HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brod3211 View Post
Hahahaha where do you work and where do they work? ... how old are you ? and well i can't say much to that other than Congrat SJ 1 guy moved to your city from Montreal in 2003 woo thats 4 years ago and then 5 more people congrats on that too your population has dropped by 500-1000 then you got 6 people !! when you start seeing the population percentage above 0 instead of below then act like an adult and talk to me I told you already I don't care about this bickering and i didnt want to get into but because you have the mind of a 13 year old and dont understand that SJ doesnt care about 6 people you are all worthless to them now if you were 200 people that might be different. You came for school and stayed for work why is that maybe because well you went to UNBSJ a crappy break off of UNB Fredericton... and thats why your still here because you wnet to a crappy uni... then couldnt pay for anything else so you were stuck there because you couldnt afford to move.
Seriously guys, if you stopped responding to his drivel, he would go away.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 7:08 PM

Im just gonna stop now and this will be my last statement ... I made a normal comment back two days ago about how NB could become better but the immature Micheal_d40 had to start your 25 but yet choose to make fun and act like a child .... im assuming your sitting at your desk right now eating a Big mac with your gut hanging on your desk with a phone tucked against your ear. You clearly dont look at the idea that Some people like SJ but when people look for work they dont look for the best downtown they look for a good paying job which are found in Moncton.... I have nothing or never will have nothing against SJ. I could end up living there one day and well I don't care where I live why because im not immature like most of you people on here. If you look throught the pages alot of comments on here are Moncton Bashing comments if you removed all those comments youd have 20 -30 pages of stuff that actuall means something Moncton Thread has one or two bickering pages and it was all because of SJtoko not Micheal as i noted in a comment a day or more ago anyways i didnt come on here to fight i just wanted to see what was happening and i wanted to speak my mind on getting the cities together to work on drawing people her but dick face there decided that fighting was more fun then listening. Bye and I won't try to mention how to fix populations in either city ill let you guys come up with topics other than Moncton Bashing but from what I see all you can think of is Moncton so clearly your afraid that they will just get bigger which is possible. what does it matter if i write good on the internet its not a test im a excellent writer i just choose to make it easier by not being perfect on the internet

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 9:07 PM
Harbour Passage User

Open book policy for public consulation for new uptown development
January 22, 2008 - 6:10 am
By: News 88-9 staff-Jeff Lansing

Saint John-The mayor and city staff have unveiled the public consultation details for the proposed North of Union development.
The public engagement wil include a project website, a newsletter, stakeholder meeting, and at least two open houses.

Deputy city manager Pat Woods says they'll be an open book, and hoping for ideas to improve the development.

Woods says the project which is to include the police headquarters, a courthouse, and a parking garage, is the biggest he's seen in his fifteen years with the city, so it's important to get it right.
The first open house will be January 30th at 7 o'clock at the Delta. The website is expected to be up by the end of the week.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 9:13 PM

I live on princess and my sightlines mean little to me. I can look in 3 directions and see water, If one of them were to dissapear for a beautiful building that could help populate uptown more so be it. In my opinion if people want to see the water buy an apartment in Rocca's new building. It upsets me that people who don't own the property have say on what someone else could put there. Queen street is what 3 or 4 blocks away if the neighbors had a problem with the height than thats a different stroy.

It seems selfish to block other peoples ambitions just for the simplicity of being able to see water my advice do not live so far inland and you'll never have to worry about. Hell live on an island and your entire life will consist of seeing water.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 9:16 PM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
Im just gonna stop now and this will be my last statement

Marvelous.

Quote:
im assuming your sitting at your desk right now eating a Big mac with your gut hanging on your desk with a phone tucked against your ear

Inflammatroy remark simply designed to antagonize people.

Quote:
I have nothing or never will have nothing against SJ. I could end up living there one day and well I don't care where I live why because im not immature like most of you people on here.

Very little insight, judging from the tone of your previous postings.

Quote:
anyways i didnt come on here to fight i just wanted to see what was happening and i wanted to speak my mind on getting the cities together to work on drawing people her

Fair enough - then from here on in, if you choose to contribute, please try and reflect your stated benevolent intention in the tone of your postings.

Quote:
Bye and I won't try to mention how to fix populations in either city ill let you guys come up with topics other than Moncton Bashing but from what I see all you can think of is Moncton so clearly your afraid that they will just get bigger which is possible.

Interesting, if somewhat linear and unsophisticated viewpoint. And goodbye to you as well.

Quote:
i'm excellent writer i just choose to make it easier by not being perfect on the internet

Good for you & much appreciated.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 9:55 PM
Harbour Passage User

I live on princess and my sightlines mean little to me. I can look in 3 directions and see water, If one of them were to dissapear for a beautiful building that could help populate uptown more so be it. In my opinion if people want to see the water buy an apartment in Rocca's new building. It upsets me that people who don't own the property have say on what someone else could put there. Queen street is what 3 or 4 blocks away if the neighbors had a problem with the height than thats a different stroy.

It seems selfish to block other peoples ambitions just for the simplicity of being able to see water my advice do not live so far inland and you'll never have to worry about. Hell live on an island and your entire life will consist of seeing water.

Though I can sympathize with losing sightlines (I've had this happen as well in the past), I agree w/ Seely...It's almost a foregone conclusion that if one buys property in a downtown core, that sooner or later, people will build around them...if one builds / buys CLOSE to water, with sightlines, I guess most people would go in with the understanding that this could change at some point, and that the waterfront could undergo extreme development...it's still a pain in the ass for those who will lose sightlines, but I don't think that that should dictate heavily on the design of a a waterfront development (I know it's not a popular opinion, but I do see the heritage zone as an exception to this rule in most cases).

One of the few cities I've been in that have laws to prevent this type of scenario is Athens - there are NO highrises, and there are views of the elevated Acropolis from all parts of the city.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostModernPrometheus View Post

Though I can sympathize with losing sightlines (I've had this happen as well in the past), I agree w/ Seely...It's almost a foregone conclusion that if one buys property in a downtown core, that sooner or later, people will build around them...if one builds / buys CLOSE to water, with sightlines, I guess most people would go in with the understanding that this could change at some point, and that the waterfront could undergo extreme development...it's still a pain in the ass for those who will lose sightlines, but I don't think that that should dictate heavily on the design of a a waterfront development (I know it's not a popular opinion, but I do see the heritage zone as an exception to this rule in most cases).

One of the few cities I've been in that have laws to prevent this type of scenario is Athens - there are NO highrises, and there are views of the elevated Acropolis from all parts of the city.
lol yes athens is pretty crazy

sandy hodgess^

Maybe one day we can get there

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 10:56 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJTOKO View Post
As expected there is opposition. I wish these people would just GET OVER IT. Better prevent the cruise ships from coming into the harbour if your worried about sight lines. When the cruise ships are in they block up EVERYTHING.. Rocca's building looks small.. Man these people are idiots; they won't allow a 9 story building in Germain but complain about what looks looks like a 5 story building on the waterfront..... START BUILDING HIGH RISES IN THE CORE AND YOU WON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SIGHT LINES!
I watched some of this; the West-side developments were pushed through with no problem but the Ellerdale met opposition from ppl who don't live anywhere nearby. The neighbours actually spoke in favour. I was pleased to see a unanimous vote for 1st and 2nd reading in the end, but they entertained some lady for like an hour who didn't know what she was opposing- instead of saying thanks for coming and leaving it at that, they kept asking her questions...maybe it was to clarify she was nuts...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 11:03 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seely32 View Post
I would be extremely pissed if thi building is scaled down to 3 or 4 stories. What a waste of a prime location that would be.
The parking garage is 3 stories alone, it needs to be of sufficient size to make it affordable. If not accepted through third reading this time, I think he's gonna walk away from the project...it will likely proceed.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 11:17 PM
Unregistered Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seely32 View Post

If anyone wants to preserve their view, let them buy the land...too late!

Old Posted Jan 22, 2008, 11:59 PM
Harbour Passage User

Originally posted by SJTOKO:

Better prevent the cruise ships from coming into the harbour if your worried about sight lines. When the cruise ships are in they block up EVERYTHING..

could we ask the cruise ships to back into the cruiseship terminal, thus presenting less of a view block?

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:00 AM
Believer in the future

I'm wondering what impact Ross Jefferson's (GM Waterfront Development Partnership) and Dick Daigle's (President Uptown Saint John) comments will have on the Rocca development. Both of these guy's are speaking out against blocking "sightlines" and my guess is that both of them have more pull that 100 citizens combined. Noteworthy to mention that they both support the project but are looking for a 'smaller-scaled down' version. Rocca owns the land now and I would bet he wants to do something - Just how far is the city prepared to permit him to go? That's the question.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:03 AM
Harbour Passage User

Good point random.....and to further complicate the picture, keep in mind there is a municipal election looming in 4 months....a vote is a vote, and from that perspective, 100 citizens may "outweigh" any given beurocrat, president or figurehead...

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:05 AM

I've been wondering this for a while - maybe it's time for those of us on the forum, if we haven't already, to actually express our viewpoints to the city on these development issues. If a bunch of random citizen can complain about something, then why can't we equally send letters stating our support for them.

This Rocca development seems like a good example. I'm seriously considering mailing several letters to Norm, Jim Baird, etc. this week telling them that I support higher-density housing developments in the Uptown core and that I personally feel as if limiting the height of new buildings would be a detriment to the city and a wasted opportunity.

(and as a P.S., I think I'll add: "So when's the Cruise Ship Welcome Centre breaking ground?" )

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:07 AM
Our Tide is Rising

Man it would stink to lose or have to scale down a nice downtown development over "sight lines"...might want to talk to the halifax crew about that, they won a similar battle regarding the "Twisted Sisters".

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:16 AM
Harbour Passage User

Thumbs up

Kwajo -

Interesting idea....what would you propose in terms of how interested persons on the forum could help/contribute? (count me in, btw)

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:16 AM
Harbour Passage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu_pendousmat2 View Post
Man it would stink to lose or have to scale down a nice downtown development over "sight lines"...might want to talk to the halifax crew about that, they won a similar battle regarding the "Twisted Sisters".
Good thought....learning from the experiences/mistakes/successes of others can really simplify things

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo View Post
I've been wondering this for a while - maybe it's time for those of us on the forum, if we haven't already, to actually express our viewpoints to the city on these development issues. If a bunch of random citizen can complain about something, then why can't we equally send letters stating our support for them.

This Rocca development seems like a good example. I'm seriously considering mailing several letters to Norm, Jim Baird, etc. this week telling them that I support higher-density housing developments in the Uptown core and that I personally feel as if limiting the height of new buildings would be a detriment to the city and a wasted opportunity.

(and as a P.S., I think I'll add: "So when's the Cruise Ship Welcome Centre breaking ground?" )
haha

I wanted to attend last night but I had work.

The next council meeting I may leave lunch early just to go there in support of this building not so much rocca but just this building.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 1:53 AM
Harbour Passage User

Schryer has a plan for Churchill Blvd.
January 22, 2008 - 7:13 pm
By: Denise Barkhouse - News 88.9 Staff

SAINT JOHN - A long-term plan to revitalize a public housing neighbourhood in the city's North end.

Social Development Minister Mary Schryer told News 88.9 the department will put together a master revitalization plan for Churchill Boulevard.

"It's going to depend on consultation with the residents and with community stakeholders, the city of Saint John, Vibrant Communities, BCAPI, Urban Core and individuals...anybody that wants to give us input."

The eighty-eight tenants will be relocated to other subsidized housing units throughout the city until the plan is executed.

The units, built in the 1950s, require a number of upgrades ranging from new roofing, siding, plumbing and insulation.

Construction will begin in May of 2010.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2008, 2:20 AM

If you guys want more information on real estate developments or developments in general you should attend this meeting...

New Brunswick Real Estate Association
Annual General Meeting
February 20 to 21
Saint John
(506) 459-8055

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces