HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 5:42 PM

Business Journal Poll: Tear down 29% of Warehouse District buildings

Saw this poll on the Phoenix Business Journal and was pretty much floored.
I figured there would be a small percentage of people who felt this way but basically 1/3? Just wow.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/poll/results/9650872

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 9:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Saw this poll on the Phoenix Business Journal and was pretty much floored.
I figured there would be a small percentage of people who felt this way but basically 1/3? Just wow.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/poll/results/9650872
It is extremly sad, but I can't say that I'm surprised. In fact, I am susprised it isn't closer to 50%. It comes down to the conversation we were having in the Phoenix thread, and the New York Times article someone posted (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/21/us...nted=all&_r=1&).
There is no value placed on history in this city. And most people can't look past ugly stucco facades and paint that has been caked over really cool looking buildings.

I am not going to give out names, because it could get me in trouble, but for every Michael Levine, the owners of Postino's, and other people that actualy fight to keep existing buildings, there are 20 other influential and wealthy people that would rather tear down stuff and start over. I have gotten in arguments with clinets over trying to keep at least parts of exisiting structures. Maybe it is just the type of clients I have had, but it stems down to not having the imagination or the will to want to make their program fit into something, rather than just do it from scratch.

And it is not only something that is the developer's or client's fault. I remeber an architect I worked her kept arguing with a client that they should tear down the old brick house they wanted to create an addition for and just build the whole thing over again. The architect said the reason was because it would be a lot easier and cheaper to do it over. Luckly, the clients stuck to their guns and keppt the old structure, but for many meetings after that, the architect kept trying to get them to change their mind. To the point that by the time the final design was made, only three exising walls remained. In my opinion, we could have kept everything; but that architect wanted to take the easy way out.

We need to change this mentality before we lose too much of what is there. And not only our pre-1950's stuff. We have such an amazing collection of mid-century modern architecture, it would be a shame to see it go.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 10:12 PM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arquitect View Post
We need to change this mentality before we lose too much of what is there. And not only our pre-1950's stuff. We have such an amazing collection of mid-century modern architecture, it would be a shame to see it go.
Indeed, this is the big thing now. We pretty much screwed the pooch on the majority of pre-war Phoenix. We can't let the same happen with our amazing stock of Mid Century Modern buildings. Luckily because of things like the Mid Century Marvels book and ModernPhoenix.net, we're already creating an activism and civic buy in about Modern architecture.

Phoenix's Historic neighborhoods have been extremely strong since their inception, and the next step is to now start designating new "Historic" district. Perhaps they'll be called "Modern" districts. Places like Paradise Gardens, Windemere, etc. ought to have the same status as Willo, Encanto Palmcroft, etc.

Old Posted Oct 25, 2012, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Indeed, this is the big thing now. We pretty much screwed the pooch on the majority of pre-war Phoenix. We can't let the same happen with our amazing stock of Mid Century Modern buildings. Luckily because of things like the Mid Century Marvels book and ModernPhoenix.net, we're already creating an activism and civic buy in about Modern architecture.

Phoenix's Historic neighborhoods have been extremely strong since their inception, and the next step is to now start designating new "Historic" district. Perhaps they'll be called "Modern" districts. Places like Paradise Gardens, Windemere, etc. ought to have the same status as Willo, Encanto Palmcroft, etc.
Yes, we must preserve those neighborhoods as a whole. Of course, renovations and remodels can use those existing bones to create more density, or fit the needs of the owners better. But having patches of what onces was would really be a huge loss.

I would also like to see most of the work done by AZ's best mid-century architects protected, so we don't end up into problems like the Wright house in the future. People like Al Beadle and Benny Gonzales didn't only do great work here, but were a great influence in the valley, lived here, and cared deeply about what was going on.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest