HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
Jesus! What a bunch of uninformed idiots (including most comments). They obviously lack any background in the subject. Mill Ave was dead just 5-10 years ago. It has began to blossom in the last 4 or so years. Oh gosh...
Agreed. Downtown needs to start diversifying its mix of retail beyond the food/beverage industries, IMO, but other than that, no complaints from me. My response:

"This may have been true a decade ago, but it has been a long time since the days of Abercrombie, GAP, and the like invading Mill. Since the recession rebound, Mill has become a popular place for small, local business once again as Kyle stated above.

The original author also doesn't seem to realize that just 5-6 years ago, post-freshman living at ASU was nearly nonexistent near campus. Now, Vista del Sol, The Vue/922, W6, Hanover, Grigio Metro and more provide convenient options for students, and the rents of these establishments won't go UP because of increased competition. If anything, they will go down, only benefitting students.

The City has a vision for its downtown that is diverse economically and not reliant on the admittedly huge anchor ASU is. Marina Heights and USA Place are two huge steps toward fulfilling that vision. As employment continues to pour in, it makes sense to rebrand the area so that future urban infill can provide housing for the finlux of workers and visitors who will be coming to the area. Mill Ave will always be at the center of the action - especially for college students, but for all residents, particularly wish the streetcar loop intended to open within the next several years. But, everyone will benefit from having more options than one road, and I'm excited to watch as development spills over to previously abandoned areas like Farmer and College."

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 5:01 PM

Looking at the Marina Heights cam I see that the State Farm sign is now atop the first completed building.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Looking at the Marina Heights cam I see that the State Farm sign is now atop the first completed building.
Any pics?? Can you help a brutha out?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 5:42 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
After not having seen it since I moved I'm really loving the cutouts and glass on these buildings. So is that one in the middle going to be the tallest of them all or is another supposed to be taller?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:50 PM

I believe so; the building on the left and a near duplicate of it on the far right will be just a few stories shorter.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/2dba...3-original.jpg

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 11:42 PM
Skyriser

None of the posts over the last few hours had anything to do with Tempe projects.

They've been moved to the General Phoenix Discussion Thread.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2014, 7:38 PM

State Farm Sign

Hayden Ferry is up to 3 floors

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 3:23 PM

Nanobrewery opening in old Islands location

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...enue/70106868/

Really GREAT to see what part of Mill coming back to life! I think West 6 really provided the spark with all those residence who would prefer to walk to get food. The project next door should only increase that demand.

Hot N Juicy and the new French place across the street seem to both be doing well. I can't speak for that AMC as I haven't been in the area in the evenings for awhile.

For the most part, I don't agree with people who say there are too many restaurants and bars on Mill. However, at this point, I do agree that it would be nice to see some more retail enter the market.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 3:34 PM

Quote:
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...enue/70106868/

Really GREAT to see what part of Mill coming back to life! I think West 6 really provided the spark with all those residence who would prefer to walk to get food. The project next door should only increase that demand.

Hot N Juicy and the new French place across the street seem to both be doing well. I can't speak for that AMC as I haven't been in the area in the evenings for awhile.

For the most part, I don't agree with people who say there are too many restaurants and bars on Mill. However, at this point, I do agree that it would be nice to see some more retail enter the market.
It's nice that there's a variety of bars/restaurants, and not just cheap college kid options. But, in order to be considered a truly urban and walkable downtown, the retail mix does need to diversify; there's no place to buy groceries, housewares, or even a gym, somewhere for dry cleaning/laundromat AFAIK. The clothing choices are also minimal. I wish the plaza on Ash/University was a bit more pedestrian-oriented, because it has some great places (music store, Buffalo Exchange, Cartel), but is pretty hidden. Will be interesting to see what happens at the former Mosaic site - obviously, it's going to be much shorter than desired, but I wonder if all of the retail space will be dedicated to the Whole Foods or if there will be room for some additional tenants. I think the new Encore/Residences on Farmer has ground level space, as well. So, plenty of chances to start filling in the holes.

I would like to see retail/restaurants over at the Marriott Residence Inn. That would help tie College to the Tempe Transportation Center to the Municipal Garage and to the rest of 6th onto Mill.

With the Centerpoint area finally coming back to life, I wonder if Mill/7th is the next big proposal we'll see? I almost hope it sits empty until the next boom, unless it's on the same scale as something like Mill/Rio. That lot is a prime assemblage and should really have a pretty dense and tall development that can be stepped back from Mill a bit. I think it's the perfect spot for a gym, for example.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 11:18 PM

WOW. Tempe on FIRE!

Developer chosen for Hayden Mill:
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...lour-mill.html

Looks like the mill will have a hotel addition. No renderings yet, but my wishes for the project include:
  • Complete preservation of all existing structures
  • 8 Story hotel
  • Ground floor retail
  • A few luxury condos are probably too much to ask for, but we can dream

Unlike Phoenix, I have complete faith in COT that this project will kick ass! I really have to give Tempe credit, they are going all out for every opportunity.

I hope it continues to snowball for them as new residents, employees and visitors arrive to all the new underconstruction/planned apartments, offices and hotels!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Developer chosen for Hayden Mill:
http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...lour-mill.html

Looks like the mill will have a hotel addition. No renderings yet, but my wishes for the project include:
  • Complete preservation of all existing structures
  • 8 Story hotel
  • Ground floor retail
  • A few luxury condos are probably too much to ask for, but we can dream

Unlike Phoenix, I have complete faith in COT that this project will kick ass! I really have to give Tempe credit, they are going all out for every opportunity.

I hope it continues to snowball for them as new residents, employees and visitors arrive to all the new underconstruction/planned apartments, offices and hotels!
Well, didn't have to wait long. I found the .pdf: http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/c...4042758165.PDF

It sounds GREAT! 4,000 seat music venue, restaurants and galleries along with public space and hotel.

Unfortunately, no renderings at this point. I almost hope this forces the Marquee to close and that land can be redeveloped. Rio Salado is going to be absolutely gorgeous with the Monti's project, Mill project, street car, Marrio AC Hotel and Marina Heights!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 11:47 PM

One additional thought, because this city continues to amaze me with their aggressiveness.

Every time I walk past City Hall from Sun Devil Stadium towards Mill I can't help but think how low on space Tempe must be. I worked there nearly 8 years ago and they were at capacity at that point for city offices.

I doubt they would kill their upside down pyramid, but how about RFQing the city owed parking lot just to the West between City Hall and Hooters/Gringo Star?

They could get a nice 15-18 story tower that houses both city offices and allows the developer to lease out the rest of the office space, with the city getting preference for future expansion needs?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 4:07 AM

Quote:
One additional thought, because this city continues to amaze me with their aggressiveness.

Every time I walk past City Hall from Sun Devil Stadium towards Mill I can't help but think how low on space Tempe must be. I worked there nearly 8 years ago and they were at capacity at that point for city offices.

I doubt they would kill their upside down pyramid, but how about RFQing the city owed parking lot just to the West between City Hall and Hooters/Gringo Star?

They could get a nice 15-18 story tower that houses both city offices and allows the developer to lease out the rest of the office space, with the city getting preference for future expansion needs?
I think 15-18 stories is a little ambitious for that parking lot, but I have definitely eyed that lot and thought it would make for a nice infill project at some point. With the municipal garage and plaza right there, an office project would make sense, but I think I would prefer lofts or apartments just because of the prime location and need for more market rate residential in the core. It's too bad the garage wasn't built to accomodate an additional tower either above or adjacent to it.

I'd prefer any additional City offices to be part of a mixed use transit project on the land that currently houses the bus depot; nothing too huge, as I think the transportation center is a great piece of architecture, but tall enough to house future City needs with ground level uses that build on the retail at the Marriott and current transit center.

Will have to look more into the Mill project, but it sounds like good stuff. Like we've all mentioned, it was only a matter of time. I like how there are certain nodes developing within the downtown, while keeping it all walkable and unified. The northern part is developing into a much different scene than the southern end, for example. Very exciting. And, while it would be nice for the momentum to carry north of the lake, I wouldn't want to see Marquee redeveloped until some other prime lake lots (like SouthBank and Hayden Harbor) are completed, along with infill lots like Ash/University, Ash/5th and Mill/7th. The First Solar building, in spite of being attached to a light rail stop, was built with a very auto-centric design and I'd rather the focus stay in areas where there is an urban form in place for now. But, one day, I'd love to see dense development all the way to the Papago Park amenities with a streetcar connecting downtown and that area.

I will say I am surprised that Tempe can handle the demand for *3* boutique hotels in that gateway area with the AC Marriott, Kimpton and now the Mill restoration. I hope we don't see a reversion to the boom days where multiple proposals came through and all went bust because the market couldn't support all of the action. The team in place seems pretty solid, even though I'm growing a bit tired of SmithGroup winning every RFP out there; but, as long as the project has additions that help the Mill meet the street and continue to activate the lake region into the greater downtown, I'm sold.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Nov 27, 2014 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 4:15 AM

Quote:
Well, didn't have to wait long. I found the .pdf: http://documents.tempe.gov/sirepub/c...4042758165.PDF

It sounds GREAT! 4,000 seat music venue, restaurants and galleries along with public space and hotel.

Unfortunately, no renderings at this point. I almost hope this forces the Marquee to close and that land can be redeveloped. Rio Salado is going to be absolutely gorgeous with the Monti's project, Mill project, street car, Marrio AC Hotel and Marina Heights!
Shoot - the PDF is down; any chance you can describe the project a bit more? Were there renderings? Curious if there will be buildout along Mill Avenue.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs5056 View Post
Shoot - the PDF is down; any chance you can describe the project a bit more? Were there renderings? Curious if there will be buildout along Mill Avenue.
Weird, won't load for me either now. There is no rendering. What they provided was an arial view that shows what different parts of the lot would be used for. The buildings and silos remain, and hotel is sandwiched between them, then a venue of some sort (I think it's an ampatheater) is off towards the north east part of the lot against the butte. There is also restaurant space and some landscaping and turf.

It's amazing that that corner of Rio&Mill will go from pretty dead (unless there is an event at the beach park) to a hub of activity!

I just really hope USAplace isn't dead.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 12:01 AM

There's a pic of 230 W. 5th in this months AZRE on page 6.

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/...rdecember-2014

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 2:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciweiss View Post
There's a pic of 230 W. 5th in this months AZRE on page 6.

http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/...rdecember-2014
Thanks for sharing, this looks like a new rendering. I was hoping this wasn't dead, but they pulled it from the DRC agenda and it has yet to come back on.

The sign for the hearing is still up on the property though.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 7:38 PM

Tempe Eyesore

Nice read and update on the Tempe eyesore/junkyard by the tracks. Hopefully this case gets resolved soon and Supreme Court decides not to hear the case. That is one prime piece of land to redevelop.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...empe/19687355/

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airomero83 View Post
Nice read and update on the Tempe eyesore/junkyard by the tracks. Hopefully this case gets resolved soon and Supreme Court decides not to hear the case. That is one prime piece of land to redevelop.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...empe/19687355/
Very interesting, it looks like this will come to an end soon. If the state prevails in this lawsuit, then the state would own half the lot and Tempe the other half. Hopefully the state then sells their half to the city and the city RFPs out that land.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest