HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 6:22 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

That looks great!

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Where is the parking now? The new rendering shows the first few floors as glass and filled with people. Is it underground now or just hidden alley side?
Drawings linked to earlier in this thread show underground parking.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 7:28 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
The east side will be facing I35 I'm presuming. But per the above drawing, it appears to be the worst side with no signage logo for I35 traffic except for the approach to the south. Not sure I like the east and north sides, west and south look good though.
According to the rendering the "pretty side" will be facing east unless they're playing games with it. In priller's zoomed out photo above, you can see what appears to be the Omni Hotel in the background. The Omni is west of that property.

And yeah, this will have 4 levels of parking under ground.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 9:22 AM

Yeah, wow. What a difference in renderings. I'm blown away. White Lodging impresses again.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 9:39 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
According to the rendering the "pretty side" will be facing east unless they're playing games with it. In priller's zoomed out photo above, you can see what appears to be the Omni Hotel in the background. The Omni is west of that property.

And yeah, this will have 4 levels of parking under ground.
No, Kevin, according to the rendering the "pretty" side will face west. Here's the google street view of the site, with the two street sides being the "pretty" sides:

Notice that the interstate is down the street we're facing down, on the opposite side of building (the ugly side). The Omni hotel is north of this site a few blocks and on the opposite side of the road.

Compare the above with the rendering (notice the building with the awnings for reference):

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 9:42 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
I.E. just like with the other site, they're expecting that the other corners will eventually be filled with a large development (and at least here I don't blame them, those other sites are not the highest and best use).

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 10:09 AM
Meh

Ok, I should have looked for the building with the awnings. Well in that case I hope something else gets built on the east and north ends of the block also.

It's also kind of puzzling that they would have the rooftop terrace face south and east when the bulk of downtown (and the hills) are to the west. Seems like they're missing out on an opportunity for a nice view.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 20, 2013, 2:07 PM

With the location there at the corner, I can see why they have it positioned the way it's currently shown. I know the greyscale renderings on page 3 appear to limit rooftop views to the West, the new renderings show some clear changes to the street level of the building, so perhaps only the North side is going to be obstructed by that large overhang with the Westin logo, and the rooftop area will be much larger, extending out to the West, still providing nice downtown views.

It's too bad there are no new renderings from the air, showing us a better view of how it will look. The current picture looks really good, but it doesn't show a full picture.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 5:42 AM

I know everyone hates a blank side (back side of the Hyatt) but the reality is a developer does not know what might be built next to the building. I don't think anyone would want to open the curtains to their room and stare at a another wall less than 10 feet away.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2013, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homecreek View Post
I know everyone hates a blank side (back side of the Hyatt) but the reality is a developer does not know what might be built next to the building. I don't think anyone would want to open the curtains to their room and stare at a another wall less than 10 feet away.
Just because it's not a good place to put windows doesn't mean it has to be completely architecturally blank. Check out wall of the Hampton Inn that was put up against where another building (Hyatt Place) was going to go:

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.2...1.48,,0,-35.93

I'm seriously looking at that Hampton Inn building in a whole new light now. It was done really well for what it is, IMO. The developers cared and put a little thought into it.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
No, Kevin, according to the rendering the "pretty" side will face west. Here's the google street view of the site, with the two street sides being the "pretty" sides:

Notice that the interstate is down the street we're facing down, on the opposite side of building (the ugly side). The Omni hotel is north of this site a few blocks and on the opposite side of the road.

Compare the above with the rendering (notice the building with the awnings for reference):

I like how three cars are going north up San Jacinto Blvd and one seems to be going south. That's a One Way south!!! LOL

Old Posted Jul 22, 2013, 8:53 PM

The one level of glass even with the trees would likely be an enclosed area up on the roof, I bet that is a spa or inside gym, they would have the view of the West and most of the central downtown area. Above that is the mechanical penthouse I bet.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2013, 6:13 PM

I haven't been there in person lately but based on the JW Marriott cam there has been lots of activity on the site the past couple days including a crane of some sort.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 3:35 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by priller View Post

Does anybody else notice the slight hint of the JW Marriott? The part where the facade is basically doing the same thing as the JW

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 5:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Does anybody else notice the slight hint of the JW Marriott? The part where the facade is basically doing the same thing as the JW

That was the very first thing I noticed. What I like about this design it is almost the exact same building as the Hyatt, but it shows what a little thought into the facade can do. It mimics the same effect on the JW, but without the added dimension. Still a big upgrade over the Hyatt.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 5:51 AM

Now we're getting cookie cutter upgrades?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2013, 3:31 PM
Meh

That's not nearly as bad as actual cookie cutter designs, though. I can live with this. Really the reason for it is to move the elevator core to one end of the building instead of the center of the building. This free ups the roof of the building for an amenity deck. The overhang roof is just a popular design element.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 12:51 AM

They filed for a tower crane permit. It looks like site prep is well underway.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2013, 2:54 AM
Meh

That's great. i haven't been by it yet to see, but you can see from the JW Marriott construction cam that they have some equipment on site. There's even a crawler crane.

http://oxblue.com/open/tournee/jwmarriottaustin

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Jul 30, 2013, 8:35 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

The top of the building reminds me of the Houston Marriott renderings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin