HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Dec 18, 2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7 View Post
I know Frost is headquarted here. But they chose to build and invest in Austin by building the Frost Tower there which they don't even like in Austin. They called it the nose hair trimmer. They should of built that new infrastructure here in downtown San Antonio. Well, I guess a few on here don't even care where these business tycoons spend their money, well I do. Invest more at home. It's time to spread the wealth around and not just invest in only a certain part of Texas. What has Austin wealth done for the City of San Antonio, zippo! At least I don't think so. NO Longhorns for me, thank you.

FACTOID:
San Antonio will NEVER cease being the 7th largest city in the U.S. for a long time! Even Mayor Castro knows that, duh! He has said it publicly many times. He also knows that we ARE the 2nd largest city in Texas. No matter how much the naysayers on this forum try to deny it it will still prevail as the absolute statistical truth!!!
What would we do with that tower here? Let it sit empty?
We need to focus on what infrastructure we don't have, and that is residential
buildings to counter the rest of the built environment in our DT; but that's a completely different subject.

And I hope that at some point we WILL cease (you said never) being the 7th largest city. With Philly growing slowly (city, not metro) over the last decade after losing population the last half century, we might pass them in the next few years; especially if the estimates are true that state that we will gain 200,000 people by 2015.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 7:00 AM

San Antonio seem to be more progressive back in the 60's 50's 40's 30's then today. Why is that

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 4:45 PM

Downtown Hotel Bankruptcy and the Green Wall

It looks another downtown hotel is suffering through this economy. That makes three (St.Anthony, Crowne Plaza and now the Riverwalk Plaza).

But what really caught my attention was the mention of the green wall. Have you all seen this? I saw it over the Thanksgiving weekend and it looks like some huge green screen set.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...tcy-911816.php

Quote:
The Riverwalk Plaza Hotel, recently ordered by the city to repaint an electric green wall on its south side, sought bankruptcy protection last week after losing a legal spat with a company that services its mortgage.
keep reading...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 4:51 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

Quote:
Originally Posted by adtobias View Post
San Antonio seem to be more progressive back in the 60's 50's 40's 30's then today. Why is that
yes. The Good Government League and segregation were so progressive....

Old Posted Dec 21, 2010, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
It looks another downtown hotel is suffering through this economy. That makes three (St.Anthony, Crowne Plaza and now the Riverwalk Plaza).

But what really caught my attention was the mention of the green wall. Have you all seen this? I saw it over the Thanksgiving weekend and it looks like some huge green screen set.

Here's a link to the article:
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...tcy-911816.php
The Crowne Plaza and St. Anthony both need an owner/investor with deeper pockets. As we have seen recently, those that renovate/remodel don't have issues; the Hyatt just renovated to stay competitive and Marriott Rivercenter is doing some renos as well (I think.) The CP and SA both have horrible meeting spaces (compared to the others) and that probably hurts their ability to compete on the convention level.

As for the green wall, I noticed it when it was going up, not sure when that was. While I think it COULD be a good idea, I still think that they should have at least run it past the HDRC. I don't agree with some of what the HDRC has to say, but thats the way it goes when you reside next to the river.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 10:37 PM

K-Mart

The downtown K-Mart is being demolished.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2010, 10:45 PM

The Broadway

Does anyone have friends or contacts with The Broadway.
I was trying to get access to take a beautiful picture of the Christmas Lights at Incarnate Word University. I contacted the office, but their being scrooges over there. Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to do this picture unless I know someone!! Please Help, Thanks

Old Posted Dec 23, 2010, 5:53 AM
Ex Houstonian

Lots of drama going on in this thread.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 12:37 AM
Weapon of Mass Creation

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7 View Post
I know Frost is headquarted here. But they chose to build and invest in Austin by building the Frost Tower there which they don't even like in Austin. They called it the nose hair trimmer. They should of built that new infrastructure here in downtown San Antonio.
Frost Bank did not build the Frost Bank Tower. They are just the major tenant.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 2:44 AM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

I don't think they are a major tenant at all.... they probably just financed it.

Old Posted Dec 24, 2010, 4:03 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
Whoa, Two Union Square has the highest flagpole in the US? Or in this round of comparisons? If so, I totally win -- I can see it out my window! Actually, I have to walk up to the window to see the flagpole, the building is so freakin' tall.
There may be higher ones in Europe, Australia or Asia, but that was the highest I could think of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7
I know Frost is headquarted here. But they chose to build and invest in Austin by building the Frost Tower there which they don't even like in Austin.
I don't like it either. I love it. And I'm not happy about a new squat hospital that is starting to block the view of it from my neighborhood.

And no, Frost Bank did not develop/build the tower. Cousins Properties did. Frost Bank also did not finance the tower. The building was at least half completed and nearly topped out before Frost Bank ever expressed interest in being a tenant in the building. They only signed to take space in the building 3 months before it topped out. Originally the building was to be named Congress at Fourth. And yes, Frost Bank does occupy a large amount of space. Frost Bank took 52,000 square feet in the building. 10% of the building's space. They totally vacated their old offices 5 blocks up the street.

Here's the original article form 2003 on Frost Bank signing for the space.
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsBy...rodtype=hourly

Quote:
Originally Posted by max7
What has Austin wealth done for the City of San Antonio, zippo! At least I don't think so
I'd say Austin has helped HEB's sales and a lot. HEB is much less popular in the rest of Texas, namely in Houston and Dallas. Randalls and Kroger have a larger share in Houston than HEB does. We've been shopping at HEB for at least 20 years. We would have done it longer, but there wasn't a store nearby.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 8:42 PM

Kevin, don't forget that HEB is also very popular in Corpus Christi, Laredo and the entire Valley.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2010, 11:14 PM
Meh

Yes, they're just about the only grocery store chain in those markets. There are some Wal-mart supercenters, but HEB is still beating Wal-mart in sales in Texas.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted Dec 30, 2010, 7:35 PM

With the exception of Sun Harvest, HEB is the only decent grocery chain down in the valley. Without HEB, we'd only have Walmart. :\

Old Posted Dec 31, 2010, 4:39 AM
Paradise

So Texas de Brazil opened.
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/downtow...azil-now-open/
So that plus Luke are the new restaurants on Houston Street. Sounds like that street is becoming a bit more exciting.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2011, 4:25 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fLLHSuJcrI

This restaurant is very sexy!

p.s. I didn't know spiderman had a sister.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 4:48 AM
Paradise

This story about Marmon Mok has some renderings of the Municipal Auditorium renovations. Nothing real new but pretty neat anyways.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ure-937153.php

Old Posted Jan 5, 2011, 4:55 PM

Happy New Year

Old Posted Jan 7, 2011, 5:11 AM
JACKinBeantown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
This story about Marmon Mok has some renderings of the Municipal Auditorium renovations. Nothing real new but pretty neat anyways.
http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...ure-937153.php

I'm not crazy about the exterior of the building addition, but the plaza garden area looks kinda nice.

Old Posted Jan 8, 2011, 12:52 AM

Its like most other DT SA buildings: best appreciated from the River.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio