HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 8:48 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx88844 View Post
Agreed - that allows for all power 5 champions and 1 at large (ND perhaps). It would also allow for one of those undefeated group of 5 teams to potentially play which could be fun and give them something to play for.
That's a recipe for turning all P5 non-conference games into a literally completely meaningless preseason. Bring out everybody's third stringers for the first month! No thanks.

The product y'all want to watch already exists. Go watch the No Fun League and let college football be college football.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2017, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
Going 0-for-Arizona is embarrassing.
Given the lateness of the ASU game I listened to the 4th quarter on my favorite radio... in bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
...not playing in the Sam's Tuscon Bail Bonds Dumpster Bowl
That game in Tucson is a ball buster. People come from far and wide to watch that scrum.

Quote:
The product y'all want to watch already exists. Go watch the No Fun League and let college football be college football.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:35 PM

Quote:
That's a recipe for turning all P5 non-conference games into a literally completely meaningless preseason. Bring out everybody's third stringers for the first month! No thanks.

Or it will force programs to schedule better opponents from other power 5 leagues so we never have another non-conference schedule like we did this year. I think the fan-bases deserve to see non-cupcake games in September. Look at Washington and Wisconsin this year - their easy schedules with their third-stringers as you put it could bite them in the rear now that the season is almost over.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 9:09 PM

That's wishful thinking. Why would a system that solely rewards conference championships force better non-conference games? There's no reason for it to. Making those games meaningless might result in some friendly exhibitions, but since losing them wouldn't matter and nobody's going to want to risk injuring their stars for a meaningless game, they won't be good games.

But sure, if you think more games between the Colorado and Wisconsin third-stringers would be exciting, that's a system that might deliver for you. Can't say I'd care to watch that though.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 2:20 AM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Welcome to CU 2015 2017!

"Hi we can play you, but our mistakes will beat us more than you beat us."

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 10:33 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:

Anyway, the Colorado/Utah game will probably be a play-in game for a bowl berth, for whichever teams wins. IIRC that's two years in a row the game will be meaningful to both teams. What can we do to cement this rivalry?
Well it was. But the rivalry is non-existent since CU regressed to the mean of being a perennial basement dweller. A 2 and 5 record after a 40-year hiatus isn't enough to get anyone excited.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 10, 2018, 9:17 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Quote:
But see Tad Boyle.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 8:41 PM

Buffs looked good against a struggling Rams team....I don't want to get my hopes up, but this week's game against Nebraska will give us a good indication if CU is for real.

Utah also looked very very good

Arizona...not so much.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx88844 View Post
Buffs looked good against a struggling Rams team....I don't want to get my hopes up, but this week's game against Nebraska will give us a good indication if CU is for real.

Utah also looked very very good

Arizona...not so much.
Who cares about Arizona? I'm cautiously optimistic about BYU and enjoyed the win after that forgettable, awful year last year.

Go Cougs!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2018, 6:50 PM

BYU has Cal this weekend - that should be a great game!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:19 PM

BYU might actually be a giant killer! Wow!

Buffs are 3-0 which gives me some hope for the season. If Colorado can dispatch UCLA on 09/28 with a convincing win, closing the game out early that will be a huge confidence boost.

Sorry not sorry for CSU and Nebraska’s woes

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 1:58 PM

Pac 12 south is really up for grabs. USC doesn't look great, UCLA looks absolutely atrocious, Arizona is baaad, Colorado looks ok, ASU looks serviceable, Utah has not offense but that defense will win some games.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrendog View Post
Pac 12 south is really up for grabs. USC doesn't look great, UCLA looks absolutely atrocious, Arizona is baaad, Colorado looks ok, ASU looks serviceable, Utah has not offense but that defense will win some games.
No joke - my favorite stat of last weekend was the -5 yards rushing for USC against Texas. So much for that 5 star talent they get every year.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 9:22 PM

Ranked 21 and 22 in the polls...we will see if CU is legit after this weekend - matching up against ASU

Meanwhile Utah has Stanford this weekend - let's see how angry the Cardinal is this weekend after getting their butts kicked by Notre Dame.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2018, 11:26 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Wow. That game was Hawkins v. Kansas bad.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 2:18 AM
Space Magi

Utah beats the Buffs and finally wins the division.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 4:35 AM

Congrats Utes. As a BYU fan, it's hard to admit when your rival is really good, and well, you guys are really good.

Go Cougs! Beat the Utes!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 3:21 PM

Congrat, Utes. We'll have to solidify this rivalry somehow.

And I don't know what the story is with CU's epic collapse this year. But this was a make or break year for Mac, and after this kind of break he clearly needs to go.

What's next? I want a recruiter. I don't want another mid-major coach who can't recruit at the P5 level. We need someone who can bring in talent. Either that or we need to accept that we'll have lower tier talent, and hire a triple option coach as an equalizer.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 9:29 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Congrat, Utes. We'll have to solidify this rivalry somehow.

And I don't know what the story is with CU's epic collapse this year. But this was a make or break year for Mac, and after this kind of break he clearly needs to go.

What's next? I want a recruiter. I don't want another mid-major coach who can't recruit at the P5 level. We need someone who can bring in talent. Either that or we need to accept that we'll have lower tier talent, and hire a triple option coach as an equalizer.
This year just reaffirms that our goal should be bowl eligibility. For a hot second I thought maybe that was aiming too low. But nope, that aiming exactly in the right spot.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 9:45 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
This year just reaffirms that our goal should be bowl eligibility. For a hot second I thought maybe that was aiming too low. But nope, that aiming exactly in the right spot.
Hell, CU just needs to aim for not getting booted out of the PAC. There's plenty of other watchable programs out there with higher ceilings.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West