HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:26 PM

The existing Wenzel access and median opening to 59 are being closed. Wenzel traffic is directed via new service road down to PR 202 (Birds Hill Road). The new set of lights here are permanent, with a future (never to be constructed) interchange.

Pretty sure they are installing 6 lanes from 101 north to 202. And then simply allowing for 6 lanes beneath the 101 overpasses. Basically Lag will be 4 lanes heading north until the ramps merge with the roadway on the north end of the interchange. It will be 6 lanes until you get to 202, where the lanes will drop off as your turning lanes. North of 202 is remaining 4 lanes.

101 will be 4 lanes, allowing for future expansion of 6 lanes. So not sure if the bridges are being built now to accommodate the extra lane on each side.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:42 PM

[QUOTE=esquire;7423833]Standard Manitoba operating procedure.

And we are all still forgetting about the lights at Headmaster just so people can cross to Timmies. I still cannot believe the city allowed yet another light on Lag.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:47 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
You mean completely change our civic and provincial philosophy on infrastructure investment?

I wish.
The Province of Alberta can buy is up, then they can build us some Alberta level highways with great pavement.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 3:52 PM

[QUOTE=EastK;7423869]
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Standard Manitoba operating procedure.

And we are all still forgetting about the lights at Headmaster just so people can cross to Timmies. I still cannot believe the city allowed yet another light on Lag.
I agree, it's another stupid light. But at least they closed the Knowles median opening and will be adjusting the roads to have just one intersection there. Instead of the current Knowles access just north.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 6:36 PM

http://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/roadinfo/construction.html

Looks like the old overpass at 59N/101 interchange will be coming down between May 13-15. 59 will be closed during that period of time.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2016, 9:50 PM

[QUOTE=EastK;7423869]
Quote:

That intersections was signalized before the mall had any tenants confirmed. Headmaster is suppose to be a regional street so I think that is what triggered the signal installation. With Gateway being closed at 101, its the last exit from NK to 59/101 now.

Its also I believe a demand signal so unless there is traffic on Headmaster wanting to go north or on 59 wanting to turn west the signal should stay green for north / south traffic.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 2:37 PM

[QUOTE=cllew;7424489]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastK View Post

That intersections was signalized before the mall had any tenants confirmed. Headmaster is suppose to be a regional street so I think that is what triggered the signal installation. With Gateway being closed at 101, its the last exit from NK to 59/101 now.

Its also I believe a demand signal so unless there is traffic on Headmaster wanting to go north or on 59 wanting to turn west the signal should stay green for north / south traffic.
Its still classic Winnipeg. Put traffic lights up on a major expressway just so one or 2 cars can cross. I get stopped there almost every time I go through that intersection during the day.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Its still classic Winnipeg. Put traffic lights up on a major expressway just so one or 2 cars can cross. I get stopped there almost every time I go through that intersection during the day.
You get the impression that our local traffic engineers would rather cut off their hands than block access to major arterials from side roads.

In other cities it's normal to drive a km or two to get to a main entry point... here, it's an intersection every 500 m.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2016, 2:59 PM

To be fair, that is the one access point. The other opening down at McIvor would be closed if ever Lag were made to be a freeway. Then some form of access point would need to be figured out at Springfield for all the industrial traffic. So having Lag/59N and Lag/CPT be fully interchanges. Then have one or maybe two diamonds in between isn't too bad IMO. Ideally they're only be one access point, with traffic using the service roads to get where they're going.

Old Posted May 1, 2016, 8:40 PM
BANNED

[QUOTE=EastK;7423869]
Quote:

Have to agree, no one in Winnipeg or Provincial planning understands the concept of a service road, CPT, Springfield and the Headmaster lights must be all within a KM!

Three sets of lights where there should only be one!

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 5:08 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

[QUOTE=rrskylar;7427166]
Quote:

Have to agree, no one in Winnipeg or Provincial planning understands the concept of a service road, CPT, Springfield and the Headmaster lights must be all within a KM!

Three sets of lights where there should only be one!
What are you talking about? There's never enough lights on Lag/59. It's the Winnipeg way, and should remain that way! Screw change and screw progress!!! /s

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:14 PM

Interesting to see Google maps has updated Perimeter highway between wilkes and 221 as dark orange which I thought meant it was grade separated with limited access

I can see how it might be classified as such between wilkes and CCW, as all minor access routes are right turn only (despite the lack of any merge lanes), but between CCW and 221 there are two at grade intersections that allow left turns

Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:32 PM

I noticed that too. Also have noticed it in many other locations on my travels through NA. Like you said, supposed to indicate freeway I had thought.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 3:17 PM

Just a heads up, 59 and 101 will be closed from 10:00 pm Friday, May 13 for 48 hours to accommodate construction related work. Detours will be in place.

More Info

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 3:25 PM

They should be removing the old bridge spans from the flyover that is being torn down.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
They should be removing the old bridge spans from the flyover that is being torn down.
That they are. It closes around 10pm Friday evening. I think its in the way of the new one they are building just south of it. I wonder if they could have used the old span although maybe the angles are off.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 3:46 PM

^ The old span is over 40 years old...probably due for a replacement in any event.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 4:45 PM

For the extra $10m on a $200M project, might as well replace everything.

The only thing that doesn't look like it's crumbling on that overpass are the concrete box girders. Everything else has exposed rebar.

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 6:50 PM

Anyone know the estimated completion date?

Old Posted May 10, 2016, 6:54 PM

Fall 2018 I believe.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan