HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 2:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickB1967 View Post
It is really quite simple. This is because Fresno has little or no "un-City", or developed but unincorporated urban or suburban area, around it. If I recall correctly, Sacramento County still has more people living in the "un-City" than in Sacramento City proper, even though recent incorporations of Citrus Heights, Elk Grove, and Rancho Cordova have significantly reduced the amount of "un-City" there is.

In Fresno County, almost everything urban or suburban is either:
1. The City Of Fresno, or
2. The smaller City Of Clovis next to it.
I remember, back in the day, it was over 400,000. But, by my calculation, the unincorporated CDPs in Sacramento County that have a Sacramento address/identity total 285,189 as of 2010. Of course, most have probably grown since then. The CDPs I included were Arden-Arcade, Florin, Foothill Farms, La Riviera, Rosemont, Vineyard, Fruitridge Pocket, Parkway, Lemon Hill, and Foothill Farms. There may be a couple others that I missed; but, those are the big ones.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2018, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creamcityleo79 View Post
I remember, back in the day, it was over 400,000. But, by my calculation, the unincorporated CDPs in Sacramento County that have a Sacramento address/identity total 285,189 as of 2010. Of course, most have probably grown since then. The CDPs I included were Arden-Arcade, Florin, Foothill Farms, La Riviera, Rosemont, Vineyard, Fruitridge Pocket, Parkway, Lemon Hill, and Foothill Farms. There may be a couple others that I missed; but, those are the big ones.
If you are going to include Foothill Farms then you should also include North Highlands and the Parkway–South Sacramento (former CDP) which are closer-in. That would make the population around 377, 844.
If these areas were to be incorporated into the Sacramento City (ala Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, and Fresno) we would have a population of 879,178.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 2:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
If you are going to include Foothill Farms then you should also include North Highlands and the Parkway–South Sacramento (former CDP) which are closer-in. That would make the population around 377, 844.
If these areas were to be incorporated into the Sacramento City (ala Los Angeles, San Diego, San Jose, and Fresno) we would have a population of 879,178.
I did include Parkway. I didn't include North Highlands because they use their own name and, it would be assumed, have more of their own identity. North Highlands has been North Highlands for as long as I remember. The other ones I mentioned did not. Although, I will admit, I was a little iffy about Foothill Farms on that one because I've specifically heard people say they live in Foothill Farms (but, it's hard to distinguish if they think it's a neighborhood of Sacramento or it's own separate city/community). North Highlands, Carmichael, Antelope, Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Rio Linda, and Elverta are much in the same situation, as far as their identy goes, as Rancho Cordova, Elk Grove, and Citrus Heights before incorporation. They don't identify as Sacramento proper. People in Parkway, La Riviera, Florin, Arden-Arcade, or Rosemont (and, I speak from personal experience on this one, having grown up there) think of themselves as being Sacramentans.

As for Sacramento being, technically, smaller than Fresno, this has irked me many years. There are so many arguments that rebut this in concept; but, most people don't pay attention to details like we do. Coincidentally, when I was looking this up, I found this nifty chart (which you can adjust and make your own) on Google.

https://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...l=en&ind=false

Old Posted Jul 19, 2018, 2:45 PM

Talking

Quote:
If you are going to count all of "Un-City", that is, built up Sacramento County area that is not incorporated, then don't forget:
--North Highlands
--Antelope
--Carmichael
--Fair Oaks
--Orangevale
--Gold River (which ought to be annexed by Rancho Cordova, but it isn't).

Rio Linda and Elverta might still be rural and undeveloped enough to not count.

Quote:
North Highlands, Carmichael, Antelope, Fair Oaks, Orangevale, Rio Linda, and Elverta are much in the same situation, as far as their identy goes, as Rancho Cordova, Elk Grove, and Citrus Heights before incorporation. They don't identify as Sacramento proper. People in Parkway, La Riviera, Florin, Arden-Arcade, or Rosemont (and, I speak from personal experience on this one, having grown up there) think of themselves as being Sacramentans.
Come to think of it, you have a point there--what part of "Un-City" is thought of as "Sacramento" and what part of Un-City is not.

Interestingly enough, in terms of "ZIP" Postal Codes, Sacramento is assigned "958xx" (except for California State Government departments which were assigned 942xx), and Antelope is 95843, and Foothill Farms is 95841 and 95842. Parkway, La Riviera, Florin, Arden-Arcade, or Rosemont are all 958xx ZIP codes too.

Last edited by NickB1967; Jul 19, 2018 at 7:44 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2018, 2:07 PM

Quote:
If you are going to count all of "Un-City", that is, built up Sacramento County area that is not incorporated, then don't forget:
--North Highlands
--Antelope
--Carmichael
--Fair Oaks
--Orangevale
--Gold River (which ought to be annexed by Rancho Cordova, but it isn't).

Rio Linda and Elverta might still be rural and undeveloped enough to not count.

Come to think of it, you have a point there--what part of "Un-City" is thought of as "Sacramento" and what part of Un-City is not.

Interestingly enough, in terms of "ZIP" Postal Codes, Sacramento is assigned "958xx" (except for California State Government departments which were assigned 942xx), and Antelope is 95843, and Foothill Farms is 95841 and 95842. Parkway, La Riviera, Florin, Arden-Arcade, or Rosemont are all 958xx ZIP codes too.
I feel like places like Fair Oaks, Carmichael, and North Highlands are like pseudo-cities. I would be willing to bet some people in those communities don't even know they're NOT cities.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 4:00 PM

Quote:
I feel like places like Fair Oaks, Carmichael, and North Highlands are like pseudo-cities. I would be willing to bet some people in those communities don't even know they're NOT cities.
That does make sense. Fair Oaks is Postal ZIP Code 95628, Carmichael is 95608 or 95609, and North Highlands is 95660, none of which are 958xx.

Obviously, postal codes do not cities make, but going back to the ZIP code system, when it was set up in 1963, it was set up like this:

First Digit = region of the United States.

Second Digit = State, US Territory, or a region within a larger state. (CA was large enough to have regions for everything from 900 to 961)

Third Digit = City (if large enough), or defined smaller communities and rural areas considered to be in the vicinity of a large city.

So, Sacramento was assigned 958xx (other than the California State Government Offices which were assigned 942xx), and smaller communities or rural areas around Sacramento were assigned 956xx or 957xx.

Unfortunately, Sacramento never formally annexed everything 958xx.

This is in stark contrast to San Francisco, where everything is 941xx, Oakland, where everything is 946xx, or San Jose, where everything is 951xx, except for two small 950xx communities that San Jose annexed after 1963, when the ZIP code system was set up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ZIP_code_prefixes

Last edited by NickB1967; Feb 8, 2019 at 9:22 PM.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2018, 8:09 PM

Quote:
That does make sense. Fair Oaks is Postal ZIP Code 95628, Carmichael is 95608 or 95609, and North Highlands is 95660, none of which are 958xx.

Obviously, postal codes do not cities make, but going back to the ZIP code system, when it was set up in 1963, it was set up like this:

First Digit = region of the United States.

Second Digit = State, US Territory, or a region within a larger state. (CA was large enough to have regions for everything from 900 to 961)

Third Digit = City (if large enough), or defined smaller communities and rural areas considered to be in the vicinity of a large city.

So, Sacramento was assigned 958xx (other than the California State Government Offices which were assigned 942xx), and smaller communities or rural areas around Sacramento were assigned 956xx or 957xx.

Unfortunately, Sacramento never formally annexed everything 958xx.

This is in stark contrast to San Francisco, where everything is 941xx, Oakland, where everything is 946xx, or San Jose, where everything is 951xx, except two small communities annexed after 1963, when the ZIP code system was set up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ZIP_code_prefixes
That's fascinating! I do wish Sacramento would annex all that 958xx, get all those tax dollars, and have (theoretically) better regional services for those currently in the County. I know some of the areas are not as wealthy. But, I think the wealthier areas of 95821, 95825, and 95864 areas would make up for that (and they'd be the bulk of the added population, anyway. I think, in the past, that the opposition has come from those areas, though. They like being serviced by the county.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 1:35 AM
“The Big EasyChair”

Quote:
That's fascinating! I do wish Sacramento would annex all that 958xx, get all those tax dollars, and have (theoretically) better regional services for those currently in the County. I know some of the areas are not as wealthy. But, I think the wealthier areas of 95821, 95825, and 95864 areas would make up for that (and they'd be the bulk of the added population, anyway. I think, in the past, that the opposition has come from those areas, though. They like being serviced by the county.
Sacramento would be receiving a lot more tax dollars today had it incorporated the city and county into one municipality but i think the state changed the law after our last attempt to ensure consolidated city and county municipalities would no longer be able to collect auto registration fees they way most cities do. Consolidated munipalities like SF were grandfathered in.

I’m not sure how Steinberg feels about annexing older areas of the county but the people I’ve spoken to in the past at city hall have told me that Sacramento won’t annex older neighborhoods because it would cost more to provide municipal services than Sacramento would receive in revenue.

Sacramento County’s population hit 1.5 million in 2017, meaning each Supervisor is representing about 302k residents. I can see the county creating a larger board of Supervisors at some point in the future.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 6:08 PM

^ Good comments and lots of interesting thoughts-thanks guys!

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 7:57 PM

I wouldn’t mind a creating borough system for Sacramento, as long as West Sacramento is included and they crafted a system that didn’t just add layers of bureaucracy. Such a system might be advantageous for outer neighborhoods which kind of get overlooked. So not only would the areas now unincorporated have some independence so whould those areas of the city.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 5:02 AM

Quote:
I wouldn’t mind a creating borough system for Sacramento, as long as West Sacramento is included and they crafted a system that didn’t just add layers of bureaucracy. Such a system might be advantageous for outer neighborhoods which kind of get overlooked. So not only would the areas now unincorporated have some independence so whould those areas of the city.
Now this is a great idea and I think could really work.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area