HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2941  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 1:22 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
The quotes from some of the opponents makes me feel kind of violent, like induces fantasies of catching a nimby and slapping them silly. Here's a prize:
Thank you!

“We really don’t need more people...Sorry, we just don’t need you.”

The exact attitude that's gonna land North Delaware with nothing but an Acme and suburban CVSs.
__________________
Philly Bricks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2942  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 7:42 AM
shadowbat2 shadowbat2 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 402
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2943  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 12:19 PM
1487 1487 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Got to love Philly- people would rather have a vacant lot than new housing or retail that may attract more cars. Common sense should tell folks that the type of people likely to move into new apts at that site arent going to have cars.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2944  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 1:47 PM
Williard Mouse's Avatar
Williard Mouse Williard Mouse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
Thank you!

“We really don’t need more people...Sorry, we just don’t need you.”

The exact attitude that's gonna land North Delaware with nothing but an Acme and suburban CVSs.

Maybe, it's time for AAA to look at 1100 N Delaware for their proposed auto service center.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2945  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 2:55 PM
McBane McBane is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,455
Once again, who is speaking for the city here? Who is evaluating these proposals from the perspective that the city is in dire need of tax payers, jobs, and money? Those concerns trump people's desire to have a parking spot or just not wanting new residents or stores near their homes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2946  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 3:05 PM
blart's Avatar
blart blart is offline
Fishtown & Country
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Philly
Posts: 66
Article today about the big entertainment complex On Delaware Ave, across from Sugarhouse-

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...sic_venue.html


(Meanwhile the project a block or two away on Delaware is voted down as overbuilding.)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2947  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 5:33 PM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
The Hammer
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Polis Philou Adelfou
Posts: 4,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
Article today about the big entertainment complex On Delaware Ave, across from Sugarhouse-

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...sic_venue.html


(Meanwhile the project a block or two away on Delaware is voted down as overbuilding.)
Those are both Samschick properties, too.
__________________
CCME | CtL | Hidden City

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2948  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 5:43 PM
PeterQM PeterQM is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Posts: 16
Does anyone know what this tower is on?


http://www.artefactorylab.com/drupal/renzo-piano?page=1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2949  
Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 6:00 PM
iheartphilly iheartphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterQM View Post
Does anyone know what this tower is on?


http://www.artefactorylab.com/drupal/renzo-piano?page=1
This tower (proposed at one point) sits on the CITC (Comcast Innovation and Technology Center) site. CITC is currently under construction and there is a thread for it on this forum.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2950  
Old Posted Yesterday, 2:41 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Got to love Philly- people would rather have a vacant lot than new housing or retail that may attract more cars. Common sense should tell folks that the type of people likely to move into new apts at that site arent going to have cars.
Well, I think we're nearing the tipping point where a lot of these gripes will ultimately become moot. Two reasons. One, people who live in Philadelphia for the urban experience are quickly outnumbering the old-timers who want to keep places like Penn Treaty Park as their quaint backyard. And two, newbies are driving up property values making vacant land along places like Delaware Avenue simply too valuable to remain unused.

It's good and bad. The bad, that land could become a suburban grocery store or stripmall, or some other ****-poor project with enough money to combat the NIMBYs (or in the case of Fishtown, the kind of ugly detraction they need to keep the "outsiders" from venturing north). The good, it means that these once-urban-now-quasi-suburban neighborhoods are becoming urban again. But more bad, they're also becoming pricy and losing a lot of the homegrown quirks that attracted new residents in the first place.

I guess I can see where some folks in Fishtown are coming from, but as a lover of all things urban, I can't bring myself to agree with it. It's a catch-22. And it's happened in Chicago, New York, Boston, and elsewhere.

Philadelphia's either going to continue evolving into a first-class city, which means it's going to be expensive and impersonal, or it's going to stagnate and remain what it always was...gritty and affordable, but uniquely charming for those of us weirdos who kind of liked it pre-Comcast. We're trending towards the former, and I'm okay with that even if it means I'll be pushed out of Center City.

It's very exciting to watch the city evolve and grow, and if Core can't build in Fishtown, by all means put those sexy apartment buildings in my backyard along the Vine Street Expressway.
__________________
Philly Bricks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2951  
Old Posted Yesterday, 2:43 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterQM View Post
Does anyone know what this tower is on?


http://www.artefactorylab.com/drupal/renzo-piano?page=1
I've never seen that. It's pretty sexy looking. I like the CITC a little better in some ways, a little less in others. I'm not sure where it came from or who Renzo Piano is, but by all means, let's put this somewhere else in Center City. Disney Hole, perhaps?
__________________
Philly Bricks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2952  
Old Posted Yesterday, 3:11 AM
FiggyOlive FiggyOlive is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 11
At the announcement press conference, the CEO mentioned a competition had taken place between:

Renzo Piano
Bjarke Ingel (BIG)
Jean Nouvel
Robert A.M Stern
and
Norman Foster

Am I missing anyone?

We saw Foster's original design which was probably the winning design that was later tweaked. The changes were really cosmetic, the philosophy of loft spaces and an "urban room" we're unchanged.

Now we see Piano's bid.. ..probably the first to go. It has no architectural interest to it. I wish we could see the other side though. I wish we could see ALL the designs!

I bet Robert A.M. Stern's design was a close second. I could see him referencing the previous design, which he always does. I bet you anything it was neck to neck and the CEO decided to go with a Pritzker winner due to the fan girling of his architecture passionate wife.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2953  
Old Posted Yesterday, 3:19 AM
philatonian's Avatar
philatonian philatonian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiggyOlive View Post
At the announcement press conference, the CEO mentioned a competition had taken place between:

Renzo Piano
Bjarke Ingel (BIG)
Jean Nouvel
Robert A.M Stern
and
Norman Foster

Am I missing anyone?

We saw Foster's original design which was probably the winning design that was later tweaked. The changes were really cosmetic, the philosophy of loft spaces and an "urban room" we're unchanged.

Now we see Piano's bid.. ..probably the first to go. It has no architectural interest to it. I wish we could see the other side though. I wish we could see ALL the designs!

I bet Robert A.M. Stern's design was a close second. I could see him referencing the previous design, which he always does. I bet you anything it was neck to neck and the CEO decided to go with a Pritzker winner due to the fan girling of his architecture passionate wife.
I'm very curious to see the others. I feel like Foster just recycled previous designs and proposals. I mean it looks cool but it's not unique, at least IMO.
__________________
Philly Bricks
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2954  
Old Posted Yesterday, 1:23 PM
TallCoolOne's Avatar
TallCoolOne TallCoolOne is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The First State
Posts: 398
http://www.dasarchitects.com/1700-market.html

New addition/front to 1700 Market - new restaurants to be added...
should definitely add some energy where energy is needed.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...00-Market.html
__________________
"Does anybody remember laughter?"
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125694656@N07/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2955  
Old Posted Yesterday, 1:55 PM
boxbot's Avatar
boxbot boxbot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delco., Pa.
Posts: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by philatonian View Post
I'm not sure where it came from or who Renzo Piano is

Renzo Piano
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2956  
Old Posted Yesterday, 3:18 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia and Wilmington
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post
http://www.dasarchitects.com/1700-market.html

New addition/front to 1700 Market - new restaurants to be added...
should definitely add some energy where energy is needed.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/t...00-Market.html
Bravo. It's about time something other than banks came to Market Street. Restaurants, in particular, are needed. I haven't heard exactly what retail will go in 1919 Market, but I'm hopeful that will add a little life as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2957  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:20 PM
Philly Kid Philly Kid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Bravo. It's about time something other than banks came to Market Street. Restaurants, in particular, are needed. I haven't heard exactly what retail will go in 1919 Market, but I'm hopeful that will add a little life as well.
I believe a CVS is going into the ground floor retail on 1919.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2958  
Old Posted Yesterday, 4:42 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia and Wilmington
Posts: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Kid View Post
I believe a CVS is going into the ground floor retail on 1919.
Convenient for the residents. But not so great for the streetlife.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2959  
Old Posted Yesterday, 6:31 PM
Kidphilly Kidphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 648
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2960  
Old Posted Today, 12:16 PM
williamphilapa's Avatar
williamphilapa williamphilapa is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Philadelphia
Posts: 1,727
http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...12SrdXoPCox.01

First Look at Renderings of New Flagship Center City Wawa

The Wawa at Broad and Walnut streets, which the company hopes to have open by...

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...6LpLf8ZW0ke.99

Note: Apologize if this was posted already.
__________________
Comcast Renderings
_____________________________
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy -Ben Franklin
Reply With Quote
     
     
End
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:16 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.