HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure

View Poll Results: Which rapid transit line would you like to see most?
Hastings 32 15.69%
Vancouver - Other 70 34.31%
North Shore 40 19.61%
Pitt Meadows/Maple Ridge 2 0.98%
Tsawwassen/Ferries 10 4.90%
Surrey - Guilford 16 7.84%
Surrey - Newton 11 5.39%
South Surrey/White Rock/Border 5 2.45%
Langley 10 4.90%
Abbotsford 5 2.45%
Other 3 1.47%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:16 PM

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:29 PM

I'd love to see the Expo Line being extended from Waterfront Station to the north shore via Hastings & Second Narrows. As for others, UBC and PoCo extensions are definitely a priority

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegotheartist1 View Post
I'd love to see the Expo Line being extended from Waterfront Station to the north shore via Hastings & Second Narrows. As for others, UBC and PoCo extensions are definitely a priority
They're certainly ambitious plans, but not unrealistic. I really hope that there is enough support to keep moving forward with increased transit development. The SkyTrain lines have certainly proven their worth and it would be nice to be ahead of the curve (and let transit lead development) rather than have to play catch-up yet again a few decades down the road.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvisforme View Post
They're certainly ambitious plans, but not unrealistic. I really hope that there is enough support to keep moving forward with increased transit development. The SkyTrain lines have certainly proven their worth and it would be nice to be ahead of the curve (and let transit lead development) rather than have to play catch-up yet again a few decades down the road.
Do you think any new Skytrain route say to the North Shore be dependent on densification or would they just keep whatever town centre OCPs as is?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 6:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Do you think any new Skytrain route say to the North Shore be dependent on densification or would they just keep whatever town centre OCPs as is?
Do you mean densification as is, or projected densification after rrt is built?
I think rrt anywhere causes densification where it goes.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Do you mean densification as is, or projected densification after rrt is built?
I think rrt anywhere causes densification where it goes.
I just wonder how the North Shore NIMBYs will react to that aspect of rapid transit.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:21 PM

Quote:
The North Shore already has some areas designated as a focus for higher density growth, and I would guess that they would keep to those plans due to the challenges posed by the terrain. The proposals for RapidBus and SkyTrain for the North Shore all seem to include areas such as central/lower Lonsdale, Lynn Valley, and Lynnmour/Maplewood as targets for stations.

Quote:
I just wonder how the North Shore NIMBYs will react to that aspect of rapid transit.
You are correct in that there will be opposition to large-scale densification. However, I do feel that there is an acceptance that there may have to be compromises in order to keep the North Shore "lifestyle" that many value. By that, I mean that residents may accept RapidBus and SeaBus over ALRT if it means the growth is managed. The North Shore has been sheltered to a degree from the extremely rapid growth seen in other municipalities, but it is not entirely due to wealth or NIMBYism. Those are certainly factors, of course, but the terrain and limited access across the inlet also serve to reduce the practical level for population density. Even if we do get SkyTrain onto the North Shore, it is not practical in the near or medium future to extend rapid service across the entire land base compared to what one can do relatively easily in Burnaby or Surrey.

Last edited by Tvisforme; Apr 19, 2021 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave2 View Post
Network A (SkyTrain, RapidBus) and Network B (SkyTrain, streetcar, RapidBus).

Far as I can tell, there is absolutely nothing to warrant a streetcar on most of those extra routes - come to think of it, not much to warrant a RapidBus either.

Last edited by Migrant_Coconut; Apr 20, 2021 at 5:51 PM. Reason: Link fixed

Old Posted Apr 19, 2021, 10:44 PM

If Network A was fully implemented, Vancouver would have truly world class transit.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:15 AM

Oh wow, Network A would be a dream come true. SkyTrain along Hastings to North Shore and via Brentwood to Metrotown. Even along 41st Avenue? This is like the fantasy thread come true if this happens by 2050. They better start building!

Extension to Port Coquitlam should be so easy and cheap compared to anything else that they should just go for it.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:16 AM

Quote:
I think for the most part this transit route avoids the NIMBYest parts of the North Shore completely; I've spoken about this with my very NIMBY mother who lives somewhat nearby and her sentiment is essentially "I'm not going to use it, but it's far enough from me not to be disturbed and if it takes drivers off the Second Narrow's I'm all for it!"

Network A definitely seems like a copy-paste from the average Transit Fantasy thread post. Hastings Line, 41st Line, North Shore Skytrain, Willingdon Line, Poco Extension, Newton Line, it's all there. Very exciting.

I suppose this essentially answers the current topic of this thread, since it's in both Network A and Network B, the next line will be the Hastings Line + North Shore Crossing/Willingdon.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 12:58 AM

Network A for me, it is the most reasonable and puts quality over quantity which so far has been a winning strategy.

Interesting that the Arbutus street car / LRT is missing from both scenarios.

Network B seems a little aimless and cluttered.

Also want to know more about the regional routes, hopefully some of those are heavy rail (and hopefully service expansion of the WCE is still considered).

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 1:30 AM

The Willingdon Expo Line extension would also act as downtown relief line. With very limited stops coming out of North Van, you could allocate 2 out of 3 trains to Willingdon, which would give a peak capacity of at least 16 000 pphpd. And if the limiting factor for Expo Line capacity are the switches at Waterfront, then maybe having branch lines going to North Van and Burnaby instead, increases the current theoretical capacity. Maybe closer to 30 000 pphpd?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:01 AM

I still think it's best to limit the Expo's reach after Langley. A network works best with redundancies, and having one big multi-branching SkyTrain line for half the metro doesn't offer any.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:03 AM

Agreed, Network A for me too.

I don't understand the thinking behind LRT on both 41st and 49th under Network B , though could be BRT.

Here's a link to the relevant documents:

Transport 2050 Technical Documents
https://engagetranslink.ca/transport...ical-documents

Last edited by officedweller; Apr 20, 2021 at 2:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diegotheartist1 View Post
Build a different line, if you want your fantasy extension.

Having so much of the system tied to one line is a recipe for disaster. One link in the chain goes down and whoo-hoo it's the six-o'clock news.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 2:49 AM

The North Shore / Hastings / Willingdon project should not be an extension of the Expo Line but an entirely new line that branches south of Burrard Inlet. That was the Hastings branch could be further extended west into downtown past Waterfront.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:44 AM

Agreed, no need to go to Waterfront Station.
Burrard is overloaded - so maybe Granville Station with a new access point from the Bay Parkade development
or between Vancouver City Centre Station and Granville Station with a linking concourse.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Agreed, no need to go to Waterfront Station.
Burrard is overloaded - so maybe Granville Station with a new access point from the Bay Parkade development
or between Vancouver City Centre Station and Granville Station with a linking concourse.
Yes, I was actually thinking of having a gas town station, and then from there it has a station at Granville that could create a true major hub with Granville Expo Line Station and Canada Line Van City Centre Station. After that a couple more stations could be added all the way to Stanley Park / English Bay.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2021, 4:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro-One View Post
Yes, I was actually thinking of having a gas town station, and then from there it has a station at Granville that could create a true major hub with Granville Expo Line Station and Canada Line Van City Centre Station. After that a couple more stations could be added all the way to Stanley Park / English Bay.
Given the soil quality (and likely underground utility locations) in the area, I think a Gastown station would prove to be quite difficult anywhere north of Hastings.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure