HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 7:43 PM
Meh

9/21

The proposed site near the center of the photo (vacant dirt lot).

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 1:35 AM

Great place for some height, I just hope it isn't another cookie cutter box like some of the other mid rises popping up, but that's what I'm bracing for.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2012, 10:53 PM
Meh

This could end up being around 230 to 240 feet tall. Hyatt Place is 207 feet to the top of the angled roof and 192 to the main roof with 17 floors. Using Hyatt Place's main roof height and floor count against this hotel, it should be around 226 feet, plus another 10 to 15 feet for the mechanical penthouse and terrace level. It'll be taller than anything between Frost and the Hilton in that area of downtown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
20 stories, roof terrace proposed for East Fifth Street and San Jacinto Boulevard.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/sl...f.html?ana=fbk

Old Posted Jan 10, 2013, 1:59 AM

Announced as a Westin. Story also says that it will be 17 stories.

http://www.statesman.com/news/busine...te-lodg/nTrWK/

Old Posted Feb 27, 2013, 10:24 PM
Meh

I emailed the developer yesterday. Here was his response. This is the same guy who got me the heights for the JW Marriott and Hyatt Place Hotels.

Quote:
Still in early phases of design. Email me back in a few months. The lot is barricaded because we don't have a permit to allow parking.

Old Posted Feb 28, 2013, 9:33 AM
Everywhere all at once

I just hope that some design consideration goes into the two back (north & east) sides of the building as well as the front. Don't forget that one of the "rear" faces will overlook onto Sixth Street, and it won't ever be blocked by another tower...so let's hope it's not hideous. Kevin, definitely drop a hint about that to the developer, if he takes your input.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 6:28 AM

The north wall is on an alley so it will have windows. The east wall will more than likely go to the property line, so it will be a blank wall.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2013, 6:53 AM
Meh

Residential could be an option for the lot to the east, but they would have to do some soundproofing.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 6:17 AM

While I was perusing the cities FTP site, I came across a preliminary site plan for this project. It looks like Bury and Partners submitted a utility plan on November 20, 2012. It looks pretty similar to information that has been presented in the ABJ. Not sure if this means anything or if it is a sign that this project is continuing to move forward (as of November).

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...y%20Layout.pdf

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 7:20 AM

I stand corrected...there is a more recent site plan filed for this project. They have a very detailed plan last modified March 26, 2013.

And what is that on Sheets 19 through 22. Project Elevations! Since we don't have a detailed rendering yet, this is the best representation of what this project will look like. Could be pretty interesting, could be bland, it all depends at this point. From my very unprofessional opinion, it looks very much like a reuse of what was used in the Hyatt. But hey, lots of you guys said you were OK with suburban, tract-style urban development (aka SkyHouse). It looks like there is some design elements to the facade, so we will have to wait and see what sort of materials and textures they will be using.

Sadly, it doesn't really matter what they are using, because nothing is going to hide what is being shown on sheet 21 and 22. Large blank walls will be facing the directions of Sixth street and Trinity. Let the mourning and anger begin...

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...el%20Plans.pdf

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 8:10 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

It'll be annoying until they fill out the rest of that block. Then the blank walls will never be seen again.

Old Posted May 18, 2013, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myomi View Post
I stand corrected...there is a more recent site plan filed for this project. They have a very detailed plan last modified March 26, 2013.

And what is that on Sheets 19 through 22. Project Elevations! Since we don't have a detailed rendering yet, this is the best representation of what this project will look like. Could be pretty interesting, could be bland, it all depends at this point. From my very unprofessional opinion, it looks very much like a reuse of what was used in the Hyatt. But hey, lots of you guys said you were OK with suburban, tract-style urban development (aka SkyHouse). It looks like there is some design elements to the facade, so we will have to wait and see what sort of materials and textures they will be using.

Sadly, it doesn't really matter what they are using, because nothing is going to hide what is being shown on sheet 21 and 22. Large blank walls will be facing the directions of Sixth street and Trinity. Let the mourning and anger begin...

ftp://ftp.ci.austin.tx.us/ATD_AULCC/...el%20Plans.pdf
I would agree that the final look of this will be dependant of materials and finish out. It is still "decorating a box 101", but the graphic attempt is encouraging. I don't think it will be anywhere near as bad as the Hyatt. ! AND, At least there is some roof action.
As for the "blank sides. The East elevation is to be expected. There will be another building there. As far as the North. Well, yeah that;s gonna be a big pile o' bland as a backdrop for 6th. At least part of the building is set back with windows and there are ( what I will guess) are window at the ends of the hallways. Alas. Enough to be bland and not enough space to become a cool projection surface!
As for materials/design. Yeah, I'm also not a fan of, as you so well put:
" suburban, tract-style urban development (aka SkyHouse). "

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 1:28 AM

Eh. It's hard to imagine in those grey tones, but I sense their big idea for "style" are those little vertical rectangles randomly placed along the front.

But hey, at least it's got underground parking for....whatever it was....150 cars or so. Better than putting up a separate garage. So there's that.

Old Posted May 19, 2013, 2:48 PM

Definately using Hyatt as the template, the blank walls aren't too bad mainly since the east side will mainly be seen from i35 which is quite a few blocks away wont be as bad. The north side from 6th also wont be bad because most of the blank wall is at the bottom and will already be covered up if not at least from dirty 6th.

The main issue with the Hyatt is that it has a blank wall facing 1 block away from a very prominent area, but that will also be a non-issue in a few more months the way the JW is going.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 3:36 AM

Here's an updated street level rendering from the White Lodging website:

The website:

http://www.whitelodging.com/about/ga...ustin-downtown

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 4:03 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

I don't mind that look. Hopefully that's not just white stucco going up, though.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 1:43 PM

It's better than it was, but it's still pretty unremarkable. I don't like that big white name tag right there near the bottom of the building. Usually, that kind of thing goes near the top. HKS Architects design some really great buildings. I don't understand why they can't design something better for this. I'm sure they're just designing what Westin and White Lodging are asking them to design, but I think Westin needs to step its game up if it wants to be welcome in certain urban environments. It seems like they're used to developing in the suburbs and don't really know what a good urban hotel should look like. Then again, maybe I'm expecting too much from these kinds of developers. Maybe they're just trying to build McMotels and we're just another one of their markets (like with Hyatt Place).

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 8:50 PM
Meh

I think this will be a lot better than the Hyatt Place design. They seem to have paid more attention to detail.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
It's better than it was, but it's still pretty unremarkable. I don't like that big white name tag right there near the bottom of the building. Usually, that kind of thing goes near the top. HKS Architects design some really great buildings. I don't understand why they can't design something better for this. I'm sure they're just designing what Westin and White Lodging are asking them to design, but I think Westin needs to step its game up if it wants to be welcome in certain urban environments. It seems like they're used to developing in the suburbs and don't really know what a good urban hotel should look like. Then again, maybe I'm expecting too much from these kinds of developers. Maybe they're just trying to build McMotels and we're just another one of their markets (like with Hyatt Place).
Actually Westin hotels are usually in center city locations. Frequently they are very large hotels like the one on Canal St. in New Orleans, the 73 story Peachtree Plaza in Atlanta, or the Westin Bonaventure in downtown LA. Their suburban locations tend to be located near major airports. The design of this Austin project is mostly based on White Lodgings specs. The property will open as a Westin, but it could be re-branded somewhere down the line when White Lodging negotiates a new operating contract or sells the property. Westin is an upmarket brand, and they must have confidence in White Lodging to enter into an operating agreement with them. White usually does deals with Marriott. Certainly that has been the case here in Austin where virtually every Marriott brand operates in a building owned by White Lodging.

Last edited by austlar1; Jun 27, 2013 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2013, 10:08 PM

I know that Westin has some pretty nice urban hotels and that they bill themselves as an upmarket brand, but they also have quite a few suburban hotels that are nowhere near major airports and are not remarkable-looking in any way. One has to look no further than The Domain for that. There are many others, like the big sprawling resort in Scottsdale, AZ.

White Lodging did a pretty excellent job redesigning the JW Marriott after starting with a very bland design, that's why I'm (somewhat) surprised that this one isn't better. They released a very bland design at first and came back with a design that is only marginally better, if at all. I know we haven't seen the full rendering, but this just seems like a lazy and careless effort.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin