HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 4:52 PM

Calgary Roads

Thread to talk about Calgary roads.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 6:25 PM
Change is good

The deerfoot is always clogged and congested.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:10 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
The deerfoot is always clogged and congested.
Is is better or worse than Deerfoot?
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:28 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

You guys allergic to the word "Trail"?

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 8:35 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:14 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 9:31 PM

Nice to see a thread about roads!

-Does anybody know why Northbound Deerfoot speed limit slows down to 80km/h right after the Calf Robe bridge? I know there was roadworks being done there a while back but I haven't seen any work being done for months.

-Elbow drive desperately needs to be repaved
-McKnight Blvd desperately needs to be repaved

-Where do you think the next big interchange project will be? (Exlcluding the Ring Road) I'd say MacLeod and Heritage Dr.

-Why are Calgary traffic engineers so in love with traffic lights and 4 way stops? Especially traffic lights at "interchanges". Defeats the whole purpose.

-I'd like to see some tinkering with the traffic light programming and synchronization to help traffic flow. Some of the lights are ridiculous. If you do the speed limit on MacLeod you'll hit nearly every damn red light. Go 20km/h over the limit and it's smooth sailing.

/rant

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 9:53 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
^Well I was poking fun at the use of the colloquialism "the Deerfoot."
But then you have to be consistent. No one likes a half-ass pedant.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 9:55 PM
Change is good

Comedy knows no ends here folks... Lighten up a bit Riise

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 9:56 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Now that the ground is starting to thaw, potholes are beginning to apppear in a few places. This beauty at 23rd Ave @ 31st ST SW was created by the City when they did some work in the winter. Now that it's warmer, it has sunk about a foot.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 9:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Now that the ground is starting to thaw, potholes are beginning to apppear in a few places. This beauty at 23rd Ave @ 31st ST SW was created by the City when they did some work in the winter. Now that it's warmer, it has sunk about a foot.

Jeeeeesus.

There's one pothole on McKnight that the city keeps repaving over and over. They'll fix it and literally 3 days later it's back again. I think the high amount of heavy truck traffic doesn't help.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 10:06 PM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 23, 2010 at 4:15 AM.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 10:28 PM

Yeah, this winter has been really bad for potholes. The city has been pretty good about fixing the ones on Crowchild, but the ones I've learned to keep on eye are are the ones in parking lots. Coming out the north end of Market Mall theres a huge one, and theres another in the west lot at McMahon thats nearly the width of my car now and getting worse. Out in Cochrane a lot of the roads are badly damaged, the town for the past decade has been taking the easy way out of fixing issues by just tarring over the cracks to the extent that in soem places the strip of tar is 2+ feet wide, and this winter the pavement has just fallen apart. Theres one stretch down from my house that is almost like driving on a gravel road now, fortunately I believe its on the 'to be repaved' list for this year anyways.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 10:34 PM
恭喜发财!

When is the Glenmore/Deerfoot interchange scheduled for rebuilding? It, like pretty much every other interchange on Deerfoot, is a total disaster.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2009, 11:07 PM

Glenmore@Deerfoot and Glenmore@Blackfoot are being redone at the same time, they've done some initial study of it but not much further.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 12:49 AM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisYYC View Post
-Why are Calgary traffic engineers so in love with traffic lights and 4 way stops? Especially traffic lights at "interchanges". Defeats the whole purpose.
I'd love to see the Roads Department develop some sort of procedure to determine the feasibility of installing roundabouts/traffic-circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Comedy knows no ends here folks... Lighten up a bit Riise
I was just poking fun of your use of the word "the". I find it funny when people call it "The Deerfoot".
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
I'd love to see the Roads Department develop some sort of procedure to determine the feasibility of installing roundabouts/traffic-circles.
I wonder how practical it would be to convert 16th Ave and Deerfoot interchange to a hybrid roundabout? If you had a 4 lane East-West flyover and then reconfigured the lanes on the bridges it might work. And it would be pretty cheap as there wouldn't be much earth moving and the elevations on each side would work to your advantage.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 3:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riise View Post
I think this is being looked at, although more by Transportation Planning than by Roads I believe. Roundabouts are great for moving traffic at low volume intersections, however if the degree of saturation rises above 0.85, they basically fall over (metaphorically, or course). So they would be a good thing at smaller, neighbourhood intersections instead of a set of lights. But you will never see a roundabout replace something like MacLeod and Anderson.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 3:24 AM
City Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolfire View Post
I wonder how practical it would be to convert 16th Ave and Deerfoot interchange to a hybrid roundabout? If you had a 4 lane East-West flyover and then reconfigured the lanes on the bridges it might work. And it would be pretty cheap as there wouldn't be much earth moving and the elevations on each side would work to your advantage.
I saw an intersection similar to this in Spain but I can't remember where it was exactly. I've been searching the Costa Del Sol area in Google Earth in an attempt to get an image but haven't had any success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS View Post
So they would be a good thing at smaller, neighbourhood intersections instead of a set of lights. But you will never see a roundabout replace something like MacLeod and Anderson.
Oh yeah, of course. I was thinking about situations like 4-way stops and non-regulated intersections in rez neighbourhoods, as well as, smaller yet busy intersections in other areas. However, seeing a roundabout with lights being placed at a major intersection would be interesting.
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Apr 7, 2009, 3:30 AM

There is a roundabout with lights at all 4 entrances here in Brisbane. It is on a pretty major roadway that leads to the airport, and is also part of the interchange to the major N-S highway here in Queensland. It is terrible, with massive queues and delays in peak hour. They are spending hundreds of millions of dollars in upgrading it to a multi-level flyover or something (haven't seen the final design).

It is kind of odd that Brisbane seems to be moving in the opposite of Calgary. Here, I get many calls from residents (I work for the Department of Main Roads) wanting to have roundabouts removed and replaced with signalized intersections.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure