HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 9, 2008, 8:31 PM

an open call for Porto Alegre pictures (please help)

Hi,

I'm a student study urban development and am currently writing a project on Porto Alegre (i'm aware my name is spelt wrong). As part of the project I need to include photos to illustrate my point and though I have found plenty i on this board many of them seem to have gone dead/ been taken down etc. So if any one has any Porto Alegre pictures they would be willing to let me use could you please post them here or email them to me at paul.crouch@durham.ac.uk. I'm particularly trying to emphasise the contrast between the modern skyscrapers etc and the favellas but i'm have some problems finding favella photos (the thread with those in seems to have gone dead) so if anyone has any favella pictures or ones which my illustrate that point i would be really greatful.

Thanks
Paul

P.S. your photos are amazing

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 2:03 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegre_looking View Post
Hi,

I'm a student study urban development and am currently writing a project on Porto Alegre (i'm aware my name is spelt wrong). As part of the project I need to include photos to illustrate my point and though I have found plenty i on this board many of them seem to have gone dead/ been taken down etc. So if any one has any Porto Alegre pictures they would be willing to let me use could you please post them here or email them to me at paul.crouch@durham.ac.uk. I'm particularly trying to emphasise the contrast between the modern skyscrapers etc and the favellas but i'm have some problems finding favella photos (the thread with those in seems to have gone dead) so if anyone has any favella pictures or ones which my illustrate that point i would be really greatful.

Thanks
Paul

ever thought about visiting Skyscrapercity´s Brazil forum? There are over 300 brazilian forumers there. I am myself from Novo Hamburgo, 40km North of Porto Alegre.

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 2:17 PM
FUS RO DAH!

All the photos in this post were taken by SSC forumer Flicklings. Photos are from the 3rd Perimetral Avenue, in Porto Alegre

Map of Porto Alegre and main viarie structure

Radials
Perimetrals

- 1 -

III Perimetral seen from Salgado Filho International Airport.

- 2 -

CIEE building

- 3 -

- 4 -

- 5 -

- 6 -

One of the most interesting buildings in POA, not because of architecture, but because of the massive FOREST planted on it
- 7 -

- 8 -

- 9 -

- 10 -

- 11 -

- 12 -

- 13 -

- 14 -

Sinduscon-RS.

- 15 -

going up the avenue

- 16 -

- 17 -

- 18 -

- 19 -

- 20 -

Two of the best triple A buildings in POA. But one has cool architecture and the other is a stupid neo-classic

- 21 -

This one is the Trust.

- 22 -

Carlos Gomes 222 with its doric columns that were already not used in Greece some centuries BC.

- 23 -

- 24 -

- 25 -

- 26 -

- 27 -

- 28 -

- 29 -

Aspect of the avenue

- 30 -

- 31 -

- 32 -

Constrast of the blue glass with the green of the Araucaria Pine Tree

- 33 -

- 34 -

- 35 -

aqui

- 36 -

Viaduct over Nilo Peçanha avenue.

- 37 -

- 38 -

part of the avenu with many empty areas will soon get some great new buildings.

- 39 -

- 40 -

- 41 -

Carlos Gomes Center

- 42 -

- 43 -

rool:

- 44 -

rool: [2]

- 45 -

- 46 -

- 47 -

- 48 -

- 49 -

Residential building on the side of 3rd Perimetral

- 50 -

Doral

- 51 -

- 52 -

Very Porto Alegre stylish

- 53 -

- 54 -

The white building has an EOLIC tower in the top, helping to reduce spendings with electric energy

- 55 -

- 56 -

Protasio Alves Viaduct, the moext expensive urban viaduct in the south of Brazil

- 57 -

In it, there are two bus stations (both the 3rd perimetral as the Protasio Alves avenue have bus corridors

- 58 -

In honor of the 100 years of jewish immigration at Rio Grande do Sul State
- 59 -

Panoramic lifts and escalators

- 60 -

The big green area will be soon give place to the Belvedere Shopping Mall

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 2:44 PM
FUS RO DAH!

metro area of Porto Alegre seen from Dois Irmãos Hills (just north of Novo Hamburgo) and from "Embratel" Hill. In some of the pictures, we can see Porto Alegre, 45km away (from Dois Irmãos Hills) and some 55km away (from Embratel Hill). These pics were taken BY ME, with the help of a binocular.

1-a few Novo Hamburgo buildings (the city is to the right of the pic) in the foreground... São Leopoldo at center... at the distance, to the left, you can barely see some white of Porto Alegre buildings

2 - São Leopoldo, some 15km away, and in the background, some buildings from Esteio and Sapucaia cities. In the foreground a poor neighborhood and a favela between Novo Hamburgo and São Leopoldo.

3 - southern side of São Leopoldo and UNISINOS university at foreground... Canoas (30km away) at the middle, and PORTO ALEGRE downtown in the background, 45km away

4 - Porto Alegre at the background. That is the skyline of Bela Vista and Moinhos de Vento neighborhoods I think. Maybe a but of 3rd Perimetral in the left? Maybe.

5 - 45km of Porto Alegre metro area in a single photo

6 - Another São Leopoldo shot. The salmon building at the bottom is Novo Hamburgo´s City Hall

7 - looking at another direction, the small city of Campo Bom, which is conurbed with Novo Hamburgo

8 - without the binocle

9 - GoogleEarth map of the metro area of Porto Alegre. I circled the downtowns (not exactly) of the major cities (excluding Esteio and Sapucaia), and also Unisinos. The blue lines are the two major roads, BR116 and BR290. The yellow line is the line of sight, from the north point (where I took the pics) to Porto Alegre downtown in the south.

10 - these pics were taken from 55km distance, from "Embratel" Hill, at Morro Reuter town. I artifically colorized them in Photoshop, because of the atmospheric haze.

11 - in this pic you can see a bit more of Novo Hamburgo (but not all skyline)

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 2:54 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Cultural Treasures at Porto Alegre downtown - thread at SSC
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=608142

one of the best Porto Alegre threads here at SSP. Hundreds of photos taken by forumer GersonIbias
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ight=spiderman

Porto Alegre in the 50s... photos from www.portoimagem.com

Old Posted May 2, 2008, 3:06 PM
FUS RO DAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegre_looking View Post
Hi,

Thanks
Paul

hmm... now I finished reading your post. The eternal first world wonderment about Brazil´s favelas.

Funny that you decided to make such research about Porto Alegre, which is one of the brazilian capitals with smaller and fewer favelas.

Anyway, in one of the pics I posted below, of Porto Alegre seen from far away, you can see a favela between Novo Hamburgo and São Leopoldo (thats Porto Alegre metro area)

I will link you to some threads showing favelas from Porto Alegre, at skyscrapercity. Most people there speak english, so ask questions there.

Vila dos Papeleiros and COHAB. The COHAB part is a poor neighborhood in the city of Lajeado, not Porto Alegre. But Vila dos Papeleiros is the most miserable shantytown in Porto Alegre.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=439319

unfortunatelly, there was a big thread about Vila Cruzeiro, the biggest favela in Porto Alegre. But the forumer who took the pictures, PortoImagem (the same guy who owns the site www.portoimagem.com) was banned from SSC for... hmmm... being maybe a bit xenophobic of people from outside Rio Grande do Sul state. And when he was banned, he broke the links to all his photos in hundreds of threads lol. Talk about revenge. He had some of the best Porto Alegre photos ever.
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=vila+cruzeiro

probably the best Porto Alegre photos thread EVER, when the best brazilian photographer-forumer ever, Gutooo, visited Porto Alegre last year.

This thread is a MUST VISIT. Gutooo also loves to take pictures of people in the streets
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=552434

Old Posted Dec 17, 2008, 11:18 PM
Pay it Forward

Trantor is right, Porto Alegre doesnt have that many favelas. I love that city.

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos