HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Downtown restaurants can expand seating onto Phoenix streets

Businesses in the downtown Phoenix arts district have the option of extending activity onto city streets with the new Downtown parklet program.

Parklets are pedestrian seating and activity areas that can be developed within the bounds of two streetside parking spaces. The greenspace can be used by restaurants for patron seating and other seasonal pedestrian spaces.

It's part of the mayor and city council's efforts to reduce the heat island effect from the downtown concrete and paved areas.

Administered through the Planning and Development Department, the conversions are permitted in the downtown development code area, roughly bounded by Lincoln Buckeye and McDowell Road and Seventh Street and Seventh Avenue.

The council voted earlier this month to approve the concept covering the parking spaces into community spaces.

"Parklets are just one more way that we're making city streets and neighborhoods more inviting and accessible, especially for pedestrians," Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said. "They also allow businesses to expand their space outdoors."

Parklets will provide green space on city streets to create new seasonal pedestrian spaces that improve the quality of life.

The city does not dictate the design for parklets, and wants to see unique reflections of neighborhood character. Use is limited to seating, landscaping and private seating controlled by the business. Businesses are responsible for construction and maintenance costs.

The city will make a determination about site eligibility at no charge to the applicant, the there is an annual license cost for using the public right-of-way.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...ting-onto.html
These are popping up all over San Francisco and I love them! Great news and a way to bring some life out in to the streets/sidewalk! Hope they are eventually allowed everywhere.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 12:43 AM

And just another reason the decision to remove parallel parking along Roosevelt for additional sidewalk space was shortsighted. Sigh.

In other restaurant news, excited to see how the new FEZ turns out: http://www.downtownphoenixjournal.co...-fez-new-digs/ ; what a great area that will be once Portland on the Park is completed and hopefully the Lexington Hotel transformation.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Nov 19, 2014 at 3:42 AM.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 4:21 PM
BANNED

Barrister Place building continues 'request for proposal' process to finalize terms

A historic building in downtown Phoenix, which was used for location shots of Alfred Hitchcock’s 1960 movie “Psycho,” is being renovated into an apartment complex.

The Barrister Place building on Central Avenue will be renovated into 114 rental apartments, ground-floor commercial space and the adaptive reuse of the historic building, said Eric Johnson, economic development program manager for the Community and Economic Development Department with the city of Phoenix.

In August, the city announced that P.B. Bell and Davis Enterprises were selected as the recommended proposer through the Request for Proposal (RFP) process, Johnson said.

“We are currently in the negotiation phase of the RFP process to agree on business terms,” Johnson said. “Once those terms have been reached, the project will be presented to City Council for their consideration and authorization to enter into agreements.”

RELATED: Two companies to renovate Barrister building

In order to obtain that longevity, organizations such as Downtown Voices Coalition and Downtown Phoenix Inc. play a role in preserving the buildings.

“We routinely advocate for smart and sustainable development, which often should include preservation,” said Tim Eigo, chair of the Downtown Voices Coalition. “Our members were also heavily involved in recent efforts to reduce obstacles to adaptive reuse. We believe that effort will end up preserving some great structures.”

Other organizations — like Preserve Phoenix, a non-profit advocacy group; the Phoenix Historic Neighborhoods Coalition; and Modern Phoenix, a neighborhood organization — work together to preserve historic buildings.

The Phoenix Historic Preservation Office and Commission, Arizona Vintage Sign Coalition and the Arizona Preservation Foundation have also worked with business and city officials to strive to protect the city’s remaining cultural legacy, Eigo said.

“Buildings are not (necessarily) museums, and their interior uses can rarely remain the same over generations,” Eigo said. “Whatever their interior use, our historic buildings, when properly preserved, offer residents and passers-by a massive benefit.”

Bringing more people to downtown to increase the number of people present adds to the vibrancy of the city and economic activity, said Dan Klocke, vice president of development for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership (DPP).

“DPI works with business, community and government leaders to help downtown progress in a way that is beneficial to everyone living, working and visiting,” Klocke said.

In terms of economic development, DPP and DPI work with businesses, property owners, developers and the brokerage community to attract investment in new and growing businesses or development of new or existing buildings Klocke said.

“The Barrister building is a great historic structure which has been underutilized for many years,” Klocke said.

Sales-tax revenues and rent taxes on the apartments will provide more income to the city as well.

“By reinvesting in the building as apartments, it will bring more people to downtown who will spend money at the retail and restaurants in the area,” Klocke said.

The entire city is strengthened by working together to leverage more investment and attract business and development, Klocke said.

“Reinvention and innovation are the hallmarks of every successful city throughout history,” Eigo said. “The opposite qualities are what make cities unimpressive and forgettable. We aim for better than that.”

Contact the reporter at Alyssa.Tufts@asu.edu

http://downtowndevil.com/2014/11/19/...041a-355686605

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 6:41 PM

Barrister Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtnphx View Post
Barrister Place building continues 'request for proposal' process to finalize terms

A historic building in downtown Phoenix, which was used for location shots of Alfred Hitchcock’s 1960 movie “Psycho,” is being renovated into an apartment complex.

The Barrister Place building on Central Avenue will be renovated into 114 rental apartments, ground-floor commercial space and the adaptive reuse of the historic building, said Eric Johnson, economic development program manager for the Community and Economic Development Department with the city of Phoenix.

In August, the city announced that P.B. Bell and Davis Enterprises were selected as the recommended proposer through the Request for Proposal (RFP) process, Johnson said.

“We are currently in the negotiation phase of the RFP process to agree on business terms,” Johnson said. “Once those terms have been reached, the project will be presented to City Council for their consideration and authorization to enter into agreements.”

RELATED: Two companies to renovate Barrister building

In order to obtain that longevity, organizations such as Downtown Voices Coalition and Downtown Phoenix Inc. play a role in preserving the buildings.

“We routinely advocate for smart and sustainable development, which often should include preservation,” said Tim Eigo, chair of the Downtown Voices Coalition. “Our members were also heavily involved in recent efforts to reduce obstacles to adaptive reuse. We believe that effort will end up preserving some great structures.”

Other organizations — like Preserve Phoenix, a non-profit advocacy group; the Phoenix Historic Neighborhoods Coalition; and Modern Phoenix, a neighborhood organization — work together to preserve historic buildings.

The Phoenix Historic Preservation Office and Commission, Arizona Vintage Sign Coalition and the Arizona Preservation Foundation have also worked with business and city officials to strive to protect the city’s remaining cultural legacy, Eigo said.

“Buildings are not (necessarily) museums, and their interior uses can rarely remain the same over generations,” Eigo said. “Whatever their interior use, our historic buildings, when properly preserved, offer residents and passers-by a massive benefit.”

Bringing more people to downtown to increase the number of people present adds to the vibrancy of the city and economic activity, said Dan Klocke, vice president of development for the Downtown Phoenix Partnership (DPP).

“DPI works with business, community and government leaders to help downtown progress in a way that is beneficial to everyone living, working and visiting,” Klocke said.

In terms of economic development, DPP and DPI work with businesses, property owners, developers and the brokerage community to attract investment in new and growing businesses or development of new or existing buildings Klocke said.

“The Barrister building is a great historic structure which has been underutilized for many years,” Klocke said.

Sales-tax revenues and rent taxes on the apartments will provide more income to the city as well.

“By reinvesting in the building as apartments, it will bring more people to downtown who will spend money at the retail and restaurants in the area,” Klocke said.

The entire city is strengthened by working together to leverage more investment and attract business and development, Klocke said.

“Reinvention and innovation are the hallmarks of every successful city throughout history,” Eigo said. “The opposite qualities are what make cities unimpressive and forgettable. We aim for better than that.”

Contact the reporter at Alyssa.Tufts@asu.edu

http://downtowndevil.com/2014/11/19/...041a-355686605
Still would like to know what happened to that guy from L.A. that was going to make this building a medical records building along with building a 1 million square foot building at 16th and Buckeye. Dude talked a hell of a fight.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 9:45 PM
Modulator

Google Future phoenix Downtown Developments Map

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this before. I searched the forum and didn't see any refernces to it. A nice little Google map utility that shows most of the pending development locations of the Phoenix CBD if anyone wants to take a gander or find quick location references to any projects we are discussing. If this has been posted before, I apologize. Or maybe an update for those of us that didn't know about it. Comes in handy for me since I am relatively new to Phoenix and don't know my way around as well as others.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...&oe=UTF8&msa=0

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 6:49 AM

This could be because I'm young (only in mid 20s), but I am confused why there is a lack of development in the Biltmore area... I feel like its prime location and has a lot of potential, but I've only known it to what it is today. Can anyone fill me in on the history? Are there or have there been development proposals in the 2000s/2010s on this area?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfiredude View Post
This could be because I'm young (only in mid 20s), but I am confused why there is a lack of development in the Biltmore area... I feel like its prime location and has a lot of potential, but I've only known it to what it is today. Can anyone fill me in on the history? Are there or have there been development proposals in the 2000s/2010s on this area?
There has been quite a bit of development in the Biltmore area compared to any other part of central Phoenix, actually. Almost every midrise/highrise in the area was constructed during the boom years, and there has been a large increase in residential development on the outskirts in areas like Arcadia/Camelback East/etc. over the last year or two.

There were many proposals for even greater density during the boom days until the neighborhoods 'revolted' and forced a height limit for the area. This was mainly in response to Donald Trump's proposal for a condotel on the site that now houses The Broadstone Camelback apartments on 16th/Camelback. At the same time, the Biltmore Fashion Center and Town & Country Malls were planning on adding residential towers to their properties.

Between the recession and the building height restraint, things in the immediate vicinity of the Biltmore have calmed down a bit. Many feel that it should never have become a district for dense/highrise development, and only leeched off the already struggling downtown and midtown areas. It's also been completely suburbanized in its design - none of the buildings really address the street, there are very few mixed use buildings, and the automobile is definitely the dominant mode of transportation and building patterns have followed suit. The buildings may be tall, but there's nothing urban about them.

While most of the companies located in the area probably would've chosen areas like North Scottsdale had development been limited in the area, I can't help but wish the area around Camelback/Central had developed into more of an upscale hub with residential properties like the Esplanade and Optima, or at least imagine what downtown might be like with even half the employment that went to the Biltmore area and the residential and retail that would have followed.

Old article on the Biltmore Fashion Center towers: http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/mon....html?mode=jqm
Rendering of the towers: http://www.supafly.com/images/journa...ark_aerial.jpg

Old article on the proposed Trump towers and the neighborhood's fight for a 56-foot height limit: http://www.weknowurban.com/blog/2005...r-az-republic/

Last edited by Jjs5056; Nov 20, 2014 at 7:17 AM.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 12:10 AM

Pretty disappointed with the the Barrister property. I had assumed from original articles and renderings that called for a "boutique mixed use residential community" that all 3 buildings (Barrister + 2 new ones) would be residential over retail, but looks like that's not the case at all.

According to this article, only the Barrister building will contain retail. The remaining two buildings will contain parking and residential, with no retail. What a waste for ANY of these buildings to be devoted to parking when they have the interior alley and parking area to work with, and the structures are only 6 stories to begin with. All of this work, with the RFP and such, for only 114 apartments? Lame.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...ment/15280305/

The new building on Central should have retail as it will have light rail passing it in the future, and is directly across from both Luhrs and the new Marriotts, while the new building on Jefferson should have retail as it is directly across from CityScape. 114~ apartments and parking... on a key historic property. That is pretty pathetic.

ROOSEVELT ROW
In other news, the owners of Greenhaus are closing up shop in February; that's a pretty big hit with Songbird also leaving. Wonder how that ties into the rumor that this building and the old Scientology building may be redeveloped?

ARTSPACE
Lastly, Artspace was in town seeking input on a possible community here in Phoenix. It's kind of odd reading the article and comments and seeing such isolated structures or land being recommended for live/work artist units. With how fragile Roosevelt/Evans Churchill is already, I think it's imperative they go somewhere in the immediate vicinity or Roosevelt Row. There are so many lots perfect for such development between Hance Park and Roosevelt; I'd love to see these somewhere between Moreland and Portland on 1st St.

http://downtowndevil.com/2014/11/20/...art-community/

Last edited by Jjs5056; Nov 21, 2014 at 12:32 AM.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2014, 6:32 PM
BANNED

WOOD PARTNERS BUYS LAND FOR 220-UNIT APARTMENT COMPLEX IN DOWNTOWN PHOENIX

7th Ave and Fillmore. A portion of historic structure will come down to make way for this, btw.

http://brewaz.com/content/index_stor..._date=November

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 1:06 AM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:

7th Ave and Fillmore. A portion of historic structure will come down to make way for this, btw.

Should that come as a surprise? Another historic structure being jeopardized because the empty lots are to pristine to build on, sigh.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 1:34 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:

I'm on my phone right now and it's tough to see. Which historic building is it? I can't think of a historic building (or at least a building on the historic register) that's right around there off the top of my head.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 2:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butta View Post
Should that come as a surprise? Another historic structure being jeopardized because the empty lots are to pristine to build on, sigh.
Ha, I thought the same too when I read that. And another GATED COMMUNITY, just what we need!

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 3:01 AM
Skyriser

It's the building directly north of Milum Textiles with the terraced-looking facade and block glass facing 7th Ave that's getting razed. I'd hardly consider that building to be any loss, but maybe it has good bones underneath that awful stucco facade. Apparently, it dates to 1928, but really its only merits are its age for a young city and that it's built up to the street--but with no sidewalk space on awful 7th Avenue I don't even know if that counts--not like anyone's proposing to narrow that nonsense and making it not entirely hostile to pedestrians.

I have *always* hated the Morgensen property north of it and am glad to see it go--wasn't that a charter school of some sort back in the day?

The worst part is building a 4 story building with low density on one of the only parcels in Phoenix that allows something twelve times higher and four times as dense. I'd be shocked as shit if this thing even remotely conformed to Urban Form and didn't leave a slew of deadzones everywhere.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 3:38 AM
A City's where I'll die

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
It's the building directly north of Milum Textiles with the terraced-looking facade and block glass facing 7th Ave that's getting razed. I'd hardly consider that building to be any loss, but maybe it has good bones underneath that awful stucco facade. Apparently, it dates to 1928, but really its only merits are its age for a young city and that it's built up to the street--but with no sidewalk space on awful 7th Avenue I don't even know if that counts--not like anyone's proposing to narrow that nonsense and making it not entirely hostile to pedestrians.

I have *always* hated the Morgensen property north of it and am glad to see it go--wasn't that a charter school of some sort back in the day?

The worst part is building a 4 story building with low density on one of the only parcels in Phoenix that allows something twelve times higher and four times as dense. I'd be shocked as shit if this thing even remotely conformed to Urban Form and didn't leave a slew of deadzones everywhere.
I know you know this so I won't make too much of a deal, and I'm not a conservationist by any means, but the point is there has to be a balance of structures in this town in order for it to become a "real" city. Too many old buildings is as bad as too many new buildings, this city is so homogenized now, any old structure should be considered for preservation and restoration.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2014, 3:39 AM

I've given up on any developments conforming to Urban Form. The monstrosities being built by the Bio and ASU campuses are evidence that nobody is holding anyone accountable to it.

I'm not sure a 4-story gated community could be considered "urban and walkable" - not that anything built on 7th Avenue in that part of town could really ever fit that description. Who would pay "upscale" prices to live on that traffic-congested nightmare? There's lots to the east that are way more important in terms of infill like this. Why is that the low-income/senior/Native American projects get prime pieces of land and 'upscale' communities are left gated out on the fringes? I have nothing wrong with a mix of incomes, in fact I welcome it, but it seems like you'd want those with a disposable income as close to the retail centers as possible, with denser cheaper units out on areas like the 7's?

Also, call me crazy but the building being razed actually looking pretty good to me; it's built up to the street which this complex won't be, it has an interesting parapet detail, and you can see the brickwork on the south and east sides of the building. With a modern apartment complex north of it, it could've made for a unique retail center or performance venue. In fact, from the east, it looks connected to the Texile Mill - certainly, that whole structure won't be coming down?

On further viewing, I wouldn't be surprised if the only building being demo'd is the former school; it looks like brick construction, so may be considered historic in some sense? I hope that's the case. It would be a pretty huge assemblage to go all the way south to the Textile site.

Last edited by Jjs5056; Nov 26, 2014 at 4:06 AM.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 4:17 AM

Article on 44 Monroe being 99% leased and the current demand downtown for mid-range, affordable housing. I feel like this has been the story for years now, and yet not a single project has broken ground aside from the MetroWest Townhomes on 3rd and Roosevelt Pointe.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/n...n-phoenix.html

I really hope the new year brings groundbreakings for at least Union and McKinley/4th.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2014, 3:13 PM

Good article on the Sheraton that talks about the future of US Airways Center. Apparently there is thought of putting it on 3rd and Jefferson. I assume they are talking about Phoenix Civic Plaza. I wouldn't be opposed to that. Maybe then we'd finally see a mixed use project on the vacant lot across the street.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...oney/19564573/

Old Posted Nov 28, 2014, 8:44 PM

^If they did build another arena in that spot (which would be a step in the right direction), would they demolish the current one? And if so, what would the chances of a mixed use project being built or something like a major attraction? Maybe the roads could be reconnected and soften up the lot size.

Some small news tidbits: According to an article I've read from the owners of Songbird, the GreenHaus plans to be demolished for housing and a restaurant will move into the Dressing Room space. Desoto Market looks to be coming along nicely (via FB). And a few days ago the Grid Bike share made its debut in Central Phoenix, I think it would be awesome if they put some stations in Old Town Scottsdale and Biltmore Area.

Any updates on the Union, Portland Place, or McKinley/5th St apartments? Has construction started on the Luhrs Hotel or Hotel Monroe?

Gee, Tempe will look like Miami before Phx gets one decent building off the ground.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 1:10 AM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
And a few days ago the Grid Bike share made its debut in Central Phoenix, I think it would be awesome if they put some stations in Old Town Scottsdale and Biltmore Area.
I wouldn't be surprised to see some in the Biltmore area eventually. As far as I know, Scottsdale is sitting this regional initiative out -- just as it has done with light rail.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
^If they did build another arena in that spot (which would be a step in the right direction), would they demolish the current one? And if so, what would the chances of a mixed use project being built or something like a major attraction? Maybe the roads could be reconnected and soften up the lot size.

Some small news tidbits: According to an article I've read from the owners of Songbird, the GreenHaus plans to be demolished for housing and a restaurant will move into the Dressing Room space. Desoto Market looks to be coming along nicely (via FB). And a few days ago the Grid Bike share made its debut in Central Phoenix, I think it would be awesome if they put some stations in Old Town Scottsdale and Biltmore Area.

Any updates on the Union, Portland Place, or McKinley/5th St apartments? Has construction started on the Luhrs Hotel or Hotel Monroe?

Gee, Tempe will look like Miami before Phx gets one decent building off the ground.
Is The Dressing Room where Songbird is now?

I hope that the housing project is real for the corner of 3rd/Roosevelt opposite Roosevelt Pointe. As long as it is, I don't mind the demo of GreenHaus; right now, that corner is very pedestrian unfriendly and, honestly, that entire strip of Roosevelt needs some TLC.

As far as USAC goes, I really hope it doesn't move locations. Look how long the Colliers/CityScape lot has set vacant... if the current arena is demo'd, I ha ve no doubt it would be replaced with parking for a VERY long time. And, while Civic Plaza isn't an urban treasure, neither will be a new arena. With it will become at least 2-3 deadzones, and the new location is further into the core of downtown. The last thing that area needs is more parking or back-of-house fortresses.

If designed perfectly, and if a new project was proposed along with it for the current location that extended Madison and served as a connection between downtown into the Warehouse District, I'd support it. But, reality is that we wouldn't be getting that kind of quality OR quantity.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest