HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jun 30, 2011, 5:40 AM
surely you agree with me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
The energy sector is constantly evolving and I highly doubt that companies like Suncor, Imperial Oil, EnCana, CNRL, and Cenovus will simply roll over and close down the shop when oil runs dry. Based on the knowledge of the oil and gas industry and the established energy sector already based in Calgary, the city will continue to be the energy centre of Canada, whatever that future form of energy will be.
those companies may not close their doors but many will downsize and most will relocate to wherever the next energy source is coming from....all the advantages that calgary has today is because oil revenues can be translated into lower taxes....it will be a few decades yet, but oil dominance will not last forever and when it is no longer the global currency, calgary will lose its advantage to somewhere else....

if hydrogen fuel cells become the next global energy source do you really think the dominant players in that industry will be based in calgary?....its more likely that they will move to somewhere with water because those locations will be able to offer the same revenue based incentives that calgary does today....the educated workforce will move right along with it and the glass towers will spring up behind them.

the building blocks are in place for calgary to make the transition to a more diverse economy but it isnt reasonable to believe that it will be the powerhouse that it is today once the global economy is not petroleum based.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 7:34 PM
gettin' rich!

Yonge and Eglinton of the Future

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...1&pro_id=11200

http://www.worldarchitecturenews.com...pload_id=11200

Right now Yonge and Eglinton is small time / LRT line which will begin construction underground on Eglinton in the next month or two might change this

http://www.flickr.com/photos/news46/...n/photostream/
News46 at flickr.com

Last edited by caltrane74; Jul 4, 2011 at 7:50 PM.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 9:39 PM

wtf?!?! ^^^
is that a real proposal?....... i'm more interested in the Yonge/Eglinton exterior overhaul renovation thing,

Old Posted Jul 4, 2011, 10:02 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
wtf?!?! ^^^
is that a real proposal?....... i'm more interested in the Yonge/Eglinton exterior overhaul renovation thing,
I think it's just a massing execise. Those buildings which are rendered are on the vacant TTC Lands at Yonge and Eglinton.

For the record I am also looking forward to the recladding of Eginton Centre in addition to the 7 extra floors that will be constructed above the existing building. Seems to be taking forever to get started though.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 5:41 PM
gettin' rich!

Conceptual look at the skyline of Cityplace West to Liberty Village

http://www.librarydistrictcondo.com/...st_Library.pdf

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 8:37 PM

where is SIGNATURE!?!?! ^^^
BTW: anyone know how far away we are from seeing activity on site/an actual proposal???? months, years???!?!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2011, 8:46 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveve View Post
where is SIGNATURE!?!?! ^^^
BTW: anyone know how far away we are from seeing activity on site/an actual proposal???? months, years???!?!
I thought we would see a proposal this spring for Signature. But Concord has purchased more land, and is moving forward with other projects before Signature starts. We might not see a real proposal for the site until the fall of 2012 at the earliest.

The rendering above was done by Context, not Concord-Adex which explains the absence of Signature as well. (They don't care one way or the other, as that tower is not part of their parcel of land at Cityplace)

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 7:00 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

That render ticks me off. Cityplace looks to becomming a tabletop height. All of the tallest are about 150 metres. I wish they would put a few up that break the cycle. Signature may be 220, or 250 metres, who knows, but SOMETHING taller than 150-160 metres in the meantime please...

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 5:04 PM
Transit Nerd

Someone should make a rendering for Winnipeg, plus all of our new towers going up

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
Someone should make a rendering for Winnipeg, plus all of our new towers going up
That would be really cool!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2011, 5:51 PM
gettin' rich!

Someone needs to bust open their can of MS Paint and get-to-sketching!

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 3:40 AM
R2-D2's army of death

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
I'd love to see that. Isn't Winnipeg/Manitoba one of the fastest growing cities/provinces?
Franky: Ajldub, name calling is what they do when good arguments can't be found - don't sink to their level. Claiming the thread is "boring" is also a way to try to discredit a thread that doesn't match their particular bias.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 4:57 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamaican-Phoenix View Post
I'd love to see that. Isn't Winnipeg/Manitoba one of the fastest growing cities/provinces?
Yes and no .
It's growing at a good clip these days but while growth is on the upswing for both the city and the province , neither holds a candle to say Alberta or even B.C. It's really just by comparison to the previous few decades that we say Manitoba is 'booming' .

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 7:05 PM

^ not true.
BC's population has slowed considerably. International immigration is down 50% in the first half of the year compared to last and probably more importantly BC had a net OUTFLOW of migrants with the rest of the country. It's the first time in a decade as many are realizing that an $80k a year job is a one way ticket to poverty. Rest assured thou, real estate will keep going up in Vancouver.............SFH prices just hit yet another record high last month in Vancouver now averaging $1.388 million. It's just $1.2 million if you are willing to forgo a bathroom.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2011, 9:50 PM
gettin' rich!

hey, if real estate prices are going up, because someone from out of the country is parking money there, that's good! - There is probably enough to share, so stick around. There are enough real estate agents in BC, and - I recently got one that is not even the top Real Estate agent to drop 7k in advertising with me. - NOT EVEN THE TOP REAL ESTATE agent. Trust me, these guys are rolling. - my buddy, did manage to snag the top agent in Vancouver to do advertising with us as well.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 7:08 AM

Having Hong Kong investors buy out Vancouver is terrible for the city.

If no one can afford to live there the whole market collapses.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Having Hong Kong investors buy out Vancouver is terrible for the city.

If no one can afford to live there the whole market collapses.
Well if the market collapses price will become affordable again and then inflate again. It almost sounds like a cycle or something.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 12:53 PM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
^ not true.
BC's population has slowed considerably. International immigration is down 50% in the first half of the year compared to last and probably more importantly BC had a net OUTFLOW of migrants with the rest of the country. It's the first time in a decade as many are realizing that an $80k a year job is a one way ticket to poverty. Rest assured thou, real estate will keep going up in Vancouver.............SFH prices just hit yet another record high last month in Vancouver now averaging $1.388 million. It's just $1.2 million if you are willing to forgo a bathroom.
Oh ... I had no idea . Actually , come to think of it , yeah , I seem to remember hearing something about that (population stuff I mean) but I guess I ignored it . Thanks for the info . Pretty surprising though , that's for sure .

As for housing prices , they've always been a bit ridiculous based on what pretty much everybody has ever told me . I mean , I certainly understand why a new home would be more expensive there but the Lower Mainland in general has GOT to be reaching a tipping point . I have no idea how the GVR is doing as far as population growth is concerned but if the province as a whole is seeing no growth , that must affect Vancouver somewhere down the line . It would seem that the region is , strangely enough , pricing itself out of its own market if such a thing is even possible .

Mind you , people have probably been saying that for decades now .

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 8:40 PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lindsey...8284/lightbox/

look to the left, thats Bloor, the middle will be Aura/ Nations Bank, the right the original cbd, no doubt TO is denser....but the trad. veiw of Toronto doesn't tell the whole story, same with Atlanta.!

Montreal certainly dont do that!!

Old Posted Jul 9, 2011, 9:59 PM
gettin' rich!

While not as dense as Toronto or Montreal's skylines. Atlanta's primary and secondary skylines are nothing to sneeze at.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada