the only person on it. They tend to be more load bearing as in they need the weight to get rigid. Lots of commercial trucks and staircases and racks are made this way. They have a slight arch to them so they can take a larger load. Once the load is on they straighten out. Same would go for what you just explained.

As for the railing. That's just a safety issue with building codes and not something for the actual structure. If it were a missing I beam here and there. Then yes I would be worried.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 8:08 PM

We were talking about the IGF station. There's a report before the Riel Community Committee about opening the lands for roadways and shows the area required for the station. Station area is roughly 65m wide x 265m long. Comparing it to the size of the stadium, its quite large. We're looking at the large, dashed yellow area right beside the stadium. The roadway leading in follows the other dashed yellow.

Report 19
http://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/DMIS/View...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 8:49 PM

^ Good to see it's finally happening... better late than never.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 1:22 PM

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 7:03 PM

Looks like they Bombers have painted the concrete wall at field level and are adding words. Apologies for the image size. (Also some spotty concrete consolidation there!)

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 8:17 PM

Nice work by that fellow with the lettering..

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 8:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Looks like they Bombers have painted the concrete wall at field level and are adding words. Apologies for the image size. (Also some spotty concrete consolidation there!)

Actually the wording should be "Our apologies for the past ten years"

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 8:26 PM

Quote:
No money in the budget for some patch & rub before they painted the wall?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 9:20 PM

Are you freaking kidding?! lol They're spending ten's of millions on repairs. They can't afford a bucket of grout! haha

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 10:40 PM

Thank god, the banners around the stadium for the last few years looked horrible... the Bomber and Bison logos placed randomly all over the place. Also they left the blue banners from the Grey Cup up on the upper deck and they're not Bomber blue, looks weird already but looked awful with the gold in the lower bowl.

The weird thing though is that they went back to the royal blue so I don't really understand what's up with the navy paint. And I think they may be dropping the U of M logo from the endzone. At least I hope they do — sorry, but only 742 people care about the Bisons. At the pre-season one end had just a big W and the other was empty.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 2:52 PM

I actually disagree on removing the U of M crest from the north end zone. If you look at Montreal for example it has McGill in one end zone. If I am not mistaken Calgary has something similar too. It is more to acknowledge that the team is playing in a university stadium than to tie the two teams together. As sad as the Bisond have been in the past their football program seems to very much be on the rise since IGF opened and its a good team to deepen those connections. It also helps market the U of M to a wider audience as a school of some importance and assists with their fundraising and recruitment. Those are really some intangible things that the university gets in return for their role in the stadium ownership group BBB Inc.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:21 PM

Take this for what it's worth, but a senior executive at UM told me that the UM logo in an endzone was something negotiated with BBB somewhat early on in the process... BBB/the Bombers apparently tried to finagle their way out of that commitment, but UM stood their ground. I doubt that they'd give in on that issue now, unless the parties worked out a deal that made everyone happy.

Also FWIW I hate painted concrete. It always looks shabby unless it's constantly touched up. I suppose if they were going to do that, going navy to match the seats only made sense, although it's irritating that they changed the team colours right before only season 4 in the new stadium.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:45 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
Are you freaking kidding?! lol They're spending ten's of millions on repairs. They can't afford a bucket of grout! haha
I actually approve of how they did this.

Grout would just spall off in a couple years making the wall and paint job look horrible - leading to much more maintenance and upkeep compared to simply painting over an imperfect concrete surface.

I think it looks fine.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 4:10 PM

I was more joking than anything. It looks good. You're right that patching would just come off in a couple years.

Around the end zones I assume they will still have padding. Hopefully they can wrap it in such a way it doesn't look all ugly and creased. Maybe they can get padding that doesn't need to be covered with a separate fabric. Just has the blue or whatever colour directly on the pads.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 4:15 PM

^ What's funny is that at the preseason game they had a mix of the old peanut-butter coloured coverings and a lighter blue covering, almost royal but not quite. It looked like they were going to surround the field with the latter, but now it's paint? Odd. Oh well, I guess we'll get a good look at it tomorrow.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan